• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

cookienut

Banned
Meh. Playing it on x1 right now and it's fine. If it's the worst performance version... It seems to be holding up fine for me. Oh well.

Loudninja

In all the combat scenes looks like the XB1 hold the fps better. I guess its not so important to DF.
It's a clear result across city areas, but surprisingly PS4 has a shortcoming elsewhere. While most battles produce a similar overall frame-rate, shootouts involving heavy transparency effects can affect PS4 more negatively than we'd expect. In extreme cases, such as on approaching an early Deathclaw enemy in Concord town, PS4 wavers close to the 20fps line when letting rip on a minigun. Fire, smoke, and blood splatter effects collide, and on re-testing this section several times on both consoles, Xbox One consistently produces a near-unshakable 30fps. It's possible this is a side-effect of Bethesda's choice to begin engine optimisations on Xbox One - but even so, PS4's lengthy stretches at the low 20fps range are out of place, given its advantages in every other area.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seems like some patches are in order. PS4 turns in better numbers by default, but it seems like certain scenarios should not be impacted as bad as they are

WarpathDC

That is some selective editing in the OP... I watched all the vids and there were drops on both. The PS4 version ran at 24 during the boss fight while the xbone ran closer to 30. There were generally more drops on xbone though. I'm just saying if you just read the excerpts and didn't watch the video you'd think the xbone version was total shit and that's not a good look IMO.

Getting it on PC FWIW but all versions look definitely playable

The thing with PS3 Skyrim is you needed a 60+ hour save to see the effects. Xbone owners hit 0fps right from the start.

Bethesda has some explaining to do, especially after all those tweets about a "solid" 30fps and not noticing any framerate issues. Pete Hines is either shielded from what the game really looks like or he's just flat-out lying.

Uh... people expect him to be honest? What do you pretend for him to say, "our game falls down to a very cinematic 24fps in cities"?

Another

giphy.gif

I will be honest, I doubted.

I mean after Skyrim on PS3, yes... There was doubt that Bethesda couldn't get it done on playstation tbh. I, long before that thread, preordered mines the day after the announcement - for the XB1. I had a strong feeling that Bethesda would really fuck up a PS4 port. Feels good to know I'm wrong.

Well the PS4 architecture is much more streamlined/closer to PC than cell which was a nightmare. Being more powerful than XB1too, I was expecting a result like this with both systems having optimization issues but the PS4 pulling ahead overall.

PS4 will always have the better performing multiplatform releases, anyone that says otherwise . . . I want some of what they've been smoking.

What I find amusing is the cheer leading of people who are delighted in the way that the Xbox performs here. That's a little weird. Boom!

You also had people in that embarrassing framerate thread gleefully saying how they're swapping to XB1 versions of the game and cancelling their PS4 order.

Warriors are everywhere, just use your fanboy filter lol

FATALITY

Banned
According to DF the PS4 version has a slight advantage overall, but the Xbox version does hold up better in some areas. Not too big of a difference overall besides a few small occurances here and there. Seems like it's going to be a very similar experience on either console.

Hummmmmm
For now though, evidence so far suggests those buying Fallout 4 on console should get an overall smoother experience from PS4.

Curufinwe

Has anyone compiled some of the posts from this weekend where people assumed the Xbone version would be better than the PS4 version because the 360 versions of Bethesda games were better than the PS3 ones?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Forget frames per second, we need seconds per frame.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Almost worst than this game performance are the animations. Boy, they are beyond awful.

gdt

Terrible performance one both consoles. Obviously X1 more so.

As always, good to be getting this on PC.

Top Bottom