• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

Angel_DvA

MDMBbl.gif

Amazing lol, Fallout 4 in X1 to be the PS3 Skyrim?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Is it okay to say Bethesda are lazy fucking devs? The game looks like last gen and runs like shit. This shouldn't be acceptable.

Durante

The shadow/LOD difference between PC and consoles is way larger than I expected, the differences looking bigger than TW3.
It's what I expected after those PS4 shots vs. the trailer footage.

Yeah god rays are full res on PC.

Gotta say it's good to see Bethesda not settling for console/pc parity, with PC's higher settings pushing visibly ahead of consoles.
Another good news is that the game appears very scalable on PC so entry level gaming hardware should have no issues as long as settings are kept close to consoles.
It also still has uGridsToLoad, which makes an absolutely massive LOD difference and is also insanely expensive.

Check Andy's comparison from in-game "Ultra" to fully tweaked .ini: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-001-ugrids-13-fully-tweaked-vs-ugrids-5.html
(I'd like to see "Medium" vs. that just for fun)

Thta 0 fps reminds me of what happens to me whenever I play any STALKER game. It can be running at 60fps but the engine goes FUCK YOU and drops to 0.

This actually makes me laugh after this morning's Xbone love-in threads that were clearly started in the wake of the PS4 performance issue thread.

Kezen

Banned
The shadow/LOD difference between PC and consoles is way larger than I expected, the differences looking bigger than TW3.

With DX12 it could become even more significant, while reducing the cost.

There was a time when I worried about DX11 that was said to be horribly slow and inefficient, I was worried that getting better LOD/draw distance/shadows was going to be difficult.

Well, I'm not unhappy with how things have turned out.

CloudWolf

Conclusion: PC is always the best option with Bethesda games.

I do think that the X1 stutter-bug will get fixed. Bethesda always gave more shits about Microsofts consoles than Playstation.

zma1013

So beyond the framerate of the game, does anyone know if the game is the normal Bethesda bag of glitches and freezes?

Kane1345

XBO version is superior. People who experience even low amounts of radiation and in addition are malnourished can experience heartburn and frequent black outs, this is perfectly emulated by the 0 fps.

The true experience

I love this thread

Kssio_Aug

Is it okay to say Bethesda are lazy fucking devs? The game looks like last gen and runs like shit. This shouldn't be acceptable.

I would not say they're lazy devs. Fallout is a big game in scope after all... But I do believe they made a bad decision insisting on keeping it at 1080p though. In that case I think the right choice would be to drop it to 900p.

I do think that the X1 stutter-bug will get fixed. Bethesda always gave more shits about Microsofts consoles than Playstation.

To be fair,PC is the best option for the vast majority of games, as you can pay more money for a better experience. :)

And to think that some people thought Bethesda was favoring Microsoft... Sigh.

Now let's wait for the overall analysis. Although I expect little difference graphically between the consoles.

TyrantII

So XB1 I herited the FO3 PS3 shuddering issue? Blargh...

I'm really interested now in seeing how the game runs when the save file balloons to 50MB. It was a death knell last gen...

LiK

yea, pretty much. Bethesda never fixed a lot of bugs for FO3 on PC. the community did that with the unofficial patch. i'll def double dip on Pc when it's on a Steam sale just for better performance and weird mods.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
It's what I expected after those PS4 shots vs. the trailer footage.

It also still has uGridsToLoad, which makes an absolutely massive LOD difference and is also insanely expensive.

Check Andy's comparison from in-game "Ultra" to fully tweaked .ini: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-001-ugrids-13-fully-tweaked-vs-ugrids-5.html
(I'd like to see "Medium" vs. that just for fun)

Wow, the amount of detail that is added to the buildings on the left is gigantic.

There's even a boat that wasn't there on the in-game "Ultra"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
With the requirements this game has ? I don't think so.
Also, no point in half assing it. Either go big or go home, so PC playthrough should be on ultra, the way it's meant to be.

Well fuck, I guess I should get a PS4 then, my PC can't run new games on ultra.

Gwyn

Xbone has 0 fps photomode and ps4 has 20 fps cinematic mode while in combat.

No thanks, i can wait.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So basically both console versions suck, awesome!

Xbone version sucks hardest but 0fps seems more like a bug TBH, hopefully it will get a patch asap...how in the hell can they ship a game that actually STOPS mid gameplay..lol.

I'm not picking this game up until I've finished Tomb Raider, so I hope the Xbox version is improved by then. If not I'm gonna have to go PS4.

driver116

Not really. Skyrim was actually worse than this.

I know, I was fooling.

I actually had the PS3 version of Skyrim - it had a much more variable frame rate - aside from the book script bug causing heavy drops. Also, far more pop-in than the 360 version, short draw distance and muddier textures. And longer loading times.

Yeah, the performance issues I said I was starting to experience have gotten worse the more I've played. Definitely starting to affect my enjoyment of the gameplay as I can't aim for shit when the frames start dropping. Think I'm gonna shelve it for now and wait for a patch.

I would be mad, both at the issues and at myself for pre-ordering, but I have TW3 to start. So I don't really care too much (despite loving what I played).

KevinG

I really cannot tell how many of you are seriously looking at the "0 fps" as a framerate drop, or just using this as an opportunity to poke fun at the Xbox One.

It's very obviously a brief hitch or bug (as Y2Kev suggested above). I'm sure this happens in all versions, because it is Bethesda. It just happened to occur in on the One for the DF analysis. I saw the very same kinds of hitches in the PS4 version from the leaked footage this weekend.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Can't believe how well the i3/750ti combo still stacks up against consoles. Completely blowing out the ps4 even with better draw distance.

I wonder why they don't switch out the 750ti for a 960?

Nzyme32

Fuck it, i3 4130/GTX 750 Ti runs way better than the console versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipDWbd6HNg

Yeah, yet another game where that kind of budget system works really well even at a fidelity and performance surpassing the console versions. Apparently the scaling to different hardware is very good for FO4 too, which bodes well for the majority of people who are not focused on the budget spec side of things

danowat

Banned
Yeah, the performance issues I said I was starting to experience have gotten worse the more I've played. Definitely starting to affect my enjoyment of the gameplay as I can't aim for shit when the frames start dropping. Think I'm gonna shelve it for now and wait for a patch.

I would be mad, both at the issues and at myself for pre-ordering, but I have TW3 to start. So I don't really care too much (despite loving what I played).

PS4 version right?, sounds worrying...........

Top Bottom