• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

Cornbread78

On top of this, Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps.
VLOkx5B.jpg

tumblr_inline_ncvtk4xKUZ1sudmuy.gif

How does that even work in 2015? I mean, damn, and people thought their PS3 port issues were bad...

neoism

okay, happy I preordered the PS4 one now.

same framerates like this dont bother me as much as most of gaf.... i will be to buzzy enjoying the game... i have been playing mgs5 alot but i can easily get used to this... with playing games like bloodborne..

That Deathclaw scene is very weird. Droping to 25fps on PS4 and stays 30fps on Xbox.
Looks to me this is unoptimized mess imo.

Given the PS4's significant GPU advantage, I don't see how it could struggle in a situation like that. Bethesda gonna Bethesda.

Durante

XO version is a more realistic wasteland, pc version is too bloated and "pretty" for a barren wasteland. It feels kinda out of place tbh.
I love your posts in these threads.

It's just nice after a terrible few years of PC ports to get a game that works "well" on PC out of the box. Even if it's not truly a graphically intense game.
There haven't been "terrible few years" of PC ports. That's completely fictitious.
Out of hundreds of PC ports over the past few years, one was pretty bad (AK), a few had some sporadic issues at launch, and a few lacked in options. The vast majority was good, or at least superior to their console versions. (And in many cases, silly people refuse to believe that there are viable options other than to play everything at MAX and then blame developers)

Into

XBO version is superior. People who experience even low amounts of radiation and in addition are malnourished can experience heartburn and frequent black outs, this is perfectly emulated by the 0 fps.

The true experience

jayu26

Where is the thread were we predicted which game will be technical mess this holiday season? I think I voted for fallout, I think it won too.

Theorry

Well if in one part it stays 28fps on PS4 but drops to 0fps Xbone you know it's a mess of a port.

Thats why really. I mean that stutter issue is more a bug i think.
But overall the fps is abit smoother on PS4 but that section suddenly gives Xbox One the advantage. I mean its a complete mess then if its so inconsistent.
The nerve to release it that way. But i guess they win because it only gets very good reviews. They will never change then.

hwy_61

Banned
XBO version is superior. People who experience even low amounts of radiation and in addition are malnourished can experience heartburn and frequent black outs, this is perfectly emulated by the 0 fps.

The true experience

rofl

Kssio_Aug

The true experience

Ok dude... the same joke was already made like 10x now.

NeonBlack

What's so explosive about that comment? I thought people expected this? Although, I haven't read through that ridiculous 60 pager about framerate dips indoors.
Along with people changing their preorders to Xbox, there was also people saying MS must have moneyhatted there way to a better version.

XO version is a more realistic wasteland, pc version is too bloated and "pretty" for a barren wasteland. It feels kinda out of place tbh.
Plus that high frame rate gives it a weird soap opera feels, no thank you

The draw distance is awful, is worse than last gen versions of Skyrim.

I wasn't expecting that the console versions would be that bad :/

Was it ever in doubt PS4 version would come out on top.

The ridiculous conspiracy posts in that 70 page thread were so laughable.

Surely a new benchmark set by XB1. I mean 0fps at one stage is insane.

I mean after Skyrim on PS3, yes... There was doubt that Bethesda couldn't get it done on playstation tbh. I, long before that thread, preordered mines the day after the announcement - for the XB1. I had a strong feeling that Bethesda would really fuck up a PS4 port. Feels good to know I'm wrong.

amnesiac

Man I remember when F4 was first revealed and people were so unimpressed with the graphics they were like "but it's going to be 60fps, right?"

And here the game is, struggling to even stay at 30fps at times. What a bummer.

Lucreto

Much crow will be eaten by some.

I also laugh at the people who changed preorders just based on that thread.

I am so looking forward to playing the game all day tomorrow.

I love your posts in these threads.

There haven't been "terrible few years" of PC ports. That's completely fictitious.
Out of hundreds of PC ports over the past few years, one was pretty bad (AK), a few had some sporadic issues at launch, and a few lacked in options. The vast majority was good, or at least superior to their console versions. (And in many cases, silly people refuse to believe that there are viable options other than to play everything at MAX and then blame developers)

No I can pretty concretely say as an avid PC gamer that it seems rare to get a AAA title that doesn't need to be turned down to medium or medium/high on a 970 to get a playable frame rate or that doesn't have serious issues for the first two weeks or so while the console versions perform up to par.

I have a gaming PC to play games at higher settings than the console at 60 fps. Not to settle for near console quality at 60 fps if I'm lucky.

Elandyll

Banned
Sorry, can't stop laughing at the pretense outrage in the other thread, and the people who said (seriously) that they were switching their pre order to XB1.
Honestly, at both 1080p30 there should be even more of a difference logically, but I guess there was a target render.

Problem with that is that it emphasizes uniformity (no good points either way, not pushing hardware anywhere) and the low points (where the lack of time to optimize makes both machines falter, the weaker one -logically- moreso than the other - down to a staggering 0 fps, which will probably be patched).

Kssio_Aug

think you hit a nerve with this one

Whatever... I really don't think repeating the same joke over and over is funny.

I'm kind shocked by how bad the hiccups are in the XB1 version. I would not mind if they weren't frequent, but the video makes it feels like it is, unfortunately.

To be very honest, I was expecting some frame-rate issues as the PS4 version suffers in the video. But all those 0fps issues, that's serious shit... I hope they can patch it, if its really frequent.

Top Bottom