• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

hwy_61

Banned
MDMBbl.gif

godDAMN.

Holy shit

I mean after Skyrim on PS3, yes... There was doubt that Bethesda couldn't get it done on playstation tbh. I, long before that thread, preordered mines the day after the announcement - for the XB1. I had a strong feeling that Bethesda would really fuck up a PS4 port. Feels good to know I'm wrong.
PS3 had a bizarre processor and architecture, it wasn't the fact that it was named "Playstation" that gave devs so much trouble.

Kezen

Banned
The draw distance is awful, is worse than last gen versions of Skyrim.

I wasn't expecting that the console versions would be that bad :/

Jaguar CPUs. Enough said I think.
Even with the colossal DX11 CPU overhead a Core I3 apparently has no issues besting consoles.

And the shadows are not even the only discrepancy between PC's top settings and consoles, volumetric lighting is severely nerged on consoles.

PS3 had a bizarre processor and architecture, it wasn't the fact that it was named "Playstation" that gave devs so much trouble.

True but I sure felt like it. Support for it was so weak and I felt like Bethesda really stopped giving af about the PS3 for a while. It did feel like they were more buddy buddy with Microsoft throughout that whole era. It's not crazy to think that especially when you saw it in action.

Henrar

Funny enough, though, Oblivion on PS3 didn't suffer rimlag bug as Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim did on PS3.

Also, the problem is not really related to PS3. It existed way before that - in Morrowind on the first Xbox.

tmtyf

Hours spent arguing in the other thread, some reporting no issues, some reporting major issues... Can we just look at it as there being various (unknown) factors that cause the framerate drops from one system to another?

I seriously don't believe that "0 fps" is actually thing in every experience. DF ran into a freeze/glitch in this particular section. I feel like all the people who have the Xbox One version would have reported in about the major, literally no frames, hiccup in their experience.

With the Xbox I could see some of the issues happening due to what hdd being used, clearing cache etc. I've seen some games run like crap on mine and be smooth on a buddies until I swapped my external hdd to a new one (was using a old PoS).

Same with ps4. The people saying they ran into no slowdowns maybe are using a different hdd than stock and it's helping things somewhat.

So better LOD, shadows and volumetric lighting on PC ?
Yeah, seems like it.

-Shadow res seems to be 2x
-Volumetric effect resolution is about 3-6x higher (assuming the highest PC setting runs native resolution or half-res in comparison to the given 480x270)?
-Shadow render distance seems to be about 10x as far tbh. Would be interesting to see if there are markers for console settings in the .ini like cryengine games.

valkyre

Once again, unbelievable the state the game has been launched at...

That Xbox1 stutter is laughable... I cant believe Bethesda released the game like this.

Not that PS4 is much better.

But hey who cares right? Its Bethesda. Gfx, bugs, performance dont matter as long as you can fill a room with a ton of loot...GOTY!

T.O.P

Banned

Dafuq Bathesda??

Meanwhile, for those with PC as their platform of choice, all the signs look good for a smooth experience even on budget kit

I got it on pc so that's all i really care but i have a couple of friends extremely excited to pick up their X1 copies and this shit saddens me, let's hope that a patch will help this out

GorillaJu

True but I sure felt like it. Support for it was so weak and I felt like Bethesda really stopped giving af about the PS3 for a while. It did feel like they were more buddy buddy with Microsoft throughout that whole era. It's not crazy to think that especially when you saw it in action.

I think a lot of western devs were buddy buddy with MS because they made a system with architecture that is easy to transition to from PC development, where most big western devs cut their teeth.

Microsoft had the console that was easier to work with. PS4 and XB1 both have such similar hardware now, it's far easier to port a game across both platforms.
Funny enough, though, Oblivion on PS3 didn't suffer rimlag bug as Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim did on PS3.

Also, the problem is not really related to PS3. It existed way before that - in Morrowind on the first Xbox.
It's related to the devs not giving a shit that save files would exceed the consoles RAM or whatver the fuck was going on. I had Morrowind on XBox, it took like 200 hour save files before the issue became noticeable. I didn't own a PS3 til last month so I wont comment on those ports.

Vinter

Dissapointing to see that XB1 struggles as much as it does, although I am not surprised. Still getting it for that console though.

The thread based on a couple of short videos showing game drops in very specific places had a bunch of people saying they were cancelling on pS4 and buying on X1.

I think a lot of it was just trolling tbh

Oh wow. I think for right now, I'm gonna hold off until later. I need to get a hold of the open world game I have right now and it seems like the game in many ways are really not up to par yet for either console so I'll wait.

Hmm, i sure think that Bethesda should use some of that insane amounts of cash this game will get them to add more people to the engine development and getting a fresh or at least heavily changed/optimized engine ready for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Guys the 0 fps is obviously a hitch or a bug. Stop freaking out and kissio get a tissue please.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
In my opinion this game seems to performs worse than Unity. Unity get the benefit of the doubt due to it being a graphically beautiful game under all of it's bugs. While Fallout manages to look like an up res'ed 2007 game with game framerate problems in low populated areas, and alpha/smoke effects that look like they were lifted from dev starter pack.

Jaguar CPUs. Enough said I think.
Even with the colossal DX11 CPU overhead a Core I3 apparently has no issues besting consoles.

And the shadows are not even the only discrepancy between PC's top settings and consoles, volumetric lighting is severely nerged on consoles.

Do you think that lowering the resolution would help?

Vinc

Digital Foundry is amazing. Was looking for the exact info provided and there they are with it on day one. :)

Top Bottom