• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

Tak3n

Banned
Lets just remember that being vitriolic just shows the community in a bad light, no one should be celebrating the fact that at this moment the PS4 version is smoother than the X1 version, that is short sighted and silly, there should be a "unacceptable" rhetoric from the community against Bethesda, simple as that... as remember today the X1, tomorrow could be the PS4...

El_Chino

After playing Batman and Witcher 3, there's no fucking excuse for 0fps.

It's odd that during gun fights, Xbox One seems more stable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
not-like-this.gif
That's ok. I still love you.

Durante

No I can pretty concretely say as an avid PC gamer that it seems rare to get a AAA title that doesn't need to be turned down to medium or medium/high on a 970 to get a playable frame rate or that doesn't have serious issues for the first two weeks or so while the console versions perform up to par.

I have a gaming PC to play games at higher settings than the console at 60 fps.
If you want to run something at twice (or more) the framerate (which 60 FPS is for most console ports), and with settings that are (often significantly) more expensive than the console settings, then you obviously need a GPU which at least 4 times as fast as a PS4. A 970 is "only" roughly twice as fast. That's simple math, not a wave of "bad" ports.

Sucks Xbox players have to taste what Skyrim tasted like for PS3 for hte moment.

As for me? I was worried it was going to be really bad based off the hyperbole going around NeoGAF the last few days.

I went from zero-to hype because negativity caused me to pay attention to the game more and now I'm going to buy it day one. Cannot wait.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, seems like it.

-Shadow res seems to be 2x
-Volumetric effect resolution is about 3-6x higher (assuming the highest PC setting runs native resolution or half-res in comparison to the given 480x270)?
-Shadow render distance seems to be about 10x as far tbh. Would be interesting to see if there are markers for console settings in the .ini like cryengine games.
Yeah god rays are full res on PC.

Gotta say it's good to see Bethesda not settling for console/pc parity, with PC's higher settings pushing visibly ahead of consoles.
Another good news is that the game appears very scalable on PC so entry level gaming hardware should have no issues as long as settings are kept close to consoles.

Do you think that lowering the resolution would help?

No, it would not.
Better CPUs would.

I for one think Bethesda did a bang up job on Witcher, but you're entitled to your opinion.

U know what i mean. They are similar in scope and scale. Huge open world games filled with bugs and frame rate problems. I will wait till it inevitable gets patched 3 or 4 times before touching it.

I would say this, after playing MGSV, I really do understand why you pc guys always rave about 60fps. The comparison video on last page is making me really salty for not having a pc.

KingBroly

Banned
How can Bethesda get away with this? They must have an performance patch on the way, right?

3otTtOv.png

Because barely anyone calls them out on it in reviews, and as such, doesn't hurt their sales/marketing.

Until this doesn't get called out en mass, they have no reason to spend any extra cash on making sure it doesn't happen again.

When you have people here talk about how the modding community will fix Bethesda's game in the future, you know something is very wrong with how they make their games, because fans shouldn't have to fix them.

Kssio_Aug

That's ok. I still love you.

Being honest though, I have a friend who got access to the game early. He just watched the DF video and said that, besides not playing much more than a few hours, he has not encountered those freezing issues (besides he did alert me earlier today that the frame-rate overall was bad). I obviously can't tell about his experience, but I hope it just means its no way as frequent as it seems in DF analysis. I want to believe! lol

Well, maybe they can patch it though...

Grief.exe

better version

MYpPSnZ.gif

The 750 ti is such a beast for a lower end GPU that I've seen for <$100 multiple times.

If you have an older PC then I would recommend just picking one up as it frequently runs multiplatform games better than the PS4. Even if you are worried about an older CPU, the industry has essentially stagnated since 2010 in that regard and the PS4/XBO aren't pushing the envelope.

Courage

Guys the 0 fps is obviously a hitch or a bug. Stop freaking out and kissio get a tissue please.

nah bro, it's obviously worse than skyrim ps3

Seriously though, I hope it gets patched soon. I'm probably gonna be playing the XBO version and it'll be annoying to get sudden pauses to load the game in fucking 2015.

Sucks Xbox players have to taste what Skyrim tasted like for PS3 for hte moment.
At least the marketing deals probably mean there's a good chance this will actually get fixed. And frankly speaking this doesn't look half as bad as Skyrim PS3, that game should not have passed certification, shit was broken.

Kuldar

The 0 fps is not a technical issue, it's a cross-over with Quantum Break adding random time manipulation mechanism. The same way there is a Forza car in this game. Nice unprecedent marketing deal.

FyreWulff

Can that stuttering on Xbox One be fixed with the patch?

Depends on where the issue is.

If the Xbox just can't keep up with the need to suddenly instance a bunch of objects into the world when you get near a new location, it just can't keep up, and there's no real way around that.

Smidget

Seems like PC is the way to go, even with i5 2500K and 760? Had it preordered on Xbox digital but got a refund this morning.

SparkTR

The shadow/LOD difference between PC and consoles is way larger than I expected, the differences looking bigger than TW3.

Lets just remember that being vitriolic just shows the community in a bad light, no one should be celebrating the fact that at this moment the PS4 version is smoother than the X1 version, that is short sighted and silly, there should be a "unacceptable" rhetoric from the community against Bethesda, simple as that... as remember today the X1, tomorrow could be the PS4...
A lot of people are complaining. The people who are saying above were going to buy anyways.

Top Bottom