• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

geordiemp

Nah it would absolutely have been very, very nice to get a better CPU in there. There would absolutely be a ton of benefits across the board. It just wasn't really possible to do.

I agree, MS could of brought out the Scorpio same time as the Pro, Or by same reasoning Sony could of added 4 CU, put a better cooler in, upped the clocks and they would have same specs.

The specs of the Scorpio and tech was possible a year ago when Pro came out, EVERYONE thought the year delay was due to ZEN, me included, and made me seriously doubt why I bought a Pro.

1440p60 >>>> 2160p30, Next gen will start with ZEN +VEGA for consoles IMO, might have to wait for a node shrink to make it cost effective....

The Scorpio and Pro are massively unbalanced in their power, too much pixels and too little speed / urgency for frame rate.

Texture filtering. 16x anisotropic filtering
As per my last post, I'm actually not 100% certain that this will apply to all games, or all areas within games.

Scorpio does eliminate tearing, too, which is very good. Xbox One games have screen tearing much, much more frequently than PS4 versions.

Ingeniero

So Scorpio slaughters PS4 pro? I'm no tech guy, so can someone give me a simple answer?

I was planning on upgrading my PS4 to pro, but this changes things...

LostDonkey

So Scorpio slaughters PS4 pro? I'm no tech guy, so can someone give me a simple answer?

It definitely has better specs yes. There's no denying that.

Plus a 4k UHD Blu Ray drive for movies etc.

Guess it's just what games you prefer.

geordiemp

Scorpio 10 % faster, so 30 FPS games on Pro will be 30 FPS on Scorpio.

I have 2 pros, but with Scorpio having Jag also, then performance wise they will be in same ball park, Scorpio will have better IQ if you stare long enough, but on my 55 inch I cant tell between 1440p, 1800p, 2160p or 2160c without getting special zoom glasses. 900p looks like shit, but higher than 1080p is in a good enough place.

If you call that slaughting so be it, to me its OK, will get Scorpio for Crackdown, but cant wait for next gen.

Roll on ZEN for Ps5 and Xb2, we need 60 FPS gaming. Imagine Witcher 3 at a smooth 60 FPS (dev allowing)...mmm, dont care what it is above 1440...

Theorry

As per my last post, I'm actually not 100% certain that this will apply to all games, or all areas within games.

Scorpio does eliminate tearing, too, which is very good. Xbox One games have screen tearing much, much more frequently than PS4 versions.

Dont know. Its what they said and its done system side so no need for a dev. It inlcudes 360 games also.

00ich

Well, which is it? Are choices good, or do you want the platform holder to dictate what level of jank is acceptable? It sounds like you normally would praise having options, but for some reason you want to criticize it in this particular case.

Making different hardware iterations transparent to the customer is a platform owner's job.
Ps4 pro is hardware backward-compatible to Ps4 like PS2 was to PS1. That's a really clunky implementation of a mid generation update.

Theorry

No slaughter. Just quite abit stronger. Depends on what games you play if you really want the PS exclusives and play those the most of the time. You should stick with Pro. If the most games are third party. Its gonna be the best console to play them on with a decent margin.

Ingeniero

Thanks for the quick responses.
It's decided, I'll keep my normal PS4 for Sony exclusives and buy the Scorpio thingy, sounds like a beast.

Colbert

Banned

I have 2 pros, but with Scorpio having Jag also, then performance wise they will be in same ball park, Scorpio will have better IQ if you stare long enough, but on my 55 inch I cant tell between 1440p, 1800p, 2160p or 2160c without getting special zoom glasses. 900p looks like shit, but higher than 1080p is in a good enough place.

Roll on ZEN for Ps5 and Xb2, we need 60 FPS gaming.

Lmao. I want the sh** he is smoking ...

Rodelero

I think someone would have to be pretty biased to agree with the word 'slaughters. The gap looks likely to be relatively similar to the gap between the PS4 and the Xbox One. On paper the gap is probably a little bigger than that, but in practice I expect it will be a little smaller, especially if you don't have a 4K TV.

Other factors worth considering: if you already have a PS4, having a Scorpio would widen the library of games you have access to; Scorpio looks likely to be more expensive, and it's not hard to imagine Sony dropping the Pro's price; Scorpio has a 4K Blu-ray player; PS4 Pro is already out.

Hermii

I agree, MS could of brought out the Scorpio same time as the Pro, Or by same reasoning Sony could of added 4 CU, put a better cooler in, upped the clocks and they would have same specs.

The specs of the Scorpio and tech was possible a year ago when Pro came out, EVERYONE thought the year delay was due to ZEN, me included, and made me seriously doubt why I bought a Pro.

1440p60 >>>> 2160p30, Next gen will start with ZEN +VEGA for consoles IMO, might have to wait for a node shrink to make it cost effective....

The Scorpio and Pro are massively unbalanced in their power, too much pixels and too little speed / urgency for frame rate.

Jaguar was always the most likely candidate.

geordiemp

No.
GAF hive mind != everyone

Nah, even beyond3d 50 % thought it would have some ZEN variant. Its not just GAF.

And yes, if you super-cooled a Ps4 pro APU, upped the clocks, added 4 GB RAM and some more tracks, you would have same spec as Scorpio.

Lmao. I want the sh** he is smoking ...

LMAO at the crap post, you sound about 14. Staahp with the childish insults.

Why dont you point out what your opinion is rather than sounding like an idiot. Discuss your opinion, point out intellectually where I am wrong....the challenge.

Ad Hominem is cheap.

Renekton

Roll on ZEN for Ps5 and Xb2, we need 60 FPS gaming. Imagine Witcher 3 at a smooth 60 FPS (dev allowing)...mmm, dont care what it is above 1440...
Ryzen in consoles would be so nice, that thing was tested to have incredible power downscaling. Here's to AMD surviving 4 more years to develop this.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

It's about 50% more powerful than the Pro.

43% compute advantage, 10% CPU advantage, 50% memory bandwidth advantage, 50% more VRAM.

I am super excited for this console. I'm primarily a PC gamer but I enjoy consoles too. My question though is, why are people comparing this to a 1070? I have a 1070 rig currently, and I'm not expecting the Scorpio to come close really. Feels like it's setting up got disappointment if that's what you are expecting.

Sony

Nintendo

Slaughters? Why these extremes? Scorpio is significantly more capable than PS4 Pro. Slaughters, no.

Colbert

Banned
LMAO at the crap post, you sound about 14. Staahp with the childish insults.

Why dont you point out what your opinion is rather than sounding like an idiot. Discus your opinion, point out intellectually where I am wrong....the challenge.

earned spot in ignore list.

Kthxbai

fantomena

I doubt alot of people knew what Zen was a year ago haha.

I doubt a lot of people knows what teraflops are, they just like it being a high number.

I don't even know what TFLOPS are and Im a GTX 1080 user, I don't even know what the TFLOPS numbers are on a GTX 1080. :p

Only thing Ive heard is that TFLOPS are different on AMD and Nvidia.

I am super excited for this console. I'm primarily a PC gamer but I enjoy consoles too. My question though is, why are people comparing this to a 1070? I have a 1070 rig currently, and I'm not expecting the Scorpio to come close really. Feels like it's setting up got disappointment if that's what you are expecting.

Because in the Forza 6 test the Scorpio is (apparently) running the game better than a 1070 can.

However many more games need to be tested before a statement like this can be taken as fact. Also racing games are notorious for being great performers so it's not the best test case.

I would guess in the end the overall performance comes in a little lower than that. But not by a huge amount.

Colbert

Banned
I doubt a lot of people knows what teraflops are, they just like it being a high number.

I don't even know what TFLOPS are and Im a GTX 1080 user, I don't even know what the TFLOPS numbers are on a GTX 1080. :p

Only thing Ive heard is that TFLOPS are different on AMD and Nvidia.

Tflops are same are they describe a well defined specification. How those flops are actually used this where the difference between the GPU architectures is. For dx11 NVIDIA cards were utilizing those tflops better than AMD cards in the same ball park.

terrier

Slaughter? Nah
It's an updated pro, with a difference that is similar to the one ps4 vs xbox one, only this time the target is 4k instead of fullhd.
No secret sauces, and by the way, really fun to see some reactions regarding the CPU, interesting because was the most criticised aspect of the pro and here we are again....

43% compute advantage, 10% CPU advantage, 50% memory bandwidth advantage, 50% more VRAM.
Interesting maths here

longdi

Banned
I wonder if the extra ram and 384bit bus was done for sram backwards compatibility. I wonder why DF didn't asked more about this.

E-Cat

Gold Member

Without going into detail on how to weigh the different metrics, whether that's even possible... aren't you supposed to average down to the middle instead of using the high boundary as your be-all, end-all number?

geordiemp

and what about super cooled a scorpio APU, upped the clocks, added 4 GB ram and some more tracks ? you end up with a Scorpio PRO !

OMG

Can people stop with the OMG and actually point out why !

Tell my why better cooling and upping clocks is OMG wrong, I am dying to know. Also adding more RAM and band width is super complex ? What am I missing.

I dont expect an answer by the way.

Space_nut

Scorpio is a good deal stronger than Pro. Again with higher clocked cpu, gpu with 2TF of raw power over pro, 12GB of ram, and 326 GB/S of memory bandwidth will not only allow games run in higher res, but have textures, poly models, lighting to be at a higher qaulity.

Scorpio: 4k native, 4k assets (Native 4k textures, highest LOD character models, better draw distances, higher samples for post processing effects), and smoother fps

Pro: 4k cb, base console assets, improved AF over ps4/xb1, some higher settings at 1080p mode

mcrommert

Banned

If you call that slaughting so be it, to me its OK, will get Scorpio for Crackdown, but cant wait for next gen.

Lol

It's 40%+ more powerful, similar delta as the OG PS4 > XB1 was. Nothing major but still nice.

But also this time there's more RAM, not just primarily a teraflop difference.

Colbert

Banned
I wonder if the extra ram and 384bit bus was done for sram backwards compatibility. I wonder why DF didn't asked more about this.

Imo the memory speed was required to handle those 4k assets better. The ESRAM absence could be handled even with the mem speeds the PS4 Pro is using. You also may have read that there is a latency gap compared to ESRAM but they have tested that it does not impact games that much (or at all).

Space_nut

its about 10 % performance, its that CPU bottleneck. IQ will be better for sure.

Today I have had the interesting discussion points of smoking, OMG and LOL, Neogaf is a great discussion chamber today.

You look so bad 10%?

CPU bottleneck? So XB1 is actually stronger than ps4 with it's higher clocked cpu? Think about this before you post

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Without going into detail on how to weigh the different metrics, whether that's even possible... aren't you supposed to average down to the middle instead of using the high boundary as your be-all, end-all number?
CPU has almost negligible effect on performance at 4k30fps, why would you average that into some weird overall average?

Why do certain people average down to 10% or 40%? I'm citing numbers based off a fx-8350 and RX 480 8GB with appropriate clocks on Hitman DX12 and Ryse. Where are they pulling their numbers?
its about 10 % performance, its that CPU bottleneck. IQ will be better for sure.
This is so far off it's not even funny. CPU makes no difference when shooting for 30fps, like the lion's share of console games. A CPU twice as fast would result in a 0-5% gain.

Top Bottom