• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I asked if he wanted to hint at a HW change but he just answered with the same question and added he is not taking about the cloud. So either he talks about drivers and tools or something unknown.
I asked him about tools (while citing how they were much superior on 360 at launch) and he didn't answer either.

so basically the ram is a 192 mph scooter and a 60 mph mack truck vs a 170 mph mack truck that can pick up a new load twice as fast as the 60 mph mack truck.
The Xbox One is not a truck. It's a series of tubes.

Hawk269

Infamous was one of the best looking and most polished PS4 games at E3.

Yes it was. I played it behind closed doors and it was very impressive. Overall though, the one game that made me almost shit myself and how good and smooth it played and looked, it was Forza 5. That is the one game that made me say "Fuck Me". Infamous Second Son was the 2nd most impressive game at the show...there were a lot of technical issues with it though, a lot and I mean a lot of pop-in happening and weird LOD issues. Granted, it was very early and a 2014 title, so I don't knock off too much because of that.

But coming from having the PS3/360 and a High End gaming rig, It was Forza 5 that really showed that consoles in this next gen are going to be impressive.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
image.php

ram expert

Yes it was. I played it behind closed doors and it was very impressive. Overall though, the one game that made me almost shit myself and how good and smooth it played and looked, it was Forza 5. That is the one game that made me say "Fuck Me". Infamous Second Son was the 2nd most impressive game at the show...there were a lot of technical issues with it though, a lot and I mean a lot of pop-in happening and weird LOD issues. Granted, it was very early and a 2014 title, so I don't knock off too much because of that.

But coming from having the PS3/360 and a High End gaming rig, It was Forza 5 that really showed that consoles in this next gen are going to be impressive.

We must be seeing different games because what I've seen looks like a cleaner, 1080p version of the previous Forza games.

It didn't scream "next-gen" to me like InFamous, or even some of the original DriveClub videos (and I'm well aware that DriveClub's E3 showing was rather poor in comparison).

Note: I didn't see too much LoD or Pop-in for InFamous:SS, Forza 5 had its share of that as well.

ekim

I believe you but you can't really compare an open world title and a racing game with pre baked lighting. I also think that from simply looking at it, Forza 5 looks better than Second Son but the latter is technically more impressive considering the scope.

Xenon

Huge difference between software and hardware changes at this point. I don't know why you'd even make the comparison, tbh.

No it wasn't just software. It had huge ramifications on their marketing and business model. But we are talking about theoretical possibilities and since neither of us know the true reason, never say never. Still, it will most likely turn out that the XBO will be weaker than the PS4 and MS will keep that info until the system is released.

Hawk269

We must be seeing different games because what I've seen looks like a cleaner, 1080p version of the previous Forza games.

It didn't scream "next-gen" to me like InFamous, or even some of the original DriveClub videos (and I'm well aware that DriveClub's E3 showing was rather poor in comparison).

You comparing watching videos to what I played in front of a monitor/TV??? The details in Forza 5 is what is the impressive thing. The amount of things happening in the backround, the lighting off of the cars was impressive as anything I have seen. Infamous was very impressive, but it also had a lot of issues with pop up, slow-down and weird pauses as you played. Again, I have been going to these shows for over 20 years and know not to judge a game with issues this early.

But as mentioned, out of all the games played (in real life, not a video) Forza was top showing followed by Infamous. Yes, totally different type of games and all. But seeing a game at 1080p/60fps with the effects and visual flare that Forza 5 showed was a pretty impressive showing.

nib95

Banned
You comparing watching videos to what I played in front of a monitor/TV??? The details in Forza 5 is what is the impressive thing. The amount of things happening in the backround, the lighting off of the cars was impressive as anything I have seen. Infamous was very impressive, but it also had a lot of issues with pop up, slow-down and weird pauses as you played. Again, I have been going to these shows for over 20 years and know not to judge a game with issues this early.

But as mentioned, out of all the games played (in real life, not a video) Forza was top showing followed by Infamous. Yes, totally different type of games and all. But seeing a game at 1080p/60fps with the effects and visual flare that Forza 5 showed was a pretty impressive showing.

How did you play Infamous Second Son exactly? From my understanding it was not playable, even behind closed doors. It was shown behind closed doors, but we have videos of that online and the frame rate is flawless, pop in very minimal. Add to that, I find it slightly amusing you thought Forza 5 was impressive for its lighting (it's perhaps the only next gen game that uses pre baked lighting) and details (I thought the textures and geometry were slightly under par, though it definitely had a lot going on).

No it wasn't just software. It had huge ramifications on their marketing and business model. But we are talking about theoretical possibilities and since neither of us know the true reason, never say never. Still, it will most likely turn out that the XBO will be weaker than the PS4 and MS will keep that info until the system is released.

Well it had ramifications at a sales level. They have been badmouthed on the DRM stuff since the reveal, and they were confident E3 was going to give them the backup to follow through. But it didn't work, because they got blasted for DRM and price and the pre orders started revealing the kind of truth that made Xbox decision makers take a step back.

I mean they reached a simple conclusion, what good would be for them to go all in with a hand that at that point had no chance of winning? Bumping specs and lowering price though? That's just not going to happen.

Hawk269

Infamous Second Son was playable to you? Was that a special appointment because it wasn't playable for GB and GT.com

Are you a E3 judge, perhaps?

Yes it was playable to me. Special behind closed door meeting that was not at the main E3 hall. No, not a judge. lol

How did you play Infamous Second Son exactly? From my understanding it was not playable, even behind closed doors. It was shown behind closed doors, but we have videos of that online and the frame rate is flawless, pop in very minimal. Add to that, I find it slightly amusing you thought Forza 5 was impressive for its lighting (it's perhaps the only next gen game that uses pre baked lighting) and details (I thought the textures and geometry were slightly under par, though it definitely had a lot going on).

Yeah I really don't understand his pop-in/LoD problems...I looked at the InFamous footage again and couldn't find any of that, but watching the Forza 5 track you can see some rather glaring instances of pop-in.

I also wasn't aware of Second Son being playable at E3.

Either way, we have decent quality footage of both...so I think I'm at liberty of having an opinion even though I wasn't in attendance.

While I know it's part of your daily agenda, trying to discredit first hand impressions with your own third hand impressions is pretty weak.

benny_a

It was shown behind closed doors, but we have videos of that online and the frame rate is flawless, pop in very minimal.
I thought there was significant pop-in in the distance. Nothing as close as it was in Infamous 1 of course.

That doesn't change the other things about Forza 5 though.

I know it's your opinion and all, but to me Forza 5 doesn't come close to meeting my expectations of next gen; neither does Drive Club. They look great, sure, but not jaw dropping in the slightest. Infamous, The Division, KZ, even Ryse look more like true indicators of what to expect visually.
If DF is to be believed The Division ran on PS4. If that is true (which I'm not very confident on) then that was the most impressive to me.

I know it's your opinion and all, but to me Forza 5 doesn't come close to meeting my expectations of next gen; neither does Drive Club. They look great, sure, but not jaw dropping in the slightest. Infamous, The Division, KZ, even Ryse look more like true indicators of what to expect visually. Not even gonna mention the Panty Raid engine and Dark Sorcerer stuff; well, yeah, I just did. Also The Order.

nib95

Banned
Yes it was playable to me. Special behind closed door meeting that was not at the main E3 hall. No, not a judge. lol

How exactly were you able to play it when no other journo could? Unless I'm missing something this does not sound legit. We've all seen the gameplay vids as well (including from the behind closed doors presentation) and none of the frame rate issues you mentioned exist, pop in is minimal too.

Hawk269

I thought I was perfectly clear, but I guess I was not. This is just my OPINION. There were others at the show that shared the same opinion that games on the X1 just seemed cleaner/smoother. But again, those are just opinions.

Infamous was impressive, very impressive, but I just thought that Forza 5 had way more of a WOW factor. So don't take that it was bad or anything. For me it is the game I want more for my PS4, which saddens me that it is not a launch title.

Unless you are using clever wording to cover your ass, this hole you're digging is only going to get deeper. Infamous Second Son was only playable by developers at E3, nobody else got actual hands on.

You saying that you had some sort of special access to a special behind doors hands on demo?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MS perhaps simply don't mind if they don't sell to the enthusiasts initially. Although to get to the mainstream they need a lower price,it seems clear they are going with a 'games but oh so much more' strategy, and they need to show that the 'oh so much more' is worth the trade off in lower quality games (and hope the difference is small enough to help that cause)

Currently I find the HDMI overlay and limited channel flipping to be quite boring. But it is clearly capable of so much more and I hope they keep evolving it - it could be the ultimate media center if they can stop being so obsessed with linear broadcast TV

benny_a

I thought I was perfectly clear, but I guess I was not.
It would still be interesting to hear more about that Infamous demo you got.

Was it a different area? Is there an embargo on that? If there is, when will be able to expect coverage from other sites?

I'm assuming you were not the only person that was invited to a special demo but rather everyone else is just keeping quiet due to an embargo.

Or is that assumption wrong and you know Sucker Punch people and got a special demo that way?

(This is just me asking for more information because I like Infamous. This can't be used to verify what you say at the moment anyway and shouldn't be taken as dismissing your first hand impressions.)

I thought I was perfectly clear, but I guess I was not. This is just my OPINION. There were others at the show that shared the same opinion that games on the X1 just seemed cleaner/smoother. But again, those are just opinions.

Infamous was impressive, very impressive, but I just thought that Forza 5 had way more of a WOW factor. So don't take that it was bad or anything. For me it is the game I want more for my PS4, which saddens me that it is not a launch title.
You said that it was playable for you, behind closed doors. Now you're saying it's your opinion; which one is it? Come on dude, you just invalidated anything you've posted in here to date. WTF! Lol.

Unless you are using clever wording to cover your ass, this hole you're digging is only going to get deeper. Infamous Second Son was only playable by developers at E3, nobody else got actual hands on.

You saying that you had some sort of special access to a special behind doors hands on demo?

That's exactly what he just said. Did you read the post?

nib95

Banned

Again, how exactly did you play it? And where's the slow down you speak of? According to journo's the game was not playable to anyone but devs, and those appointments were by appointment (we have videos of them).

Eusis

Cboat said something similar but I don't agree that it's a rational course of action. Making changes this late in the game? *shudder*
I'm starting to think this will make the PS3's launch issues - the launch issues of other consoles period really - look fairly mundane in comparison when all's said and done.

As for most powerful console: It could be true! If released before the PS4! Except if the rumored date is true I don't see that happening unless Sony wants to launch on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, or miss that period entirely.

That's exactly what he just said. Did you read the post?

Of course I did, I quoted it. But words can be interpreted, and obviously the guy comes in nonchalant and says he played Infamous when.... nobody else thus far has? I mean as far as I know you can't simply come up and say stuff with 0 to back it up right?

Gestault

So now Infamous doesn't look impressive?

Not unimpressive, but disconcertingly unpolished in actual gameplay. It has a lot of optimizing to go, and the game's going to be great if the rest of the series is any indication, but people who had the chance to see it noted the state it was in.

Infamous was one of the best looking and most polished PS4 games at E3.

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_infamous_second_son_e3_trailer-30188_en.html
Direct feed and looking incredible.

You just linked me to a trailer. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but there were serious issues with environmental detail popping and weird detail shifts in actual gameplay.

Hawk269

How exactly were you able to play it when no other journo could? Unless I'm missing something this does not sound legit. We've all seen the gameplay vids as well (including from the behind closed doors presentation) and none of the frame rate issues you mentioned exist, pop in is minimal too.

Do you think journalist get a higher priority to games and access to them than people that actually make them and/or work in a situation that they make financial decisions???

There are games that I have seen played that no journalist has seen and/or mentioned yet. Journalist DO NOT have high level access to games that are coming soon, in alpha or even talked about yet. Certain titles, sure, but when you go to these E3 shows and are in scheduled meetings, you get access to more than the normal press person.

You have to remember, someone can create a website 6 months out before E3 and register as a person in the press. Does not mean they get access to everything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They could help get more power by having great tools to leverage the power quickly, but even there they are apparently behind Sony

Is there any information how much effort it is for developers to get benefits from the esram? Is it relatively automatic like a big cache, or does it need lots of careful planning?

Eusis

Thank God for the internet, our cynicism doesn't allow this ridiculous crap anymore. Sony tried that same recipe in 2006 and it backfired in ways they couldn't even imagine.
I'm not even sure it's just the internet so much as a lie - or type of lie anyway - can only work once. And frankly the jump from PS1 to PS2 was one of the most mind blowing we'll ever see between two consoles, only the inclusion of 3D period like on SNES to N64 might compare but that's more a sideways shift and most systems of that generation were basically like SNES++ when it came to 2D visuals. Kind of like how you could argue similar for this generation over last generation.

Not unimpressive, but disconcertingly unpolished in actual gameplay. It has a lot of optimizing to go, and the game's going to be great if the rest of the series is any indication, but people who had the chance to see it noted the state it was in.

You just linked me to a trailer. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but there were serious issues with environmental detail popping and weird detail shifts in actual gameplay.

Disconcertingly unpolished? wat?

I'm still not seeing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s

Looks extremely fluid even in its rather early state. I'm not seeing any polishing issues.

nib95

Banned
Do you think journalist get a higher priority to games and access to them than people that actually make them and/or work in a situation that they make financial decisions???

There are games that I have seen played that no journalist has seen and/or mentioned yet. Journalist DO NOT have high level access to games that are coming soon, in alpha or even talked about yet. Certain titles, sure, but when you go to these E3 shows and are in scheduled meetings, you get access to more than the normal press person.

You have to remember, someone can create a website 6 months out before E3 and register as a person in the press. Does not mean they get access to everything.

Now you're saying that you "have seen" the game being played. Make up your mind mate. Sounds like you're fumbling.

Gestault

Nib, I usually don't react to you, because your interactions are pretty predictable, but really, please stop. Just stop. You're trying too hard, and with regularity you try to tell people who have played these games what they saw, or that they couldn't have seen it if it contradicts your view on it.

Note: I didn't see too much LoD or Pop-in for InFamous:SS, Forza 5 had its share of that as well.

All I know is Forza 5 and Ryse both looked incredible for launch titles. I can only imagine what Forza 6 will look like, or when games target 1080p 30fps more often. The only major 1080p at 30fps game that I think we know of on the Xbox One is Ryse, and that looks amazing, whether people like or are interested in the game or not. Although, I'll be the first to say that the magic doesn't quite translate to some of the horrible screenshots I've seen released, but in action the game is pretty damn impressive.

I'm personally dying to see the next Halo title at 60fps. 343 blew my mind with Halo 4 on the 360, so I'm dying to see what they do for the next Halo :D

So what studio do you work at?

jond76

Banned
Now you're saying that you "have seen" the game being played. Make up your mind mate. Sounds like you're fumbling.

At least bold the whole sentence. He's Obviously saying he's seen games played that haven't even been announce. I3 has been announced, so he wasn't referring to that.

nib95

Banned
Nib, I usually don't react to you, because your interactions are pretty predictable, but really, please stop. Just stop. You're trying too hard, and with regularity you try to tell people who have played these games what they saw, or that they couldn't have seen it if it contradicts your view on it.

We have no evidence at all that he played the game, in fact, all the evidence points to the contrary. We don't even know who this guy is, and sorry, on GAF, lofty claims don't usually go left without some backing. He's free to explain himself obviously, that way we know it's legit and happy days.

So now you are saying you are either a dev or.... some financial executive? Oh lawd. This is getting really interesting now.

Keep massaging that message.

The guy said he played Infamous, while no one else was given that privilege, and he can't be called into question but Nib can? Come on, man; I can't even take your opinion seriously about the game based on the direct feed footage I've seen, and what you are claiming.

What's your source for that?

The guy said he played Infamous, while no one else was given that privilege, and he can't be called into question but Nib can? Come on, man; I can't even take your opinion seriously about the game based on the direct feed footage I've seen, and what you are claiming.

nib95

Banned
At least bold the whole sentence. He's Obviously saying he's seen games played that haven't even been announce. I3 has been announced, so he wasn't referring to that.

But what does that have to do with what I asked him? Sounds like he's skirting around the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom