• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's not the first time he has claimed to have played it, apparently he works in some aspect of retail and they get more access then the gaming press does... which sounds really suspect.

Nib, I usually don't react to you, because your interactions are pretty predictable, but really, please stop. Just stop. You're trying too hard, and with regularity you try to tell people who have played these games what they saw, or that they couldn't have seen it if it contradicts your view on it.

Whatever your opinion on Nib is, truth is this guy is saying he played Infamous Second son and isn't giving any valid reasons or proof that he did.

What are you and the other guy trying to sell? That it's ok to come in here and just say whatever you want, even if you are making up shit with nothing to back it up?

Hawk269

You said that it was playable for you, behind closed doors. Now you're saying it's your opinion; which one is it? Come on dude, you just invalidated anything you've posted in here to date. WTF! Lol.

Really man??? Read more carefully. When I said it was just MY OPINION, I was referring to the Infamous vs. Forza 5. It is my opinion that Forza 5 was more impressive. It does not invalidate what I played of both games, but it simply is my opinion that based on what I played that Forza 5 was more impressive.

Let me clarify just a bit. I was in a presentation to a select few, they guy was playing the game. After the meeting, I walked up, talked for a while and asked if I could mess with it. He handed me the controller and I played it for a little while. That is it. There was no press, there was no footage being recorded in this presentation. It was just a presentation being made to a few industry people that I was able to be part of.

shinnn

1080p at 60 fps is awesome, but we can't draw comparisons between an Xbox One game at 1080p and 60 fps, with one on PS4 at 1080p and 30 fps, without, you know, comparing all the different elements of the graphics on both games.

Rayman Legends runs at 1080p and 60 fps on Wii U. If I tried to use that to claim the Wii U was as powerful as the Xbone, you'd rightly point out that Rayman uses primarily 2D elements and Forza 4 does not.

because you can't just take frame rate and resolution in isolation.

I'm sure Forza 6 will hit those targets and bring back the missing features, but in prioritizing framerate and resolution at launch, there are plenty of things missing that we see in equivalent games on the current gen. they got there at launch by making lots of concessions.

them's the breaks. you can just cite the upside.
What "equivalent" games are you talking about? I hope your are not talking about ONE game that took more than 4 years to be released, and got those "features" in just an couple of tracks, with framedrops and tearing.

I could say that some games are unimpressive because they are cutting 30fps to get those visuals, but it is fanboyish as saying Forza is unimpressive. Show me 60fps games with real-time weather and Day/Night cycle, than I'll admit that Forza 5 does not look impressive.

Horizon showed that you can get those features with the trade for 30fps. So I dont know why people keep in saying that just "the" 60fps game is making concessions.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Let me clarify just a bit. I was in a presentation to a select few, they guy was playing the game. After the meeting, I walked up, talked for a while and asked if I could mess with it. He handed me the controller and I played it for a little while. That is it. There was no press, there was no footage being recorded in this presentation. It was just a presentation being made to a few industry people that I was able to be part of.
Does that mean you played the same section as what is available online?

Show me 60fps games with real-time weather and Day/Night cycle, than I'll admit that Forza 5 does not look impressive.
Doesn't GT6 have real-time weather and Day/Night cycle while aiming at 60 FPS?

nib95

Banned
Really man??? Read more carefully. When I said it was just MY OPINION, I was referring to the Infamous vs. Forza 5. It is my opinion that Forza 5 was more impressive. It does not invalidate what I played of both games, but it simply is my opinion that based on what I played that Forza 5 was more impressive.

Missed the end.

So what studio do you work at?

So you were lying with this then?

Can you please stop now?

0189_kndq.gif

Mastperf

I'm surprised they would let anyone play considering all of their demos played out almost exactly the same with the only variation being the way the actual battles went.

Hawk269

Missed the end.

Did you read the part after the part that you bolded? Some of you are suffering from reading comprehension and are taking bits and pieces of what people say to satisfy an agenda. If you read the part after you bolded, it says that I asked if I could mess with it and he handed me the controller and I played it for a bit. That is all, nothing more and I don't know how to make it more clear to you.

nib95

Banned
I'm very skeptical of him. He had a chance to play something at the same presentation dozens of important and prominent people were not allowed to, and he also has quite a negative impression technically of a demo we've all seen plenty of vids of, including the one behind closed doors. Where's this slow down etc exactly? Looked to play really smooth.

Did you read the part after the part that you bolded? Some of you are suffering from reading comprehension and are taking bits and pieces of what people say to satisfy an agenda. If you read the part after you bolded, it says that I asked if I could mess with it and he handed me the controller and I played it for a bit. That is all, nothing more and I don't know how to make it more clear to you.

What other games did you play behind closed doors? That weren't playable for normal people and the press...

Truespeed

Or that the PS2 is so powerful it cannot be sold in 3rd world countries because it was so powerful that it could launch nuclear missles?

I remember watching the news and the above was actually in the media. It was crazy shit and people soaked it up.

Why didn't you just say what was originally said instead of lacing it with your ignorant bullshit?

All I know is Forza 5 and Ryse both looked incredible for launch titles. I can only imagine what Forza 6 will look like, or when games target 1080p 30fps more often. The only major 1080p at 30fps game that I think we know of on the Xbox One is Ryse, and that looks amazing, whether people like or are interested in the game or not. Although, I'll be the first to say that the magic doesn't quite translate to some of the horrible screenshots I've seen released, but in action the game is pretty damn impressive.

I'm personally dying to see the next Halo title at 60fps. 343 blew my mind with Halo 4 on the 360, so I'm dying to see what they do for the next Halo :D

For launch titles, they both don't do much for me personally.

Killzone: Shadow Fall is the only real launch title that screams next-gen to me. You can add DriveClub to the mix as well if it manages to meet the target trailer (E3 showing was a big disappointment in comparison though).

Ryse just doesn't look interesting to me at all. I honestly think the God of War series on PS3 looks more impressive. Technically Ryse is doing a lot more, but God of War is doing so much more when taking into context the platform its running on. It's not just how many objects you can throw on screen, but also the animation, art direction -- things that Ryse just failed to get right for me. To be a stunner, you need to have the entire package.

Forza looks good, but lots of concessions being made, and the title doesn't scream "next-gen". It looks like a 1080p version of Forza. The lighting model is woefully inadequate for next-gen standards, imho.

I'm surprised they would let anyone play considering all of their demos played out almost exactly the same with the only variation being the way the actual battles went.
They probably didn't let anyone play because it was still buggy and early, and if people just went off and explored the environments it'd probably crash, so they showed a controlled play through. I find it highly unlikely that they would let just anyone walk up and try it out, unless this person had some type of high level access.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You guys are being fucking ridiculous. Whether he's lying about playing it or telling the truth he's just presenting an opinion, you're not going to pull out math to prove his opinion is wrong in either case. Let's put away the pitchforks and torches.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You guys are being fucking ridiculous. Whether he's lying about playing it or telling the truth he's just presenting an opinion, you're not going to pull out math to prove his opinion is wrong in either case. Let's put away the pitchforks and torches.

Uh, it does matter. What the fuck.

No one really cares, but it does make the popcorn more fun to eat.

nib95

Banned
Why is it so inconceivable to you that someone thought Infamous Second Son wasn't the most impressive thing at E3?

Lots of people didn't think it was the most impressive thing at E3 :p

I don't think it was the most impressive thing either lol. I just don't think it has the technical issues he claimed, at least not from the demo we saw.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Uh, it does matter. What the fuck.

Why? To prove someone on the internet is lying? What's at stake, whether his opinion valid? Who gives a shit. It has nothing to do with the topic.

I can say Infamous Second Son looks like shit right now, and not lie about anything. But maybe if I lie about stuff, people will more easily accept my opinion.

Suikoguy

Why? To prove someone on the internet is lying? What's at stake, whether his opinion valid? Who gives a shit. It has nothing to do with the topic.

It makes his opinion invalid if he never actually played it.

How about this, I played Forza 5 at E3, and it looked like total shit.

(Wait, I never actually played it, but it's my opinion)

Gestault

He previously made it seem like he was given a private session to play the demo. Now he simply asked to play and was allowed too. Guess no one else asked?

a private session to play the demo

asked to play and was allowed too [during a private session]

Are these mutually exclusive? Is playing the game at a private session so different from playing a game at a private session after asking to do so that you're using that to invalidate his opinion?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
hey guys

remember how interesting the thread was in the beginning, when we were talking about DF and stuff?

that was neat. i liked that.

Hana-Bi

Yup. It's your opinion so carry on. People can disagree with you, though...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Are these mutually exclusive? Is playing the game at a private session so different from playing a game at a private session after asking to do so that you're using that to invalidate his opinion?
It does change the scenario. My question I brought forth (that weren't answered) only came up because it was a special demo that he got.

If he only saw the same demo as everyone else and was allowed to fiddle with the controls for a moment then his opinion on the technical quality is as valid as mine, as we've seen approximately the same scenes in the game.

Why is it so inconceivable to you that someone thought Infamous Second Son wasn't the most impressive thing at E3?

It's more inconceivable that someone played a demo that wasn't available on the show floor and only accessed to the developers of the game itself. There is a reason why all the demos looked the same.

If the dev let anyone just "mess" with it then they shouldn't have a problem being it available to the public.

Spongebob

Banned
How does the amount of processing power available to developers compare on the xbox and ps4?
Xbone GPU is 1.23TFLOPS with 90% being available to devs - 1.1TFLOPS

PS4 GPU is 1.84TFLOPS, but we don't know if Sony are partitioning some of that for OS/App functions.

Suikoguy

hey guys

remember how interesting the thread was in the beginning, when we were talking about DF and stuff?

that was neat. i liked that.

lol, I guess you could say it's time to close this thread.

There is really nothing left to discuss about the original topic.

In Summary:

1.) The numbers DF received from MS inadvertently show a downclock, or a very convoluted way of measuring performance.
2.) DF initally tried to pass this information off as insider information, but was later found out and their reputation took a hit.
3.) Some people think the more convoluted math makes more sense.
4.) A sudden 88% increase in performance makes very little sense.
5.) There is no way to definitely confirm it either way.

StudioTan

I can say Infamous Second Son looks like shit right now, and not lie about anything. But maybe if I lie about stuff, people will more easily accept my opinion.

Yes, and? How do think people should react to those statements? What kind of reaction would you consider appropriate?

For me, if I don't agree, I would just brush it off as your opinion and not spend time trying to prove whether the ACTUALLY played something as a way to invalidate an opinion. Whether you think a game looks good or not means nothing.

Hawk269

They probably didn't let anyone play because it was still buggy and early, and if people just went off and explored the environments it'd probably crash, so they showed a controlled play through. I find it highly unlikely that they would let just anyone walk up and try it out, unless this person had some type of high level access.

Ding....Ding...Ding....

You were there? lol. Basically you nailed it. It was NOT something that someone could just walk up to and say "hey can I try that?" and it was a high level access type of thing. Make of that what you will.

Raist

Banned

Don't really care about the dude's credibility (or lack thereof) but saying that a game has "lots of pop in, slow down, LOD issues, weird pauses" etc, isn't exactly a matter of opinion anymore, especially since we've all seen quite a few gameplay demos. Unless they showed some ompletely different super secret stuff for that "private" session. Given that ISS has been one of their flagship titles since Feb, I'm not even sure why that would happen anyway.

gtj1092

They are different. I'm not trying to do anything. Just pointing out why people would be skeptical.

nib95

Banned
He previously made it seem like he was given a private session to play the demo. Now he simply asked to play and was allowed too. Guess no one else asked?

I find t highly unlikely no one else asked. Hell HHG was there and he always tries his luck. My guess as to why it was a presentation is because the map is unfinished and buggy. And they only wanted people to see it in a more polished light.

jayu26

Okay so here is an attempt at thread summary for events that happened today.

Guys at both Beyond3d and Gaf are still confused by the numbers in the DF article.

Soon the thread turned into "first party game visuals" pissing contest. (My personal two cents is that 1080p/60 frames is not a barometer to anything taken on its own, I mean fuck'en Wipeout HD ran at 1080p/60 frames on PS3, but no one in the right mind would compare that to Froza 5. But that is just my two cents.)

And Hawk269 claims to have played a game no one else has played (why the fuck would developers let you do that Hawk269? What the fuck is so special about you?)

StudioTan

Don't really care about the dude's credibility (or lack thereof) but saying that a game has "lots of pop in, slow down, LOD issues, weird pauses" etc, isn't exactly a matter of opinion anymore, especially since we've all seen quite a few gameplay demos. Unless they showed some ompletely different super secret stuff for that "private" session. Given that ISS has been one of their flagship titles since Feb, I'm not even sure why that would happen anyway.

What they showed at the conference for the public was played by someone who knew exactly what to show and it's possible that if they gave someone free reign to play the game that flaws would be revealed. That's exactly why some demos at E3 are not playable by the public or reporters. The game is not finished after all.

klaus

Somebody claims to have played a PS4 game and found it less impressive than an Xbox One game. Quick, grab the forks, it must be a witch!

I mean, seriously? Even if he is just trolling it's really hilarious to see 10 nervous people jump at his throat right at the instance..

Suikoguy

Somebody claims to have played a PS4 game and found it less impressive than an Xbox One game. Quick, grab the forks, it must be a witch!

Claims to have played a ps4 game NOBODY else played.
He is the only non developer in the world to have played the game according to him.

I find t highly unlikely no one else asked. Hell HHG was there and he always tries his luck. My guess as to why it was a presentation is because the map is unfinished and buggy. And they only wanted people to see it in a more polished light.

From pretending that patents and research papers are available all around the web about the amazing power of the esram without citing any sources to "messing" around with a demo behind closed doors at e3 that was prohibited from public and only available to devs.

This thread for sure is MUCH more entertaining than anyone thought.

popcorn_2.gif

shinnn

Wow infamous wasnt playable. Now thats explain why I didnt see any gameplay videos besides the trailer. Its the same for Killzone? I only saw one video from IGN in the entire E3.

So the two impressive PS4 games wasnt playable for the general public. "Surprised" it didnt got more attention here on gaf.

Jack_AG

Banned

I mean, seriously? Even if he is just trolling it's really hilarious to see 10 nervous people jump at his throat right at the instance..
PS4 doomed thanks to an unfinished game. Preorder.... ... ... CANCELED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom