• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

The Splash Mountain log and Tea Cups make for some awesome vehicles. The Tea Cups start spinning and it's hard to get a sense of which direction is forward. There is also the People Mover chairs from Wall-E that makes your character fat while sitting on it. lol I'm not sure if it'll make all characters fat. It doesn't seem to affect Star Wars characters.

Hex

Banned
Just marked out like crazy doing the sidekick maze.
Running it with jack, ended up with the Tron identity disk so I am Jack Skellington whizzing the identity disk bouncing it around while throwing pumpkin bombs.

I wish the Toybox Racing game had more tracks.

The Expansion will and you can always make more

RobbieNick

God bless whoever made the Tron Legacy level. Downloaded it immediately. Not bad. Follows the events of the movie.

Using Obi Wan as Jeff Bridges is fucking genius.

Megatron

Playsets:
Twilight of the Republic(Clone Wars): Out now
Rise of the Empire (Original Trilogy): Dec 29 Unless you have the PS3/PS4 Saga Bundle
Inside Out: Out Now
The Force Awakens: Dec 19
Age of Ultron: November?

Toybox Discs: Due in late October

Toybox Takeover (Diablo/Skylanders style game):
Toybox Speedway (Kart Racing)

Typo? September 29, right?

Did any of you have trouble finding toy box takeover in stores? I picked up my pre order today and best buy said they sold out of those the first day. While my blood pressure started to rise as I began to explain the concept of pre-order to them, and what that meant, they quickly offered to take $20 off the cost of my set so I can buy the takeover myself. Seemed like a good solution. Now I just have to decide if I need it now or want to try to wait for a price drop.

I will probably wait until the $15 from my rare purchase on the ms store is added to my account in a week, and then buy it.

RobbieNick

Typo? September 29, right?

Did any of you have trouble finding toy box takeover in stores? I picked up my pre order today and best buy said they sold out of those the first day. While my blood pressure started to rise as I began to explain the concept of pre-order to them, and what that meant, they quickly offered to take $20 off the cost of my set so I can buy the takeover myself. Seemed like a good solution. Now I just have to decide if I need it now or want to try to wait for a price drop.

I will probably wait until the $15 from my rare purchase on the ms store is added to my account in a week, and then buy it.

Yeah my bad. Sept 29.

Best Buy didn't get my pre-order until two days later and they tried to charge me for the Toybox Takeover. Took them forever to find it too.

Hex

Banned
First small gripe with the game...
Toy Box Takeover has some serious layering issues in some parts, enemies up on rooftops and on other levels and I end up seeing through floors and walls making it really rough to get my bearings.
Not horrible by any means, but did get a grr or two out of me.

fernoca

The racing playset is out? I'm assuming that's where my Mickey guy can go
Nope, late October. Developed by Sumo Digital. You got a tease during the driving area of the intro.

You can use Mickey across sny Toy Box mode/game. Just go to Community and download any level.

curb

Banned
I played Rise Against the Empire for a couple hours last night and I'm not sure how I feel about it. They nail a lot of the Star Wars-iness of the original trilogy but the concessions they have to make to have
the four main characters (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie) playable from the very start of the story
feels super weird. I like that the worlds are fairly open but doing a bunch of fetch quests to earn enough money to proceed felt a tad tedious.

Twilight of the Republic on the other hand just feels like a great non-canon episode of Clone Wars. I am loving that one.

graffix13

Twilight of the Republic on the other hand just feels like a great non-canon episode of Clone Wars. I am loving that one.

I am loving it too. Trying to take my time with it...still on
Tatoonie and getting ready to race my pod racer for Jabba. I think Naboo is the last planet?

I played Rise Against the Empire for a couple hours last night and I'm not sure how I feel about it. They nail a lot of the Star Wars-iness of the original trilogy but the concessions they have to make to have
the four main characters (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie) playable from the very start of the story
feels super weird. I like that the worlds are fairly open but doing a bunch of fetch quests to earn enough money to proceed felt a tad tedious.

Funny enough I had no interest in the Twillight campaign, at least not enough to buy it unless I could find it dirt cheap. So it sounds like Twillight is better, for you anyway?

curb

Banned
Funny enough I had no interest in the Twillight campaign, at least not enough to buy it unless I could find it dirt cheap. So it sounds like Twillight is better, for you anyway?

Twilight is definitely more story-driven and flows better to me. Empire has a much more sandbox feel to it but without the spontaneity. It's big and open and you have to do tasks for people to proceed. So far, Twilight is much more following story beats although for me it just opened up into a similar open area on Coruscant so I don't know how it will progress from there.

Also, even though I grew up on the OT, I very much like prequel/Clone Wars era Jedi so Twilight appeals to me preferences more. The Empire playset is still good, it just feels a bit tedious. The Death Star trench run is adorably awesome though.

Twilight is definitely more story-driven and flows better to me. Empire has a much more sandbox feel to it but without the spontaneity. It's big and open and you have to do tasks for people to proceed. So far, Twilight is much more following story beats although for me it just opened up into a similar open area on Coruscant so I don't know how it will progress from there.

Also, even though I grew up on the OT, I very much like prequel/Clone Wars era Jedi so Twilight appeals to me preferences more. The Empire playset is still good, it just feels a bit tedious. The Death Star trench run is adorably awesome though.

Maybe it's good that they play different enough from each other, so that it's not the same gameplay between the two. I'm guessing at some point you wind up going to cloud city, endor, the second death star and reenact crucial moments from those situations.

curb

Banned
Maybe it's good that they play different enough from each other, so that it's not the same gameplay between the two. I'm guessing at some point you wind up going to cloud city, endor, the second death star and reenact crucial moments from those situations.

It seems like they took into consideration one of the biggest problem with the Spider-Man and Avengers sets in 2.0 being that they were so similar in setting and structure. These two Star Wars playsets really feel quite different from each other.

The Empire set shows Tatooine, Hoth and Endor's forest moon as selectable planets. The Death Star isn't a destination you can choose but you play inside of it so something in Cloud City could be possible as well.

ta155

Having an absolute blast with this so far, easily the best work they've done on Infinity and hoping it now becomes a real platform rather than an annual release.

In the US at the moment and very tempted by that Best Buy deal.... what 3.0 figures would people recommend? I've already got Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Olaf.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Having an absolute blast with this so far, easily the best work they've done on Infinity and hoping it now becomes a real platform rather than an annual release.

In the US at the moment and very tempted by that Best Buy deal.... what 3.0 figures would people recommend? I've already got Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Olaf.

Honestly you'd be better off spending the cash on the Inside Out Playset for more actual game IMO since you have a ton of SW characters already.

That's just me though.

If you're doing the Buy 3, Get 1 free, go with the two Tron figures, Mickey, and Mulan. Target also has a 2 for $20 sale right now, and they have Sabine as an exclusive, if that's more your style.

This is the first time that I bought this game. Haha xD

21112996025_f6b13c6257_b.jpg

20491948453_a0e5a9ac57_b.jpg

21102874512_6cf9e2cbec_b.jpg

More pics here.

SuperPac

My daughter LOOOOOVES Inside Out so I picked up the starter set and the Inside Out playset. It's going to be a fun weekend. This is our first Disney Infinity.

Experien

Wierd, I just bought the Saga bundle for PS4 on Amazon right now and it said that I qualified for the free Toy Box Takeover pre-order bonus.

Neverfade

I've been watching a bunch of videos deciding if I want to bother with the game aspect of Infinity. While it looks like it'd be pretty special for a younger audience I don't have kids to play with. I'm kinda concerned there's just not enough challenge or a level of content I'm ok with for the price of admission (if I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing I'm all for someone assuaging my fears here!).

So, my question now is, will any of the starter characters be available outside of starter packs? I don't really have a need for Anakin and Asokah but I'd like to pick up a Luke and Leia when the OT characters come out later this month.

Edit: Looks like my question was inadvertently answered below!

Edit 2: Although if there is an option to not have to essentially pay a little extra for the playset piece that would be even better.

LaserHawk

Is Inside Out still worth it if I haven't seen the movie?

I think the general idea of the playset might be lost on you if you haven't seen the movie. It's a very abstract concept of the personified emotions inside a girl's brain controlling the way she thinks and acts. I don't know, it's probably possible for you to get the gist of it enough to enjoy the playset. But it's easy for me to recommend the movie, which I thought was pretty good.

I don't know if Best Buy's deal includes figures from previous games, but my favorites from 2.0 were Stitch and Merida. Stitch becomes an absolute beast when you level him up enough and expand his skill tree.

Finally got around to playing using remote play last night. I did some stuff in the toy box and completed a Phineas and Ferb platforming challenge. I thought that DI would be a good game for remote play since they fixed the control scheme and I'm happy that I was right.

The slight lag w/ remote play is barely perceptible since the game doesn't exactly require precise timing, and the control scheme works well. Looking forward to screwing around in the toy box while the TV is in use, which should help me get a lot more use out of 3.0 than either of the two games before it.

Really wish they added more skills for the 1.0 characters. I've only really played around with Elsa so far from 1.0 but after playing as the Jedi and Mulan she's really lacking.

Kitoro

Any impressions from the Inside Out Play Set? I'm tempted to pick it up with 3 figures for $50 at Best Buy after GCU discount and the B3G1F promos.

Going off YouTube videos, it seems like the first play set to not require split-screen play for two players, which would be a HUGE plus for me.

Is the platforming genuinely fun with a friend? Does it have a fair amount of content? Is it truly single screen ala Super Mario 3D World?

Thanks!

curb

Banned
Details about Marvel Battlegrounds coming at NYCC:

Disney Interactive presents a behind-the-scenes look at the new Marvel Play Set for Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition, this year’s must-have family game! Set to launch in 2016, the Marvel Battlegrounds Play Set introduces a new style of gameplay to the Disney Infinity platform, along with popular Marvel characters Hulkbuster, Ultron and others. Featuring an in-depth look at the Play Set, special guests from the Disney Infinity team, Avalanche Software, United Front Games and Marvel, and figure giveaways!

Anyone find the hedge maze plants in the toy box? I can't find them anywhere but I can't see anything on the Internet about them being taken out.

Christopher

Again this game is so awesome I'm kicking myself in too late

Are their retailer exclusives like this set from the previous ones?

For instance fear is Amazon exclusive, Ezra is retailer exclusive and target has theirs too I think Mulan is best buy

Stanng243

For instance fear is Amazon exclusive, Ezra is retailer exclusive and target has theirs too I think Mulan is best buy

I believe they are only retailer exclusive for a month.

The Starter Set's play set was pretty solid, but I'm most excited about the Original Trilogy one. It was the most fun at E3.

That and the kart racing

rawktapus

I think that's all of them.

I wouldn't kick yourself too hard about this being your first Infinity. It seems like this is the first one where the whole package actually clicks. The first disney infinity was SUPER bad in this regard due to multiple characters having the exact same, unimaginative, move-set(like Buzz and Woody) and leveling up characters only netting you "spins" for the toybox piece machine.

Stanng243

I think that's all of them.

I wouldn't kick yourself too hard about this being your first Infinity. It seems like this is the first one where the whole package actually clicks. The first disney infinity was SUPER bad in this regard due to multiple characters having the exact same, unimaginative, move-set(like Buzz and Woody) and leveling up characters only netting you "spins" for the toybox piece machine.

You're wrong about Buzz and Woody. Buzz's jet pack made him so much better. The first 2 weren't horrible, just not really good.

Hawk269

I believe they are only retailer exclusive for a month.

Yeah it is only for 1 month, that is why none of the exclusives have the retailers name plastered on them. I believe it is Sept. 29th when they are open to all that is also when the next Star Wars Playset comes out and I believe Darth Vader, Han Solo and a few other characters are coming out.

ghibli99

Any impressions from the Inside Out Play Set? I'm tempted to pick it up with 3 figures for $50 at Best Buy after GCU discount and the B3G1F promos.

Going off YouTube videos, it seems like the first play set to not require split-screen play for two players, which would be a HUGE plus for me.

Is the platforming genuinely fun with a friend? Does it have a fair amount of content? Is it truly single screen ala Super Mario 3D World?

Thanks!
My wife and I played through the first part of it, and we had fun. The controls are "good enough" IMO... certainly not top-tier platforming, but it gets the job done. Each area has lots of collectibles, so you'll be playing through it a couple times, unless you do a thorough scrub your first go at it.

It is single-screen, and zooms out a fair distance before characters that go off-screen are brought back inside a bubble to where the other player is.

We had a good time picking each other up and throwing one another around. I dig it. She plays as Sadness, and I ended up selling/returning Anger and Disgust.

rawktapus

You're wrong about Buzz and Woody. Buzz's jet pack made him so much better. The first 2 weren't horrible, just not really good.

If i remember right, the jetpack wasn't something unique to Buzz, but a "pack" item that he, and any Disney Infinity character, could equip. The fact was, compared to skylanders characters, the Infinity gang was really generic. All 3 pirates played the same. Jack Skellington was basically a reskinned Monsters Inc, character.

I dunno, for me, the toys should be the most important, customizable part of a toys-to-life game, but why choose between Jessie and Woody when they both just do a generic shoulder tackle and throw a pixar ball? Why doesn't woody use his drawstring as a lasso? Why doesn't Jessie yodel and summon woodland critters to attack? I'll admit they've gotten better, but the first one felt like a giant wasted oppurtunity, especially compared to the creativity on display with the skylander characters (even though artistically, DI's characters were better designed.)

Top Bottom