• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Osahi

Arrived intact! Preorder bonus got shipped separately, but that's OK... very excited to finally check this out, and my wife absolutely LOVES the Inside Out figures! :)

They're great indeed. Too bad they are so expensive. I also have no real interest in the play set. Might grab a sadness second hand or at a sale later on though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've got a review copy, very generous from Disney interactive, with not only the Wii U starter pack (I envie that Boba Fett PS4 exclusive!), Yoda, the Inside-out playset with also an additional Sadness figure, and Minnie.

I have to say that the Star wars adventure seems better than the previous Avengers playset, in terms of level design and combat system. I've tried a little bit also the separated racng "minimode" and so far I liked it more than the "tower defense" of DI 2.0.

glaurung

I've got a review copy, very generous from Disney interactive, with not only the Wii U starter pack (I envie that Bona Fett PS4 exclusive!), Yoda, the Inside-out playset with also an additional Sadness figure, and Minnie.

I have to say that the Star wars adventure seems better than the previous Avengers playset, in terms of level design and combat system. I've tried a little bit also the separated racng "minimode" and so far I liked it more than the "tower defense" of DI 2.0.
Bona Fett, the long lost sister of Boba Fett.

It's cool that Disney sends out a lot of review copies. An Infinity launch done right!

What are the infinity figures with really unique abilities? I remember when 1.0 was out Buzz Lightyear having a rocket pack was a big deal in terms of traversal. Same with the Cars set.

I just picked up Infinity 1.0 for 3DS. I know it's bad. Any opinions on the 3DS version? Strange that a Mario Party like game only has two player.

The original game's free on Wii U so need to get that starter set, just the toys. I wish there was just Toy Box strater set for 3.0 like there was for 2.0. I have no interest in Marvel and Star wars as well as most of Disney. The Toy Box stuff is what looks interesting to me.

vongruetz

Banned
I keep seeing photos and posts with everything people bought on day one and I can't help but think to slow down. This isn't a sprint and the figures and play sets will be around for the whole year. I'm trying to slow myself down and space out the purchases. I know sales are inevitable, so why not wait for them and save some money?

Rootbeer

Banned
The reason so many people are buying so heavily right now is due to sales. Best Buy has Buy 3 Get 1 free and after GCU this amounts to around $9 per figure. Even a year from now when they are clearing these out you'll barely find a deal better than that. So it makes some financial sense to buy a lot of them now if you have the cash and the desire. You could be enjoying the figures for an entire year before they are on clearance for a similar price.

I'm not denying that better sales may occur within the next year but they will be far and few between and probably not much cheaper than $9 per figure. What is the best you could hope for? Maybe $8 per figure if we are very lucky.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Other than another Inside Out character or two I'm good.

I'm waiting for the light up versions of some Star Wars figures, and the family has Yoda and Obi now.

I just gotta wait for the 2nd playset.

Spyware

I keep seeing photos and posts with everything people bought on day one and I can't help but think to slow down. This isn't a sprint and the figures and play sets will be around for the whole year. I'm trying to slow myself down and space out the purchases. I know sales are inevitable, so why not wait for them and save some money?
I want to be able to choose the best looking figures for the ones I care about, so I preferrably buy them in a physical store. Since GAME closed down there is only a single store in my town that stocks them and they get about 1-3 of each. They don't restock them often and some never at all so I have to take the plunge if I want to be sure of the quality. The general quality is amazing but there was still for example 2 Disgust figures with color bleeding and spots in that small selection of 3. The nearest stores besides the one in my town is 130km away :(
So sad that they didn't have Mulan.

Skipped most of the SW characters because I don't care too much about the guys and I don't think they will be hard to find. Sabine was a must tho, what a cool lady <3

I pre-ordered the starter pack online and just realized that they didn't send me that Toy Box Takeover thing. Gaah.

eFKac

Hey guys I'm totally new to DI, read the OP but it's still confusing to me.

So I'm on the PS4, never had any DI game before and my situation is as goes.
I want to play all single player Star Wars "campaigns", not interested in the creation part and want as few figures as possible or preferably no toys at all.

What are my choices, and what would be the cheapest solution, as I'm short on cash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OneUh8

Okay. So I finally got to sit down last night and play for a few hours. Keep in mind this is my first time ever playing a toys to life game.

I LOVE IT!

This game is super addicting. I spent my whole time in the toy box too. I am not normally the type of person that likes to self create in games like minecraft or the like.

Having all the Disney properties in one game with all the themes and music is just amazing. The controls are tight and super fun to play with any of the Jedi. The collection aspect of the game is what is really drawing me in. I am a sucker for that. I now see how people can spend tons of money on this as I now want to go out and buy more figures and the Inside Out playset also. I have never seen the movie though. Just thought I would share my excitement and can't wait to get back at it. I think I might try out the toybox takeover as the diablo style game sounds amazing to me.

Hex

Banned
I literally spent like two hours farming last night.
Seriously this game will eat my time like nothing and I am ok with it.
When you are a huge Disney fan every little thing is seriously fun, when on top of that you are also a huge Star Wars fan every little nuance is so good...and add to that I am a huge comic fan...yeah I am screwed.

Hey guys I'm totally new to DI, read the OP but it's still confusing to me.

So I'm on the PS4, never had any DI game before and my situation is as goes.
I want to play all single player Star Wars "campaigns", not interested in the creation part and want as few figures as possible or preferably no toys at all.

What are my choices, and what would be the cheapest solution, as I'm short on cash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a fairly decent PC? Infinity on PC is 100% digital, no figures. Otherwise if you intend to play on console, you really can't get around the figures although you don't need to buy all the standalone ones. But you'll need at least one of the figures that come with the starter sets ( Anakin/Ahsoka for Twillight campain, Luke/Leia for Rise of the Empire).

There's a lot of week one sales to be had at various B&M retailers, probably the best deals you'll find until the holiday shopping season which is 2 months away. That probably is why people are loading up right now. As said above, when these go on sale they're normally $9 which is what they basically break down to if you take advantage of current deals.

eFKac

Do you have a fairly decent PC? Infinity on PC is 100% digital, no figures. Otherwise if you intend to play on console, you really can't get around the figures although you don't need to buy all the standalone ones. But you'll need at least one of the figures that come with the starter sets ( Anakin/Ahsoka for Twillight campain, Luke/Leia for Rise of the Empire).

Ehh hardly, a laptop with a 740GT and a i3 3220U iirc, will check if I can run it at all.

As for the PS4, what would you recommend? A Starter Pack and some standalone figures?

Hex

Banned
Ehh hardly, a laptop with a 740GT and a i3 3220U iirc, will check if I can run it at all.

As for the PS4, what would you recommend? A Starter Pack and some standalone figures?

To be honest a starter pack will have everything you need including a figure or two meant for that set.
More figures are all bonus after that and just bring fun and variety.
Ideally the PS4 bundle pack with Boba Fett is your best bet.
You get the Clone Wars set, the Trilogy set, the figures for each and you can sell Boba Fett to recoup $40 or so of the cost pretty easily I would imagine. Maybe more.

Since this is your first foray into it, I would start off with the Twillight starter pack and not invest in extra figures till you've decided whether you're happy with the base game to continue on.Though, some retailers are having sales on figures now( ie Target has 2 for 20) which you'll miss out on IF you get hooked, and I imagine the next wave of sales won't be till the holiday shopping period. If you don't mind waiting a bit, black friday usually brings up to 50% sales on this stuff so you can get both playsets( Twillgiht and Rise of the empire) for $35-40. You may want to look up some youtube vids to get a better idea of gameplay, or you can look at the various positive testimonials on GAF if you're comfortable taking the word of others.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Trying to decide if I want to try and rebuild my collection on PS4 (go buy figures and discs from 1.0 and 2.0 again) or just continue on PC. I have just about everything on the PC (minus power discs). Having the physical figures would be cool, but I imagine it would be VERY expensive to acquire everything now.

Spyware

Not feeling good about my chance to get that Toy Box Takeover I was promised. No more important pre-orders from that place, that's for sure. :(

Contacted the chat support and told the guy that the thingie that they promised to send out with the preorders was missing. The response was pretty much: "Activision might send us some maybe. You might get it by next week or something. Thanks, bye!"

Activision huh? Yeah.

Ludist210

So I've just been messing around in the Toy Box Hub so far, and I think this is, by far, the best Infinity yet. On Wii U, the framerate and such has been much improved (at least thus far).

I'm up to a grand total of...79 figures. All of 1.0 and 2.0 plus twelve of 3.0 and all of the crystal figures.

Not feeling good about my chance to get that Toy Box Takeover I was promised. No more important pre-orders from that place, that's for sure. :(

Contacted the chat support and told the guy that the thingie that they promised to send out with the preorders was missing. The response was pretty much: "Activision might send us some maybe. You might get it by next week or something. Thanks, bye!"

Activision huh? Yeah.

I was in the same boat as many who pre-ordered from retail stores. I "reserved" my Starter Pack at Target. If you ever reserve anything at Target, know that it doesn't actually connect with any type of pre-order bonus. No Targets in the region received the Toy Box Takeover pre-order bonus. The manager gave me a $20 gift card so I could at least pick it up when it releases at retail in October.

Activision huh? Yeah.

You should escalate that to management, either a refund for the value of the takeover set or a coupon for it whenever they get it.

Spyware

I was in the same boat as many who pre-ordered from retail stores. I "reserved" my Starter Pack at Target. If you ever reserve anything at Target, know that it doesn't actually connect with any type of pre-order bonus. No Targets in the region received the Toy Box Takeover pre-order bonus. The manager gave me a $20 gift card so I could at least pick it up when it releases at retail in October.
Ugh, that doesn't sound fun, but at least you don't have to buy it.
I miss GAME. Everything was clear and good and nice with them D:

You should escalate that to management, either a refund for the value of the takeover set or a coupon for it whenever they get it.
Yeah, gonna wait until next week to see if it magically shows up. If not I'll just contact them again and make some demands. Hopefully I get another person than the one I talked to today. :) Thanks for the coupon/gift card idea.

Vanillalite

I generally hate GameStop, but it's solice is that usually they handle preorder bonuses well in store. I know my local Target and Best Buy are always CLUELESS.

I generally hate GameStop, but it's solice is that usually they handle preorder bonuses well in store. I know my local Target and Best Buy are always CLUELESS.

Best Buy was a hassle to get takeover. Had to wait 25 minutes or so for them to give me one because the website didn't bundle it with my order. Toys R Us and Gamestop had boatloads of them though.

Vanillalite

Best Buy was a hassle to get takeover. Had to wait 25 minutes or so for them to give me one because the website didn't bundle it with my order. Toys R Us and Gamestop had boatloads of them though.

Yeah I walked in to my prefered GameStop, grabbed an Inside Out Playset from the shelf and went straight to the counter. Dude grabbed my preorder and bonus from the back no problems. He even made a point to say this is the Takeover preorder bonus when putting it in my bag.

It was stress free which was great seeing as there were so many insecurities in the review thread on if this was actually gonna be there for people.

graffix13

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is there to DO in the Toy Box? Any suggestions? I unlocked the 'hubs' or whatever but not much else since. What is fun to do in co op Toy Box?

I have been mainly playing Twilight.

Vanillalite

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is there to DO in the Toy Box? Any suggestions? I unlocked the 'hubs' or whatever but not much else since. What is fun to do in co op Toy Box?

It's like Minecraft. You can build shit or else login online and download other people's created levels ala say LBP.

Hex

Banned
Looking forward to diving into TBT tomorrow.
Jack Skellington should arrive tonight, and I will mess around with him tonight and then run him through the TBT tomorrow and then others.
Then Friday it is all about cracking into the Star Wars content.

It's a world/level builder. Your enjoyment of it will depend on how much you like games with creating levels as a focus. And,its the only plug and play mode for all characters from 1.0/2/0/3.0. So if you ever wanted to create something with Mickey Mouse, Captain America and Luke Skywalker in it, this is the place to do it.

There's a lot of week one sales to be had at various B&M retailers, probably the best deals you'll find until the holiday shopping season which is 2 months away. That probably is why people are loading up right now. As said above, when these go on sale they're normally $9 which is what they basically break down to if you take advantage of current deals.

I did the math. If you have GCU already, for all the day 1 stuff + boba fett and toybox takeover, you're looking at a 382 MSRP. With preorder and launch sales, the cheapest you could do for all the launch stuff (minus discs) is 260. That's a 32% savings which is pretty decent.

Rizzi

It depends what you like to do.
There is alot of content, there are tons of managing things to do like farming (literal..buying plots and assigning sidekicks to work it), leveling side-kicks, unlocking things.
There are user made levels as well as dev made levels.
But that being said, if you are hardcore you can probably nail each of the playsets in a matter of a few hours each maybe more if you hike the difficulty (the clone wars, the trilogy, toybox rampage).

So it is hard to say.

I generally don't hardcore plow through most games. Are the playsets good though?

graffix13

It's like Minecraft. You can build shit or else login online and download other people's created levels ala say LBP.

It's a world/level builder. Your enjoyment of it will depend on how much you like games with creating levels as a focus. And,its the only plug and play mode for all characters from 1.0/2/0/3.0. So if you ever wanted to create something with Mickey Mouse, Captain America and Luke Skywalker in it, this is the place to do it.

Thanks. I've played Minecraft (PS4) but never played Little Big Planet.

So where do you go to....build? I messed around briefly in my house or whatever. I think I changed the paint/trim and added a few rooms. Where else can I go to build stuff? And I'm guessing you're limited to the pre-loaded templates. It isn't as in depth as Minecraft I take it?

curb

Banned

So where do you go to....build? I messed around briefly in my house or whatever. I think I changed the paint/trim and added a few rooms. Where else can I go to build stuff? And I'm guessing you're limited to the pre-loaded templates. It isn't as in depth as Minecraft I take it?

There may be other ways to get there but from the main menu, go under Toy Box and create a new toy box. You can start with a blank one or it can prebuild some terrain.

You load a new empty toy box. It has limitations as to how much you can put in each toy box but you can link toy boxes together to create levels if want. Like in Minecraft, a lot of the items have logic functions that will perform certain actions when conditions are met.

Personally, me and my family just like to world build. We hang out and talk a lot through Xbox chat even when we're not playin games but toy box has been our go-to to just hang and mess around.

My experience with Minecraft is limited but watching my son play it, Infinity isn't as vast. Toybox is accessible right on the game intro screen with all the other modes, there should be an option to start a new one. You have the pre-loaded templates but the various characters and playsets will open up additional creation tools. For example in 2.0, using the Avengers playset will open up Avenger themed creation templates in the toybox world.

graffix13

There may be other ways to get there but from the main menu, go under Toy Box and create a new toy box. You can start with a blank one or it can prebuild some terrain.

You load a new empty toy box. It has limitations as to how much you can put in each toy box but you can link toy boxes together to create levels if want. Like in Minecraft, a lot of the items have logic functions that will perform certain actions when conditions are met.

Personally, me and my family just like to world build. We hang out and talk a lot through Xbox chat even when we're not playin games but toy box has been our go-to to just hang and mess around.

My experience with Minecraft is limited but watching my son play it, Infinity isn't as vast. Toybox is accessible right on the game intro screen with all the other modes, there should be an option to start a new one. You have the pre-loaded templates but the various characters and playsets will open up additional creation tools. For example in 2.0, using the Avengers playset will open up Avenger themed creation templates in the toybox world.

Great, thank you!

I did the math. If you have GCU already, for all the day 1 stuff + boba fett and toybox takeover, you're looking at a 382 MSRP. With preorder and launch sales, the cheapest you could do for all the launch stuff (minus discs) is 260. That's a 32% savings which is pretty decent.

That actually sounds like quite an investment when you put it like that. Those values are like buying a new console.

Top Bottom