• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

fernoca

If it's anything like Brave Forest Siege, I'll really enjoy it. Problem is that people who bought it digitally (like me) can't get it yet. :(
Nothing like it though. Is like Escape from Kyln, which is close Diablo in perspective, beating tons of enemies and collect loot.

Though I bought the game digitally, I got Takeover at retail; at launch. Try around a Gamestop orToys R Us. Best Buy and Target seem to have problems with their allocations.

Hi guys Im new to Disney Infinity and I wanted to make sure what I should buy next. I bought 3.0 digitally through my PS4, a used base from Gamestop, and have an old Jack figure from 1.0. From what I understand I need some sort of white see through figure to play Inside Out and the Star Wars. Is that all there is? And are power disks toys or a specific power up?

fernoca

Hi guys Im new to Disney Infinity and I wanted to make sure what I should buy next. I bought 3.0 digitally through my PS4, a used base from Gamestop, and have an old Jack figure from 1.0. From what I understand I need some sort of white see through figure to play Inside Out and the Star Wars. Is that all there is? And are power disks toys or a specific power up?
You can only use Jack in the Toy Box related modes.

The clear figures bundled with 2 characters are playsets. Only the characters from that playset can play on them. Indide Out characters in Inside Out, Star Wars in Star Wars playsets, etc.

Playsets from 1.0 and 2.0 can only be used in those respective games.

Power Discs are powerups for any charscter whie you play.

Ah, ok. Makes sense now. So are those bundles with the playset and two figures the only way to get the playsets? The Leia, Luke, and Death Star playset for instance.

Any impressions of rise against the empire? I'm not seeing reviews online. Star Wars is the entire reason I jumped on this bandwagon :)

How does the toybox work? Are most of the items for building available at the start or do I have to buy more and more play sets to unlock the content?

Hex

Banned
How does the toybox work? Are most of the items for building available at the start or do I have to buy more and more play sets to unlock the content?

You unlock things by just messing around and playing games within the toybox, unless you mean the actual playsets

Jawmuncher

Got my Tron Legacy figures today, shame it's probably the last bit of Tron merchandise we see for awhile. Also double shame that there wasn't a level pack for them.

fernoca

Yep. Outside eBay, you can only get playsets as bundles.

Also keeping in mind that the Luke/Leia bundle with playset along the original trilogy figures won't be released until September 29th.

You unlock things by just messing around and playing games within the toybox, unless you mean the actual playsets

No I mean the toybox. I was worried that I had to play through the playsets and/or buy a bunch of figures to unlock tools.

No I mean the toybox. I was worried that I had to play through the playsets and/or buy a bunch of figures to unlock tools.
You buy toy box items through the toy store with sparks that you collect by defeating enemies in any game mode. Some items however are locked behind playsets so they are required if you want everything for the toy box.

RobbieNick

So I got to play Toybox mode and switch out Kannan with Captain America only for Kannan's hand holding the lightsaber to suddenly pop off. Had to use crazy glue just to get it back on properly. This is the first time I've had one of these figures break on me like this.

RobbieNick

Any impressions of rise against the empire? I'm not seeing reviews online. Star Wars is the entire reason I jumped on this bandwagon :)

It plays a lot like Twilight of the Republic only you're going through different events from the movie. It changes events from the movie a bit as you can play as either Luke, Liea, Han and Chewie at any time. So all four of them now know each other from the very beginning and escape from the Rebel ship in an escape pod to Tattooine. (Why the imperials don't fire on it I'll never know) and you work your way to Ben Kenobi's home where he gives Luke his father's lightsaber....one level after he's been using it the entire time.

Then, you are at Mos Eisly spaceport as a hub world where you are taking on various missions to get enough money to pay off Jabba and get the Millenium Falcon back. From there, you can fly into space, do some dog fighting and eventually end up on the Death Star. Then, you go dogfighting along the Death Star to blow it up and eventually you are at a new hub world of Hoth. You do have the freedom to fly your ship back to Tatooine if there's any missions you haven't finished. I think Endor's the final hub world/planet.

Both SW games are a lot of fun and spacing out the hub worlds into bite-sized chunks makes them feel a lot bigger. The melee action is great and does have a bit of that DMC feel. Luke can knock a Stormtrooper into the air with his lightsaber and keep juggling him by shooting him while he's stuck in the air. That never gets old.

My main complaints are the controls for flying in space and dogfighting take some getting used to. Mainly because the last 4 games had specific helicopter-like flight controls and this changes up things by quite a bit. Also, no clothing changes from one movie planet set piece to the next. Liea will be in her white dress and hair buns all the way to Endor.

Sadly, since the original trilogy play set is PS4 bundle exclusive until Sept 29 (right when Lego Dimensions comes out. Stupid Disney) I can't buy Han or Chewie to play as. Luckily getting all the hero coins allows me to play other Star Wars characters outside of their timeline in the main game. Now Ezra and Darth Vader can join together to help the rebels! XD

They need to make toybox Takeover a more full fledged game as this is pretty close to Skylanders and it makes great use out of all of my figures.

RobbieNick

So if I bought this just for the Star Wars campaign, is it meaty enough for the price of admission? How long is it?

Hmm....$20 for the digital game. $35 for the set = $55. It's about 6-10 hours long depending on how many missions you want to beat. It's about as fun as Lego Star Wars so it depends on how big a fan you are. Plus, you can always download more fan-created levels.

Hmm....$20 for the digital game. $35 for the set = $55. It's about 6-10 hours long depending on how many missions you want to beat. It's about as fun as Lego Star Wars so it depends on how big a fan you are. Plus, you can always download more fan-created levels.
It also depends on how much you value physical merchandise.

ghibli99

I keep seeing photos and posts with everything people bought on day one and I can't help but think to slow down. This isn't a sprint and the figures and play sets will be around for the whole year. I'm trying to slow myself down and space out the purchases. I know sales are inevitable, so why not wait for them and save some money?
Maybe people are just excited to get stuff now? I admit to having some slight buyer's remorse, and I'll probably ditch some of the characters I don't really want, but there's something about getting caught up in the excitement and experiencing it as it's all happening.

Hex

Banned
Any idea if it is possible to wipe a figure? I bought used figures but they are tied to someone else and I do not want to share ownership

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If we buy them all, they'll HAVE to make Tron 3. Right guys? Guys?

I was unboxing Quorra and Sam Flynn today and complaining to my wife about how the movie was canceled :(

rcl66

I literally spent like two hours farming last night.
Seriously this game will eat my time like nothing and I am ok with it.
When you are a huge Disney fan every little thing is seriously fun, when on top of that you are also a huge Star Wars fan every little nuance is so good...and add to that I am a huge comic fan...yeah I am screwed.

Is farming just in the toy box hub? I was trying to setup a toy box level just to farm but couldn't figure it out last night.

Hex

Banned
By farming do you guys mean actual farming or farming for certain items??

Actual farming.
Crops feed your sidekicks which boost their stats, and some plants will also give you sparks.
You can buy additional plots.
Right now I am running four plots.
You can also get different hats which help narrow down which crop the sidekick wearing it will grow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really impressed with this game. It's like they took most of my complants about 2.0 and fixed them. Really fun and a TON of stuff to do.

Cleve

I'm really impressed with this game. It's like they took most of my complants about 2.0 and fixed them. Really fun and a TON of stuff to do.

Yeah, 2.0 was a pretty boring disappointment, I'm having more fun now with the toybox takeover than I had with any of the 2.0 playsets.

RobbieNick

Actual farming.
Crops feed your sidekicks which boost their stats, and some plants will also give you sparks.
You can buy additional plots.
Right now I am running four plots.
You can also get different hats which help narrow down which crop the sidekick wearing it will grow.

I love using the sidekicks in Toybox Takeover. I have Mabel for mine. She's equipped with a rocket launcher and Rebel pilot helmet. She can wipe out half the enemies for me, but she's always hungry. Can't feed her enough. Gonna start doing that farm thing.

They really need to expand the Toybox Takeover mode. It's like they're finally competing with Skylanders in terms of similar gameplay.

I love using the sidekicks in Toybox Takeover. I have Mabel for mine. She's equipped with a rocket launcher and Rebel pilot helmet. She can wipe out half the enemies for me, but she's always hungry. Can't feed her enough. Gonna start doing that farm thing.

They really need to expand the Toybox Takeover mode. It's like they're finally competing with Skylanders in terms of similar gameplay.

I'm really hoping that's what 4.0 is. We've done Pixar, Marvel, and now Star Wars. Either a full fledged Disney pack or a crossover event is what I'm hoping for. Toybox Takeover is such a good step in the right direction. I'd just rather the camera not be stationary from above though.

RobbieNick

Not a playset, but the Sumo Digital-developed Toy Box Speedway (this fall, I think?) looks great!

Playsets:
Twilight of the Republic(Clone Wars): Out now
Rise of the Empire (Original Trilogy): Sept 29 Unless you have the PS3/PS4 Saga Bundle
Inside Out: Out Now
The Force Awakens: Dec 19
Age of Ultron: November?

Toybox Discs: Due in late October

Toybox Takeover (Diablo/Skylanders style game):
Toybox Speedway (Kart Racing)

Top Bottom