• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

ramparter

Banned
Disney Infinity 3.0 comes out today but surprisingly I didn't see an OT.

Anyway since I saw ign's review in my twitter I decided to make a thread.

I searched for more reviews and so far the games is scoring much better than the previous entries.

IGN: 8.9
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/28/disney-infinity-30-review
THE VERDICT

Disney Infinity 3.0 sees the pop culture powerhouse flexing its formidable mega franchise muscles with impressive results. It’s a game that doesn’t just encourage the player to have fun, it insists on it; offering up a generous helping of gameplay and countless things to unlock even before you start piling on all the optional add-ons. It’s truly a dizzying amount of Disney; a virtual toy box packed with some of the most beloved characters from the past hundred years of entertainment, polished up and overflowing with fun and options for creativity. It’s often said that the all-ages approach of Nintendo has led to it becoming the Disney of the videogame world. With Disney Infinity 3.0, the House of Mouse has made its most confident strides yet towards earning that title for its own.

Forbes: 8/10
http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2015/08/28/disney-infinity-3-0-review/
While these quibbles detract from the overall experience, to linger too long on the negatives is to miss just how much value and content is on offer in the Disney Infinity 3.0 Starter Pack. It’s an experience with considerable polish that will introduce many young players to Star Wars franchise for the first time. Equally it will re-connect many parents who remember the original trilogy to the more recent joys of Rebels, Clone Wars and Episodes I, II and III.

Alongside substantial improvement to the game there has been considerable effort to improve the value here with the lower price starter pack. Disney Infinity 3.0 will be hard to resist for fans of the film and families looking for this year’s toy-to-life video-game investment.

Pocket-lint: 4/5
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...pack-review-the-force-is-strong-with-this-one
Overall Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars is a great addition to the toys to life series. It's a good starting point to the Disney series if you're not already on board, but if you are then simply use an existing Disney Infinity Base to save buying the full price set.

MMGN: 8.5/10
http://mmgn.com/ps4/disney-infinity-3-0-review
Disney Infinity 3.0 has embraced its connection with Star Wars to deliver the best combat-based Play Set in the series yet. Twilight of the Republic is fantastic fun as a family-friendly Star Wars adventure, based on the solid foundations of a quality action-adventure game. Infinity as a whole goes well beyond that. It's all about imagination, and getting back what you put in. The creation tools have been improved for the better, but still take plenty of time to learn, and online content is much more engaging within the Toy Box Hub, which should entice more players to get involved in sharing their creations. Plus, the Star Wars figures look great sitting next to amiibo. I'm going to need a bigger shelf.

Stevivor: 8
http://stevivor.com/2015/08/review-disney-infinity-3-0/
There is so much to say about Disney Infinity 3.0 to say, I could go on for ages. In the end, it’s another massive innovation on a franchise that is practically bursting at the seams with… well, everything. The “infinity” bit of Infinity has never been more accurate. Despite a couple rough edges, gameplay is there. Replay value is there. Variety is definitely there. The one thing that hampers this amazing product is that it can easily turn into the most costly thing you ever take up.

If you’ve got the cash behind you, I can’t recommend Disney Infinity 3.0 enough. Can I have Luke and Leia now?

Gamespot: 8/10
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/disney-infinity-30-review/1900-6416230/
Of course, Disney Infinity 3.0 is more than just what's included in this year's starter kit. That's just the platform for a whole other range of experiences, including Toy Box expansion games, more play sets (sets that encompass the original Star Wars trilogy and the new upcoming film have already been announced, as well as one based on Inside Out), plus a whole new range of toys. You'll have to pay for all of these expanded experiences, of course, so your overall mileage and enjoyment of Disney Infinity 3.0 will vary. For all of this year's improvements in combat and the Toy Box, the core appeal of Disney Infinity remains the same: it's a great, kid-friendly experience that, thanks to the complexity inherent in building worlds from scratch, skews a little bit more towards older kids than the very young. Its structured play may be the best it's ever been, but when it comes to the unstructured building side of Infinity, well, that will only go so as far as your imagination can take it.

God is a Geek - 8/10
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/disney-infinity-3-review/
It’s fair to say that with all the new characters, power discs and modifiers to collect, Disney Infinity 3.0 will still be a major drain on your bank balance but, quite frankly, the lightsabers make up for it, and you’ll be having fun again no matter how old (or young) you are.

Press Start Australia: 9
http://press-start.com.au/2015/08/28/review-disney-infinity-3-0/
Disney Infinity 3.0 is the game that i’ve been waiting for since toys-to-life came to fruition a few years ago. It is a complete and polished package that genuinely has something for hardcore and casual gamers alike, young and old. It is better than Disney Infinity 2.0 in almost every way and brilliantly celebrates all things Disney, Marvel and Star Wars.

Game Informer: 8.5
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...ion4/archive/2015/08/28/a-return-to-form.aspx
Disney Infinity 3.0 is a return to form for this series and developer Avalanche Software. With the assistance of Sumo Digital and Ninja Theory, the racing and combat are vastly improved. A strong emphasis is placed on variety; hopefully signaling an end to scenarios like seemingly endless waves of frost giants. With Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, and Pixar already integrated into the Infinity experience, one has to wonder where Avalanche goes from here. No matter what the future may bring, this series is once again in tip-top shape, and is a place where adults and kids alike should be able to indulge in a wealth of fun.

Orca

I wonder if they've considered making the starter pack free, like the first hit of crack. They'd make it up on the figures and sets lol

Disney Infinity 3.0 is the game that i’ve been waiting for since toys-to-life came to fruition a few years ago. It is a complete and polished package that genuinely has something for hardcore and casual gamers alike, young and old. It is better than Disney Infinity 2.0 in almost every way and brilliantly celebrates all things Disney, Marvel and Star Wars.
Press Start Australia (9)

KHlover

Banned
Won't buy until Mabel takes her lawful place as an actually playable character. What did we even win that stupid poll for? Screw you, Disney.

robotrock

Banned
I wonder if they've considered making the starter pack free, like the first hit of crack. They'd make it up on the figures and sets lol

I had no interest in this game at all. I ended up going to the Disney Interactive panel at D23 last week for the Kingdom Hearts 3 stuff though and they ended up giving me some Mickey Mouse figure.

That Mickey Mouse figure looks pretty cool and I am now considering picking up this game.

glaurung

Won't buy until Mabel takes her lawful place as an actually playable character. What did we even win that stupid poll for? Screw you, Disney.
Might be a long wait.

They are releasing 3.0 figures in waves. Darth Vader is not coming until November. Han Solo gets released in October.

Does not matter, I pre-ordered the special edition for the PS4 ages ago.

ekim

Can I simply download the digital version without buying any toy stuff or do I need any former version?

ramparter

Banned
Can I simply download the digital version without buying any toy stuff or do I need any former version?

From what I found you will need the base and at least a figure. Was thinking of doing the same but I don't see base sod stand alone in my country.

ekim

From what I found you will need the base and at least a figure. Was thinking of doing the same but I don't see base sod stand alone in my country.

meh. Why do I need that figures in the first place? How does the game know I have a figure? I something tethered via USB to my Xbox? Why can't I simply buy the figures as DLC?

If you've got the base from one of the previous games (same console), you can buy it digital and start playing in Toy Box with any past characters you already have. To play the SW playset, though, you need to buy it: it's included in the starter pack, but also sold separately.

meh. Why do I need that figures in the first place? How does the game know I have a figure? I something tethered via USB to my Xbox? Why can't I simply buy the figures as DLC?

You plug in the power base via USB and put the figures onto the power base. The base reads the code on the figure and you get the character in-game.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So physical overpriced DLC. I see. meh. The Star Wars campaign looks awesome.

Not really. They're quality figures and the characters are admirably unique feeling. I wouldn't call them overpriced, especially if you wait for the rather frequent sales most retailers have on them.

Shancake

I reviewed the game for Press Start Australia and after a week am still blown away. The combat is so good and the game is so polished. There is a huge amount of content here for absolutely any gamer.

infinityswagdzq59.jpg

All set here, postie came nice and early. 3.0 for the kid, Inside Out & Merida for my partner and the last 1.0 playset I never got to for myself while he hogs the PS4 (still got the old 1.0 on the WiiU). New controller too for co-op!

Not really. They're quality figures and the characters are admirably unique feeling. I wouldn't call them overpriced, especially if you wait for the rather frequent sales most retailers have on them.

Totally agree. For peeps who want a new disney game but no interest in the figures, obviously ANY required figure will feel overpriced, but in context of the figurines themselves, they are really really nice quality. Much nicer build and size than the few Amiibo I have and ncier than my kid's skylanders imo. They look really nice on a shelf. You can get plenty for a good price too.

weekev

Banned
Man, Ive been avoiding this after being slightly disappointed with the first 2. Had no idea there was an Inside Out playset. I am fucked. My daughter frickin loves Inside Out, goddamn wallet is in tears.

JMizzlin

Skipped 2.0 after the incredible disappointment that was Disney Infinity 1. By the sound of these reviews they've really improved on what I understand was a lacklustre 2.0 which can only be a good thing.

Was in for select figures originally but looks like the Starter Pack will be happening. Still a bit filthy about the Boba Fett PS4 exclusivity but it's not worth getting mad about.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Ive been avoiding this after being slightly disappointed with the first 2. Had no idea there was an Inside Out playset. I am fucked. My daughter frickin loves Inside Out, goddamn wallet is in tears.
Yes, Inside Out is the only reason why I want to get this game, not having played any of the previous ones. Sadly the figures are going to be extremely overpriced here, if I can find them at all.

Im waiting for 4.0 that has actually good Star Wars characters and not this Episode I-III bullshit.

An OT set with Luke and Leia is coming next month, along with Han, Chewie, Vader etc. Boba Fett will be available for sale in 2016( as mentioned above, Sony got him exclusive to a ps4 bundle for the time being).

weekev

Banned
Yes, Inside Out is the only reason why I want to get this game, not having played any of the previous ones. Sadly the figures are going to be extremely overpriced here, if I can find them at all.
Thinj Ill hold off and give it to her fir Christmas.

Im waiting for 4.0 that has actually good Star Wars characters and not this Episode I-III bullshit.

Haha, I literally up a picture up of the starter set that has episode iv-vi characters in it! There is a playset & characters for both the clone wars, the original trilogy and even a playset and characters coming in december that are based on the new movies. OT playset & characters can be bought at the end of september, and for a limited time, as part of the sony saga edition (in my picture). Luke, Leia, Darth Vader, Chewie, Han, Boba Fett. Don't let the clone wars stuff put you off if you're not into it, the entire star wars franchise is getting its day here and you don't need to wait. Even the rebels characters are on sale, although no playset for those. Any star wars character can be played in any star wars playset now too, so you can take anakin out and darth vader the clone wars stuff if it helps you vent haha.

Courtsey of the interweb.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, I'm legitimately surprised at the scores. I saw the thread and was going to cancel my BB exclusive set if they were bad. Looks like I need to pick up the Inside Out set, too.

vongruetz

Banned
These are some really solid scores and better than expected. I can't wait until Monday so I can download the digital version and check it all out.

If I buy it for me on PS4, I'm gonna have to get it on PS3/WiiU for my kids as well, otherwise my PS4 is gonna get hogged all the time.

Where's cross-buy when I need it?

Expensive times.

Good news, the Wii U digital version is only $20.

And the bases for both versions are compatible (also really cheap used)

Just looking at the PS Store and DI3 for PS4 is like £16 to download. We already have 2 powerbases, and a stack of figures, so if I download this I'm good to go? It's not an upgrade for previous versions?

Edit - I guessing this is just the Toy Box - to play the Star Wars stuff I'll have to buy the play set separately.

I'm 40 and I want this. Is that wrong?

Ha, I'm almost 38 and I want it. I'm long past the point of worrying about age in relation to what I enjoy. If anything, the OT characters and set is more likely to appeal to people our age anyway. All the prequel/clone wars stuff is for the younger crowd.

I think this is the route I'm taking. I really don't want the Twilight starter set anytime soon and I have my wii U base from 2.0 which is also compatible with ps3 and ps4. I may just download the digital version, and pick up the Luke/Leia playset for 50% off on Black Friday. I know I'm going to wind up buying all the OT figures plus Maul, Obi-wan, Yoda.

Just looking at the PS Store and DI3 for PS4 is like £16 to download. We already have 2 powerbases, and a stack of figures, so if I download this I'm good to go? It's not an upgrade for previous versions?

Edit - I guessing this is just the Toy Box - to play the Star Wars stuff I'll have to buy the play set separately.

Yeah, the figures you already own can be used in toybox, you'll need to buy one of the playsets ala carte which will also open up Star Wars themed toybox assets for building.

RPGCrazied

I really detest how this is annualized now. If not for star wars, I probably would be skipping, but I must have those star war figures.

nib95

Banned
I'm a bit confused, what is the purpose of the toys that come with it? Are they needed to play the game, or do they add anything to the game, or are they purely cosmetic?

Zalman

I'm a bit confused, what is the purpose of the toys that come with it? Are they needed to play the game, or do they add anything to the game, or are they purely cosmetic?
You need the figures to play the game. It's like Skylanders.

glaurung

The way I understand it, the character data is kept on that very same figure chip. So you can level up a figure, take it to friend's house for co-op and have your character level stored.

On PC, you can go full digital IIRC, no figures necessary.

nib95

Banned
You need the figures to play the game. It's like Skylanders.

The way I understand it, the character data is kept on that very same figure chip. So you can level up a figure, take it to friend's house for co-op and have your character level stored.

On PC, you can go full digital IIRC, no figures necessary.

Oh I see. Sounds like it could get expensive lol.

Top Bottom