• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

jesu

Think I'll be buying the digital version when it goes on sale, and the same with Luke and Leia's playset.
And probably the the Inside Out one too.

Karak

Not really. They're quality figures and the characters are admirably unique feeling. I wouldn't call them overpriced, especially if you wait for the rather frequent sales most retailers have on them.

Ya agreed. I used to think the same of them until I actually got my hands on everything. Not bad actually

jwk94

Do we know how much the digital version will be? I"m trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to buy the playset, a portal on amazon, and then the digital version or just get the bundle straight up.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yes, the playsets are pretty much story mode. The individual characters can be used in the toybox mode, as well as open assets for world-building in that mode. And, for the first time in the series, any character can be played in any playset, so you can have the original characters in the PT era sets, and vice versa.

Cool, TY.

Briarios

What's the deal with the power disc packs? New to Infinity but I can't resist the Star Wars goodness included here.

In 3.0, the power discs come in set packs of 4 -- no more blind boosters!

I ended up ordering the PS4 LE ... I couldn't wait for the episode IV-VI set lol

However, that means I have an extra base if someone wants it for free. Just PM me.

I don't think there'll be a "Ben" or R2/3PO. If anything, they'll do a power disc to change Clone Wars Kenobi's appearance and I don't think the droids have any combat potential. Well, at least not C-3PO. R2 does have that teddy bear zapper.

Yeah, didn't think of the power disc for Ben, though its kind of odd as a long time fan how Mcgregor's Kenobi is now looked at as the defacto one, instead of the original old man Kenobi played by Sir Alec Guinness.

And yeah, you're right about the droids. Guess it's a little odd to do anything Star Wars without including them in some way.

Do we know how much the digital version will be? I"m trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to buy the playset, a portal on amazon, and then the digital version or just get the bundle straight up.

I think 19.99. You can grab a portal off amazon for like $10, and the playsets are $34.99. Not really a saving unless you get the playset on sale. I suppose the one advantage to doing this is if you prefer the Luke/Leia set over the Anakin/Apprentice set, since only the latter is in the starter set, unless you order to complete bundle for over $100.

As stated above, looks like the digital is $29.99, but I recall last year a promo where you could buy it the first month for $19.99. Maybe they'll have something like that again...

Grimsen

If there's a sale on the digital version like they did with 2.0, I'll bite, and probably get a Yoda fig until the Luke/leia set comes out.

curb

Banned
Yeah, didn't think of the power disc for Ben, though its kind of odd as a long time fan how Mcgregor's Kenobi is now looked at as the defacto one, instead of the original old man Kbenobi played by Sir Alec Guiness.

And yeah, you're right about the droids. Guess it's a little odd to do anything Star Wars without including them in some way.

It is weird to think of them not getting figures but they don't really fit into the "game" part of it.

Also, one of the behind the scenes videos I watched brought up how both Kenobi and Yoda are in the prequel set and not the OT. Since the Prequel set is much more lightsaber focused, they decided to base those figures in that set since it makes more sense combat-wise to have them there than in the OT set which is more exploration focused.

Thanks, Curb.

So, we have to buy the base 3.0 game, and then the DLC, correct? Can't pop that OT dlc on top of 1.0 base, right?

The 1.0 base is just THE base. You can use the same base between the Wii U and PlayStation versions (Xbox One/360 has their own base). You do need the 3.0 game to play the new playsets though. If you're starting from scratch and just want the OT set, you could probably track down a base on the cheap and just buy the 3.0 game digitally then get the OT playset.

Stanng243

Does anyone know when the Toy box takeover is releasing? Best buy had them as preorder bonuses, but now it shows as backordered for me.

It is weird to think of them not getting figures but they don't really fit into the "game" part of it.

Also, one of the behind the scenes videos I watched brought up how both Kenobi and Yoda are in the prequel set and not the OT. Since the Prequel set is much more lightsaber focused, they decided to base those figures in that set since it makes more sense combat-wise to have them there than in the OT set which is more exploration focused.

Yeah I can see the logic behind their inclusion as 'PT' characters. Good thing the restrictions on mixing characters and sets is now gone....

curb

Banned
Does anyone know when the Toy box takeover is releasing? Best buy had them as preorder bonuses, but now it shows as backordered for me.

I thought it was a month from now. I can't find a firm date anywhere though.

Yeah I can see the logic behind their inclusion as 'PT' characters. Good thing the restrictions on mixing characters and sets is now gone....

It is. I kinda get not letting Marvel characters inside the Star Wars playsets and whatnot but that still seems like a silly restriction. It's certainly better than it's been previously though. I'm glad the upcoming Marvel playset is inclusive like the Star Wars ones are.

In 3.0, the power discs come in set packs of 4 -- no more blind boosters!

I ended up ordering the PS4 LE ... I couldn't wait for the episode IV-VI set lol

However, that means I have an extra base if someone wants it for free. Just PM me.

I'm hoping that my local target will have some copies of the Saga bundle. I have that weird gamer's fear that there will zero in stock or there will be five other people there to get one as well. Its a silly fear, but exists within us all.

Zalman

I'm not into Star Wars so I will be skipping yet another year, but I'm really happy that it seems they've made a much better game than last year. I'm also happy that the Power Discs no longer come in blind packs. Maybe I'll actually bother collecting them now.

All of this is good for the future of the series. I'm just hoping for a bigger Disney focus next year.

Does that mean 2.0 characters can be used in the 3.0 Marvel playset? Or is that only for 3.0 characters( Hulkbuster, Ultron)?
Any Marvel character including the 2.0 ones are compatible.

I have question:

How are the separate movies being sold? As separate DLC?

So when the Original Trilogy set releases next month, will it be priced at DLC or as a full price game?

As physical "play sets". It will have two figures and the game piece that go on the base, unlocking the OT game.

Edit: also $35 USD I think.

Worth to mention it os aailable right now in the PS3/PS4 limites editon which also includes Boba Fett which will only be sold separetly next year.

They had to, Star Wars is as big as they come and if it under-performed, I think that would place 4.0 in jeopardy. I'm wondering what they would even follow Star Wars with? Indiana Jones? I can't think of any other IP under their umbrella big enough to base a game.

They already mentioned that 3.0 is the last game to introduce a franchise world, from now on it will build the established ones.

However they still have The Muppets, Indiana Jones and... I guess it is all.

curb

Banned
The Disney Infinity Team confirmed on Twitter that PSN will have it on sale for $20. I presume this is a release week sale price.

Good to know. I have the saga bundle preordered but I'll be looking to get rid of my extra base, 2.0 and 3.0 disc as I have 2.0 digitally and I'll want to do the same for 3.0.

I think it's worth noting that while it's not mentioned in the review, the reviewer put in the comments that the Toy Box takeover may not be as good as the rest citing it to be a "total grind".

Well, that doesn't sound great, but at least Toy Box Takeover is free with preordering. And at least it's a game mode that allows you to use any of the Disney Infinity characters.

Birbo

Wonder how the framerate will be on the last gen systems. My son has 2.0 on his 360 and we play together, but when you get a ton of stuff on screen, it really dips to slide show quality.

Briarios

I think it's worth noting that while it's not mentioned in the review, the reviewer put in the comments that the Toy Box takeover may not be as good as the rest citing it to be a "total grind".

If it's a good way to level up characters, I'm ok with that. I have a bunch which i still have to work through their skill trees

Any Marvel character including the 2.0 ones are compatible.

Awesome...

They already mentioned that 3.0 is the last game to introduce a franchise world, from now on it will build the established ones.

However they still have The Muppets, Indiana Jones and... I guess it is all.

Oh ok, yeah I figured the well was running dry beyond the classic stuff. I'm just amazed that 3 years in we haven't seen Lion King and Aladdin playsets.

Stanng243

Awesome...

Oh ok, yeah I figured the well was running dry beyond the classic stuff. I'm just amazed that 3 years in we haven't seen Lion King and Aladdin playsets.

Especially with so much Aladdin buildings. I'd love a frozen playset. They would make a killing if the sold a playset piece like the first game with multiple worlds. I'd kill for a playset for Aladdin or Frozen playset.

curb

Banned
I'm still confused why there are limitations on which characters can be used where when dimensions has no limitations at all.

It really is a weird limitation when you can mash them all up in the Toy Box mode anyway.

Controversial Statement Incoming.

This is gonna be the best Star Wars game since the PS2/Xbox/GameCube era.

I'm not going to go as far as "best" but there's a reason I preordered this and am probably skipping Battlefront and it mostly has to do with lightsaber combat.

For contrast, this is what Game Informer has to say about Toy Box Takeover:

Game Informer said:
The surprising star of Disney Infinity 3.0 is Toy Box Takeover, a separately sold adventure that unites the Disney, Star Wars, and Marvel universes in a crazy adventure in which the strangest conflicts can arise – such as Minnie Mouse throwing explosive purses at stormtroopers. This set is nicely paced and loaded with exciting combat challenges. It also puts one of Disney Infinity 3.0’s coolest enhancements, sidekicks, into the spotlight. As you play, these computer-controlled helpers fight at your side, and level up as they go. You even get to hunt down a nice selection of loot for them.Moving forward, I’d love to see more sets like this released.

Sounds like this reviewer enjoyed it a whole lot more than Luke over at Kotaku.

Neoxon

I'm still confused why there are limitations on which characters can be used where when dimensions has no limitations at all.
All Star Wars characters can be used in any Star Wars playset. Likewise, all Marvel characters can be used in the upcoming Marvel Battlegrounds playset.

Especially with so much Aladdin buildings. I'd love a frozen playset. They would make a killing if the sold a playset piece like the first game with multiple worlds. I'd kill for a playset for Aladdin or Frozen playset.

Yeah, some of their choices in terms of who gets a playset is a little odd. I mean, Frozen was out when 1.0 launched, given the popularity of that film a playset was no-brainer. Especially when you consider that the Lone Ranger got a set and that film wasn't nearly as successful commercially or critically...

Stanng243

Yeah, some of their choices in terms of who gets a playset is a little odd. I mean, Frozen was out when 1.0 launched, given the popularity of that film a playset was no-brainer. Especially when you consider that the Lone Ranger got a set and that film wasn't nearly as successful commercially or critically...

The rumor I heard was that someone choose Lone Ranger over Frozen. No Idea why. That seems really stupid, especially given that Frozen has more toys to sell.

Briarios

Just FYI, there are some timed retailer exclusives in the US:

Amazon: Fear (free shipping or $35+)
Best Buy: Mulan (free shipping $35+, or in-store pickup)
GameStop: Zeb (free shipping $25+, or in-store pickup)
Target: Sabine (free shipping $25+)
Toys ‘R’ Us: Ezra (not available online yet)
Walmart: Kanan (Free shipping, or in-store pickup)

From Kotaku:

"Given those obstacles, however, I think 3.0 has done a very good job of making the best of it. Much has been made of the involvement of Ninja Theory (DMC, Heavenly Sword) in the refinement of Twilight of the Republic’s combat, and with good reason, because it really shows: where melee strikes used to lack any sense of grace or weight, lightsaber combat is probably the highlight of the whole experience now, with a ton of cool moves available and a good sense of heft and timing to everything. There are even juggles, if you really want to play this like you’ve played Devil May Cry."

SOLD!( well, guess I already was lol, but this is exactly what I wanted to hear). If the saber combat sucked, I'd have likely skipped the game and just collected a few figures for shits and giggles.

What does the $20 digital version off of PSN get you since I already have the base? Can I just buy Star Wars figures then to play?

You could buy the playsets and characters separately and play them, yes. But there are some great preorder incentives for buying the physical version. Best Buy is offering a $10 reward certificate plus the $20 Toy Box Takeover mode free with preorder.

Let me get this straight I could for instance play as Sabine in the twighlight playset?

Huzzah

I thought I had read that they were loosening character restrictions for 3.0, in the sense that any Star Wars character could play in any Star Wars playset (i.e. not just OT characters for OT playsets), but don't quote me on that.

curb

Banned
I thought I had read that they were loosening character restrictions for 3.0, in the sense that any Star Wars character could play in any Star Wars playset (i.e. not just OT characters for OT playsets), but don't quote me on that.

That is correct. Any Marvel character will be playable within the upcoming Marvel 3.0 playset as well.

That is correct. Any Marvel character will be playable within the upcoming Marvel 3.0 playset as well.

Good to know. Lots of people dislike the crossover restrictions with the DI playsets, but I'm okay with them so long as they open it up in this fashion. There's no reason to restrict a themed playset to a certain subset of characters from that universe.

Top Bottom