• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

Just watched the IGN video review. Super hyped now, this looks like a big improvement over 2.0. I can't wait for Sunday, my 5 year old doesn't know it comes out now, so I'm surprising her with it on Sunday morning, and we're gonna load up on 3.0 figures with Best Buy's Buy 3, Get 1 Free deal starting Sunday.

vongruetz

Banned
Oh I see. Sounds like it could get expensive lol.

If you get every figure and every play set, then yes, it gets pretty expensive. But you don't need all the characters to play the game, and you can have a blast with just a few of them.

They also go on sale regularly (and Black Friday sales seem to be the best). I know some people need to have it immediately, but for the patient ones, you can save a lot of money by waiting for sales.

Oh I see. Sounds like it could get expensive lol.

If you want a 'cheap' entry, download the digital version on your system of choice, pick up a used portal( note, ps3/ps4/wii U/wii portals are all interchangeable, xbox 360 and xbone one are NOT) and just be on the lookout for figure sales which occur often during the year. If you're interested in, say, the Luke/Leia playset it should be available for like half price during the xmas holiday shopping season. That's basically what I'm doing because I'm not that interested in playing the clone wars/ prequel era stuff, so you can customize your experience to what characters interests you. Also not, unlike prior years any character works in any playset, so you can play as Luke during the clone wars or Maul in the OT era if you like.

ramparter

Banned
If you get every figure and every play set, then yes, it gets pretty expensive. But you don't need all the characters to play the game, and you can have a blast with just a few of them.

They also go on sale regularly (and Black Friday sales seem to be the best). I know some people need to have it immediately, but for the patient ones, you can save a lot of money by waiting for sales.

So let's say I just want to be able to play all the stages, campaigns whatever this game consists off. How many figures would I need?

nib95

Banned

If you want a 'cheap' entry, download the digital version on your system of choice, pick up a used portal( note, ps3/ps4/wii U/wii portals are all interchangeable, xbox 360 and xbone one are NOT) and just be on the lookout for figure sales which occur often during the year. If you're interested in, say, the Luke/Leia playset it should be available for like half price during the xmas holiday shopping season. That's basically what I'm doing because I'm not that interested in playing the clone wars/ prequel era stuff, so you can customize your experience to what characters interests you. Also not, unlike prior years any character works in any playset, so you can play as Luke during the clone wars or Maul in the OT era if you like.

I see. I was thinking as a gift for my younger brother in law (which has the side advantage of me being able to play through it too). It's basically between this and PES16 at the moment. Thanks for all the responses though.

Ridley327

The box for all the copies we got in at work proudly announces that all Star Wars figures work across all Star Wars playsets, so they finally addressed that complaint. I doubt it will mean much for the Marvel and Disney/Pixar stuff, but that was a long overdue rectification in any form.

Spaceking

I'm really glad the game is getting good reviews.

Does anyone knows if there are any differences between the Wii U and PS4 versions?

I am promptly picking up this up Sunday morning as I'm in North America and we have a Sunday release for some reason. As both a huge Star Wars and Disney fan, this is probably my most anticipated game this year.

Ridley327

I'm really glad the game is getting good reviews.

Does anyone knows if there are any differences between the Wii U and PS4 versions?

I imagine it's just technical stuff like resolution and framerate. They have to have the same gameplay content by its very nature.

glaurung

Amazon France (same company) shipped my PS4 LE edtion and all characters 2 days ago.
*Glares at the open orders page in Amazon UK. *

Blast! If I encounter the special edition box in a store on my way home, I'm gonna cancel using the phone and just grab it from here.

OneUh8

Can't wait to pick this up Sunday! It will be my first toys to life game I have purchased or played. Of course Star Wars is the driving factor for me getting it. Glad the reviews are positive!

Gorki247

The box for all the copies we got in at work proudly announces that all Star Wars figures work across all Star Wars playsets, so they finally addressed that complaint. I doubt it will mean much for the Marvel and Disney/Pixar stuff, but that was a long overdue rectification in any form.

You will be able to use all the Marvel figures (2.0 & 3.0) in the new Marvel playset.

Ridley327

You will be able to use all the Marvel figures (2.0 & 3.0) in the new Marvel playset.

Oh good, they finally realized how moronic that restriction was in 2.0. I could not believe that you even had to earn tokens to allow for the allowed characters into other playsets; it's the damn Marvel Universe!

VanWinkle

DI 2.0 is honestly one of the worst games I've played in memory. If this really has made substabtial improvements to gameplay, visuals, and polish, I might pick it up.

Hellers

DI 2.0 is honestly one of the worst games I've played in memory. If this really has made substabtial improvements to gameplay, visuals, and polish, I might pick it up.

I love the idea and I love the figures but I agree with this. While I'll happily sit down and push out some Skylanders levels I couldn't bring myself to play 2.0. It was pretty bad. I've got the special edition of 3.0 ordered so I'm hoping it's much better

Mind you it's Lego Dimensions that's going to bankrupt me.

Effect

The frame rate on the first game for Wii U was garbage and the reason I didn't bother with 2.0 was because I heard it was just as bad. So I'm looking forward to finding out what the frame rate for the Wii U version is like this time around. Third times the charm or will this be three strikes and you're out situation.

curb

Banned
I'm glad to see the gameplay is improved and that the saber combat is good. I was going to buy this anyway because I love the figures and I'm always there for anything Ahsoka Tano related. Now if only Canada Post shipped on weekends and I didn't have to wait until Monday to get my Saga bundle starter pack.

I'm looking forward to getting that adorable little Hulkbuster in a few months.

TEJ

Never played a disney infinity game before, will figures from previous di games work on it cause' I totally want to get aladdin jasmine and groot if so.

Stanng243

Never played a disney infinity game before, will figures from previous di games work on it cause' I totally want to get aladdin jasmine and groot if so.

They will work in the toybox, and toybox games. Groot worked in the Guardians of the Galaxy playset, but that only works in 2.0.

Ouch, the Xbox One digital version is £23.99 in the UK. I hope it is cheaper in US and here (Brazil) when it launches 30th Aug (I got my PS4 CE but also want to play it on my Xbox One).

curb

Banned
There will be more marvel characters (at least more 5 if I remember well). They are not just announced yet. Plus the new Marvel playset is a 4 players Power Stone clone.

There's some debate as to whether it's 4, 5 or 6 more Marvel figures. Sounds like Scarlet Witch is very likely and we know there's an Ant-Man coming.

Im waiting for 4.0 that has actually good Star Wars characters and not this Episode I-III bullshit.

It comes with the playset that uses the Clone Wars animated characters because that's the universe their audience is most familiar with. There is also a playset that cover the original trilogy (IV-VI).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I don't really understand these games but I'm interested. So basically playsets are like mini-campaigns with story and everything and extra characters you buy are just used in the toybox mode or sometimes in the campaigns as alternate characters you can play?

I see. I was thinking as a gift for my younger brother in law (which has the side advantage of me being able to play through it too). It's basically between this and PES16 at the moment. Thanks for all the responses though.

How soon do you need the gift? Holiday shopping season kicks in as soon as November 1st.

nakedeyes

Banned
Im waiting for 4.0 that has actually good Star Wars characters and not this Episode I-III bullshit.

Original trilogy characters and play set for 3.0 are announced ( And I think available on Sony platforms immediately in that bundle ).. There is also potential for more SW figures than what is announced!

curb

Banned
Original trilogy characters and play set for 3.0 are announced ( And I think available on Sony platforms immediately in that bundle ).. There is also potential for more SW figures than what is announced!

There's definitely going to be more prequel era, original trilogy and Force Awakens coming. Probably at least six more figures.

curb

Banned
I have question:

How are the separate movies being sold? As separate DLC?

So when the Original Trilogy set releases next month, will it be priced at DLC or as a full price game?

As physical "play sets". It will have two figures and the game piece that go on the base, unlocking the OT game.

638714a4769f66720b9623bd0403e553.jpg

Edit: also $35 USD I think.

So basically playsets are like mini-campaigns with story and everything and extra characters you buy are just used in the toybox mode or sometimes in the campaigns as alternate characters you can play?

Yes, the playsets are pretty much story mode. The individual characters can be used in the toybox mode, as well as open assets for world-building in that mode. And, for the first time in the series, any character can be played in any playset, so you can have the original characters in the PT era sets, and vice versa.

I am so hyped for this and I never envisioned myself getting into the physical, collectable figurine-using game but here I am, can't freaking wait for my big Boba Fett bundle to come in the mail.

GameInformer http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...ion4/archive/2015/08/28/a-return-to-form.aspx

Welcome to the beginning of the end. I said the same thing when Skylanders came out. My kids have so many of those figures. Then I said it again with the Amiibos, again I have them everywhere. Now I'm getting into Infinity

So Disney brought their A-game this time. Good on them.

They had to, Star Wars is as big as they come and if it under-performed, I think that would place 4.0 in jeopardy. I'm wondering what they would even follow Star Wars with? Indiana Jones? I can't think of any other IP under their umbrella big enough to base a game around.

There is also potential for more SW figures than what is announced!

Given the popularity of the series, there's a ton of characters they can cash in on. Just off the top of my head, I'm expecting:

Emperor( no brainer and amazed he's not part of the first character batch)
'Ben' Kenobi
Mace Windu
C-3PO/R2D2
Dooku
Padme
Jedi Luke

less likely but possible: Jar Jar, Kit Fisto, Lando, Wicket

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sounds awesome.

Seems like they really improved the gameplay and the toy box structure.

My body is Reggie.

It comes out on Sunday in NA, doesn't it? Maybe today in Europe.

Still waiting on our review copy, but hoping it'll arrive today. I really enjoyed the first Disney Infinity, but 2.0 was really boring and disappointing. What I played of this at E3 was really solid, though, and...well...Star Wars > superheroes.

Thankfully the gameplay isn't just walking from one part of NY to another and beating up enemies. That was 2.0's main objective.

curb

Banned
Emperor( no brainer and amazed he's not part of the first character batch)
'Ben' Kenobi
Mace Windu
C-3PO/R2D2
Dooku
Padme

I don't think there'll be a "Ben" or R2/3PO. If anything, they'll do a power disc to change Clone Wars Kenobi's appearance and I don't think the droids have any combat potential. Well, at least not C-3PO. R2 does have that teddy bear zapper.

Top Bottom