• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

It sounds a little bit pedantic but I do think the fact you couldn't use the character in any mode was a huge turn off for a lot of people. The compatability issues and stuff certainly turned me off, like, the crossover element was what attracted me to it in the first place but once I found out you were mainly limited to the Toybox mode or whatever, I didn't bother. Plus it looked heavily kids based, so if you wanted something more substantial (in a Disney game albeit) then this wasn't it.

The figures are cute though, i thinkt the style is cute on some characters...others not as much.

As everyone else has said, I didn't see it coming right now, since every time I go into a toy store it seemed like the Infintiy section was getting bigger and bigger.

Vibranium

Banned
It's sad because I think Disney could have had a great console/PC gaming division if they had put effort into it alongside mobile. Too expensive for them I suppose.

Trup1aya

Didn't Disney shelve a bunch of promising looking titles so that they could go all in on Disney Infinity?

Hasnt the toys-to-life concept always been an obvious bubble?

What a waste. I hope the licensing approach doesn't end up taking us back to THQ levels of licensed shittiness...

I feel like No one will ever be able to handle Disney IPs like Disney can. They need a video game equivalent to Marvels movie studio.

I wonder what this will mean for their licenses for old lucasarts, marvel, and disney games. I'd love to keep the catalogue releases coming. I had a grand old time playing Shadows of the Empire from GOG. As for Disney Infinity, they should probably just license it out to another publisher, no?

I wish they'd opened it up for another studio to liscence. At the very least they coulda done figure-less DLC of the characters they'd been working on.

I really hope this doesn't end the back catalog. Presumably there will still be some sort of in-house oversight committee set up to oversee licenses. The team working on backlog releases could be consolidated into that or Disney could just hire out. I'm assuming Double Fine's remakes and the possible Wayforward remake are safe as Disney isn't doing any development themselves.

mreddie

Didn't Disney shelve a bunch of promising looking titles so that they could go all in on Disney Infinity?

Isn't the toys-to-life concept an obvious bubble?

What a waste. I hope the licensing approach doesn't end up taking us back to THQ levels of licensed shittiness...

I think all the licenced games were axed in favor for Infinity.

botty

Banned
You don't say?

52ueeCX.gif

edit: For those worried about kingdom hearts--- don't be! That series is actually profitable.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That laugh will be a frown soon enough, the toy to life market is getting saturated.

Amiibo approach is very different and costs have much more to do with disney decision than infinity toys sales

You can look at the 1,8 billion mark in nintendo latest earning reports to see how they can be profitable without needing a 300+ team developed game to support them specifically

Damn. I was under the impression it was doing well. Wonder what led them to this decision. Someone tell me Johnny V is okay.

There's still four figures coming and an update with them. Unless it's all done I assume at least some part of Avalanche is being kept on to see it through, possibly including Johnny V and Blackburn.

Maybe they should've gone for a more realistic style instead of a cartoony representation of their Marvel/Star Wars characters. Amiibos appeal to all ages because kids like Pokemon/Mario and adults like Fire Emblem/Metroid/etc.

Eolz

Terrible news and a bit hard to understand.
Best of luck to all those devs, hope they were aware since some time, but I doubt it :/

I specifically remember some really impressive looking Star Wars and Indiana Jones game demos that never saw the light of day.
I'm assuming the SW game is 1313 which got axed because of Lucasarts closing. Unless I'm mistaken the Indy game only released on Wii for reasons I don't think were ever disclosed publicly.

Shizuka

Amiibo approach is very different and costs have much more to do with disney decision than infinity toys sales

You can look at the 1,8 billion mark in nintendo latest earning reports to see how they can be profitable without needing a 300+ team developed game to support them specifically

But you need something to make use of them, or else they're just collectibles.

He is dead, don't go there

This honestly applies to the quoted person as well.

That said, the thing about amiibo is, as stated earlier, they did not get that much of game development budget, usually unlocking some random stuff that either took mostly a little programming and thus was honestly quite cheap, or was basically a skin and thus was honestly quite cheap. This is incomparably comfortable compared to how Disney Infinity worked, and still quite better than remaining competitors.

I never even touched Disney Infinity but man, fuck Disney. They've shown over and over and over that they have no understanding whatsoever of the videogame industry, they just continually jump back and forth between investing in it and not. And while I'm glad they made more jobs and injected more money into the industry, I think the instability they bring with them has ultimately made them a detriment to it.

So how long until Sony hires Johnny V? I can't imagine Boyes isn't going to try and grow his wacky crew.

That laugh will be a frown soon enough, the toy to life market is getting saturated.

It's the opposite?

One of the four has dropped out and considering how Lego Dimensions figures have been half off most weeks I don't see them lasting long especially with outside IP's like Doctor Who, The Simpsons and Portal they have to split with.

Activision also noted Skylanders is down.

I could see Amiibo being the only Toys to Life still active in 2-3 years.

It's basically in the same situation music/instrument games were in years ago and arguably still in. Collecting all that junk eventually affects buyer.

KingBroly

Banned

Because Nintendo stifles a lot of merchandising opportunities in the west, a lot of people do collect amiibo simply because they're Nintendo merchandise. You can't even buy official soundtracks on itunes aside from Pokemon.

Elandyll

Banned
Whelp, glad I saw this thread.
I was delaying completing the Star Wars sets/ figurines for my collection the kid's collection and play time, but I ordered the second I saw this.

TreIII

Let me ask you this, GAF. Would you be okay with MvC4 with zero X-Men or Fantastic Four characters? Because that's what we'd get if the license gets renewed in the near future.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd live.

Worst case scenario, a MvC4 would probably be fine with just Wolverine, Magneto, Deadpool and possibly Dr. Doom from the "Fox" side. Because there's no way a new game is being made without at least the first three in it.

It's the opposite?

One of the four has dropped out and considering how Lego Dimensions figures have been half off most weeks I don't see them lasting long especially with outside IP's like Doctor Who, The Simpsons and Portal they have to split with.

Here's the thing though, is amiibo really a Toys To Life franchise? How do you define that?

doesnt surprise me one bit outside of the holiday season these things basically warm shelves disney over shipped there figures by alot especially since i can still find figures from the first game on shelves.

I was never interested in the games but the figures are really nice, I own a couple (Nick Wilde and Rocket Raccoon). I would have gotten a lot more but I really don't like the art style they went with. Animated characters look good for the most part but the live action/human ones look rather crap IMO. I would have loved to buy Jack Sparrow and a bunch of Star Wars figures but they're all ugly/bland.

I am sorry to see them end though, I was holding out hope for more Disney classic characters. Lion King, 101 Dalmatians, Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective and the like.

More shocked then surprised at the news. I had a feeling Infinity was not a worthwhile investment for Disney at this point, but I also figured it was more of a forward thinking strategy. I'm shocked tehy didn't do more with the Star Wars side of it, but I totally get that Battlefront way outsold any Infinity figurine that Disney could release, and Disney is not taking on the inherent risk of development. Licensing has always been a more risk adverse strategy and Disney is nothing if not risk adverse.

Bumhead

Banned
I was going to buy this game today for me and the other half to play. Posted in the OT earlier today with a list of questions, then was stood looking at the figures and starter pack in a store for about 20 minutes.

I guess I still could buy what's out and totally still have fun with it, but this is disappointing and does cast a doubt. What a shame.

Trup1aya

I'm assuming the SW game is 1313 which got axed because of Lucasarts closing. Unless I'm mistaken the Indy game only released on Wii for reasons I don't think were ever disclosed publicly.

Hmm I'm not sure why I'm attributing the closure of Lucas Arts to Disney's focus on Disney infinity...

I guess it all happened around the same time? For some reason I remember reading that they were closing that studio to put all of their gaming might behind Disney Infinity...

SpotAnime

Did anybody getting into buying the Power Pack blind disc packs from the first two series?

I got over 70 over packs across series.

Yeah, we spent a small fortune trying to get the rare discs from 1.0. I eventually learned the trick to find the lenticular discs in the blind packs so I completed that set, but didn't buy any other packs aside from the Tomorrowland (love that movie) and TFA ones.

If anyone is interested, the figures are on sale at Best Buy right now for 9.99 (7.99 GCU), and 8.99 at TRU. CAG has the BB and Target flyers for the next two weeks and no Infinity deals aside from free Battlegrounds if you buy the 3.0 starter pack.

It's the opposite?

I don't think amiibo are like Skylander or Infinite. Amiibo are like collectibles/toys with an "extra".

jett

D-Member
I had forgotten Disney Interactive in general hasn't had a hot track record.

Disney Interactive Studios has lost more than $200 million per year from 2008-2012[24] during a period in which it shut down Propaganda Games,[25] Black Rock Studio[26] and Junction Point Studios[27] and its co-president John Pleasants stepped down in November 2013 after the launch of Disney Infinity.[24]

On March 6, 2014, 700 employees were laid off.

Sucks for the people affected.

Ridley327

As stupid as it sounds, that's a big reason why Amiibo has done so well.

Think of it this way: if I'm a Toy Story fan, there are so many options I have available to buy a Woody that it staggers the mind. There are hundreds of options out there, both current and classic, and it stands to reason that no one may ever own every single Woody figure that has been made. Disney Infinity doesn't have a great buy-in for diehard fans, and kids are probably more content with getting whatever is down the toy aisle. There's no USP in Yet Another Woody Figure.

If I'm a Captain Falcon fan, where could I have gone prior to Amiibo?

Yeah, we spent a small fortune trying to get the rare discs from 1.0. I eventually learned the trick to find the lenticular discs in the blind packs so I completed that set, but didn't buy any other packs aside from the Tomorrowland (love that movie) and TFA ones.

From all three 1.0 series?

Series 3 seems the hardest to find while series 2 seems overproduced.

The again I only got into Infinity since last August.

Remember the Toysrus 10 exclusive discs?

As stupid as it sounds, that's a big reason why Amiibo has done so well.

Think of it this way: if I'm a Toy Story fan, there are so many options I have available to buy a Woody that it staggers the mind. There are hundreds of options out there, both current and classic, and it stands to reason that no one may ever own every single Woody figure that has been made. Disney Infinity doesn't have a great buy-in for diehard fans, and kids are probably more content with getting whatever is down the toy aisle. There's no USP in Yet Another Woody Figure.

If I'm a Captain Falcon fan, where could I have gone prior to Amiibo?

Yup. It's the only way to get merchandise for several franchises or just affordable non-Japanese-only figures.

There's a demand. See several World of Nintendo figures having high demand.

Top Bottom