• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

OVDRobo

On the bright side, the chances of Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 just jumped about 0.2%, maybe.

Extremely unfortunate for everyone involved though. Hopefully everyone affected lands on their feet.

HardRojo

Out of nowhere. Time to buy the figures I was interested in I guess. Hopefully the members of the studio land on their feet.

The fact is that the game wasn't especially good with 3.0 really being the first one worth playing... And even that suffered from having those game expansions that should have been included in the main game. Toybox takeover was the first mode where you could actually play as all of your figures together. And that was 20 bucks on top of the starter pack which featured probably the least popular star wars franchise imaginable. Their reliance on fan created content and a bizarre segregation of themes and franchises is what doomed DI. Design choices killed the franchise, not that it was a toys to life game.

jetsetrez

I'm not at all surprised. You never see any of the toys to life games on the sales charts, and there are so much of it that they're probably eating each other alive with unsold physical product. Sad to hear of the loss of jobs, though I'll be honest, I was worried it was the Just Cause Avalanche and am glad it's not.

If Disney Infinity has failed I can only imagine how Lego Dimensions is doing
Lego Dimensions is pretty expensive from the starter pack to the playsets. And the IPs WB is using isn't Star Wars nor Marvel. Not sure how well it's doing, but would be pretty surprising if it did comparable to Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars edition

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Tron discs were the hardest to find and now are worth 30 bucks.

I have all of 1.0 and 2.0's discs plus albums for each. I'm thinking I'll probably list the whole kit and kaboodle on eBay tonight.

Is there a price/value guide for the Power Discs?

If Disney is licensing out their IP now that means some dope Marvel games could go into production. Disney won't have to foot the bill to get the games made.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 or some other bomb ass shit PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FUCKING PLEEEAAASEE.

Also, condolences to those affected. For what it's worth, the games were pretty fun. Marvel Battlegrounds is the best in my eyes.

Which is sad because I think LEGO Dimensions handles the toys to life model way better than Disney Infinity does.

It seems like they just released it at a bad time as it looks like the toys to life model has started to hit its ceiling

t's been a rough stretch for the toys-to-life genre. Skylanders and Disney Infinity both posted disappointing sales last holiday season, which no doubt contributed to Activision Blizzard's decision to lay off some associated developers and Disney's decision to forego a new iteration in the previously annualized Infinity series.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-20-toys-to-lifes-problem-isnt-saturation-its-fatigue

It's kind of like with the plastic music genre where some started to get in rather late when everything started dying down. You have to be there early if you want to get in on the fun.

Ridley327

Yup. It's the only way to get merchandise for several franchises or just affordable non-Japanese-only figures.

There's a demand. See several World of Nintendo figures having high demand.

I think that's why the upcoming Skylanders cartoon is likely to wind up as a case of too little, too late. Activision managed to get a lot of kids whipped up over the idea of using their toys to play games, and that worked incredibly well for a couple of years. Now, a lot of those kids are getting older and are beginning to realize that they don't know who the fuck any of those characters are, and I don't think a cartoon at this point is going to change that. Maybe they'll get lucky with the next batch of kids, but I don't see it helping to change the course the series is on.

If Disney Infinity has failed I can only imagine how Lego Dimensions is doing

I'm not sure. After the holidays a lot of the extra figures people had bought got returned as they didn't enjoy the game, and unlike Infinity and Skylanders (at least where I work) the base price of the minifigures went DOWN permanently in addition to constantly being on sale. On the other hand, unlike Infinity and Skylanders, we've had actual sell outs of certain sets. I think some of that is due to Lego being stocked less, however.

Dimension's final sets came out this morning. If they announce more I suppose it's doing well enough to continue.

MrGerbils

Man this really bums me out. The Disney Infinity games have been excellent, each better than the last. I had really high hopes for whatever would come next given how good 3.0 was.

I kinda wish they'd just drop the toys to life aspect of it and just make the games, more like the Toy Story game that lead to the creation of Infinity. I absolutely hate collectibles and having to buy each character.

It kinda seems like there's not much space in the market for family friendly AAA titles. There's the lego series and skylanders and not much else..

MrMephistoX

I was going to buy this game today for me and the other half to play. Posted in the OT earlier today with a list of questions, then was stood looking at the figures and starter pack in a store for about 20 minutes.

I guess I still could buy what's out and totally still have fun with it, but this is disappointing and does cast a doubt. What a shame.

Its worth getting for the Star Wars playsets although now I'm expecting massive firesales so it's probably okay to wait.

Ushay

Odd, always thought it was printing money.

Shame its ending. Though sticking to a licensing model is smart, EA will be happy.

Just give us KOTOR remake/sequel already.

Ridley327

The inability to play previous characters in anything other than the toy box killed that franchise.

For all the improvements they've made with each iteration, that they've never abolished this restriction outright sticks out as being completely tone deaf. The fact that not every Marvel character could play together in the play sets in 2.0 is nothing short of monumental incompetence. It got relaxed for 3.0, but you still had a ton of characters that did nothing besides Toy Box-related activities for no good reason at all.

Zalman

I'm pretty sad about this. I loved their figures and a lot of my favorite characters never managed to get one. Such a shame.

Neoxon

On the bright side, the chances of Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 just jumped about 0.2%, maybe.

Extremely unfortunate for everyone involved though. Hopefully everyone affected lands on their feet.
Trust me, you don't want MvC4 right now.

For all the improvements they've made with each iteration, that they've never abolished this restriction outright sticks out as being completely tone deaf. The fact that not every Marvel character could play together in the play sets in 2.0 is nothing short of monumental incompetence. It got relaxed for 3.0, but you still had a ton of characters that did nothing besides Toy Box-related activities for no good reason at all.

My understanding is that this is for a couple of reasons:

- Making sure every character can play in every playset would be a nightmare, even ignoring the Cars characters. Not all characters have super jumps, some can fly, some have woeful combat abilities, while others can destroy anything.
- Checking hundreds of characters in every playset would be a QA nightmare and would hamper a yearly release scheduale.
- Disney is REALLY particular about how certain characters are used. If you notice the marketing, the characters from the different themes are almost never interacting with each other, even in gameplay. Marketing doesn't want to 'dilute' or 'confuse' the consumer, even if what they enforce winds up doing it anyways. This goes beyond Infinity too, pay attention to the Disney Princess toys and you'll notice the characters are never allowed to interact with or even look at one another.

SpotAnime

Good point better get Black Panther, Ant Man and Vision before it's too late and sealed Tron figures.

Yep. And to quote myself from the previous page, to help those who want to fill their collection before it's too late:

If anyone is interested, the figures are on sale at Best Buy right now for 9.99 (7.99 GCU), and 8.99 at TRU. CAG has the BB and Target flyers for the next two weeks and no Infinity deals aside from free Battlegrounds if you buy the 3.0 starter pack.

I'm thinking they won't be producing any additional runs for the figures currently on shelves, and the last two sets for Alice and Finding Dory will be somewhat limited.

Wasn't this supposed to get Kingdom Hearts content eventually? Bloody sucks in any case.

The way the talked about it, it seemed 'eventually' was a long way off. The plan seemed to be to maybe release a Sora the year following KH3 so as to not distract from it. Kim Possible, Gravity Falls, Ariel, Rogue One, Scarlet Witch, and Darkwing Duck are the oft-rumoured figures we'll now likely never see. I assume we'll also never see the Peter Pan figure that was supposed to be out this August, but I hope they find a way to get him out for the fans.

Neoxon

Poona

Can't believe this. I'm assuming they're still releasing the Alice and Finding Dory figures?

Real bummer. Thought more Star Wars was on the horizon and hoping Goofy would get released. :(

Top Bottom