• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

Sesha

Would you be okay with the removal of...
  • Wolverine
  • Deadpool
  • Storm
  • Magneto
  • Sentinel
  • X-23
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix
  • Doctor Doom
  • & Super-Skrull?
I would, because I care more about the gameplay & having Marvel characters at all. But I'm pretty sure this is a sacrifice that most of the FGC wouldn't be okay with.

Yes.

We'd get guys like Black Panther, Ultron, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, etc., instead, which I'm super okay with. Outside of Deadpool, Doom, SSkrull and maybe Sentinel I wouldn't miss those guys much. X-23 and Skrull would likely have gotten removed anyway.

But this is for another thread.

rhandino

Banned
  • Wolverine
  • Deadpool
  • Storm
  • Magneto
  • Sentinel
  • X-23
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix
  • Doctor Doom
  • & Super-Skrull?
I would, because I care more about the gameplay & having Marvel characters at all. But I'm pretty sure this is a sacrifice that most of the FGC wouldn't be okay with.
Caring about the gameplay would also mean that it would be way more exciting to have completely new characters with new movesets in the game.

Its not like a lot of kids and young adults will miss Wolverine if the other options are Ant-man or Black Panther playable.

LordRaptor

I agree with you in that I would be completely okay with such a sacrifice for another Mahvel game. But given how the FGC is so attached to the X-Men characters, you can understand why I'd be concerned that they may get pissed at Marvel's recent ban if MvC4 were to happen in the near future.

A lot of that is for historical reasons as COTA was the first mahvel fighter, but its not like other fighters haven't had mostly clean sweep rosters before.

The Marvel side of things in MvC3 were mostly 'faces' Marvel were trying to push for the MU / MCU rather than fan favourites, so I don't think that would change too much for a hypothetical future version

If any of you need a producer. Holla at your boy

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey folks,

If you know anyone impacted on the Disney Infinity team at Avalanche, please fwd this tweet to them and let them know they can contact us direct at sms@playstation.sony.com

We're hiring and would like to help the many great creatives over there find a new home, potentially here

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/730167700396249088

Our openings:
http://sms.playstation.com/careers/

Cheers
Tank

Neoxon

Yes.

We'd get guys like Black Panther, Ultron, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, etc., instead, which I'm super okay with. Outside of Deadpool, Doom, SSkrull and maybe Sentinel I wouldn't miss those guys much.

But this is for another thread.
You might want to specify on which Ms. Marvel you mean...

Carol Danvers (formerly Ms. Marvel, now Captain Marvel)?
latest
3498579-capmarv2014001cov-7ff9e.jpg

or Kamala Khan (the current Ms. Marvel)?

• Wolverine
  • Deadpool
  • Storm
  • Magneto
  • Sentinel
  • X-23
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix
  • Doctor Doom
  • & Super-Skrull?

Why would they remove any of these characters? Fox only owns the movie rights to them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is surprising. I enjoyed the games for what they were, and the figures always looked great. Good luck to all of the employees affected by this. I know what that's like. Working in the industry is brutal sometimes. I've been in and out for 10+ years now. Currently in, but lord knows how long that lasts.

Looks like I'm going to have to stop holding off on picking up some of the Marvel figures I've been looking at. I have the vast majority of them, but not all. I have all of the Star Wars characters, but there's no way I'm completing the Disney proper collection. Too many characters, not enough money. I'm sticking to ones I really want/fans of, and that'll be it. Such a shame.

Star Wars showed a lot of potential for growth in gameplay for future titles, as it was genuinely fun. I wished it was more like the LEGO games, but overall, it was good times. Definitely geared towards a younger audience.

Neoxon

Why would they remove any of these characters? Fox only owns the movie rights to them.
Because after the release of Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice copy-cat made by Kablam), Marvel Entertainment issued a video game ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters for any new games made after Contest of Champions in an attempt to screw over Fox & minimize exposure for both franchises. Remasters & ports of older games are safe (see the Deadpool remaster), as are games with active contracts signed before the ban (see Marvel Heroes, which is safe until 2019). Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in particular are only allowed by Marvel on a case-by-case basis (see Lego Avengers), but the game cannot mention either of their ties to the X-Men franchise.

• Wolverine
  • Deadpool
  • Storm
  • Magneto
  • Sentinel
  • X-23
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix
  • Doctor Doom
  • & Super-Skrull?

Eh, there are levels of survival I'm willing to accept for more Marvel.

Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Groot, Drax, Gamora, Thanos, Sentry, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, Proxima Midnight, Namor, Corpus Glaive, Ronan the Accuser, Quasar, Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Black Bolt, Zemo, Bullseye, Beta Ray Bill, Red Hulk, Squirrel Girl, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and more could easily replace the Xmen.

Wow, I was under the impression that these games made money hand-over-fist. Did Infinity 1 and 2 do good? Is this their first game that they took a loss on? I guess taking a loss on a toys-to-life game must be even more disastrous than a normal game bombing, because of the extra merchandise and manufacturing involved.

Neoxon

Mahvel without Wolverine, Doom, Storm, Mags, etc is unthinkable but I'm sure we'd get over it once the game is out.
Marvel & Fox would have to settle their differences before that happens, which I'm not sure will happen in the near future. That is, unless they work out a deal to where the Fantastic Four movie rights return to Marvel Studios.

• Wolverine
  • Deadpool
  • Storm
  • Magneto
  • Sentinel
  • X-23
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix
  • Doctor Doom
  • & Super-Skrull?

Wolverine would be the only character it'd be weird not seeing in a MvC game, considering his perfect attendance record for Marvel/Capcom fighters. Every other character on that list was either new to 3 or sat out multiple Vs. games already. Hell, it'd be the second time Doom had to sit out a Vs. game because of some stuff involving the FF ip.

Because after the release of Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice copy-cat made by Kablam), Marvel Entertainment issued a video game ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters for any new games made after Contest of Champions in an attempt to screw over Fox & minimize exposure for both franchises. Remasters & ports of older games are safe (see the Deadpool remaster), as are games with active contracts signed before the ban (see Marvel Heroes, which is safe until 2019). Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in particular are only allowed by Marvel on a case-by-case basis (see Lego Avengers), but the game cannot mention either of their ties to the X-Men franchise.

That's immensely shitty.

Still, it's only a self imposed ban. There's nothing legally preventing them from using those characters.

Neoxon

That's immensely shitty.

Still, it's only a self imposed ban. There's nothing legally preventing them from using those characters.
Nope, it's fully enforced by Marvel & Disney during the licensing process. The X-Men & Fantastic Four characters are explicitly left out of licenses for games, & devs have to legit fight for the Maximoff Twins.

TechJunk

How will this affect Nintendo's Amiibo strategy?

I wonder if Amiibo will be a part of NX or if they're doing just as poorly more recently... seems to me around Christmas, Disney was reporting Disney Infinity was bringing in the cash, although I could be mistaken

PSqueak

Banned
  • Wolverine
  • Deadpool
  • Storm
  • Magneto
  • Sentinel
  • X-23
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix
  • Doctor Doom
  • & Super-Skrull?

For what is worth, i think Super Skrull would be safe, wasn't he included precisely because there was a ban on F4 characters, but Super Skrull was allowed due to a technicallity?

woopWOOP

Huh. This seems all very sudden.

Were there any future packs/figurines that will never* come out now?

*aside from a few prototypes straight from the factory or something I guess

How will this affect Nintendo's Amiibo strategy?

I wonder if Amiibo will be a part of NX or if they're doing just as poorly more recently... seems to me around Christmas, Disney was reporting Disney Infinity was bringing in the cash, although I could be mistaken

As much as people flake Nintendo for essentially making "physical DLC", how they're proceeded into the toys-to-life essentially helps future proof Amiibo sales for at least a few more years. It's not tied down to one game where people choose to buy figures and buy nothing else. The fact that it's a viable merchandise collection in of itself also helps it. Nintendo merch like that is HARD to find for certain characters. You want a Captain Falcon? It's Amiibo. You want Chibi Robo? Amiibo? What's that you want a cheap, yet functional Ryu or Bayonetta figure?

Amiibo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Demo space is needed. Most DI displays I've seen at retail dedicate at least one section to just the big monitor that runs the sizzle reel, and the rest to the figures.

VR demos are going to be a disaster unless retail stores get an employee to watch the station at all times. I just don't see it happening.

Back on topic, I had to get my Judy Hopps and Nick from Zootopia figures tonight.

PSqueak

Banned
Huh. This seems all very sudden.

Were there any future packs/figurines that will never* come out now?

*aside from a few prototypes straight from the factory or something I guess

I second this question, anybody in the know can tell us if there were upcoming packs?

Trojan

This is surprising and sad to see such a big name and franchise just leave the industry. Development costs for AAA games have to be better controlled, projects need to be more tightly managed, and there needs to be a better pipeline for 3rd party middleware. If nothing changes, we're going to have a complete dearth of AAA in a matter of years.

Neoxon

For what is worth, i think Super Skrull would be safe, wasn't he included precisely because there was a ban on F4 characters, but Super Skrull was allowed due to a technicallity?
He was included to save time. Instead of having to make each of the Fantastic Four, they could make one character with all of their powers. But sadly, Super-Skrull also counts in the ban.

Sesha

You might want to specify on which Ms. Marvel you mean...

Carol Danvers (formerly Ms. Marvel, now Captain Marvel)?

or Kamala Khan (the current Ms. Marvel)?

The current one.

But anyway, I don't want to talk about this here. I don't want to derail this thread further talking about Mahvel 4, as much as I like doing that.

TechJunk

As much as people flake Nintendo for essentially making "physical DLC", how they're proceeded into the toys-to-life essentially helps future proof Amiibo sales for at least a few more years. It's not tied down to one game where people choose to buy figures and buy nothing else. The fact that it's a viable merchandise collection in of itself also helps it. Nintendo merch like that is HARD to find for certain characters. You want a Captain Falcon? It's Amiibo. You want Chibi Robo? Amiibo? What's that you want a cheap, yet functional Ryu or Bayonetta figure?

Amiibo.

Ya you're right actually, their strategy is a little different than Disney Infinity or even Lego Dimensions. Rather than have the figures only playable in one game (or one game series), they are playable across most of their games.

Sad news, I'm guessing the servers with all the downloadable levels will soon go too, my kids enjoyed that part most.

I'm sad to see it go, but as a prospective customer as well as a TTL enthusiast, I just didn't think the game lived up to all the potential. I mean, the first reveal concept art.

Art-of-Disney-Infinity-by-Sam-Nielson-6.jpg

That looks sweet. But some characters can't play in some modes? It seemed to me to be not what it was hyped up to be. That doesn't make it a bad game of course, but there's something different with it compared to Skylanders or Dimensions which is more...I guess maybe story focused. Amiibo has the collectability thing going on and we'll probably see a full fledged game for all of them in the near future.

I wonder what this means for Playmation (which I don't think sold well at all either) and what this means for the TTL market overall. Slow Skylanders sales from this last game has me worried too. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen, maybe some fatigue.

The figures are all really awesome. I have Stitch and plan on getting some Marvel peeps when we see some sales going on.

I hope all the devs and people who worked on the game find some other employment. Especially the designers; their ideas rocked.

Top Bottom