• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

sonto340

What does her name have to do with the rest of her dialogue being super French? Her name being French doesn't make the rest of her dialogue French-ier. Her dialogue actually being super French would do that.
She calls her self a fashionista and says oui rather frequently. Perhaps super French is an overstatement, but if you'd really interpret her saying le as a dumb internet meme as opposed to them throwing light French trappings in an obviously French inspired stereotype for a character then you're just trying to be upset about something. There's some legitimately dumb writing in this game to be upset about, but a French inspired character saying le instead of the is not one of them.

pastrami

Come on. A story about rescuing a kingdom's fashion from a French haute-couture witch needs to read like Hemingway now?

I mean, having a silly story isn't really an excuse to use bad writing. There are plenty of silly or funny stories in all mediums that don't rely on cheap bits for laughs. Generally the ones that do rely on that sort of comedy are thought of as, well, cheap.

I was actually thinking about this when playing Triforce Heroes and Tales of Zestiria as well.

Even though it's not something I like, I kind of decided that I shouldn't make "the Internet" and Internet jargon into some exclusive, untouchable thing that nobody should be able to reference. I mean, it's true that in all types of media today, we try to avoid even the oldest and most common "Internet" phrases such as "lol" and smilies. In that way, maybe the writers of these games are rather forward thinking, by accepting the fact that we do say these things in real life.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the timelessness of these "Internet" memes and phrases. Ten years from now, will we be saying the same things? Will it make sense when I play the games 20 years from now?

Now don't get me wrong, a piece of media can choose to not write with timelessness in mind. TV shows, movies, games, etc. are sometimes are written with current events in mind. However, Zelda and Tales usually aren't, so it is my worry about the whole thing.

I should note that in Zelda's case, the story is already nonsensical, so the whole "timelessness" worry is minimized. The developers of the game clearly had a bit of fun making the game, taking creative liberties, and NoA's Treehouse is doing the same.

I fail to see any issue in either the dudebro or especially the Adorbs examples. Those aren't exactly nascent pieces of slang. They've been colloquialisms for a good while now. The le on cosplaying I'm a bit iffy on. Doge memes are pretty much indefensible however.

She calls her self a fashionista and says oui rather frequently. Perhaps super French is an overstatement, but if you'd really interpret her saying le as a dumb internet meme as opposed to them throwing light French trappings in an obviously French inspired stereotype for a character then you're just trying to be upset about something. There's some legitimately dumb writing in this game to be upset about, but a French inspired character saying le instead of the is not one of them.
If you had read the thread, I had already pointed out that she is a French fashion archetype. I am only arguing that she is a shitty French archetype because they do the barest minimum with her.

Which I suppose isn't that surprising, "bear minimum" is a pretty apt description of the game as a whole

Tadaima

For those moaning about the UK getting its own locatisation, why shouldn't it? UK English and US English are different enough and the markets are large enough to justify a couple-of-months'-worth of wages for a couple of extra people – if even that. It always makes the end user feel removed from an experience when something is obnoxiously foreign/out-of-place to them.

Stolen from the Uncharted 'meme' generator thread but it's just as applicable here:

result.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I mean, having a silly story isn't really an excuse to use bad writing. There are plenty of silly or funny stories in all mediums that don't rely on cheap bits for laughs. Generally the ones that do rely on that sort of comedy are thought of as, well, cheap.

But the examples people outside of the doge meme aren't really "cheap bits" for laughs as they are actual (stereotypical) lines. I mean seriously, adorbs is a meme?

If you had read the thread, I had already pointed out that she is a French fashion archetype. I am only arguing that she is a shitty French archetype because they do the barest minimum with her.

I feel like she needs to be voiced to get it right. You see the stereotype not even mention a lot of french words other than le and ze but can be easily seen due to how they speak.

The game is a light hearted Zelda spin off, it's fine by me. The whole game comes off as tongue in cheek, if this appeared in a mainline title I'd probably have an issue with it though.

Most of the games that stuff like this appears in isn't too serious in tone anyway.

TheMoon

Eh, it's been like a decade since I played the game. With that said, that does explain why I couldn't find any images with "ze"

smrpg063.png

"ze" and "za" are both interchangeable ways to present the stereotypical German inability to deal with a god damn "th" which, as a German myself, frustrates the living hell out of me about my fellow Krauts. :D

pastrami

But the examples people outside of the doge meme aren't really "cheap bits" for laughs as they are actual (stereotypical) lines. I mean seriously, adorbs is a meme?

Yeah, I agree, only the doge meme bothers me. But I was only commenting on his opinion that a light hearted story is an excuse for not having good writing.

sonto340

Which I suppose isn't that surprising, "bear minimum" is a pretty apt description of the game as a whole
Yeah she's far from a good stereotype. I wouldn't call it good by any stretch of the imagination.
It's fine to be upset with that, but I'll take issue if you try to say their use of Le is strictly a reference to a bad meme and not the lazy way they used to convey "THIS CHARACTER IS FRENCH"
The context is incredibly important here.

Faustek

Usually I'm mad about being European and having to deal with other bs but in this instance I'm happy.

But in the end it isn't anything I can answer. Pretty sure they know what they're doing and if the majority of their buyers like it then so be it.

TheMoon

Btw, already looking forward to the day when people realize that the supposed "doge meme" in the OP is actually totally harmless and can be easily read as simple amazement at the state of those ruins. The reason we lose our collective shit here about this being a doge reference is because we're aware of the doge meme and thus immediately tie the two together.

Veldin

The thing about references is that they have to make sense. In this case it's just plain stupid and looks like a weird grammatical error unless you're aware of goofy internet memes.

Btw, already looking forward to the day when people realize that the supposed "doge meme" in the OP is actually totally harmless and can be easily read as simple amazement at the state of those ruins. The reason we lose our collective shit here about this being a doge reference is because we're aware of the doge meme and thus immediately tie the two together.

You think it would have been in the game otherwise?

Yeah she's far from a good stereotype. I wouldn't call it good by any stretch of the imagination.
It's fine to be upset with that, but I'll take issue if you try to say their use of Le is strictly a reference to a bad meme and not the lazy way they used to convey "THIS CHARACTER IS FRENCH"
The context is incredibly important here.
Well I had mainly posted that because she said "cosplay" which sounds out of place, everyone latched on to the "le" and then here we are

I'm more surprised that people don't have more of an issue with "dudebro" or are purposely ignoring it. Like it doesn't even make any sense even in context of the Miiverse house. And it's not something that will sound less weird with time.

PtM

Banned
smrpg063.png

"ze" and "za" are both interchangeable ways to present the stereotypical German inability to deal with a god damn "th" which, as a German myself, frustrates the living hell out of me about my fellow Krauts. :D
Cue the recent Shinen spotlights with extra Bavarian accent on top.

I would not like it in every game, but then you have things like NoE spaltoon and Treehouse splatoon, were treehouse's localization is full of charm and personality and NoEs is boring and dull.
And im saying this as an European.

Boss Doggie

yo i herd u liek memes

To be fair though, if you take out the meme context those are still passable lines. Especially the lolcats one. The problem meme dialog has is if you take away the meme context, they lose their meaning.

Also just in case - iirc TPCi handles Pokemon localization, not Nintendo.

Mistle

Treehouse's writing has been great in other games, like with Splatoon and Happy Home Designer. In comparison, Nintendo Europe's writing for Splatoon is disappointing.

Other than the c'mon/booyah differences, is there anything else? Do the NPCs talk differently?

Boss Doggie

To people being surprised on the UK US thing, Wii Fit Trainer has a different voice actor/actress in Smash in either language to match the Wii Fit instructor in their respective region.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Of course, and NOA's dialogue enhances that imo.
Well at least it's all original humour rather than the complaint presented by the OP. The problem is I only experienced the NoA script after the NoE script so most of the impact was lost since I had already experienced the joke. The script is but a fraction of the complete scene and I actually found the more serious tone of the boss in stark contrast to the setting amusing in its own right. Humour is subjective after all.

Because they want to be outraged at the memessss

I mean, getting upset at "adorbs"?
That's adorbs.

Honestly, it depends on the meme. Doge is just stupid quite frankly. Anyone who uses it comes off as a blithering idiot. It's baby talk.

Adorbs on the other hand is just slang so I see no problems with using it. In fact as a pro for separate English translations, this allows the translators to be more flexible with slang since there will be no worry of what it means elsewhere, extreme example: the slang term to ask for a cigarette in the UK wouldn't really go down to well. I'm sure you've all heard what a cigarette can be called in the UK. Well a slang for 'have' in this context is 'bum'. So the full phrase is 'to bum a f...' well you get the gist.

disap.ed

I like it.

I do as well. The german Nintendo translations also always been heavily influenced by the current Zeitgeist (especially during the SNES days), I am actually missing this quite a bit in the current games (they aren't translated inhouse anymore IIRC).

flozuki

Happy we don´t get that stuff in Europe. It is funny for the first time but a few years down the line I guess a replay of certain games with these memes is strange.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Eh, it's been like a decade since I played the game. With that said, that does explain why I couldn't find any images with "ze"

"ze" is a much better representation of said pronounciation error though. I've never heard a fellow German say "za" instead of "the". Conker's Bad Fur Day actually had a nice representation of German pronounciation in Professor von Kriplespac's dialogs.

In retrospect, considering how Sakurai told NOA they were allowed to do anything they wanted with the script, I'm surprised how Kid Icarus Uprising didn't feature any memetic form of humor. 4th wall jokes and references to other games, yes, but nothing like Pit saying he got an arrow to the knee or something.

TheMoon

I do as well. The german Nintendo translations also always been heavily influenced by the current Zeitgeist (especially during the SNES days), I am actually missing this quite a bit in the current games (they aren't translated inhouse anymore IIRC).

Sorry, gotta run to watch Lindenstraße.

TheMoon

In retrospect, considering how Sakurai told NOA they were allowed to do anything they wanted with the script, I'm surprised how Kid Icarus Uprising didn't feature any memetic form of humor. 4th wall jokes and references to other games, yes, but nothing like Pit saying he got an arrow to the knee.

Mike Drucker worked on that game, probably his best work while at NOA. He's writing for Jimmy Fallon now (previously Conan, SNL).

smrpg063.png

But it's really just a problem in words like "three" not with just the article "the". I thought that was supposed to be a Russian or something.

yo i herd u liek memes

but it's 8000

Alienous

"So ancient. Such ruin" is allowable for a dog character in that context. Those lines can be interpreted non-'goofily'.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but they need to be careful inflicting the transient memes of the Internet onto games that might be timeless (though I doubt this game fits that bill, but other Zelda games do).

Mike Drucker worked on that game, probably his best work while at NOA. He's writing for Jimmy Fallon now (previously Conan, SNL).

He didn't return for the Palutena's Guidances in SSB4, did he? That'd probably explain why the writing there is a lot weaker than it was in KIU.

Blobbers

Wow, a localization using the "it's over 9000" meme in 2016. That's so embarrassing and out of touch. What's next? The cake is a lie in Genei Ibunroku#FE?

Top Bottom