• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

tolkir

Most weird localization ever is Little King Story in Spain.
They speak 'chiquitistaní', (a dialect invented by a Spanish comedian named 'Chiquito de la Calzada' more two decades ago)

king2gcqcr.jpg

king1nlpgk.jpg

TheMoon

But it's really just a problem in words like "three" not with just the article "the". I thought that was supposed to be a Russian or something.

Oh no, it's definitely a problem with any and all incarnations of "th"

the = ze
this = zhiss
with = wiss
three = zree
everything = everysing
something = somesing (<- a favorite of English teachers who like to follow with "who sings?")
father = fahser
mother = mosa
brother = brosa
birthday!!! (ever listened to Germans sing Happy Birthday? RIP...) = birsday
... all of it.

Nightbird

"ze" is a much better representation of said pronounciation error though. I've never heard a fellow German say "za" instead of "the". Conker's Bad Fur Day actually had a nice representation of German pronounciation in Professor von Kriplespac's dialogs.

Maybe not for "the", but if they are trying to say "that" I know a lot of people who say "za". Heck, I do mess it up myself from time to time (usually if I'm trying to translate for to people)

It's common.

JDSN

Banned
Most weird localization ever is Little King Story in Spain.
They speak 'chiquitistaní', (a dialect invented by a Spanish comedian named 'Chiquito de la Calzada' more two decades ago)

king2gcqcr.jpg

king1nlpgk.jpg

Hahaha its like Yoda having a stroke. I remember when they gave those ridiculous Andaluz accents to Seifer's henchmen in FFVIII.

Ridley327

The doge meme is whatever, but the NOE translation is way too damn wordy for one sentence.

Memes don't bother me as much as instantly dated pop culture references, largely because there's a longer shelf life. If you went into something like Ace Attorney 3, in which the first case makes a pointed reference to the Kelis song Milkshake, you immediately cringe because A) the song had already long had its run on the radio, B) it's done in a Family Guy-style "remember this, guys?" lazy way, which leads to the ultimate problem that C) completely misinterprets the point of the song as the reference is being made about a character who is very petite.

Very glad for NoE superior translation. If I'd come across that dank meme shit I would have sighed and stopped playing really. "Who cares, its just writing in a videogame!" is the other side of the passion and quality people like to talk about in relation with Nintendo games normally but, DEFEND!!

A lot of american media for videogames aimed at kids seems to enter the meme zone very quickly. Like that dank meme Sonic twitter account that everyone thought was "incredible" and a "step in the right direction". Depressing.

A bit OTT lol.

TheMoon

Maybe not for "the", but if they are trying to say "that" I know a lot of people who say "za". Heck, I do mess it up myself from time to time (usually if I'm trying to translate for to people)

It's common.

I think it often sounds like "za" when the following word begins with an "r" sound. Or it's just generally dependent on how the particular person speaks which affects the pronunciation of certain vowels.

UK English and US English are very different. Even myself which is not speaking English as my mother tongue realise this.

for example isn't it "realize" in US English?

But regarding the meme, even if it may not be funny for a lot of people or too old since it's not insulting for anyone I wouldn't care.

Very glad for NoE superior translation. If I'd come across that dank meme shit I would have sighed and stopped playing really. "Who cares, its just writing in a videogame!" is the other side of the passion and quality people like to talk about in relation with Nintendo games normally but, DEFEND!!

A lot of american media for videogames aimed at kids seems to enter the meme zone very quickly. Like that dank meme Sonic twitter account that everyone thought was "incredible" and a "step in the right direction". Depressing.

You need to chill out and relax.

ika

Don't like almost all the things they're changing with Xenoblade Chronicles X localization, so this doesn't surprise me.

Ridley327

Don't like almost all the things they're changing with Xenoblade Chronicles X localization, so this doesn't surprise me.

Treehouse doesn't sound like they're leading that localization anymore, though. It seems like the only thing that's directly attributable to them is changing Dolls to Skells.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A bit OTT lol.
You need to chill out and relax.

Ah I should probably correct that I wouldn't "stop playing" for good, just put it down and return to it later once my meme toxicity returned to normal. Also I work in writing as a profession so I'm more... sensitive to this shit.

Are you always this overdramatic?

Don't be that guy that chases me from thread to thread, guy. Don't you do it, buddy.

Dunkley

I much prefer the UK localizations.

I found the inclusion of "U wot mate" and "Like a boss" in the US localization of Splatoon kinda bothersome.

john tv

The keikaku one 8-4 put in MH3 is the best thing anyone has ever done.
Localized your comment there. :)

Joking aside, that character was one of the most popular in the game, and said localization actually made sense with his back story, so I respectfully disagree with your assertion. We don't use memes for the sake of using memes, but in MH, there is a lot of wackiness in the Japanese that is sometimes suitable for this sort of treatment. That keikaku thing wasn't dropped in for a quick laugh, his entire character is based on him being from overseas and mixing native vocab into his lines. It was a pittari fit!

That said...you can't please everyone. There's always the Japanese version!

PS - I love adorbs, it makes sense in the context of TFH (which people should really play before criticizing the localization).

Nightbird

I think it often sounds like "za" when the following word begins with an "r" sound. Or it's just generally dependent on how the particular person speaks which affects the pronunciation of certain vowels.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot, this is another great reason.

TheMoon

Treehouse doesn't sound like they're leading that localization anymore, though. It seems like the only thing that's directly attributable to them is changing Dolls to Skells.

When they outsource to 8-4, they still have their own people on it as well to supervise at the very least. But it's a collaborative effort nonetheless.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot, this is another great reason.

The good ol' "i" in "Kirche" would be an example for this. In some parts of the country the "i" is pronounced very clearly and in others it sounds more like "Kürche." Regional accents and all. Language is annoyingly complicated sometimes. :D

So, can someone explain to me how they're overdoing it when you've provided one meme in the entire game, in a place most people will never see anyways

Memes are for children that haven't developed a proper sense of humor.

Of course, extremist political correctness has forced adults to not have senses of humor, so here we are.

Ridley327

Localized your comment there. :)

Joking aside, that character was one of the most popular in the game, and said localization actually made sense with his back story, so I respectfully disagree with your assertion. We don't use memes for the sake of using memes, but in MH, there is a lot of wackiness in the Japanese that is sometimes suitable for this sort of treatment. That keikaku thing wasn't dropped in for a quick laugh, his entire character is based on him being from overseas and mixing native vocab into his lines. It was a pittari fit!

That said...you can't please everyone. There's always the Japanese version!

PS - I love adorbs, it makes sense in the context of TFH (which people should really play before criticizing the localization).

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people realize just how deeply silly Monster Hunter has always been. The Wyvern Captain is very much in keeping with the general tone of the series.

I remember people getting angry with you guys over renaming Hapurubokka to Nibelsnarf. Like, one look at that monster should tell you that Nibelsnarf is about the best name it could ever get.

RedToad64

I feel like a major reason Layton vs. Wright was such a let down was because NoE handled localization duties for North America. The text was all really basic and lacked the usual flair. Capcom or Treehouse should have handled that one.

Davey Cakes

Doesn't bother me at all, really.

If they chopped off the last part, it'd be fine. The UK translation needs to be completely re-worded to sound better though, as it reads too long IMO.

The first NoA sentence is a marked improvement over what NoE came up with, which reads way less natural. Just need to chop off the last four words, which is the kind of indulgent crap a good editor would veto.
Basically, this.

The Boat

I don't know how many memes pop up in their translations (I'm betting once or twice in a game), but I see lots of people here don't really get Tri Force Heroes' style.

Breaker

Neo Member
So, can someone explain to me how they're overdoing it when you've provided one meme in the entire game, in a place most people will never see anyways

Yeah, just from reading the title I was expecting to see more examples rather than just one, like at least 5 of them

Ridley327

When they outsource to 8-4, they still have their own people on it as well to supervise at the very least. But it's a collaborative effort nonetheless.
I probably made that sound more dismissive than I actually meant, but yeah, I am aware that Treehouse still does a lot of work, especially since they're the ones responsible for the localization of the important terminology that the entire game has to use, as well as communicating back and forth with Monolith on what the best ways are to keep the intentions of those terms and have it make sense for English-speaking audiences. It's pretty exciting that 8-4 is involved at all, given the great job they did with Xenosaga Ep 3 and Baten Kaitos Origins all those years ago.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Holy crud, which trophy says that?

Karate Joe:
Has there ever been a cry more manly than the "Uh!" that appears at the start of every Karate Man stage? Doesn't it sound like it comes from the very bottom of his soul? Or is that just us? ...Anyway! Karate Joe is a pretty cool guy. He punches flowerpots, bulbs, even exploding barrels without the slightest hesitation. Truly, he fears nothing.

They worded it in a way that doesn't quite come off like it was written on the Internet. Perhaps in the example in the OP was worded in a similar matter people wouldn't have complained as much.

TheMoon

I don't know how many memes pop up in their translations (I'm betting once or twice in a game), but I see lots of people here don't really get Tri Force Heroes' style.

Yup, this is the real issue here. Most people here just roll in, see "Zelda game" and a vague reference to the doge meme and then light their torch. That this is a very lighthearted game to boot and then also entirely centered around fashion-obsessed people gets completely lost.

It's pretty exciting that 8-4 is involved at all, given the great job they did with Xenosaga Ep 3 and Baten Kaitos Origins all those years ago.

And Fire Emblem! :)

(sorry Mark, not gonna mention Glory of Heracles)

mindsale

This is a game where you can invalidate someone's movement entirely simply picking them up and there's no mechanic to get out of it, and where the single player is an unplayably unfun juggling act, and you're upset about some netspeak. Priorities.

Why do people complain about something they dont do? Like what makes you so qualified to complain..? Your opinion? Alot of people dont care.

Huh? Sorry I don't...?

Seriously, I feel it might alienate gamers that aren't up to par with memes, and like someone already said, in 10 years when the doge meme is ancient, it will just look like gibberish.

They worded it in a way that doesn't quite come off like it was written on the Internet. Perhaps in the example in the OP was worded in a similar matter people wouldn't have complained as much.

Yeah, that isn't nearly as explicit as Ballad made it seem to be. I probably wouldn't of noticed it that much when reading that for the first time.

Karate Joe:

In isolation that karate joe trophy still makes sense as a description. Its written in such a way that it doesn't seem... Cringeworthy is the best word. If you know about the meme, even better.

The subtlety is important, whereas triforce heroes is just slapping you around the face with it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yup, this is the real issue here. Most people here just roll in, see "Zelda game" and a vague reference to the doge meme and then light their torch. That this is a very lighthearted game to boot and then also entirely centered around fashion-obsessed people gets completely lost.

Zelda games have always been filled with light heartedness with silly characters. That's not really an issue here.

rhandino

Banned
Huh? Sorry I don't...?

Seriously, I feel it might alienate gamers that aren't up to par with memes, and like someone already said, in 10 years when the doge meme is ancient, it will just look like gibberish.
Dont worry, game and characters are over the top so one of them saying random gibberish would be fine even if the internet forget doge.

Oh jeez, I made the mistake of looking at that person's other tweets.

He's a Gamergate supporter.

Better bring out the pitchforks!

God, you guys love witch hunting, don't you? This thread has nothing to do about gamer gate, stop shoving it into every thread.

Anyways, onto things that OP is actually trying to discuss, I agree that it's starting to get a bit excessive. It's fine every once in a while, but now it's like every game is filled with this nonsense. I wish they'd stick closer to the original Japanese. There's enough wiggle room there without having to prove that you're young and hip.

Phu

Banned
Chû Totoro;183096525 said:
UK English and US English are very different. Even myself which is not speaking English as my mother tongue realise this.

for example isn't it "realize" in US English?

But regarding the meme, even if it may not be funny for a lot of people or too old since it's not insulting for anyone I wouldn't care.

I'm not sure how serious this post was but as a native speaker I would never call UK English and US English 'very different.' Just a month or two ago I finished a pretty lengthy book by a UK author and didn't once have even minor issues understanding anything.

I feel like as soon as you notice something isn't written/spoken in your regional style (color/colour or realize/realise, etc.) you sort of get locked into knowing it will continue to be that way.

Really the only things that ever cause a problem are specific slang terms, which are usually few and far between and could be changed relatively easily or maybe the occasional dialect.

Eila

NoE did Xenoblade. It's a no contest.
Their localization teams are both bad, to be honest. I don't understand why they mess with the scripts so much.

ika

They changed the Union names, continents, enemy races and the BLADE acronym also. I think I read somewhere they asked Takahashi about the changes (poor man, they fooled him).

At first I was like "Yeah that's dumb!" but it's more I just think the doge meme itself is just incredibly stupid to begin with. Like I probably wouldn't care as much for example if a character had said "Are you having a giggle there?" written as is and not the "u havin a gigl m8" crap.

I think if you feel the need to work in a meme in your script keep it light or, in spite of the concept and idea behind memes, just try to make it subtle.

Top Bottom