• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

I usually enjoy Treehouse's translations (I know some meme-y stuff snuck into recent Pokemon and Animal Crossing games), but man. Doge was obnoxious from day one.

dity

The thing about references is that they have to make sense. In this case it's just plain stupid and looks like a weird grammatical error unless you're aware of goofy internet memes.

This is probably 100% of approximately everyone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The irony here about video game fans being outraged on the internet about meme use in video games is amazing.

The irony here about video game fans being outraged about meme use in video games is amazing.

Pretty much, people just want a reason to overreact, which is expected with the BitBlock. I can't imagine most of the people complaining are even going to touch Triforce Heroes.

I laughed out loud at the "my body is ready" memes in Pokemon X and Smash bros. Let them have their fun with it. It's not really taking much out of the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, a localization using the "it's over 9000" meme in 2016. That's so embarrassing and out of touch. What's next? The cake is a lie in Genei Ibunroku#FE?

Read the line without the context of the meme. It still works. So it's forgivable like that. That can't be said with the doge meme though.

Ironically enough, those "meme dialog" works much more than a running gag in the franchise - the shorts kid, who doesn't even wear shorts in some of the later versions.

Not a meme, but I loved someone from Nitendo Spain decided to translate the Mario Galaxy cleaning robots as andalusian speakers. Makes their dialog be funny and have a lot of personality.

Maybe they talked with Kansai accent or something like that in the original japanese verion?

RedToad64

To everyone saying NoE's localization team is better than Nintendo Treehouse:
EBC89mW.gif

They messed up one time.

Are you kidding me? I can't believe people are bitching about NoA's localization of Tri Force Heroes. It's fantastic, with or without the occasional meme reference. (Though the doge reference is excellent.)

People will complain about literally anything, good lord. One of the game's consistent high points for me as I played it for our review was the writing because it's so charming, witty, and just fun.

FAUX PAS ALERT!

Wait, why would they need to localize their games for US specifically? Just use the English localization done by NOE = All is good!

Iksenpets

Banned
You guys are no fun at all. Let them enjoy the occasional meme, especially in a small moment in a throwaway title like Triforce Heroes. It's not like they they wedged it into a serious moment in the main game, and it's not like it wouldn't make just as much sense to someone who doesn't know the meme. In fact, even if the meme didn't exist, I would say that NoA version has way more character than the really flat NoE translation.

It's not just English. French Canadians get their own translation as well.

This reminds of the first few Nintendo games we got in french, some characters in the first Super Mario Galaxy and Phantom Hourglass had some heavy Quebec slang in most of their dialogs, it felt really out of place (and parents got mad, lol).

fOoQI1E.jpg

That was toned down a lot for SMG2 and later games. The translations are probably better now, can't say I rarely play my games in french.

Also I don't mind memes in NOA's translation if they are used sparingly. I hate them in indie games though.

As lazy and unoriginal as that is, there's something funny about a 260+ post thread on a throwaway line because someone at Nintendo tried to be cute.

This reminds of the first few Nintendo games we got in french, some characters in the first Super Mario Galaxy and Phantom Hourglass had some heavy Quebec slang in most of their dialogs, it felt really out of place (and parents got mad, lol).

fOoQI1E.jpg

That was toned down a lot for SMG2 and later games. The translations are probably better now, can't say I rarely play my games in french.

Also I don't mind memes in NOA's translation if they are used sparingly. I hate them in indie games though.

Those robots spoke with andalusian spanish accent on the spanish version of the game.
If they had a kansai accent in the japanese version (maybe someone who played in japanese could tell us how the robots spoke in that version) I dont understand why people could get mad, its a good localisation.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Very glad for NoE superior translation. If I'd come across that dank meme shit I would have sighed and stopped playing for a bit really. "Who cares, its just writing in a videogame!" is the other side of the passion and quality people like to talk about in relation with Nintendo games normally but, DEFEND!!

A lot of american media for videogames aimed at kids seems to enter the meme zone very quickly. Like that dank meme Sonic twitter account that everyone thought was "incredible" and a "step in the right direction". Depressing.

If we don't fight here whenever a cat girl next shows us they'll all be "can I haz talks to you" gibberish.

Anyway...

IGN voice chat a few episodes ago had some treehouse people on (Bill Trinen and Ann Lin). It is a worth a listen:
http://ignwii.ign.libsynpro.com/nintendo-voice-chat-the-charming-people-behind-animal-crossing

They admit they are pretty good at groan worthy jokes. Shame IGN didn't press them on if they force jokes where there were no jokes (which the example this thread is about might well be) as they said they try to substitute (so if it was groan worthy in English it was also graon worthy in Japanese)...you also have the occasional bit they forgot about like the "I caught a sea bass. You again?"
the Japanese name for sea bass is also a really common name in Japan but this straight translation kind of works given how common Sea Bass are in that game

Firemind

Read the line without the context of the meme. It still works. So it's forgivable like that. That can't be said with the doge meme though.

Ironically enough, those "meme dialog" works much more than a running gag in the franchise - the shorts kid, who doesn't even wear shorts in some of the later versions.
But 9000 makes no sense in the context of Pokemon.

Very glad for NoE superior translation. If I'd come across that dank meme shit I would have sighed and stopped playing really. "Who cares, its just writing in a videogame!" is the other side of the passion and quality people like to talk about in relation with Nintendo games normally but, DEFEND!!

A lot of american media for videogames aimed at kids seems to enter the meme zone very quickly. Like that dank meme Sonic twitter account that everyone thought was "incredible" and a "step in the right direction". Depressing.
Are you always this overdramatic?

Most of the localization in TFH has been really great, it's probably made me laugh more than any other game in recent memory. But yeah, that line in OP is a bit much.

I'd rather see them take risks and get a bit silly though, it gives the games more character.

Javier

I'll be honest. I haven't played the game yet, but had I come across that scene on my own with no context I probably wouldn't have even noticed it was a meme.

It's a lot less obvious than, say, characters saying "Excuuuuse me, Princess" or "You're the man now, doll!" in Ace Attorney.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Though the doge reference is excellent.

It really isn't, which is the problem here. If they used literally any other meme I doubt people would have cared. Doge really is that bad. As someone said, it just looks like piss poor grammar to those unaware of what it is.

It really isn't, which is the problem here. If they used literally any other meme I doubt people would have cared. Doge really is that bad. As someone said, it just looks like piss poor grammar to those unaware of what it is.
A matter that of opinion. I'm fine with it.

JDSN

Banned
I like it, its not like its Metroid Prime or something. Funny how references to old stuff is clever but memes are just lame.

VegiHam

I haven't been playing this specific game; but the real issue here is the separate translations for the US and UK. Please tell me they at least named the characters and places the same things in both versions? Trying to talk about Spirit Tracks is a nightmare because Americans had a whole separate translation; you need a freaking glossary.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I chuckled

I like the Treehouses shenanigans as far as localization goes. some of the smash trophy descriptions are great.

Weird thing about Smash trophies is that some of the English translations are shared, whereas some are just tweaked (grammar and spelling) and some tell completely different jokes.

It's not like the whole game looks like it was ripped out of a Reddit thread. They're having a little bit of fun translating tons of text and making it a little more culturally relevant to the US audience. Stuff like that is popular now. You'll always remember the first time you hear your nephew or young cousin say something like that out loud.

Weird thing about Smash trophies is that some of the English translations are shared, whereas some are just tweaked (grammar and spelling) and some tell completely different jokes.

The European ones are kind of dank, with "Pretty cool guy, does stuff and doesn't afraid of anything" and "go home and be a family man."

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The European ones are kind of dank, with "Pretty cool guy, does stuff and doesn't afraid of anything" and "go home and be a family man."

That's why I feel it's not memes in general people have a problem with, it's just certain ones like doge.

And a Street Fighter reference for a Street Fighter trophy isn't exactly comparable.

N.Grim

Are you kidding me? I can't believe people are bitching about NoA's localization of Tri Force Heroes. It's fantastic, with or without the occasional meme reference. (Though the doge reference is excellent.)

People will complain about literally anything, good lord. One of the game's consistent high points for me as I played it for our review was the writing because it's so charming, witty, and just fun.

FAUX PAS ALERT!

They haven't played the game, that's the point.

Glowsquid

re:

I'm more confused as to why they do two complete passes of English for all their games. It's rediculous, particularly when they rename digital only games, like Pushmo / Pullblox.

What a complete waste of money and consumer confusion.

Wait, why are there TWO English translations? Has this always been a thing? Why would you do this?

Why have two english scripts? seems like a waste of money

and other "why are there two translations" posts: the catalyst for Nintendo doing different english localizations was Mario Party 8, whose english script used a word benig in the US but highly offensive in the UK, which caused the game to be recalled:

The game had a launch plagued by difficulties in the United Kingdom. Originally scheduled for release on June 22, 2007, Nintendo announced on June 19, 2007 that the British version had been delayed to July 13, 2007, due to a "production issue".[5] Furthermore, upon release on July 13, 2007, it was then immediately recalled. In a press release, Nintendo gave the reason for the withdrawal as an assembly error, but some retailers were reporting that it was supposedly withdrawn from shelves because some copies included the word "spastic", which is considered a highly offensive word in the UK for referring to disability. Just one month before, Ubisoft had the PSP game Mind Quiz pulled from the shelves because of the same word. The game was eventually re-released in the United Kingdom on August 3, 2007 with the word "erratic" now used instead

Pic semi related:

GwlnPjN.jpg
Lol, is that real?

Toss me on for thinking it's a waste of money to do two translations, but consider they could just have Treehouse adapt the EU script or vice versa. Regional adaptations are not really (relatively) stressful or time consuming work. Or they don't have to be. How different are the scripts overall?

Edit: Interesting note above, but still seems unnecessary for two entire translations.

PillarEN

Is it better to not have internet memes in your script? Yes. Some times it works like the ol' "Do you love going on message boards to complain about games you've never played?" It's relevant beyond the game but it doesn't veer into meme territory. When you just cut and paste a meme into the script I'd say it should be given a second thought. Don't date it to the exact short lifespan of a meme.

sonto340

That's why I feel it's not memes in general people have a problem with, it's just certain ones like doge.

And a Street Fighter reference for a Street Fighter trophy isn't exactly comparable.
Go home and be a family man is an incredibly old meme. It just happens to be in context here.

Wow people really hate doge that much? I'll still get a chuckle out of pretty good derivatives. Humor is subjective I guess.

Kinsei

Banned

FAUX PAS ALERT!

I agree that the writing is charming, but that doge reference was cringe worthy, even within the world of the game.

emb

I like the line from the op. Not that it's a sick reference or anything, but just a nice reminder that the game isn't going to be that serious.

Can get grating if it's way overdone though. I have no idea if that's the case with TFH, and won't know until I play.

Top Bottom