• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Ugh that is super unfortunate. Was hoping to run this at ultra with my 980ti.

Yeah, this would be huge bummer for me as well. We need Vulkan! ;)
I'm hoping drivers improve performance. It's not terrible at all, but it definitely could be better.

Something tells me this is the kind of game I should get on PC, but I vastly prefer consoles...
With the way some of the encounters go and how enemies move, people on consoles are really gonna need to go Mr Miyagi and shit as I imagine that they'll be having a tough time trying to aim.

That's weird... I'm getting a rock solid 60fps on my 980Ti with everything turned up to Ultra. Mind you I'm running at 1080p but it still sounds like you're getting subpar performance. What is your processor?

i74770k.

1080p would easily be 60 plus. But I'm playing at 1440p which is a pretty substantial difference.

Thanks for the impressions man! God damn this game sound fun as hell (pun intended). Kinda glad I'm going for the console version first, I only have an OC'd gtx 770 so I'd probably get worse performance than you're experiencing.

The PS4 version is legit. You won't be disappointed.

With the way some of the encounters go and how enemies move, people on consoles are really gonna need to go Mr Miyagi and shit as I imagine that they'll be having a tough time trying to aim.

No issues using a DS4 here and playing on Ultra Violence.

Simo

BFG I guess...is really fucking big in real life..lol

13129398_903080496480920_987021132_n.jpg

13188086_1608242156169352_191474947_n.jpg

Played for about 2 hours on PC and I absolutely love this game. It is, without a doubt, Doom, and I say that as someone who grew up playing the original in the 90's. Feels far "Doomier" than Doom 3, that's for sure. Also runs spectacularly well at 1440p on my 970 & 3570k. Game is gorgeous.

Genuinely surprised at the amount of secrets, and they actually feel secret. I've struggled to find the vast majority of them and will definitely be doing a second playthrough.

Momentary

Banned
GOOD GOD MAN! The map layouts are just damn amazing. Secrets placements are just outstanding.

BAD ASS secret early in the 2nd stage. It's hard to find. Unlocking maps really doesn't help that much. You still have to hunt like hell to find these things. So that's a plus to me.

I'm mulling over whether to grab this on the Xbox or PS4, is the resolution the same on both consoles?

Supposedly PS4 is 1080p, not sure about XO. I pre-ordered on PS4 just to be safe. I play all my SP games on PS4 and MP games on XO and since I hated the multiplayer Beta It's going to be campaign only for me. After seeing how big and layered the SP levels are I wish Id had just done a co-op mode instead.

Blitzhex

Complaints I have:

The framerate is still not a solid 60@1440p w/ a 980Ti with most settings on medium and a few on high. It seems to hover between 55-65, a few odd drops too, like looking at some planters would drop it down to the 40's. It's mitigated some by Gsync, but performance could be better. Though, drivers haven't been released yet(as far as I know) and that could definitely help to have.

Huh, I'm getting 80-90 fps and frequently going in the 100s. Ultra preset /w x16 af (default is x8), smaa (1 tx) and 1440p. 980ti @ 1420mhz and 5690k @ 4.5.
I'm a little past the part where you get the heavy machine gun and it's been consistent the whole way. The lowest never dips below 70.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just played a little bit on my PS4 with FOV on 110 and the "smooth" option in the controller settings on 80.

What an amazing game so far. Love it. Shooting is a lot of fun, but I have a hard time aiming with the pistol. Auto aim is really on a minimum

antitrop

Streamer I'm watching seems to be having a great time. The way the soundtrack kicks in at the perfect moment when you start combat is so hype. Goes from all atmospheric to crunching guitar like the flip of a switch, I love it.

Doom guy is very badass. He hasn't said a word, but the way he interacts and does things give you this, "fuck you, everything is gonna die" kinda vibe. If this keeps up, I'll be in heaven.

Complaints I have:

The framerate is still not a solid 60@1440p w/ a 980Ti with most settings on medium and a few on high. It seems to hover between 55-65, a few odd drops too, like looking at some planters would drop it down to the 40's. It's mitigated some by Gsync, but performance could be better. Though, drivers haven't been released yet(as far as I know) and that could definitely help to have.

I have to agree, doomguy is badass esp
The first time samuel talks to him and he punches the screen, that was awesome

As for the framerate i'm getting a solid 60fps at 1440p with a 980ti and a 6700k, it's never dropped below 59

Streamer I'm watching seems to be having a great time. The way the soundtrack kicks in at the perfect moment when you start combat is so hype. Goes from all atmospheric to crunching guitar like the flip of a switch, I love it.

I try to sync my glory kills with the beats of the soundtrack, they feel more awesome that way heh.

Just played a little bit on my PS4 with FOV on 110 and the "smooth" option in the controller settings on 80.

What an amazing game so far. Love it. Shooting is a lot of fun, but I have a hard time aiming with the pistol. Auto aim is really on a minimum

Fuck the pistol. You will never use it again after getting a couple other weapons.
Be sure to search for weapons too, I think some of them might be missable.

Whats a "smooth" option??

The Flash

Banned

You can adjust the FOV on console? Nice.

The way the soundtrack kicks in at the perfect moment when you start combat is so hype

Based Gordon

53.08 GB after both patches for me.

Maybe they actually wanted reviewers to play multi + snapmap before reviewing. Can't really know for sure. What I do know is that the gameplay is sublime and I'm still hoping someone either rips the audio from steam and the OST goes upfor sale so I can buy it and gift it.

ANOTHER 53gb after Uncharted 4 ? Fuck my day one 500gb

Huh, I'm getting 80-90 fps and frequently going in the 100s. Ultra preset /w x16 af (default is x8), smaa (1 tx) and 1440p. 980ti @ 1420mhz and 5690k @ 4.5.
I'm a little past the part where you get the heavy machine gun and it's been consistent the whole way. The lowest never dips below 70.

I'll overclock and see what that does. But I'm not seeing performance like that at all. From what I've read in the PC performance thread, most with similar setups aren't either.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I'm up to the third mission. This game is fun as fuck!! I'm seriously sooooo impressed. It's just balls to the walls action and the game looks so gorgeous. It's up there with some of the best looking FPS games I have played. Took some screenshots:

Playing on PC with a 970

Simo

You can adjust the FOV on console? Nice.

Based Gordon

The FOV slider is in the day 1 patch though so you'll need that for sure.

I don't think we're getting a OST for Doom. At least nothing has been announced and Bethesda and Gordon won't comment on it when asked. :(

Salz01

The impressions in here are blowing my mind. Can't wait till this unlocks. What an amazing week for games.

The FOV slider is in the day 1 patch though so you'll need that for sure.

I don't think we're getting a OST for Doom. At least nothing has been announced and Bethesda and Gordon won't comment on it when asked. :(

No ost will be disappointing, music is phenomenal

Just finished the Foundry level. So far, so REALLY fucking good. Genuinely one of the best FPS games I've played in a LOOOOONG time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Something tells me this is the kind of game I should get on PC, but I vastly prefer consoles...

Have had the same debate, ended up pre-ordering on PS4 thinking I will just double-dip on PC during a Steam Sale down the road. Really curious to try on PC since I just built a new one recently, but I kind of want it on PS4 despite.

Odrion

Banned
VPN never seems to work for me. (I use Private Internet Access)

I quit Steam, connect as New Zealand, log back on and Doom is still "Pre-load Complete, unreleased.

VPN never seems to work for me. (I use Private Internet Access)

I quit Steam, connect as New Zealand, log back on and Doom is still "Pre-load Complete, unreleased.

I tried it with PIA and couldn't get it to work. Ended up using FlyVPN. Free and you don't even have to sign up for it.

The doom gods have smiled upon me. Went to order on best buy and had a $25 gift cert that expires in 2 days that I had no idea about haha

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How to play this doom game:

Good whisky. Ardbeg or Lagavulin
Good pepperoni pizza
Headphones or speakers loud and play.

Sadly I've a headache and have to stop for today but that's how I'll play it tomorrow again.

How to play this doom game:

Good whisky. Ardbeg or Lagavulin
Good pepperoni pizza
Headphones or speakers loud and play.

Sadly I've a headache and have to stop for today but that's how I'll play it tomorrow again.

I like this :)
Would have done the same but I have a meeting tomorrow :-(
I like the game, fluid , tight and dare I say fast. Every encounter just left me with a smile.

Top Bottom