• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition Launch Trailer (hot) and Release Date (October 7th)

Squire

Banned
Aaryn Flynn ‏@AarynFlynn

That's not a dragon @Xbox @Cameron__Lee @GeekyFriedRice - THIS is a @dragonage dragon! #E3

Bny2zTcIEAEyBNI.jpg

Demo at the MS conference I guess?

Guessing they've got a DLC deal going then. I had a feeling they would.

Ridesh

Banned
10351831_10152406856969367_2366682777417746272_n.jpg

Cameron Lee talked in a interview about a plot in the game which is pure politics.

AusGamers: Game of Thrones has thrust the politics of fantasy worlds into the forefront of how people think about them, and the Player Character in Inquisition is the leader of a fairly political faction. Will politics play a large role in the game?

Cameron: Yes it does. There are a couple of different facets from that. There is one plot in particular which is very much a political plot, it's very much backroom deals and court intrigue and how you influence people based on your reputation. Sort of what can you pull off and at what cost to other people? There's a whole plot dedicated to that kind of experience, and it's bloody as well. Like Game of Thrones, I guess, is definitely a bloody type of politics--it's similar with us. Dragon Age has always had the blood and gore and the dark concept of politics and this plot is a great representation of that.

H3xum

Game of Thrones-esque squabbles and politics certainly seemed like an inevitability given the popularity of the series.

Those new screen shots are stunning. The least bland dessert I've seen

Squire

Banned
To be expected. Everything involving Anora in Origins was this exact sort of thing, so they were always going to do this, but they can really take advantage of GoTs popularity and they seem to know that.

medze

Forgive me if this was answered earlier in the thread but is there any type of DA:O type combat in this game? Can we zoom out and manage a party or is it all third person over-the-shoulder?

Forgive me if this was answered earlier in the thread but is there any type of DA:O type combat in this game? Can we zoom out and manage a party or is it all third person over-the-shoulder?

There is full tactical view from DA:O in the game and RTWP available but combat pace is somewhere in between the two games.

hemtae

There is a zoomed out camera in both the PC and consoles version apparently.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
To be expected. Everything involving Anora in Origins was this exact sort of thing, so they were always going to do this, but they can really take advantage of GoTs popularity and they seem to know that.

Everything to do with the Dwarves even more so. They were already talking ASoIaF during DAO making reference to darker fantasy. It seemed like it would be a larger part of DA2, what with you being the Champion of Kirkwall and rubbing shoulders with the Vicount a lot by the end along with other major people in the city, but year that didn't pan out so much.

I hope the storyline they mentioned is well fleshed out and offers a variety of means to succeed. From the devious and underhanded to the open and altruistic.

H3xum

Orlais will be one of the key places in Dragon Age: Inquisition and BioWare has taken the opportunity to shed some light on how the country is governed and the ruling elite.

On the game's website, BioWare posted a blog in the word's of a Ferelden noble by the name of Bann Teoric who speaks of the "Gread Game". This is name given to the political machinations of the aristocracy though Teoric notes "If one is not noble, one aspires to be—or at the least aspires to be in the good graces of a noble, and is ever watching for a way to enter the patronage of those better placed in the Grand Game."

He also says that Orlaisian nobles take their power through the divine right to rule, believing the Maker himself has given them their authority.

The nobles used to have countless titles but Emperor Drakon, who founded the empire and the Chantry, decried that every aristocrat should simply be referred to as lord or lady. Instead of ending the Great Game as Drakon had hoped, his decision inspired the nobles to begin assuming un-official titles instead.

We've seen images of a grand Orlaisian hall and we can be certain that the Inquisitor will end up deeply involved in the Gread Game whether they want to be or not.

In the blog on Orlais, BioWare also revealed the image at the top of this post which appears to show a ruined throne and a caption reading, "Where moves are made with rumours, and scandal is the chief weapon."

We got some idea of the Gread Game in Leliana's Song DLC for Dragon Age: Origins and this type of intigue is sure to be expanded upon in Inquisition.

Dragon Age: Inquisition launches on October 7th in North American and on October 10th in Europe for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Heres a bit of info talking about the political/GoT'ish theme we'll see in Inquisition

I likes

Ridesh

Banned
New update:

Halamshiral

halamshiral-blogheader.jpg

Civil war has ravaged the Orlesian countryside for months, but you'd never know it in Halamshiral. The nobles carry on as they always have, seemingly unaffected by the chaos surrounding them. You certainly won't hear the merchants complain about that, though. Not so long as the sovereigns continue to line their pockets.

So, with opposing forces engaged in battle outside the city walls, why has the Inquisition come to Halamshiral?

"The civil war is now at an impasse," explains level designer Chris Corfe. "The faction leaders are at a peace talk at the Winter Palace in Halamshiral, a magnificent Orlesian structure built on ancient elven grounds. The Inquisition is here to find and stop an assassin."

"We are about to attend a costume party," adds senior environment artist Ryan Love. "Get your mask on and your dancing shoes ready, but don't let your guard down. There's more to this party than meets the eye."

halamshiral-1-675.jpg

Though we've heard much about Orlais through Dragon Age lore, players will get their first chance to really get out there and explore it in Inquisition. Creating areas such as the Winter Palace in Halamshiral presented the team with an opportunity to flex some creative muscle.

"The cultural background of the Orlesians and the elves inspired the area," says Corfe. "From a layout perspective, the Winter Palace is inspired by old French palaces like Versailles. Writing, level design, cinematic design, and level art all had a hand in helping shape it."

"I think a lot of Halamshiral's inspiration comes from the world's most ornate and decorated places. Buckingham Palace was also used as inspiration," Love said. "Middle Eastern styles also influenced the building of this place."

"Our team of level artists really outdid themselves here," Corfe added.

halamshiral-2.jpg

Orlesian nobility has a reputation for enjoying the finer things, and the Winter Palace’s lavish architecture is no exception. What sets the look of this Orlesian gem apart from that of other areas players will visit in the game?

"There's a plethora of unique areas, but the main point of interest would be the ballroom," says Corfe. "Oh, and don't forget to check out the artwork in its ceiling."

"Ornate decorations, lots of gold, and over-the-top flair," Love added. "You may also notice the stark contrast between the gold-covered main areas of the palace and the servants' areas. This also speaks to the large wealth inequality within Orlais. In order to have this kind of excessive decoration, someone has to polish the brass."

The Winter Palace is quite the sight to behold, but of course, looks can be deceiving. Not all battles here are fought with staves and steel. In Halamshiral, politics can be even deadlier than the blade. The most effective weapons are typically rumor and scandal.

"Combat is not the main focus here," Corfe says. "Intrigue and social interactions rule the day, so the gameplay has unique elements. We still have some balancing to do, but I'd say it's shaping up nicely."

halamshiral-3.jpg

When it comes down to story, both Corfe and Love are a bit more tight-lipped. Although they are careful not to reveal any plot spoilers, they couldn't resist a little titillation.

"There is a nice chunk of content off the beaten path," admits Corfe. "And beware of the approval of the Imperial Court!"

"Make sure to search every dark corner of the place. You never know what you might find," Love confessed. "Also, always remember to be a good party guest. People won't take kindly to a guest snooping in their closets!"

Ridesh

Banned
I'm not familiar with game development, but, from what I know, reaching alpha 4 months before release isn't like really really tight?

Edit: Cameron Lee said that it's normal for BioWare.

I'm not familiar with game development, but, from whatt I know, reaching alpha 4 months before release isn't like really really tight?

I don't know how everyone else does it, but for BioWare, going Alpha means content complete. Everything except music is fully integrated I believe. They then go into Alpha where Menus and such are designed, then beta where the game is polished up and the bugs are ironed out

Some Nobody

I don't know how everyone else does it, but for BioWare, going Alpha means content complete. Everything except music is fully integrated I believe. They then go into Alpha where Menus and such are designed, then beta where the game is polished up and the bugs are ironed out

Menus shouldn't take too terribly long, but only three months to get the bugs out? Game would have to go gold early September, so...

Trigger

I'm not familiar with game development, but, from what I know, reaching alpha 4 months before release isn't like really really tight?

Edit: Cameron Lee said that it's normal for BioWare.

My first thought when reading that, but if that's normal then I'll trust Bioware.

SugarDave

Never quite fell in love with the Dragon Age lore the way I did Mass Effect's, but I have to say I'm optimistic about how this game will turn out. It sounds great.

Hopefully they don't have some kind of DLC exclusivity deal with Microsoft. I could live with it but I'd be worried about the same happening for the next Mass Effect. That would really piss me off.

Ridesh

Banned
Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones) is voicing a character of DA:I and BW recently showed a concept art of Celene, the empress of Orlais:

orlesian-civil-war-image1.jpg

It must be her.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Never quite fell in love with the Dragon Age lore the way I did Mass Effect's, but I have to say I'm optimistic about how this game will turn out. It sounds great.

Hopefully they don't have some kind of DLC exclusivity deal with Microsoft. I could live with it but I'd be worried about the same happening for the next Mass Effect. That would really piss me off.

Bioware games only do retailer exclusives. That is what you should fear, because it's probably going to happen. No one is cutting deals with MS.

Ridesh

Banned
Frostbite is one of the best things that EA (DICE) has done for their studios in recent years, at last they can reach their concept art quality:

Concept art:

10295531_10152415943954367_2473993764383126451_o.jpg

In-game:

1497981_10152415942399367_1686984166446350544_o.jpg

Jon Armdog

I'm still probably going with the PC version, given the controller support...but...I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about releasing it on Steam? I know that is pretty damn unlikely, but I just hate to have to use another platform. I have read that Origin is actually pretty decent in terms of interface and so forth, but the thought of not having my games in one list makes my OCD rage.

By the way, these screen shots are really amping up my excitement for this game. Great stuff.

I'm still probably going with the PC version, given the controller support...but...I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about releasing it on Steam? I know that is pretty damn unlikely, but I just hate to have to use another platform. I have read that Origin is actually pretty decent in terms of interface and so forth, but the thought of not having my games in one list makes my OCD rage.

By the way, these screen shots are really amping up my excitement for this game. Great stuff.

I'd say there's a 0% chance of a Steam release. Dragon Age II got taken off and they didn't bother releasing another version to abide by Steam's terms. Also, big name releases that are exclusive to Origin help get people to use it.

Renekton

Still kind of annoyed that it seems like we won't be going to Tevinter. That lace sounds far more interesting than Orlais.
They probably don't want to blow their load so soon. Tevinter sounds like the ultimate place where everything goes, so from exposition hype alone it can maybe carry a new DA trilogy.

Besides, without the cross-gen PS360 limitations, the designers can properly capture all the crazy shit that happens there.

huxley00

Looks pretty cool, I think its just hard to top the story and intrigue of the first game, they almost went too big initially. Regardless, I think they've learned their lesson after DA:2, will be interested to see the reviews!

Squire

Banned
The Fade is an awesome piece of the world. The issue was how they implemented in the gameplay. It doesn't need a gimmick. You should just progress through it the same way you would anywhere else.

Jabraham

I've never played DA2 and i was wondering how relevant is it. I own it but i can't get through the first twenty minutes or so. Should i push through or just ignore it.

I've never played DA2 and i was wondering how relevant is it. I own it but i can't get through the first twenty minutes or so. Should i push through or just ignore it.

While I like the game, If it doesn't grab you then you don't have to. Look up the plot synopsis on the wiki, as well as the character profiles and instead read both Asunder and the Masked Empire. Booth great book and more relevant to DAI

Top Bottom