• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition Launch Trailer (hot) and Release Date (October 7th)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The armor design is the only thing that really bothers me. They're mutated elves, orcs, etc so their armor should be reflective of that. Just tattered, rusted, and overall run down looking. Not all of the sudden rocking giant shoulder spikes like the Road Warriors

That's the thing though most Darkspawn are born Darkspawn. Most aren't actually former Dwarves/Elves/Humans/Qunari that were turned due to the taint. Most are born from the Broodmothers. So it makes sense that they have to make their own clothes and armor and weapons. I think there should be a clear distinction in design for Darkspawn that were born and those that were turned. My biggest gripe in DA2 with the Darkspawn was that there was a lack of diversity in design to them. There needs to be multiple models for each type or else you get the Putty Patrol comparisons due to the sameness of them.

Braag

That's the thing though most Darkspawn are born Darkspawn. Most aren't actually former Dwarves/Elves/Humans/Qunari that were turned due to the taint. Most are born from the Broodmothers. So it makes sense that they have to make their own clothes and armor and weapons. I think there should be a clear distinction in design for Darkspawn that were born and those that were turned. My biggest gripe in DA2 with the Darkspawn was that there was a lack of diversity in design to them. There needs to be multiple models for each type or else you get the Putty Patrol comparisons due to the sameness of them.

The Darkspawn weren't the "main" enemy in DA2 like in DAO so there was less variation. I believe there were just Hurlocks, Emissaries and Ogres.
The Legacy DLC added Genlocks, Genlock Alphas and Hurlock Alphas which looked like that big guy in the picture.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The Darkspawn weren't the "main" enemy in DA2 like in DAO so there was less variation. I believe there were just Hurlocks, Emissaries and Ogres.
The Legacy DLC added Genlocks, Genlock Alphas and Hurlock Alphas which looked like that big guy in the picture.

Legacy was great. I hope that even though the Darkspawn will likely again play a minor role in DAI that with the extended dev time, especially compared to DA2, they'll have good variety among the enemy models.

Silexx

I'm a little confused about what people are complaining about regarding romance options. Is that there are no romance options or just that there aren't as many as people were expecting?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm a little confused about what people are complaining about regarding romance options. Is that there are no romance options or just that there aren't as many as people were expecting?

Both, some hate they exist in the first place, others want to be able to romance any and everyone. BioWare seems to be limiting or at least not going the ME route of bang everyone you talk to approach and are keeping it to 4 or so like DA/DA2, along with establishing set sexual orientations for companions and NPCs and not having them be player sexual.

Patryn

Both, some hate they exist in the first place, others want to be able to romance any and everyone. BioWare seems to be limiting or at least not going the ME route of bang everyone you talk to approach and are keeping it to 4 or so like DA/DA2, along with establishing set sexual orientations for companions and NPCs and not having them be player sexual.

Yep. The basic three camps: No romances at all, romance literally anyone regardless of player gender, and those who want romance but would prefer it if not every single character was bisexual.

This seems like the ideal route to me. I've always hated the notion of the whole world's sexuality bending to your whims. Just give everyone at least one option to experience that avenue of gameplay if they choose to and that's all you need.

I see we're moving right to GoT from LOTR for design influence.

Because since when have Genlocks been zombies?
The smaller creature in the picture doesn't have the proportions of a Genlock. They both look like Hurlocks to me. Perhaps they're an alpha/beta specimen respectively.

Silexx

OK, so they are in fact keeping the magical "4" number for romances as it was with the previous two. This is fine by me.

Thanks for the info.

Sothpaw

The fuck is with the rolling? No one is going to roll in full plate armor. Took it from the DS games I guess. Hopefully you can still set your guys to auto attack.

Oh also good to hear that they are toning down the romances. Bio was getting out of hand.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
OK, so they are in fact keeping the magical "4" number for romances as it was with the previous two. This is fine by me.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe 4. We don't know yet the final numbers. We do know of two definite romance options with Cassandra and Cullen, beyond that we don't know who else or how many more. A lot of people want 6 total. 2 straight, 2 gay and 2 bi. I think that's a bit excessive and 4 should be the max.

As well I personally want romancing to be hard to do and requires the player to really work to get with a character and then stay with them. BioWare games have been a bit too basic in how they handle them with basically do X and they'll love you and do Y and they won't. Jack from ME is a somewhat good example of a hard romance, you can easily fuck it up and she'll hate you and there's nothing you can do.

I also hope that most if not all characters allow for false leads like they did in DA2 with Aveline. I wish they didn't tell us who was romanceable and people just went out and tried to get with one of the NPCs or companions and not know whether there's a payoff or not, like how relationships really work.

Sothpaw

Maybe 4. We don't know yet the final numbers. We do know of two definite romance options with Cassandra and Cullen, beyond that we don't know who else or how many more. A lot of people want 6 total. 2 straight, 2 gay and 2 bi. I think that's a bit excessive and 4 should be 6 max.

So out of 6 total people want 4 lgbt? I would rather it mirror our world and offer more of a DAO composition. Actually I would prefer no romance and just have casual sex. Maybe one companion gets attached and you have the option to tell her it was just for fun.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So out of 6 total people want 4 lgbt? I would rather it mirror our world and offer more of a DAO composition.

Well DAO was 4 total, 2 straight and 2 bi(or playersexual I don't remember). So that wasn't exactly natural. My only problem with 6 is that it would require a lot of writing to do it well and how I want it to be more difficult and involved and not just ticking a couple boxes till sexy time like they have been.

Sothpaw

Well DAO was 4 total, 2 straight and 2 bi(or playersexual I don't remember). So that wasn't exactly natural. My only problem with 6 is that it would require a lot of writing to do it well and how I want it to be more difficult and involved and not just ticking a couple boxes till sexy time like they have been.

Oh there were 2 in DAO huh I must have missed that. I know the rogue (Zehvran?) was one but I can't place the other. I know it wasn't Morrigan because of her story...

And yes I completely agree. Fewer romances but if they must be in then at least make them interesting. And let me cheat on them too.

Tex117

Banned
The only one that seemed to make sense contextually, is the Morigan
fake
romance due to reasons revealed near the end of the game.

Easily the best Romance in a game that was player controlled. It made sense contextually, it added to the story in a very meaningful way...It really was a "relationship" done right in a "video game."

One of these days, a developer will get this right...Oh, wait...they already kinda did...and it was them with Baldurs Gate 2. Oh well.

Most times in video games...relationships are done like how a 13 year old would describe them....You talk...you say the right things...you get a cringe worthy cut scene. Then that's about it.

I was watching the launch trailer again and paused the final table frame for a few good minutes. There were 13 people (12 if you exclude the protagonist) but BW said there are only 9 companions. So is it safe to assume that
Cullen, Leiliana and Fenris(?)
are temporary companions?

Anyway regarding the romance options I can take a guess at the 3/9 who won't be available for romance:- Varric (buddy role), Iron Bull (old mentor role) and... okay the third person is a mystery to me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I was watching the launch trailer again and paused the final table frame for a few good minutes. There were 13 people (12 if you exclude the protagonist) but BW said there are only 9 companions. So is it safe to assume that
Cullen, Leiliana and Fenris(?)
are temporary companions?

Anyway regarding the romance options I can take a guess at the 3/9 who won't be available for romance:- Varric (buddy role), Iron Bull (old mentor role) and... okay the third person is a mystery to me.

Cullen/Leliana/Scribe Girl are most likely advisors. Whether they'll be temp companions at some point remains to be seen, but their main function will likely be assisting you in running the Inquisition and focusing your resources into Military/Espionage/Economic means.

big_erk

historyofworld1.jpg

Whatever we were before, we are now the INQUISITION.

"The Inquistion, what a show
The Inquistion, here we go
We know you're wishing
That we'd go away
But the Inquistion's here and it's here to stay!"

You think a Quarian will be an old mentor role? He's the Sten/Wrex/Grunt of the group. They'll use the Mage male for that.
The Quarian looks like a wise dude but yeah you're probably right. He's the bruiser so that means the bald elf mage is the old wise mentor dude then I guess we have our third speculative non-romanceable party member.

Cullen/Leliana/Scribe Girl are most likely advisors. Whether they'll be temp companions at some point remains to be seen, but their main function will likely be assisting you in running the Inquisition and focusing your resources into Military/Espionage/Economic means.
Who is the scribe girl? So I guess Fenris is another returning party member from DA2 then? It doesn't look like a new person to me (the white haired due standing next to Varric).

Goldrush

Personally, I preferred two bi, a male and a female, for romance. With options, Bioware will likely designate two as the "default" with 3x the contents of the other love interests. It would suck for a gay MC to be stuck with the leftovers whose "relationship" are rarely mention and extraneous to the plot. *cough*Dragon Age*cough*

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Who is the scribe girl? So I guess Fenris is another returning party member from DA2 then? It doesn't look like a new person to me (the white haired due standing next to Varric).

Don't know where you're seeing Fenris in there, I think you're confusing the new Mage Solas with him, but Scribe Girl is the girl on the right.

I made this mockup of character on what people are speculating who is who and their role.

Trigger

You think a Quarian will be an old mentor role? He's the Sten/Wrex/Grunt of the group. They'll use the Mage male for that.

Wrong Bioware game. :p

I think he will more or less be the Wrex of the group though. Tough guy with a mysterious past and love of violence.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Goddamn looking at the group shot again reminds me how creepy tiny Iron Bull's head is. Just look at it compared to the Grey Warden or even Dorian next to him. So teeny.

Don't know where you're seeing Fenris in there, I think you're confusing the new Mage Solas with him, but Scribe Girl is the girl on the right.

I made this mockup of character on what people are speculating who is who and their role.
That's cool, thanks for the image! I was actually mistaking Cole for Fenris but seeing as how he has daggers behind his back makes me feel silly for thinking that way especially since Fenris was a two-handed swords-elf.

Sothpaw

Well party chosen. Vivivenne mage, Cole rogue and Iron Bull dps with my character as a Dwarven axe and shield tank. So long as they're not total shit heads like Anders.

Wish there were a proper dwarf tank npc but oh well.

Ridesh

Banned
I usually have some marked favorites in BioWare's games (Garrus & Wrex in ME1, Thane & Legion in ME2, Garrus & Javik in ME3, Alistair, Morrigan and Sten in DA:O)...

But I'm actually liking almost all the companions in Inquisition, I guess that the ones I will use the less are Varric and Cassandra, I'm liking Sera more than Varric and The Iron Bull & The Warden more than Cassandra.

Sera, Dorian & The Iron Bull are my favourites at first glance.

Silexx

Maybe 4. We don't know yet the final numbers. We do know of two definite romance options with Cassandra and Cullen, beyond that we don't know who else or how many more. A lot of people want 6 total. 2 straight, 2 gay and 2 bi. I think that's a bit excessive and 4 should be the max.

As well I personally want romancing to be hard to do and requires the player to really work to get with a character and then stay with them. BioWare games have been a bit too basic in how they handle them with basically do X and they'll love you and do Y and they won't. Jack from ME is a somewhat good example of a hard romance, you can easily fuck it up and she'll hate you and there's nothing you can do.

I also hope that most if not all characters allow for false leads like they did in DA2 with Aveline. I wish they didn't tell us who was romanceable and people just went out and tried to get with one of the NPCs or companions and not know whether there's a payoff or not, like how relationships really work.

I'm with you. I also want a bit of development within the relationship instead of sex being the end goal. DA2 was actually not too bad in that regard.

It doesn't have to be anything too elaborate, like one thing that I think would be cool to see would be your romance partner to become your "confidant" or advisor when making certain decisions. Like they could add a bit more insight and steer the player toward a certain choice based on their own beliefs and personality. Doesn't need to have any real consequences but it would be a nice touch.

Braag

Man the Inquisitor is hardcore. He wears a heavy steel helmet at all times. Even indoors while they're planning their next move on the map.
That's like if Shepard gave the final speech in ME2 in the comm room to his crew while wearing his huge helmet.

daaamn

this game looks sweet as hell! how have i not seen this yet?! the art design on show here is absolutely crazy. love it.

if this game were Watch_DragonAge said:
the only thing I have to say about this trailer at all is... i noticed some shoddy geometry at one point in the video and i'm going to display a creepy fixation on it and post screenshots of that exact moment from here on forth. ugh. so bad

I usually have some marked favorites in BioWare's games (Garrus & Wrex in ME1, Thane & Legion in ME2, Garrus & Javik in ME3, Alistair, Morrigan and Sten in DA:O)...

But I'm actually liking almost all the companions in Inquisition, I guess that the ones I will use the less are Varric and Cassandra, I'm liking Sera more than Varric and The Iron Bull & The Warden more than Cassandra.

Sera, Dorian & The Iron Bull are my favourites at first glance.

Those are the ones I like the most.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think I'm going to rock with Sera, Cassandra and Dorian(if he is a suave badass) and then I'll mix it up with Varric, Vivienne and Grey Warden and occasionally take Solas and Iron Bull and Cole as my C team.

Ridesh

Banned
Aaryn Flynn ‏@AarynFlynn

That's not a dragon @Xbox @Cameron__Lee @GeekyFriedRice - THIS is a @dragonage dragon! #E3

Bny2zTcIEAEyBNI.jpg

Demo at the MS conference I guess?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So does our past saves from the previous two games affect this new game at all?

No and yes. They created a web based program The Dragon Age Keep where you get to create a world instance to import in to the game. You'll choose all your past game decisions and outcomes there. It will work across platforms and be used for future games it seems. They're looking into whether actual saves can be imported into the Keep but no promises.

Yeah, the concept art from the previous page just concept art from the Hurlock Alpha in the Legacy DLC. The other one seems new or at least previously unreleased.

I agree though- my qualm with the DA2 darkspawn was that they all looked the same. I kind of get what they were going for, with the ragged armor and so forth but that whole concept blows up in your face when every single hurlock has the exact same looking ragged armor, right down to little identical details. It stops looking like patched together armor at that point and just looks like a copy/paste army.

Didn't really care for the darkspawn overall in DA2 though. Like you said, there should be a clear delineation between true born darkspawn and ghouls- the people that have just been exposed to the blight. Make the trueborn darkspawn look more alien and not just like diseased humans/dwarfs/qunari/elves, maybe like some middle ground between DA2 and Origins. I felt like the DA2 darkspawn ended up looking too much like mutated/diseased versions of the original races, not creatures born from a broodmother.

Although, I really wish the darkspawn would get back to the more intelligent ones that you had in Awakening. Leaving the darkspawn as this brain dead force of nature sort of enemy is boring. They were actually sort of interesting in Awakening with the intelligent ones plus the Architect and the Mother.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Although, I really wish the darkspawn would get back to the more intelligent ones that you had in Awakening. Leaving the darkspawn as this brain dead force of nature sort of enemy is boring. They were actually sort of interesting in Awakening with the intelligent ones plus the Architect and the Mother.

I'm sure we'll see some new chapter in the Darkspawn and likes of the Architect/Corypheus, since even though the game appears to be focused on demons and the veil tear; Darkspawn were born of the Fade and the Black City. So I can't see how a tear in the veil directly connecting the Fade to the material world would not somehow affect and include the Darkspawn in some way.

I'm sure we'll see some new chapter in the Darkspawn and likes of the Architect/Corypheus, since even though the game appears to be focused on demons and the veil tear; Darkspawn were born of the Fade and the Black City. So I can't see how a tear in the veil directly connecting the Fade to the material world would not somehow affect and include the Darkspawn in some way.

Yeah, especially with how we'll have a Warden companion and the shady way Corypheus probably took over at least some of the Wardens.

LuchaShaq

Banned
After how atrocious the endings of Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were I expect this game to be enjoyable until the last 10% of the game where bioware for the third time in a row will tell you to open wide and then spew liquid shit into our mouths.

Would be much more interesting if it wasn't cross gen.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The combat better be like Dragon Age 1.

It's a mix of both from what they've said. They're aiming for the tactics and strategic depth of DAO and the more responsive and slightly faster pace of DA2. As well as allowing those who want to just control one character to do so while allowing for others who want to pause and play and manage their whole party to do so also. Kind of a tall order.

Top Bottom