• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Frieza was surprisingly badass.

Makes no sense that he's want to jump ship to Universe 9, though, co soldering his only interaction with them has been. super weak minions.
I think he just wanted to screw over his own universe and is probably hoping they have have better fighters on their teams.

Gohan went toe to toe with Goku until Goku busted out Blue Kaioken.

Better?

If you believe that, why did you put Vegeta above Gohan tho?
I mean, Gohan's strength has been shown. 17 has shown just as much strength with the caveat that he was holding back. 17 could be anywhere in the top 4 right now. But at the very least, I think he's been shown to be stronger than Gohan.

Nightbird

After Gohan begged a like little boy for daddy to go all out. So not really proving your point.

Maybe his plan was to first join a different team, and then convince Zeno to allow killing, so he could kill Goku in front of his friends before killing them (or the other way around)

Damn that was a good episode. Animation was great, and Frieza was actually pretty menacing. Goku stupid as usual.

I want to point out, the guys Frieza killed will most likely go to earth's/U7s afterlife. Thus, they get to continue existing if their universe gets erased.
So, Goku was the ruthless one I'd say.

Skeeter49

Makes no sense that he's want to jump ship to Universe 9, though, co soldering his only interaction with them has been. super weak minions.

I'm confused if he intended to join that universe or not. It seemed like he might have been testing a gods limits with this tournament, how far he could push them to get what he wants.

This was an intel run for Frieza.

ezodagrom

I'm confused if he intended to join that universe or not. It seemed like he might have been testing a gods limits with this tournament, how far he could push them to get what he wants.

This was an intel run for Frieza.
Yeah, I think so too, I don't think he actually considered joining their universe at all.

longdi

Banned
Freeza probably saw goku as his only threat, and he wanted to be revive. So he tried to strike a bargain with u9 god. Which means freeza have surpassed vegeta blue.

In terms of power creep, i still think 17 makes no sense. He has no monster genes, just a creation by a earth ningen, no indication he was OP in the cell saga. He is making piccolo look like a genetic failure..

HeroR

Freeza probably saw goku as his only threat, and he wanted to be revive. So he tried to strike a bargain with u9 god. Which means freeza have surpassed vegeta blue.

In terms of power creep, i still think 17 makes no sense. He has no monster genes, just a creation by a earth ningen, no indication he was OP in the cell saga. He is making piccolo look like a genetic failure..

17 was stronger than Super Saiyans who trained for years for them and he fought evenly with Piccolo who merged with the god of the Earth. So 'He has no monster genes, just a creation by a earth ningen, no indication he was OP in the Cell Saga' is factually untrue.

I-hate-u

If you believe that, why did you put Vegeta above Gohan tho?
I mean, Gohan's strength has been shown. 17 has shown just as much strength with the caveat that he was holding back. 17 could be anywhere in the top 4 right now. But at the very least, I think he's been shown to be stronger than Gohan.

When discussing the possibility of Freeza's betrayel, Goku said either him or Vegeta can take care of him if he does so, indicating who are the strongest 2 in the group.

Of course, that's before Freeza's power-up shown in this episode.

Tsunamo

Great episode again. Super's been on a roll lately.

I'm suprised they opted for the Animes Yadrat design instead of going for the Dragon Ball Online design we got (which I think was from Toriyama) I'm loving that consistency with the anime. I look forward to seeing if Goku and him have some interactions.

Slaythe

When discussing the possibility of Freeza's betrayel, Goku said either him or Vegeta can take care of him if he does so, indicating who are the strongest 2 in the group.

Of course, that's before Freeza's power-up shown in this episode.

You do realize he can't feel 17's power right ?

He literally can't tell where 17 is.

Karsha

No one mentions that Goku cold have died this episode? What, he was refusing to go blue kaioken to save himself from the hakai energy or they were hinting that Frieza is stronger? That scene kinda pissed me off, they made it look that Goku was dead if Beerus didn't show up

DCkRiknUwAEhqBn.jpg

sirap

No one mentions that Goku cold have died this episode? What, he was refusing to go blue kaioken to save himself from the hakai energy or they were hinting that Frieza is stronger? That scene kinda pissed me off, they made it look that Goku was dead if Beerus didn't show up

Turning blue requires immense concentration, even more so with kaioken. Goku got caught off guard and never got the chance to go Super Saiyan.

It's a callback to Goku's weakness from RoF. He leaves himself open to backstabs.

Turning blue requires immense concentration, even more so with kaioken. Goku got caught off guard and never got the chance to go Super Saiyan.

It's a callback to Goku's weakness from RoF. He leaves himself open to backstabs.
should've learned his lesson back when he got knocked out by Majin Vegeta

Slaythe

I don't see what's wrong with 4 epic episodes of a tournament with great pacing.

Rather than 18 ones that keep dragging.

It's not like the story is gonna end as soon as that's over. What's next will be just as interesting.

I-hate-u

You do realize he can't feel 17's power right ?

He literally can't tell where 17 is.

That's a good point. Still, Gohan got his power and battle sense back in less than 1 episode , while it took 17 10 years fighting poachers to get to a level to challenge current Goku.

This whole power ranking is stupid in Super, I am sorry I started it.

Deadly

Any thoughts on the GoD energy being used for the new power up? Coloring seems to match from that scene in the OP

Style

Banned
Hit wasn't shown in the NEP. Is he going to hide in his pocket dimension throughout the first half of the tournament?

RocknRola

Hit wasn't shown in the NEP. Is he going to hide in his pocket dimension throughout the first half of the tournament?

Not being shown =/= not being there or even being inactive. They just focused on the new characters to generate some more hype.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yeah, that was fantastic. Totally wanted Frieza to go, "omae wa mo shindieru." Made Ken proud there.

But yeah, Frieza still best baddie.

That's only because he's the one in the spotlight. Buu has become a sleeping, eating companion for Hercule and Cell is nowhere to be seen. I wish Cell was brought back as well and him and Frieza just schemed and plotted shit.

On a different note, as everyone else has said the power levels in here are stupid. Goku has been fighting dudes from other universes and gaining power but Frieza runs fighting scenarios in his mind and didn't use his golden form in Hell and now he's an even match for Goku? Bullshit. It trivializes Gohan, Vegetable and 17. Oh well, I'm excited for the next arc. Jiren is the only thing I'm looking forward to in this one, now... And Goku's new form.

Spoilering this because I can't remember if it was a leak or something said in the show
Was it said that people get immediately erased when knocked off the staged?

SaviourMK2

I'm expecting there to be a part during the tournament where Frieza can just keep swapping allegiances during the actual tournament (The tournament style must be Battle Royal for a reason).

Frieza is so getting redeemed after this tournament. They're taking so much steps making him likable, it can't be innocent. Now he's a "villain you love to hate", then eventually he will have become a "villain you love" and then ultimately just a "character you love". Toei are clever bastards, they know exactly what they are doing...

That's only because he's the one in the spotlight. Buu has become a sleeping, eating companion for Hercule and Cell is nowhere to be seen. I wish Cell was brought back as well and him and Frieza just schemed and plotted shit.

On a different note, as everyone else has said the power levels in here are stupid. Goku has been fighting dudes from other universes and gaining power but Frieza runs fighting scenarios in his mind and didn't use his golden form in Hell and now he's an even match for Goku? Bullshit. It trivializes Gohan, Vegetable and 17. Oh well, I'm excited for the next arc. Jiren is the only thing I'm looking forward to in this one, now... And Goku's new form.
Nah, I appreciate how sinister they keep him.

Frieza is so getting redeemed after this tournament. They're taking so much steps making him likable, it can't be innocent. Now he's a "villain you love to hate", then eventually he will have become a "villain you love" and then ultimately just a "character you love". Toei are clever bastards, they know exactly what they are doing...

You people with this oppinion are insane. This episode was completely to show Frieza is unforgiveable. I don't even see where there's room for reinterpretation.
'he totally wasn't serious about switching teams guys'?
This faceturn boner is too massive.

How? They've taken steps to show that Freeza has not changed and would have killed goku if he had the chance.

Unless this is sarcasm and it's completely going over my head. If so then... I need to understand sarcasm more.

I don't know I can't help but feel like Freeza is going toe-totoe with Goku due to the fact that all Freeza did in hell was learn about Goku. He visualised his fight style and the many ways to kill him. In the actual tournament Freeza would probably loose to Toppo since Goku had to go Kaioken Blue against him.

Tamanon

Banned
Spoilering this because I can't remember if it was a leak or something said in the show
Was it said that people get immediately erased when knocked off the staged?

Yeah that was brought up before. It's a weird thing when killing isn't allowed.

Makes sense it was false.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think I can finally put into words what I don't like about Golden Frieza's design (aside from the fact that I find the yellow/purple color combination to be absolutely lame and ugly):

1) The colors are inconsistent with his previous forms: Frieza's character design has always been about white and purple. From his first form to his final form, white has always been very prevalent. There were other colors too (black horns, brown armor, pink skin on his limbs), but those two colors were consistently there. Same goes for General Cold, Kula and Frost. White is at the core of who Frieza is. It connotes purity, refinement, and, well, cold, so a Frieza design without it is weird.

2) Frieza is not a Super Saiyan: having the same color-coding across heroes and villains is stupid if you ask me. Yeah, gold/yellow means powerful, we get it, but the golden form feels like the designers went "how do we make him an SSJ without adding hair?" It's just unimaginative and lazy. But it's a fairly minor point.

3) It misses the point of Frieza's design: the "golden" part of Golden Frieza is only part of the story. The other big difference with his final form is that he is bulkier/musclier and looks more... manly, I guess? The SSJ3-style brow over the eyes is what sells the manliness. But Frieza is not, and was never supposed to be manly or buff. His whole point is that he is small, lean, refined, androgynous and well-mannered. His first form had him spend his time in a hovering pod holding a glass of wine. His second and third forms are a huge departure from that, but a) they're transitional, b) they're only a set-up for his final form, which shockingly goes back to the refined androgyny. Remember when Krillin was trying to imagine what his final form looked like, and he could only imagine a more ridiculous version of his third form. And when Frieza went 100% with a really buff body, that only served to show how desperate he was - much like Zarbon when he transformed against Vegeta. 100% Frieza made sense from a narrative standpoint, because it showed that Frieza was trying too hard in a fight he had no hopes of winning. But people usually don't represent him in his 100% form, because he just looks like a tryhard in that form.

The point is: by making Frieza musclier, manlier and more tacky (because of the gold), Toei has made him look cheaper and too different from his original design. Granted, I'm talking like he's even more buff than 100% Frieza. He isn't, thankfully. Golden Frieza is a lazy design, but the designers showed some restraint at least. It could have been worse. They didn't go overboard and make him super buff or tall or busy, but I wish he would look more androgynous and refined still. In fact, I think it even bleeds into his personality in Super. He's just a bit too wild for my taste, though it's partly motivated by the fact that he's been trapped in hell and he needs to get that out of his system I guess.

NeonZ

You people with this oppinion are insane. This episode was completely to show Frieza is unforgiveable. I don't even see where there's room for reinterpretation.
'he totally wasn't serious about switching teams guys'?
This faceturn boner is too massive.

Vegeta killed an entire village of innocent Namekians in the arc that was meant to make him join the main cast. The whole point of Freeza right now is how tense working with him is.

Protome

It kinda seemed like he had two intentions with that conversation

1) Find out to what extent he can manipulate gods.
2) Find a way to be revived before the tournament.

Whether he would have actually joined U9 or not is somewhat irrelevant, he is desperate to survive like everyone else who isn't Goku in this arc.

I also think it's kinda weird that we haven't seen Vegeta do anything at all this arc. I wonder if he's going to do something super impressive in the tournament or if he really is just being sidelined for the rest of the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom