• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Did I read wrong that the NX version is only under consideration? The same with the DQ10.
yeah, that's the official word, console is in development after all. Scheduling, marketing, etc...may change things, but it's obvious they still want to work closely with Nintendo with the great success of there portable handhelds.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Did I read wrong that the NX version is only under consideration? The same with the DQ10.
They initially announced it as coming to NX but since the NX doesn't "officially" exist yet they are backing away from the announcement and they are merely considering the release on NX now.

So adding the up on the list Square-Enix has the following titles coming to PS4:

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Final Fantasy 7 (PC Port)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Project Setsuna
Hitman
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Just Cause 3
Final Fantasy XIV Updates (An unidentified amount of content will continue to make it's way to the game).

I got to say I'm very impressed with the output they have coming to the PS4 so far.
Yup this generation looks a lot better already.

AgeEighty

This will probably be my first DQ game.

Though I did always want to play 8(?) on the PS2. Should I? Or just wait for 11?

You should. It's a fantastic RPG, with great characters, top quality voice acting and an excellent symphonic soundtrack. It's even got widescreen support.

This did it for me

egyVXhp.gif

Now, if the rumors about the NX are true, and it's a portable yet a home console, it could have the same feature. Love this dual screen madness!! Want it so bad!

This may finally be what was originally promised for dual screen gaming. This and Star Fox are like the culmination of what was promised back in 2004. And watch them ditch it w/ NX. haha

kollapse

Neo Member
When it's out, I feel like it would be cool to play through the 3DS game entirely paying attention to only 2D (blocking the top screen or something if possible), then replaying in 3D. It's like the game has its own modern remaster built in. I can't get over how cool an idea this is. In fact, they should include an option to block out one view entirely for a play through.

Ughhhh I can't believe how real the thirst is for these games already; it's going to be a long year.

I wonder how many times people have already made that list with the SE announcements =P

Either way, I like the MC design, it looks different from other protagonists (at least the ones I know about).

I wish they would have shown some battles on the PS4 though, it looked so good on the 3DS.

The first two years for both are in the meh to ok output. Overall last gen was barren and a shitshow, SE's entire lineup alone of what's been announced is better than all jRPGs put together from every studio last gen.

Blue Dragon and the Last remnant is one of my favorite RPGs :(
Tales of vesperia is one of the best tales games too.
Crystal bearers is subjective but i liked it. The list i used actually contains some of my favorite games :(

I am going to replay Blue Dragon now :(

EDIT just reread
And you are comparing the entire last gen !? I haven even start to add tales of grace , Xenoblade etc .

You and i have a totally different taste in JRPG and i consider my taste varied too :(

Not reason to be, DQH has real time combat covered. XI should be turn based.

Not to mention DQ is all about oldschoolness. Say, DQVIII even had a virtual instrument OST in Japan as opposed to a real orchestra.

I don't think they'll change core gameplay, they just made the monsters appear on the map (as seen in the 3DS version as well, where combat goes turn based anyways)

Arkeband

Banned
Narrative tool? I am not sure I understand this. Every single protagonist in entire Dragon Quest games dating back to the very first one was a silent protagonist. As in their personality was a blank slate and entirely on the basis of their facial emotions and reactions. There was no dialog to support a specific identity to associate with them. Having a unique design is one thing, but it definitely wasn't for the sake of narration.

A strong visual identity is important for storytelling. Do you think Cloud would be Cloud if he was the equivalent of a Gaia Online avatar? His spiky blond hair and mako eyes are a contrast to the characters surrounding him - would the story even make sense if he looked like Krillin?

Faces, color schemes, hairstyles, clothing, mannerisms, these are important pieces of characterization, which are narrative tools.

DQ5's hero needed to look rough around the edges due to his troubled childhood. DQ6 needed to be a prettyboy because he's a prince. DQ7's needed to be kind of a derpy country bumpkin. This falls apart when you give the player a character creater and say 'have at it'.

I have to say, the use of the second screen is actually really clever.

But goddamn, finally, DQ is out of the gaming ghetto. Been 10 long-ass years.

Agreed on both. That 3DS thing is really neat.

Yup, I may even get both, but the PS4 version is what I've been waiting for since DQ8!

Should I be scared that the PS4 version will not be turn based?

Because I am scared.

Yuji Horii said:
(About action combat like Dragon Quest Heroes) "No, Dragon Quest 11 will return to the roots of Dragon Quest. Another action RPG would be like Heroes, and we want to distinguish between the two."

And of course they want to avoid a situation like DQIX.

So adding the up on the list Square-Enix has the following titles coming to PS4:

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Final Fantasy 7 (PC Port)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Project Setsuna
Hitman
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Just Cause 3
Final Fantasy XIV Updates (An unidentified amount of content will continue to make it's way to the game).

I got to say I'm very impressed with the output they have coming to the PS4 so far.

I owned every home console last gen. I look at that list and I feel confident that I could go through this gen owning only one.

Whatever's easiest on my wallet I suppose.

Not to mention DQ is all about oldschoolness. Say, DQVIII even had a virtual instrument OST in Japan as opposed to a real orchestra.

I don't think they'll change core gameplay, they just made the monsters appear on the map (as seen in the 3DS version as well, where combat goes turn based anyways)

Agreed, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Also, didn't someone post a quote from Horii like a month ago or something where he said something along the lines of it were an action or realtime game then it'd be with DQ Heroes as a way of saying they will be keeping the two distinctly different without directly talking about DQXI since it wasn't announced yet?

Shouta

Having slept on it a little my only reservation with this PS4/3DS setup is them not including the extra elements that made DQVIII an extra special game which was presentation and main characters that had personality to back up the player. Hopefully they can capture this, especially for the PS4 version like they did with DQVIII and DQX. DQIX was probably the least enjoyable DQ game to me and definitely the worst out of the last few mainline games.

Random encounter in the bottom screen, visible encounter in the top screen. Wut

they are linked lol. you can see what you are about to encounter at the top but can't at the bottom. " new school " game at the top, classic looking DQ at the bottom.

pretty damn clever really. most clever thing I've seen on the system yet. gives me an itch to get one just for this. But ...

SuomiDude

Could be my first Dragon Quest game I'll buy. I have DQ IX on DS which my little brother bought, but I haven't played it. But if DQ XI comes to NX (whatever the system will be), I'll buy it for that.

RangerBAD

Having slept on it a little my only reservation with this PS4/3DS setup is them not including the extra elements that made DQVIII an extra special game which was presentation and main characters that had personality to back up the player. Hopefully they can capture this, especially for the PS4 version like they did with DQVIII and DQX. DQIX was probably the least enjoyable DQ game to me and definitely the worst out of the last few mainline games.

Yeah, I need to know more about that too. There's the makings of something great there, but they could botch that pretty easily. I'm excited nonetheless.

prwxv3

I know that some people don't care for the MMO but its existence means that there is little reason to add multiplayer stuff into DQ11. Honestly that stuff really gutted DQ9 (though i still enjoyed it) for me in terms of the party members, story, ect.

RyoonZ

Banned

Definitely agree with this

Agreed, we'll have to see once they show more and the rest of the characters.

4Tran

This did it for me

egyVXhp.gif

Now, if the rumors about the NX are true, and it's a portable yet a home console, it could have the same feature. Love this dual screen madness!! Want it so bad!
Maybe it's because I don't have any history with 8-bit/16-bit JRPGs, but I think that the way the character moves in different planes is distracting rather than looking good.

DQIX was probably the least enjoyable DQ game to me and definitely the worst out of the last few mainline games.

Yup.

Having no scripted party members really hurt the game for me. You only had interplay with the fairy.

I still remember the first time you come back from heaven, your custom-created party are just waiting for you there like nothing happened. Also didn't help that the scenario was one of the weakest Horii has done. It's a shame because mechanically it was my favourite DQ yet. :/

Has Nintendo really inspired that much confidence in you?

I'm going to buy Nintendo systems for there first party games anyway, and I don't plan on buying a ps4, this can act as a a way for me to play this, I'm going to double dip as I love what they are doing with the dual screens on 3ds

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Well its obviously going to be a tentative announcement under consideration considering the thing wont be announced till next year.

Banking your successes or investments on something like that i think would be flawed, considering the fanbase doesn't even know what it is.

Top Bottom