• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Hold me duckroll. hold me someone. hold me tight.

We might as well nickname the PS4 SSGSS

Jigolo

the DQ series is one of my favorite series ever, but its is finally dawning on me, how many DQ games is coming in the next 1-2 years, and frankly I am overwhelmed right now. If I have the count correctly...

DQ Heroes
DQ Heroes 2
DQM Jokers 3
DQ Builder
DQ of the Stars
DQ 10
DQ 11 PS4
DQ 11 3DS

and I feel it in my guts, these are coming stateside eventually

DQ 8 3DS
DQ 7 3DS

This is just a crazy amount of DQ. Im seriously conflicted, if I should be happy or sad.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

RPGamer92

Banned
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Whenever someone says the PS4 and XB1 are the same, that person should be shown this list from now on.

Zetta

This makes me incredibly happy. Its been so long since I felt joy in knowing what was coming from SE, its like someone at Se decided to cave and just give everyone what they wanted. I'm getting both version if they ever make it over and will probably get it on the NX as well. Today has been a very good day. Also that list from M.Night is just too good and shows the bright future we have ahead.

Wow at the visuals on the PS4 version. Looks amazing. I love the old school, 2d RPG version on the 3ds bottom screen. That's a really cool feature. Wow at NX.

Go_Ly_Dow

I mean look at KH3 for example. Since switching to UE4 we're finally ready to hear about the game within quick succession already after E3.

I suppose the problem with UE4 was that it was hard to predict just how good it would be.

UE3's results were pretty bad for Japanese devs and that was also down to the console hardware last gen too.

You can't blame them really for wanting to take a better crack and developing a competent internal engine and not predicting just how good UE4 would be! I'm sure they would have loved that foresight!

Shouta

Link? The 3DS demo was a stage demo, the PS4 demo looked like something they show behind closed doors.

The PS4 version is more complex so it's not really a surprise they didn't have all of the NPCs and all that stuff ready for the presentation. The 3DS version reuses assets so they have more time to setup a proper demo for the stage demonstration.

It really doesn't speak to how far the projects are along, just that it's probably more difficult to get something put together when you're doing stuff in HD, from scratch, and having to deal with complex environments, lol.

Oxn

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Im looking at this list and everyone seems to be forgetting about Saga for Vita.

Wynnebeck

Banned
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Zch2AWwh.jpg

Whenever someone says the PS4 and XB1 are the same, that person should be shown this list from now on.

YEah I see people posting that from time to time, that's only true if you have a narrow minded view where only Big AAA games mater. One of the reasons I go Playstation is that japanese support, and more unique titles imo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I suppose the problem with UE4 was that it was hard to predict just how good it would be.

UE3's results were pretty bad for Japanese devs and that was also down to the console hardware last gen too.

You can't blame them really for wanting to take a better crack and developing a competent internal engine and not predicting just how good UE4 would be! I'm sure they would have loved that foresight!

Luminous Engine is a mess. The writing was on the wall when the guy in charge of it suddenly left along with the global technology director.

KingBroly

Banned
It's a done deal because the PS4 version wouldn't exist if DQ11 was going to be Japan-Only. Doesn't make financial sense to make a PS4 version in addition to a 3DS version if Square Enix wasn't aiming for the West with it given current PS4 sales in Japan. The 3DS version exists for Japan. The PS4 version exists for everywhere else.

This push of JRPGs for PS4 is because PS4 is the only viable platform for their future. The handheld market is collapsing outside of Japan because mobile is supplanting it, last generation console sales have already collapsed, the Wii U is selling worse than the GameCube, and while successful, Xbox One has absolutely no audience for these types of games. PS4 is the only option for these titles to see the most potential for success outside of Japan.

If they're only putting it on PS4 in the west, they're riding too high on it driving the series in the west, because that means they're expecting growth out of the series in those areas due to the higher production costs. I'm "guessing" it will come out on NX in the west as well, but that's still going to be mid-late 2017 at the earliest.

For the 3DS version, they're going to bring out 7r, 8r and 11 on the system in the west or none of them. It really can't go any other way at this point. I know that sounds really cynical and discouraging, but there's no point to not go all in or get out.

Go_Ly_Dow

Luminous Engine is a mess. The writing was on the wall when the guy in charge of it suddenly left along with the global technology director.

Well I'm also in the camp now that it will be a one hit wonder. After XV I expect they will stick with the UE4 train.

As a whole though it will be interesting how XV holds up to VII remake from a technical perspective.

Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts won't be pushing the hardware to its limits like those titles.

Well I'm also in the camp now that it will be a one hit wonder. After XV I expect they will stick with the UE4 train.

As a whole though it will be interesting how XV holds up to VII remake from a technical perspective.

Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts won't be pushing the hardware to its limits like those titles.
I wonder how much VIIremake will push the PS4... Nomura did say they are not going to sacrifice gameplay for graphics, so...

That post has been quoted a billion times and no one has corrected Trailers in the Sky
lol

I hope no one corrects it.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Nutted but she still suckin'

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Quoting this so I can find it whenever i need. lol

Does anyone have an idea as to why all of these JRPGs are coming all at the same time now? Seems like way too big of a coincidence. What was the spark to create this movement?

It all seems so unreal to me. I feel like I've gone back in time to the SNES, PS1 or PS2 era. What a time to be alive!

Its that 1-3 month time to triangle Cerny spoke of.

dddooozzz9

Neo Member
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

This is so good!

BlackJace

I'm tempted to make a thread about how wrong I initially was about UE4. Thought it wouldn't take off nearly as much as 3 did since a lot of devs seem to be making their own proprietary joints.

wmlk

I had to let this sink in for the entire day. On paper, if you took the important details, it really does sound like it is too good to be true. I think the OP kind of encapsulates that whole feeling.

However, I was really looking forward to the DQVIII feeling returning for DQXI. While that is still in contention, and nothing that we've seen directly kind of goes against that, I'm still really apprehensive. This looks really, really ambitious when you consider that they're two of the best looking games right now on their respective platforms and even the 3DS is trying some pretty cool things. Even if they didn't look as good as they do now, I would still be apprehensive considering they're making two games for radically different hardware. It's not going to be a port job by any means. I understand that they have different teams working on them alongside the core staff, but it definitely isn't the case where the entire support is going to one version of the game. Both versions look to be great but I'm still wondering what kind of feeling they're trying to go for with the PS4 version; I already have a good idea on what DQXI 3DS is trying to be.

Basically, with the platform announcement being as weird as it is, even though I should be stupidly excited for both games I'm still left wanting more. Particularly more from the PS4 version. The DQVIII ensemble cast exploring a big world feeling is just amazing, and while this looks to be half-way there, I wonder if it has what it takes to go all the way. I really hope it does.

sn00zer

I wonder how much VIIremake will push the PS4... Nomura did say they are not going to sacrifice gameplay for graphics, so...

lol

I hope no one corrects it.

Doesnt this basically confirm action rpg, considering turn based combat really isnt effected nearly as much as action combat when it comes to the "graphics v. gameplay"

I'm tempted to make a thread about how wrong I initially was about UE4. Thought it wouldn't take off nearly as much as 3 did since a lot of devs seem to be making their own proprietary joints.

The odd thing is that it seems like it's mostly big Japanese devs that are supporting it rather than big western devs. We've seen some western devs stick to UE3.

~Kinggi~

Banned
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

it makes no sense, because it made all the sense in the world.

sn00zer

The PS4 version is more complex so it's not really a surprise they didn't have all of the NPCs and all that stuff ready for the presentation. The 3DS version reuses assets so they have more time to setup a proper demo for the stage demonstration.

It really doesn't speak to how far the projects are along, just that it's probably more difficult to get something put together when you're doing stuff in HD, from scratch, and having to deal with complex environments, lol.

I just gotta imagine the 3DS version will get finished real quick or have a much smaller team considering the experience, engine, and assets from the previous 3DS games.

Arzehn

Personally hoping that the NX version goes after the 3DS version. Got my base covered for PS4 edition but I still want to play both versions.

Scrawnton

I know this sounds crazy, but I am so excited that this game exists that I finally tripple-dipped on FFX and bought it for PS4 to say thanks to Square... Just glad my favorite genre (JRPG) is on the verge of a huge come back.

Shouta

I just gotta imagine the 3DS version will get finished real quick or have a much smaller team considering the experience, engine, and assets from the previous 3DS games.

It'll probably be a smaller team but they're essentially making 2 games on the 3DS with it being 3D and 2D so they have double the work despite the advantages.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

blog-what-a-time-to-be-alive.png

Koozek

Would make efforts like this look bizarr in retrospect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJOWXedK08

All this work and international hiring just for one title. They should at least make a FFXV sequel as a stopgap between FFVIIR and FFXVI.
Who knows, maybe Luminous will be pretty good once it's finished after FFXV's release. Not that they couldn't just transfer shader- and lighting-tech to UE4, but that would be a lot of work, too, especially in regards to more specific systems like their streaming-tech for FFXV's open-world which wouldn't be quite as trivial to move over to UE4, I assume.

Last year they still were saying that FFXV wouldn't be the only game using Luminous.
"Currently, the FFXV development team and the Luminous Studio engine development team are working as one on FFXV. At the current stage, I can’t speak concretely about titles in development using Luminous Studio besides FFXV, but I can firmly say that it isn’t an engine build solely for FFXV."

DNAbro

All this work and international hiring just for one title. They should at least make a FFXV sequel as a stopgap between FFVIIR and FFXVI.
Who knows, maybe Luminous will be pretty good once it's finished after FFXV's release. Not that they couldn't just transfer shader- and lighting-tech to UE4, but that would be a lot of work, too, especially in regards to more specific systems like their streaming-tech for FFXV's open-world which wouldn't be quite as trivial to move over to UE4, I assume.

Last year they still were saying that FFXV wouldn't be the only game using Luminous.
"Currently, the FFXV development team and the Luminous Studio engine development team are working as one on FFXV. At the current stage, I can’t speak concretely about titles in development using Luminous Studio besides FFXV, but I can firmly say that it isn’t an engine build solely for FFXV."

obviously they are making an Agni's Philosophy game

would be cool if that was true

AJpaz

Neo Member
I was just thinking. There are two versions; home console and handheld. Why would nintendo release another handle version if its already available on 3DS (going to be ). my guess is that the NX will be like the Ps4 version. So does that mean the NX will take over as the next home console.

This is what Im thinking. The WiiUs been out for about 3/4 years I believe. kinda short life.

I have no clue, What do you guys think?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Tech demos mean nothing in the end if that technology can't run well on actual hardware.

What's the second Tales of game coming to PS4? I only saw one?

Also, any updates on Sony's new "First on PS" line? Is this referencing NX/PC/X1? So confusing.

Also, planning to get a 3DS like next week, should I go for the new version, like is the screen quality better or anything, don't care at all about 3D effect. not sure about my WiiU at black Friday now, NX might be B/c with it.

Amir0x

Banned
I was just thinking. There are two versions; home console and handheld. Why would nintendo release another handle version if its already available on 3DS (going to be ). my guess is that the NX will be like the Ps4 version. So does that mean the NX will take over as the next home console.

This is what Im thinking. The WiiUs been out for about 3/4 years I believe. kinda short life.

One thing's for sure, it definitely means Wii U is not set to take over as the next home console :p

Vena

NX takes over for both.

Bitanator

The Wii U is buried under a pile of forgotten Vitas, Nintendo are doing the wise thing and dumping the lighter fluid on it as fast as they can

What's the second Tales of game coming to PS4? I only saw one?

Also, any updates on Sony's new "First on PS" line? Is this referencing NX/PC/X1? So confusing.

Also, planning to get a 3DS like next week, should I go for the new version, like is the screen quality better or anything, don't care at all about 3D effect.

either zesteria port for west or berseria, pick your 2nd tales of on ps4

Top Bottom