• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

_Ryo_

You think the PS4 will have any vita features besides remote play? It'd be cool if it used the Vita the same way that 3DS uses its bottom screen.

sn00zer

-Making two versions of the same game on the same console to display at the same time seems like a horrendous waste of resources.

-Also its clear the PS4 version is around a year behind the 3DS version.

-And is the NX version going to be the PS4 or the 3DS version?

Just overall very weird announcement.

Adamator

This is Ni no Kuni on DS:
ninokuni-ds-screen2.jpg

This is Ni no Kuni on PS3:
Ni_No_Kuni_game_battle_screenshot.jpg

The DS version was a top down-ish turn based JRPG. The PS3 version is full 3D with a semi-real time battle system. They both follow the same plot up to a point (probably 85% the same), but the PS3 version continues past where the DS version ends. There are some mechanic changes as well. For example, you had to look your spell symbols in your physical Wizard's Companion and draw them on the screen to cast a spell in the DS version, while in the PS3 version it's just a spell you select from the menu.

The 3DS and PS4 versions of DQXI are being developed from two different companies and completely separate from each other in terms of visuals considering the PS4 version is being built using Unreal Engine 4. Apparently they will both have the same plot.

Ni No Kuni for DS was my most wanted game that never came out in the West. :( Makes me sad just seeing it. I remember some rumors not too long ago of a 3DS port, but nothing never became of it. Boooooo!

Guymelef

-Making two versions of the same game on the same console to display at the same time seems like a horrendous waste of resources.

Based on what?

Because they say same day release, time will tell, but it's nor "clear".

Damn I can't decide if I wanna experience this as 2D/3D on 3DS, or experience it as a vast, big 3D RPG on PS4.

Kinda wish Vita was getting it too. Maybe we could have had simultaneous old school 2D on Vita while playing it as a big, epic 3D RPG on PS4. Or maybe we can get it in that form on NX + 3DS.

Mik317

Does anyone have an idea as to why all of these JRPGs are coming all at the same time now? Seems like way too big of a coincidence. What was the spark to create this movement?

It all seems so unreal to me. I feel like I've gone back in time to the SNES, PS1 or PS2 era. What a time to be alive!

Various potential reasons.

1. RPGS are hot right now. FPS dominated last gen but then got stale... Things like Dark Souls taking off plus Dragon Age's recent success and people generally liking RPG elements shows that there is an audience for it.

2. Japan got bodied last gen. Their attempts to follow the west failed and the mobile boom wasn't kind either..so this is them going back to the basics in a sense and trying the old trusted again. This RPG boom is nice and all but a lot of it is known franchises ATM.

3. These games were in the oven for a while and just now are able to come out and be made lol.

4. Again since the mobile push hasn't taken off for all of them or is able to keep their companies afloat..they need the PS4 and eventual next Nintendo systems to sell....This is a good start.

sn00zer

Based on?

Because they say same day release, time will tell, but it's nor "clear".

Literally walking around an environment, with no battle gameplay, no characters, no anything really, especially given what they showed in the 3DS demo (cutscene, battles, town gameplay). To be clear, KH3 showed more gameplay than DQ11.

This is Ni no Kuni on DS:

This is Ni no Kuni on PS3:

The DS version was a top down-ish turn based JRPG. The PS3 version is full 3D with a semi-real time battle system. They both follow the same plot up to a point (probably 85% the same), but the PS3 version continues past where the DS version ends. There are some mechanic changes as well. For example, you had to look your spell symbols in your physical Wizard's Companion and draw them on the screen to cast a spell in the DS version, while in the PS3 version it's just a spell you select from the menu.

The 3DS and PS4 versions of DQXI are being developed from two different companies and completely separate from each other in terms of visuals considering the PS4 version is being built using Unreal Engine 4. Apparently they will both have the same plot.
Thanks. Same plot, but the experience can be substantially different.
The simultanous 2d and 3d renderings on the 3ds looks really amazing.

It's a done deal because the PS4 version wouldn't exist if DQ11 was going to be Japan-Only. Doesn't make financial sense to make a PS4 version in addition to a 3DS version if Square Enix wasn't aiming for the West with it given current PS4 sales in Japan. The 3DS version exists for Japan. The PS4 version exists for everywhere else.

This push of JRPGs for PS4 is because PS4 is the only viable platform for their future. The handheld market is collapsing outside of Japan because mobile is supplanting it, last generation console sales have already collapsed, the Wii U is selling worse than the GameCube, and while successful, Xbox One has absolutely no audience for these types of games. PS4 is the only option for these titles to see the most potential for success outside of Japan.

Which at least mirrors generations 3, 4, 5, and 6 where a good chunk of JRPGs came out on one system each. At least a fan has a huge variety with one console instead of last generation's Tiamat of venues.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Literally walking around an environment, with no battle gameplay, no characters, no anything really, especially given what they showed in the 3DS demo (cutscene, battles, town gameplay). To be clear, KH3 showed more gameplay than DQ11.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. SE have said otherwise since this morning.

Zultan

Banned
Wow, first two games ever announced for the NX. And both DQ games at that. Nobody saw this coming...

You'd think Nintendo would be on-stage or something all things considered.

I don't get these "PS4 version looks behind the DS version"

DS version has a couple NPCs. That's it. The PS4 version already has monster models so they clearly have some battle work done even if they didn't show it yet.

I don't get these "PS4 version looks behind the DS version"

DS version has a couple NPCs. That's it. The PS4 version already has monster models so they clearly have some battle work done even if they didn't show it yet.

It's also people assuming that what they showed is all that is done. With the PS4 version, they seemed to be falling into the "Look at these environments, look at these vistas" thing we see for a lot of open world type games. Maybe that's what they wanted to show off . Obviously that wouldn't have worked or had the same impact with a 3DS demo so they had to show more of the transitions from map to town to battle.

Yes but saying it's a year behind is a baseless assumptiom. A lot of the time publicly shown builds aren't even the latest builds anyway.

The game looked extremely polished outside the lack of NPCs and not showing combat scenarios. Pro tip: it will play like the 3DS version but look prettier.

Dragon Quest games are really simple and streamlined compared to stuff like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I can believe this will launch in late 2016.

Nerokis

Now we just need

-Dark Cloud 3
-Suikoden VI
-Wild Arms VI
-Kings Field VI

Whole lotta VI's

And FFXII HD, localizations of DQVII and VIII 3DS (and a DQ remake/remaster for the PS4, perhaps), the Xenosaga HD collection I've seen rumored around here... Out of those, the first seems all but guaranteed, and I'm hopeful about the 3DS games coming over. As much as the joy in the world has expanded over the past several weeks, there is still so much room for it to grow.

B.K.

Having both a 3D and 2D version in the 3DS game is really weird. I wonder if the 2D version was a mobile version that they cancelled and decided to stick in the 3DS game. Everything about the game so far is weird.

sn00zer

Yes but saying it's a year behind is a baseless assumptiom. A lot of the time publicly shown builds aren't even the latest builds anyway.

The game looked extremely polished outside the lack of NPCs and not showing combat scenarios. Pro tip: it will play like the 3DS version but look prettier.

Dragon Quest games are really simple and streamlined compared to stuff like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I can believe this will launch in late 2016.
Year? No probably not a year, just looked much farther behind than the 3DS version.

It's no different than something like Tales of which often shows only one character running around at the announcement reveal.
I guess. Just given Square's track record of a character running around an empty environment basically meaning "this is literally what we have atm" I dont have a lot of hope (see KH3, FFX, FF13Versus, etc.)

I think the development for 3ds is easier or faster because they have assets they can reuse and the PS4 version had to start from the beginning. But the UE4 will help to keep up with the 3ds game, imo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Year? No probably not a year, just looked much farther behind than the 3DS version.

I guess. Just given Square's track record of a character running around an empty environment basically meaning "this is literally what we have atm" I dont have a lot of hope (see KH3, FFX, FF13Versus, etc.)

The game being on UE4 can only be seen as a positive thing - that they want to get the game out quite quickly.

sn00zer

Also Im literally just saying the PS4 version looks behind the 3DS version. Doesnt mean in a year it wont look better, it just AT THE MOMENT looks far behind the 3DS version given the footage they showed.

The game being on UE4 can only be seen as a positive thing - that they want to get the game out quite quickly.
Yeah true, I imagine at the very least it will be a god learning experience for other titles.

Also Im literally just saying the PS4 version looks behind the 3DS version. Doesnt mean in a year it wont look better, it just AT THE MOMENT looks far behind the 3DS version given the footage they showed.

I might actually prefer a staggered release. Experience it as the hybrid look on 3DS, let some time pass, and I'll grow to miss it, then relive it again as a big, 3D console RPG.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yeah true, I imagine at the very least it will be a god learning experience for other titles.

I mean look at KH3 for example. Since switching to UE4 we're finally ready to hear about the game within quick succession already after E3.

Squire

Banned

It seems like you're operating on the assumption all they showed is all they have. It's more likely they just showed what they felt was presentable.

Fair enough, though I wouldn't even think it looks far behind. Lack of NPC in the town but that's about it. I also doubt that just because they didn't show battles, the system isn't ready. Like I say, DQ has some of the most simplistic combat out there. It won't be hard to implement especially since they appear to have the monster models ready.

sn00zer

I mean look at KH3 for example. Since switching to UE4 we're finally ready to hear about the game within quick succession already after E3.
Yeah, I am wondering if DQ11 got on board around the same time. Looks just a bit behind KH3 in terms of being done, but KH3 did have an X year head start in asset creation.

Go_Ly_Dow

The team sizes involved in each game will vary quite significantly I would imagine.

Shenmue

Banned
Various potential reasons.

1. RPGS are hot right now. FPS dominated last gen but then got stale... Things like Dark Souls taking off plus Dragon Age's recent success and people generally liking RPG elements shows that there is an audience for it.

2. Japan got bodied last gen. Their attempts to follow the west failed and the mobile boom wasn't kind either..so this is them going back to the basics in a sense and trying the old trusted again. This RPG boom is nice and all but a lot of it is known franchises ATM.

3. These games were in the oven for a while and just now are able to come out and be made lol.

4. Again since the mobile push hasn't taken off for all of them or is able to keep their companies afloat..they need the PS4 and eventual next Nintendo systems to sell....This is a good start.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. I hope it's not just a fad. I need JRPGs as a regular part of my diet!

Top Bottom