• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

They're localizing Star Ocean. It would be insane if they don't do it for dragon quest. Everyone has to lookat squares line-up thats coming out in the west and should have the same expectation for this title

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
While that's certainly true, your scenario is no more likely than mine. It's already been stated by Nintendo multiple times that NX is a new, dedicated gaming platform. It's not a Wii U controller.

If it could play 3DS games natively then it COULD still be considered a dedicated gaming platform.

I'm loving the console gifs.

I've been waiting for a "classic" JRPG experience with a nice budget on modern consoles for a long-ass time. The genre has been dominated too long by JRPGs with crappy "twists" to the formula, waifus and lolis out the ass and generally poor aesthetic design. I've always appreciated the look of Dragon Quest and it sticking to the tried and true formula, which incidentally is now in the vast minority in the console space.

Really hyped about this!

Go_Ly_Dow

They're localizing Star Ocean. It would be insane if they don't do it for dragon quest. Everyone has to lookat squares line-up thats coming out in the west and should have the same expectation for this title

I think they localize most games these days expecting absolute minimum returns, but they know they can't afford to not do so in case you miss out a sleeper hitter. (Ni no Kuni, Bravely Default, Demon Souls, Catherine etc.....)

There's no doubt they find it incredibly difficult figuring out how these titles will perform in America and Europe. Sales can fluctuate so much from title to title.

The key is to firstly make sure it's on the platform that gives it the most chance and the PS4 is that platform. Highest install base, diverse library and maximum worldwide reach.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Hold me duckroll. hold me someone. hold me tight.

LOL if you made this list before this gen, it would have been laughed and thrown off as some wet dream wish list that would never be happening in a million years.

Guymelef

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy

(missed something?)

On top of niche PS3/Vita stuff like Trails of Cold Steel and Lost Dimension.

JRPG IS BACK

Japan is slowly returning to form. No doubt TGS will have cool stuff from Capcom and Sega (PSO2 PS4 and Phantasy Star Reboot pls).

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment is out today.
Sword Art Online Lost Song.
Atelier Sophie.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm about 50 pages too late to this, but let me just say:

YES YES YES YES YES!

I'm glad to see a return to the classic DQ-style gameplay, and the 2D/3D dual screen thing on the 3DS version looks awesome! Now let's just hope that it comes out in the US.

Koozek

The more important question is how well will all these JRPGs sell in the end? You better show SE that their refocus was worth it.

I have been looking for something to play on my 3DS since I've had my time with Fire Emblem, which would you suggest from 4, 5 and 6?

4 and 6 are my two favorite entries in the series. 4 has one of the most unique storytelling methods they've used, where the first four chapters are told from completely different perspectives, while the hero grows up. When you reach the 5th chapter, you finally play as the hero and unite the various characters. It also has my favorite battle theme in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eyZYs_vp9c#.

6 was one of my favorite SNES RPGs, even over FF6 and CT. The look and feel of it back then was just so perfect. I loved the atmosphere and the music, and enjoyed the story almost as much as 4's epic tale.

5 is also a good game, and often the fan favorite. It just never struck me as much as the other two in the trilogy. It too has a unique story mechanic involving playing multiple generations and fun monster recruiting, IIRC.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Now we just need

-Dark Cloud 3
-Suikoden VI
-Wild Arms VI
-Kings Field VI

Whole lotta VI's

Rodin

Two questions:

1. Why is the NX release tentative? Seems like a stupid idea to announce a game for a platform that you still haven't decided will actually get the game.

2. How is Japan reacting to the multi-platform release? I'm assuming they don't give a shit about the PS4 release (even though it looks amazing) and everyone is going to buy the 3DS version.
3DS version will probably sell a lot more in Japan, but it can still do well on PS4. Also, they have a Playstation version because they want to expand the franchise in the west, where in fact the PS4 version will probably sell more.

Now we just need

-Dark Cloud 3
-Suikoden VI
-Wild Arms VI
-Kings Field VI

Whole lotta VI's

Don't forget Xenogears episode VI

RangerBAD

If Japanese gamers fail to get buzzed for a console which has the titles mentioned in that list (FF7 REMAKE) then they truly have lost their soul :(

In before all sales are on the 3DS.

Yeah, isn't this basically just them picking up where they left off with DQ8?

It seems like it.

Ugh.. Can't we all just be happy? Let's not be starting this shit just yet.

Uh, that's not what I meant. It was a jab at Japan's seeming disinterest in consoles. Not a "this version will sell better than this version" thing. Also, I am very happy with this announcement.

sublimit

Banned
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Holy shit that list man...and to add to this list i'm also getting a WiiU by the end of this year so i'll add
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Zelda WiiU (and WindWaker HD)

Man this is going to be the one of the best console generations ever!

kiryogi

Banned
The list is great, but kinda echoes, will this really revive things in Japan and will PS4 finally gain prominence?

Also, Yakuza 5 is PS3 not PS4.

Jigorath

Banned
The list is great, but kinda echoes, will this really revive things in Japan and will PS4 finally gain prominence?

Console gaming is boned in Japan and nothing Sony or Nintendo will do can ever change that. Let's just be happy there are so many JRPGs coming to PS4 despite the current climate in the Japanese market.

crinale

So adding the up on the list Square-Enix has the following titles coming to PS4:

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Final Fantasy 7 (PC Port)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Project Setsuna
Hitman
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Just Cause 3
Final Fantasy XIV Updates (An unidentified amount of content will continue to make it's way to the game).

I got to say I'm very impressed with the output they have coming to the PS4 so far.

Don't forget they've teased new Mana series too.
That may end up being a mobile game though

AgeEighty

While I have no doubt DQXI will be localized, VII and VIII on 3DS are far from "niche" titles in the DQ franchise and lol at calling them spinoffs. VII in particular is a full-blown remake.

People have every right to be wary of more DQ in the west. I don't think they should be, but it's not some ridiculous feeling for someone to have like you're implying here and have been in multiple DQ threads.

But neither are they first-release mainline titles. Main titles yes, but they are entries in a port/remake series that wasn't selling in the West. It's not like they never gave the ports/remakes a chance here; they did and we, collectively, didn't buy them.

Anyway it wasn't that he cast doubt on the localization, but that whole smarmy attitude of a parent talking down to his unruly kids that annoyed me.

Go_Ly_Dow

Needs a substantial price cut and bundles this year. Then a slim revision model to go alongside all the releases next year with further bundles.

A console Monster Hunter game which is unique to consoles would be a massive help too. I would say thats in the realms of possibility now as Sony is in bed with Capcom somewhat these days.

But neither are they first-release mainline titles. Main titles yes, but they are entries in a port/remake series that wasn't selling in the West. It's not like they never gave the ports/remakes a chance here; they did and we, collectively, didn't buy them.

Anyway it wasn't that he cast doubt on the localization, but that whole smarmy attitude of a parent talking down to his unruly kids that annoyed me.

They were likely selling as well as any DQ game would ever sell in the west on a portable console. The problem is that SE has had unrealistic expectations for Dragon Quest in the past. I'm hoping they've brought their projections down to earth for their upcoming DQ push in the west.

AgeEighty

They were likely selling as well as any DQ game would ever sell in the west on a portable console. The problem is that SE has had unrealistic expectations for Dragon Quest in the past. I'm hoping they've brought their projections down to earth for their upcoming DQ push in the west.

I'm fairly sure DQIX did much better. And quite honestly we have no idea what their projections were or what they were based on.

sublimit

Banned
Needs a substantial price cut and bundles this year. Then a slim revision model to go alongside all the releases next year with further bundles.

A console Monster Hunter game which is unique to consoles would be a massive help too. I would say thats in the realms of possibility now as Sony is in bed with Capcom somewhat these days.

If the PS4 install base gets expanded significantly thanks to the games in your list then Capcom would definitely try to test the waters with a console MH (probably for PS4 and NX) regardless of their relationship with Sony.

Klossen

Banned
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Japan saves yet another console gen.

The PS4 version is going to be hugely improved from the 3ds version, right?
Is it basically the same game with better visuals or will there be considerable differences besides that?

I know Ninokuni was released on both, but I don't know what were the differences between both versions.

Edit: Nevermind. This Gametrailers video was more informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VeGoQVek2s

The more important question is how well will all these JRPGs sell in the end? You better show SE that their refocus was worth it.

I'm actually buying every single DQ game that's getting localized. Not even as a show of support but god damn, I want every single one. Builders better be here in NA early next year. They all look so good.

Edit: Post above, we already have a difference between random battles vs. no random battles right? I'm sure there will be a bunch of differences between the two versions.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Edit: Post above, we already have a difference between random battles vs. no random battles right? I'm sure there will be a bunch of differences between the two versions.
There are no random battles in the 3DS version.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Console gaming is boned in Japan and nothing Sony or Nintendo will do can ever change that. Let's just be happy there are so many JRPGs coming to PS4 despite the current climate in the Japanese market.

No one knows for sure. The problem especially last generation was also due in part to the lack of compelling content.

Begaria

The PS4 version is going to be hugely improved from the 3ds version, right?
Is it basically the same game with better visuals or will there be considerable differences besides that?

I know Ninokuni was released on both, but I don't know what were the differences between both versions.

This is Ni no Kuni on DS:
ninokuni-ds-screen2.jpg

This is Ni no Kuni on PS3:
Ni_No_Kuni_game_battle_screenshot.jpg

The DS version was a top down-ish turn based JRPG. The PS3 version is full 3D with a semi-real time battle system. They both follow the same plot up to a point (probably 85% the same), but the PS3 version continues past where the DS version ends. There are some mechanic changes as well. For example, you had to look your spell symbols in your physical Wizard's Companion and draw them on the screen to cast a spell in the DS version, while in the PS3 version it's just a spell you select from the menu.

The 3DS and PS4 versions of DQXI are being developed from two different companies and completely separate from each other in terms of visuals considering the PS4 version is being built using Unreal Engine 4. Apparently they will both have the same plot.

Unreal Engine 4 fits so well with JRPG Games
First Kingdom Hearts 3 and now DQ XI - They both look so beautiful and crisp

Now Level 5 - show us a ni no kuni with Ps4 Graphics !!!!

Oxn

the DQ series is one of my favorite series ever, but its is finally dawning on me, how many DQ games is coming in the next 1-2 years, and frankly I am overwhelmed right now. If I have the count correctly...

DQ Heroes
DQ Heroes 2
DQM Jokers 3
DQ Builder
DQ of the Stars
DQ 10
DQ 11 PS4
DQ 11 3DS

and I feel it in my guts, these are coming stateside eventually

DQ 8 3DS
DQ 7 3DS

This is just a crazy amount of DQ. Im seriously conflicted, if I should be happy or sad.

Shenmue

Banned
Does anyone have an idea as to why all of these JRPGs are coming all at the same time now? Seems like way too big of a coincidence. What was the spark to create this movement?

It all seems so unreal to me. I feel like I've gone back in time to the SNES, PS1 or PS2 era. What a time to be alive!

Game Guru

People assume that XI is a done deal in terms of localization just because we are getting Heroes?

Has anyone here ever played a Dragon Quest game before? Why do I have to constantly remind you guys that we haven't had a non-mobile Dragon Quest game in the west since 2011?

If anyone is going to be publishing this game it will be Nintendo and/or Sony.

It's a done deal because the PS4 version wouldn't exist if DQ11 was going to be Japan-Only. Doesn't make financial sense to make a PS4 version in addition to a 3DS version if Square Enix wasn't aiming for the West with it given current PS4 sales in Japan. The 3DS version exists for Japan. The PS4 version exists for everywhere else.

This push of JRPGs for PS4 is because PS4 is the only viable platform for their future. The handheld market is collapsing outside of Japan because mobile is supplanting it, last generation console sales have already collapsed, the Wii U is selling worse than the GameCube, and while successful, Xbox One has absolutely no audience for these types of games. PS4 is the only option for these titles to see the most potential for success outside of Japan.

Does anyone have an idea as to why all of these JRPGs are coming all at the same time now? Seems like way too big of a coincidence. What was the spark to create this movement?

It all seems so unreal to me. I feel like I've gone back in time to the SNES, PS1 or PS2 era. What a time to be alive!

New CEO since 2013 at SE I think.

Top Bottom