• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest press event to be held on 7/28 in Japan, livestreamed, "main series"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynomutt

I would if this was the only game MS nabbed for the next gen Japan market I would laugh. Nonsense I know but it would be a shocker.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe DQXI will be built using whatever DQB is built on.

DQXI for PS4 is really no-brainer. In fact, any Japanese 3rd party franchise that doesn't tie to a handheld not coming to PS4 doesn't really make much business sense anymore.

Taker666

DQXI for PS4 is really no-brainer. In fact, any Japanese 3rd party franchise that doesn't tie to a handheld not coming to PS4 doesn't really make much business sense anymore.

Not for the Japanese market ..with games that primarily have a Japanese fanbase. 3DS has a bigger install base there than PS3/PS4/Vita and Wii U combined.

3DS would be the smartest move financially....but I suspect it will be for PS4.

Really they should have planned for DQXI for the 3DS in 2014/2015...then DQXII for consoles in 2016/2017 for a double bite of the cherry. They'll have left a massive pile of cash on the table by not pushing a mainline DQ title out for the 3DS this gen.

crinale

With us already guessing the platform of DQXI, it would be hilarious if the announcement isn't even about DQXI lol.

Scenario: DQ finally comes to a PS3-equivalent HD home console... Wii U

how would you react?
I'd get a Wii U for it and would agonize over what region I should buy the console from. That's my biggest issue with Nintendo platforms and these kinds of games right now: the mix of region lock and lack of certainty when it comes to localizations.

Otherwise, yeah, why not.

Not for the Japanese market ..with games that primarily have a Japanese fanbase. 3DS has a bigger install base there than PS3/PS4/Vita and Wii U combined.

DQXI shouldn't be focused for Japanese market. The market is shrinking across the board and 3DS is already declining. SQE should be aiming at making DQ a global franchise. DQH gets localization is a good sign that SQE is moving into that direction.

Rodin

It's DQ XI, and it's going to be on PS4 for sure since they want to expand the brand in the west. But they said "consoles" iirc, so... WiiU? PS3? NX version announced at a later date?

Some Nobody

DQ 11 on PS4 only please, don't let PS3 and Vita drag it down.

Drag it down...in what way? The most powerful console the DQ series has been on is the Nintendo Wii. Just having it in HD is an enormous step-up. And if its PS3/PS4 it'll be capable of a sufficient world size, too. No, it won't push the boundaries of AI or other areas of programming, but eh. Let's just be glad it's not on a cell phone?

Sandfox

Drag it down...in what way? The most powerful console the DQ series has been on is the Nintendo Wii. Just having it in HD is an enormous step-up. And if its PS3/PS4 it'll be capable of a sufficient world size, too. No, it won't push the boundaries of AI or other areas of programming, but eh. Let's just be glad it's not on a cell phone?

There are going to be people who wants the specs as high as possible. We'll see though.

klee123

Hmm, next week. Guess S-E is serious about trying to keep the consoles alive lol.

If it's on the PS4 then it's hard to imagine that it'll only be on it. Most likely it'll be the same as DQB and DQH2 (PS4/3/V) so they can reach as many users as possible.

Yeah, a lot of Japanese third parties are embracing the approach where the game is multiplatform, but all the platforms are from Sony. I suspect they're making it very easy for Japanese developers to port from one system to another.

Square2015

Imagine the effect of an announcement for PS4 exclusivity on the J. market...home console market saved. (Sony would give anything for such an announcement)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

PS3 is only logical. We have not yet even had a traditional Dragon Quest for PS3. As someone else said, the highest base for traditional DQ yet has been Wii. Just having it on PS3 would be a huge upgrade compared to previous DQ games.

Furthermore, a PS3 base would make it easier to develop and then just port up to PS4 as well as make it easier to bank on success with both install bases.

Going for a PS4 only game for a franchise like DQ, even in Japan is quite a risk to take.

GunBR

DQ never was famous for their great graphics (maybe VIII only). Just look to DQ VII for the ps1

If this is really a PS4 game, I think that's 100% sure that will be launched for the PS3 too
Not so sure about the Vita, but they launched DQ X for the 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom