• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest press event to be held on 7/28 in Japan, livestreamed, "main series"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited for sure but how much longer until Japan cuts ties with the PS3?
emot-argh.gif

I don't understand what the complaints about a cross gen Dragon Quest IX are all about. The last 2 mainline titles were on PS2 and DS respectively. Even if the game was PS3 levels of fidelity in 1080p 60fps, it'd be a HUGE step up from DQ8 and 9.

And, if I'm honest, I really doubt being current gen only would benefit the game visually. Square Enix would have to go big budget ala Final Fantasy XV for to reap the rewards of the new hardware and Dragon Quest's design and art don't require so much tech. It'll look beautiful, even if its cross gen.

The 'big screen' comment also doesn't seem to gel with a handheld.

Yeah, this is also true. Fingers crossed!

I don't understand what the complaints about a cross gen Dragon Quest IX are all about. The last 2 mainline titles were on PS2 and DS respectively. Even if the game was PS3 levels of fidelity in 1080p 60fps, it'd be a HUGE step up from DQ8 and 9.

And, if I'm honest, I really doubt being current gen only would benefit the game visually. Square Enix would have to go big budget ala Final Fantasy XV for to reap the rewards of the new hardware and Dragon Quest's design and art don't require so much tech. It'll look beautiful, even if its cross gen.

I wouldn't mind a cross gen DQ XI either. DQ Heroes is beautiful.

People shouldn't have such hangups about the Cross Gen thing. Blue Dragon for example still looks more than just okay. That artstyle doesn't crack as fast.

Yesss !!! Dragon Quest XI annoucement is almost a guarantee at this point. Based on Hori comments, it's an offline rpg for home consoles so I am really excited to see the game ! My selfish me would like a 3DS game but since I have the feeling I am in the minority I am rather ready for a ps4 game (and maybe it could mean DQ back in the west, at last)

Arkeband

Banned
Cross-gen is fine if it's not noticeably holding something back. Historically cross-gen titles are either fairly scalable, or the lower end version is just missing features wholesale.

I kind of doubt this would drastically affect DQ which traditionally is very simple in the graphics department. On the flipside, some PS4-only games have had their own fair share of development woes (looking at Bloodborne not being perfectly optimized with framerate issues)

So I can see both flavors of concerns.

Dovahking

According to Wall Street Journal’s Tokyo tech reporter Takashi Mochizuki, they’ve received a letter of invitation from Square Enix for the event that will take place this Tuesday where a new Dragon Quest title is expected to be announced.

The letter states: “a new title from the main Dragon Quest series for the first time in three years.” Keep in mind that even though Dragon Quest X is an MMORPG, it was released in 2012 and it’s considered part of the main-numbered series

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/24/rumor-dragon-quest-xi-to-be-announced-next-week/?onswipe_redirect=no&oswrr=1

This is it :)

Some Nobody

You know, Verendus never hinted about DQ XI coming to playstation, just a remaster. Maybe it's really for 3DS, I just hope it gets released in the west.

lol he was literally banned for arguing with someone about this. I think we're all good.

And yet, I still feel like there might be a 3DS version as well.

Also, I've got a feeling the HD remaster of whatever will also be revealed at this show.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I'd be really surprised if we keep getting PS3 games in 2017 and 2018.

The install base of PS3 combined with that of PS4 is still a legitimate, profitable and vital market. I wouldn't be surprised, if it happens to land on a PS platform, to be a cross-generation release.

Restricting a game of such demand like DQ merely to the PS4 install baee, which is expanding, wouldn't particularly make sense. It would lessen the risk if they covered both.

AgeEighty

The install base of PS3 combined with that of PS4 is still a legitimate, profitable and vital market. I wouldn't be surprised, if it happens to land on a PS platform, to be a cross-generation release.

Restricting a game of such demand like DQ to merely to the PS4 install baee, which is expanding, wouldn't particularly make sense. It would lessen the risk if they covered both.

The PS4 has been out for going on two years. We're already 30% done with this generation. It's time to turn the page, both for publishers and for gamers.

Arkeband

Banned
I would laugh my arse off if DQ X! was a Wii U/NX exclusive. I just wanna see another meltdown.

I typically buy new consoles specifically for DQ/FF/KH, so this wouldn't bother me if the NX is going to be the new hot shit.

And I already own a Wii U, which has HD output, so we're good here.

Regardless no one's announcing anything for NX because Nintendo hasn't officially announced it yet (and it's likely still being engineered), so no third parties are developing for it.

Dragon Quest mainline games go to the platform, which has the most sales potential. It's been always like that. Why do you think DQ9 was on DS ?

I mean, if they are going for PS4, they BETTER make good use of the hardware.

I'm expecting AAA top-notch production values.
They could just as well make a very good looking cel shaded PS3 RPG (think Vesperia or Ni no Kuni) and amp the IQ and performance for the PS4 version. I'd be more than okay with that.

Dragon Quest mainline games go to the platform, which has the most sales potential. It's been always like that. Why do you think DQ9 was on DS ?
That line of thinking isn't an absolute rule though. Horii flat out said that by that rationale, they'd have made DQXI a mobile game. Except they wanted to design a console game. The game they want to make matters too.

Hypereides

Gold Member
The PS4 has been out for going on two years. We're already 30% done with this generation. It's time to turn the page, both for publishers and for gamers.

30%? You don't have any certainty that is how far this generation has progressed. That's an imaginative estimate.

It likely takes alot less costs to produce a game for the former generation these days in comparison to the current one. The PS3 and 360 might've been succeeded by a new generation, but, that doesn't necessarily mean publishers will turn away from producing games that can net a decent profit.

Besides, the install base of the PS4 dwarfs in comparison to the PS3.

I think so too. However, we've had numerous Japanese titles announced for PC over XB1. Given that, I think it's the far more logical choice for a fourth platform then the XB1.

The more logical choice will be 3DS or even WiiU 1st if you are talking about Japan.
Maybe we can stop all the platform arguments until the 28th? Or until the end of time?

It will only get worst once the platform/s are confirmed.

I honestly think it will be on everywhere possible outside of Xbone

I'll do backflips if there's a English Vita version. It would make sense for Japan given that the Vita routinely outsells everything except the 3DS there, but that rationale doesn't always get the Vita the games it deserves.

I got a good feeling this time .Most of the sales will come from the vita version if Sony grabs 11 exclusively. I am just unsure if they will localized this in English , happy that there is still Sony Asia for some localization i can understand .

I'll do backflips if there's a Vita version. It would make sense for Japan given that the Vita routinely outsells everything except the 3DS there, but that rationale doesn't always get the Vita the games it deserves.

The more logical choice will be 3DS or even WiiU 1st if you are talking about Japan.

It will only get worst once the platform/s are confirmed.

I honestly think it will be on everywhere possible outside of Xbone

You're right. I think Wii U would be more likely then the 3DS if the other platforms are the Playstation trinity simply due to the power difference. But it could be pretty much on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom