• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest press event to be held on 7/28 in Japan, livestreamed, "main series"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerokis

DQ 11 on PS4 only please, don't let PS3 and Vita drag it down.

I get this sentiment overall, but I think people obsess too much over it. DQXI probably isn't going to be technically ambitious enough to be meaningfully impacted by virtue of being a cross-generation game. Actually, making it available on the PS3 might help justify not holding back in terms things like content, since the primary audience for the franchise hasn't really moved on to the PS4 yet. The prospect of a traditional DQ experience built from the ground up for HD consoles is interesting enough.

AmanoBuff

So hyped. I hope the conference is very early or very late. I have to work that day :(

As for platforms, I think PS4 is a given by now.

Drag down what?

This is dragon quest. Not halo or uncharted.

Exactly. DQ has never been on the cutting edge of tech. I wouldn't rule out a PS3 version. Still, a Vita announcement is quite unlikely, even if it would be a dream come true for me.

Mr. RPG

This is a mainline, single player DQ. It's can't be compared to anything since DQIX.

So is Dragon Quest VII and VIII.
;)

We are getting one in a few months. And if Verendus said any PS Dragon Quest games will come to U.S.

Haven't we literally gotten every single Dynasty Warriors-styled game there ever was in the west? How is Heroes any different?

wmlk

;)

Yeah, and in DQVIII's case, it was brought over. DQXI is seemingly going to be for Sony's consoles, or alternatively for the 3DS if you're holding onto that hope. SE is making a big push for publishing games on the PS4. Nier 2 was revealed in E3 for crying out loud. While I do think it's strange that SE hasn't brought over DQVII, we still haven't seen what that'll amount to and it really may just be an outlier considering SE has brought over remakes on the DS, anyway.

DNAbro

;)

Haven't we literally gotten every single Dynasty Warriors-styled game there ever was in the west? How is Heroes any different?

It's also the first DQ game that isn't on mobile that is coming here since a long time. sooo

It's only the Nintendo DQ games we haven't been getting.

It's also the first DQ game that isn't on mobile that is coming here since a long time. sooo

It's only the Nintendo DQ games we haven't been getting.
I still blame SE for that. =(

SE have to stop relaying on Nintendo and Sony to do their work for them.

Soriku

\Exactly. DQ has never been on the cutting edge of tech. I wouldn't rule out a PS3 version. Still, a Vita announcement is quite unlikely, even if it would be a dream come true for me.

I'd call DQ VIII on PS2 pretty cutting edge. It's definitely one of the most impressive games on PS2. I don't know why people say this anyway...even if a series isn't cutting edge, a stronger console will still more easily provide a technically better game. Improved graphics, resolution, framerate, scale, etc.

If it's on PS3 as well though, I guess we can guarantee 1080p/60 FPS on PS4 though. I'm curious to see what turn based battles at 60 FPS feels like.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Shadow hearts had turn based battles at 60fps IIRC.

The fact that DQH is coming out this year on PS4 in the west seems to show that atleast in some capacity, they are more serious about wanting to localized DQ titles on systems they want to push. If DQ11 is on PS3/PS4, i expect a PS4 only localization.....

am i the first one to express negativity here because whatever it is, it won't be for us americans?

if not:
I'm pretty sure nothing of this will come out in America.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
am i the first one to express negativity here because whatever it is, it won't be for us americans?

if not:

They probably won't skip a mainline release.

And since it's highly likely that it'll be on Sony platforms, the worse case scenario for me would be to wait for a Chinese language release. Sony won't be letting this one go without localising it for the Chinese speaking Asia market. They just released DQH in Chinese a while ago.

Either way, so long as it's not region locked, I'll play it.

Abdiel

if not:

If it is released on a PS platform, Verendus has already confirmed all the DQ games on the PS platforms are being localized.

xevis

Banned
Livestream eh? Sounds important. They must be announcing the English localisations of VII and VIII on 3DS. Wahoo! Can't wait!!

Please be true. Please please please

:(

Ōkami

Yeah, and in DQVIII's case, it was brought over. DQVII was released in Japan very late for the PS1, and it made for weird timing if it were localized.
Pretty sure he meant DQVII & VIII on 3DS.

Also Dragon Warrior VII did came out overseas.

wmlk

Ōkami;172825355 said:
Pretty sure he meant DQVII & VIII on 3DS.

Also Dragon Warrior VII did came out overseas.

Damn, you're right. I dunno enough about anything pre-DQVIII. While I know the name change occurred afterwards I had no idea that it was localized.

And I addressed DQVII on 3DS as well. And bringing up DQVIII 3DS right now is strange considering the game hasn't released in Japan yet.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So they're holding a livestream to announce the English localisations of VII and VIII on 3DS. Wahoo! Can't wait!!

Please be true. Please please please

:(

It's a Japanese live stream. Nothing will be announced for the west. Let's not overhyped ourselves.

wmlk

Go play DQ5 it's on DS, Mobile, and SNES (there are translations about), also a PS2 version with a fantranslation.

Experience some DQ history!

I really want to play VI for the SNES since I hear it's the best version. Too bad it's only fan-translated.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
*points to DQX

Only on a platform you don't already own ... *swosh sound* PS4!

DQX is an MMO. They can't even sell that many copies of offline ones. Why would they bother bringing an MMO that requires long term costs to maintain?

Abdiel

*points to DQX

Only on a platform you don't already own ... *swosh sound* PS4!

Sony and Square are being really aggressive about positioning Japanese titles that have PS4 versions, without completely abandoning the existing PS3 audience. I do want them to stop making PS3 games to be able to get the most out of the PS4 hardware, but I also want to make sure the Japanese pubs/devs see the success they need to keep making games.

Rymuth

m4xsarc.png
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2015/07/24/new-dragon-quest-title-coming-next-week-square-enix-says/

So close now, I can taste it...and it tastes slimey.

Cmagus

So exciting, hopefully if it's the next main game it comes here. Now is the time and I feel good about it considering they have been showing some DQ love over here lately.

Arkeband

Banned
Can we stop with those "LOL dragon quest is dead in the west LOL" posts?

Seriously.

The only mainline title that hasn't hit the West is X, which again, is an MMO shoehorned into the main numbered series to increase sales. It could have just been called DQ Online, but then it's harder to make a second one without it sounding silly.

When the servers get shut off, the game is no longer playable. Same with FFXI and FFXIV. Unless the next big thing will be remaking MMO's into single-player versions.

Anyway, that's why DQXI will hit the west, because it's fundamentally different than the only current outlier.

You know, Verendus never hinted about DQ XI coming to playstation, just a remaster. Maybe it's really for 3DS, I just hope it gets released in the west.

Son Of D

If it's on Sony platforms I'm guessing PS3/4/Vita for Japan. PS4 and maybe Vita (download only) for the rest of the world. Can't see a PS3 game having much success in 2017 onwards outside of Japan.

Why would anyone laugh at the idea that a mainline title comes overseas, especially if it`s out on PS4? Dragon Quest Heroes 1 is coming on PS4 and PS3, PS4 only in the west. DQH2 is coming to PS4, Vita and PS3 I believe, PS4 (and Vita?) only in the west is likely to happen. Dragon Quest Builders is coming out on PS3, PS4 and PSVita. It will come out in the west just like the other two games. DQXI is pretty much guaranteed to hit on the PS4. If they released a smaller game on the west for DGH, how does anyone think that a mainline title would not be released? Common sense people, use it.

People speculating PS3 is Japan only I would guess are right with PS4 everywhere of course. I still think there is a decent chance that it might hit 3DS. I do wish they would work on the PS4 version first and then work down from there for the rest. Imagine it looking slightly better than NNK on PS4. So beautiful. :')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom