• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

TalonJH

“I don’t think I would have to stretch far to suggest there’s probably a lot of demand for more Borderlands. That demand lives on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. We don’t know to what extent it’ll live on the next-gen. I imagine over time – maybe by the time we get to the third or fourth Christmas – there will be enough of an install base." ~Said Gearbox president Randy Pitchford about the Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

9 months later, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection announced.

Don't take everything PR says about releases as fact.

tassletine

Dragon's Dogma is most probably the only game in recent memory universally loved by everyone I don't recall anyone not liking this game or not praise it. How it didn't sell very well is a mystery to me

IGN gave it a 7.5 which could explain the poor sales in the US.

Yet another case of IGN marking down a game that plays it a little bit different.
IGN's reviews are now basically an indicator of how mainstream a game is (ie how well it fits into current trends) regardless of quality.

If by other games you mean just the Soul series then that's somewhat understandable if open to debate.

Because if there's two things Soul doesn't have, its climbing up big ass monsters and casting big ass spells.

Also, waifus.

If you are implying here that Dark Souls doesn't have waifus.... You are dead wrong.

Anyway, the combat in Souls and the combat in DD are great in different ways imo.

And from those 2 different ways, I'll take DD's gameplay over Souls gameplay any day of the week. Why are developers not ripping off this game?!

This industry is sometimes very depressing. The way such great games like Dragons Dogma or Tearaway or Disgaea or Zone of the Enders and such like that are not supported by the community so we have situations where obvious awesome shit like a new Zone of the Enders or a new Dragons Dogma or even an obviously awesome Dragons Dogma HD and PC release ends up being a total debacle due to the developers having no faith in making their money back.

Frustrating sometimes

rhandino

Banned
I have conflicted feeings about this, I am all for Dragon's Dogma co-op but is Capcom and I don't really trust in them... Ummm...

---

Also, waifus.
The Maiden in Black? Astrea? Anastacia of Astora? Gwynevere? PRISCILLA!!! I mean, A quick glance at Souls series and posts in some of the threads can be eye opener.

KoopaTheCasual

Yeah I was refering to WW, I think its listed as 1.3 million. Not sure if that includes anything from Sony doing the PS+ deal as well? probabaly not. Also heard that combined with Dark Arisen it did something like 2 million. But not sure how accurate that info is. (Some other Gaffer mentioned that) But yeah not sure about NA sales, perhaps it did bomb here. But I think they are in a better position with all the good word of mouth it gets. I think it would be bad business to keep such a large game solely in Japan.
Yea, I also remember Capcom not advertising the game in NA at all. So disappointing sales figures would make sense. It makes perfect sense to expand to outside Japan, but I still get the feeling that Capcom are gonna try to get Sony to do all the leg work for them, out west.
Dragon's Dogma is most probably the only game in recent memory universally loved by everyone I don't recall anyone not liking this game or not praise it. How it didn't sell very well is a mystery to me
Outside of the amazing combat system, the game was exceedingly forgettable, to me.

Kyoufu

Yea, I also remember Capcom not advertising the game in NA at all. So disappointing sales figures would make sense. It makes perfect sense to expand to outside Japan, but I still get the feeling that Capcom are gonna try to get Sony to do all the leg work for them, out west.

Outside of the amazing combat system, the game was exceedingly forgettable, to me.

Day/Night cycle was incredible. Night time actually meant something.

I agree the game was lacking in some areas, but for me the positives far outweighed the negatives. At the end of the day I'd very much rather play DD than something like Skyrim.

majik13

It's pretty meh compared to a lot of other games in the same genre.

Im going to have to disagree. For Open world games, I would say it's my top. Much better than Skyrim, etc imo. For more action game genre stuff, I dont play many so I cant compare. But the action, combat, platforming and exploration were all stellar.

KoopaTheCasual

Day/Night cycle was incredible. Night time actually meant something.

I agree the game was lacking in some areas, but for me the positives far outweighed the negatives. At the end of the day I'd very much rather play DD than something like Skyrim.
Oh, that goes without saying. I should have clarified that. I guess I just saw sooo much potential in the systems built into the game that I was sad that it was wasted on (imo) a very boring world (and pawn system). I feel if those base elements were changed, it definitely had all the working parts to be one of the best things ever.

But, it looks like we're never gonna get that chance.

The Maiden in Black? Astrea? Anastacia of Astora? Gwynevere? PRISCILLA!!! I mean, A quick glance at Souls series and posts in some of the threads can be eye opener.

I mean as a literal mechanic of the game ^^;

And from those 2 different ways, I'll take DD's gameplay over Souls gameplay any day of the week. Why are developers not ripping off this game?!

I wonder that as well.

As Angry Joe said, cutting at the ankles of monsters no longer cut it anymore.

I don't know if I should be elated or not.....god damn F2P.

The combat is the same despite being an "MMO" right?

Yes, combat is the same

Dragon’s Dogma Online is similar to previous entries terms of combat. Clinging attacks remain present. Players will battle against big enemies in dramatic battles, and monsters can become enraged, leading to fiercer attacks.

^^

Great. Day 1. I'm going to buy this just to support Dragons Dogma as a franchise.

Itsuno not being involved is a bummer but its also a good thing since this is a F2P title. He's probably working on another title.....DMC5?

Also the game is looking gooooood. Dat dragon looks brilliant.

Can we make a Dragon's Dogma Online Support Group thread? So we can get through this together?

localizations and servers I'd assume. It still is fucking bullshit. I would pay a decent amount for shit in-game.

Fuck you Capcom. FUCK YOU.

Brah calm down. They will localise this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its as we suspected. Capcom are even more cautious now with AAA development than ever before. So we just get less games, or this kind of thing unless they are funded and supported by Sony or MS..

DRAGON'S DOGMA

Massa

IGN gave it a 7.5 which could explain the poor sales in the US.

Yet another case of IGN marking down a game that plays it a little bit different.
IGN's reviews are now basically an indicator of how mainstream a game is (ie how well it fits into current trends) regardless of quality.

The same IGN that gave Grim Fandango a 9.3?

Sorry, but I don't see how that's true. Their reviewer just didn't like Dragon's Dogma, like a lot of other didn't. Opinions and all.

BadWolf

Itsuno not being involved is a bummer but its also a good thing since this is a F2P title. He's probably working on another title.....DMC5?

DDO is being directed by Kento Kinoshita, the head planner of DD and director of Dark Arisen, it is in good hands I think.

And yeah, the chances of a DMC5 just increased further.

Brah calm down. They will localise this.

I'm emotional right now. This is like the only IP I care about in Capcom and my favorite action-rpg combat wise. So much potential. I don't trust Capcom to bring it to the West until Deep Down gets a chance to sign and no way in hell is Sony helping in bringing it over.

Abandon all hope ye who Woof here.

I'm emotional right now. This is like the only IP I care about in Capcom and my favorite action-rpg combat wise. So much potential.

I was like you this morning Just totally upset by the news. Why can't they handle their IP with some respect for their fans. Or even just the game design.

It's not like multiplayer is what made the first Dragon's Dogma good anyway. It didn't need to be a PSO clone. There's no reason it'd benefit from being F2P, it's just greed.

BadWolf

I was like you this morning Just totally upset by the news. Why can't they handle their IP with some respect for their fans. Or even just the game design.

It's not like multiplayer is what made the first Dragon's Dogma good anyway. It didn't need to be a PSO clone. There's no reason it'd benefit from being F2P, it's just greed.

Not having multiplayer in the first game was a big misstep.

Just think of it this way, it was probably either DDO or a shelved IP.

Yes I agree. Combat and exploration were its high points, which is why it'd suit an MMO so well. Did it even have a story? I don't remember, as most everything else about the game lacked personality. The Brine are the worst invisible wall ever.

Not a fan of MMO games at all so im gutted they went this way with Dragons Dogma as it was one of my fave games of last gen.

Eurogamer states tho that there is no plans for a western release?

majik13

Yes I agree. Combat and exploration were its high points, which is why it'd suit an MMO so well. Did it even have a story? I don't remember, as most everything else about the game lacked personality. The Brine are the worst invisible wall ever.

it's much better than just inexplicably dieing, in what seems like a totally playable area, like in Destiny and such.

Verendus

Banned
A little surprised by such a negative reaction to this. Well, I understand the F2P bit I guess. Aside from that though, this is a new Dragon's Dogma with a new story, areas, and you now have other people playing with you, which is what I saw a lot of people saying would be good to have a while back reading the GAF threads. It's not the same thing as the original obviously (since that was an offline RPG), and more of an evolution, but I got the feeling from GAF impressions, that most people loved the combat, exploration, and monster fighting aspect of the game rather than anything else like the story.

If they deliver on that aspect, ignoring the F2P, would this really be that bad for fans?

Not a fan of MMO games at all so im gutted they went this way with Dragons Dogma as it was one of my fave games of last gen.

Eurogamer states tho that there is no plans for a western release?

This isn't an MMO. Not sure why it's even mentioned at all.

The only MMO like stuff is the town hub you can go into with 100 other prople bring around. But it's just town. Outside of town it will just be you and 4 pawns or 4 other players or a combination

A little surprised by such a negative reaction to this. Well, I understand the F2P bit I guess. Aside from that though, this is a new Dragon's Dogma with a new story, areas, and you now have other people playing with you, which is what I saw a lot of people saying would be good to have a while back reading the GAF threads. It's not the same thing as the original obviously (since that was an offline RPG), and more of an evolution, but I got the feeling from GAF impressions, that most people loved the combat, exploration, and monster fighting aspect of the game rather than anything else like the story.

If they deliver on that aspect, ignoring the F2P, would this really be that bad for fans?

Wish I could say I was surprised. Par for the course these days it seems. F2P is looked upon like a dark plague in these parts. We shall see. But a new dragons dogma is awesome

DDO is being directed by Kento Kinoshita, the head planner of DD and director of Dark Arisen, it is in good hands I think.

And yeah, the chances of a DMC5 just increased further.

Those are certainly good hands. I can see it now though......the armour and weapons loot in DA was already a pain to get due to having to uncursify items and there were microtransactions in that game already. I pray they don't take things too far.

I'm emotional right now. This is like the only IP I care about in Capcom and my favorite action-rpg combat wise. So much potential. I don't trust Capcom to bring it to the West until Deep Down gets a chance to sign and no way in hell is Sony helping in bringing it over.

Abandon all hope ye who Woof here.

Deep Down is a weird case but I have always believed it will get localised. It was announced at the PS4 reveal event after all. Its freaking F2P as well and had english voices.

DDO will get localised. 100%. They ain't going to miss out on the Western success of the PS4 and also the PC base in the West.

What I am depressed by is that this could very well be the death of DD2. If its a success they will continue with expansions, if its a failure they will can DD as a franchise. I don't think Capcom is willing to invest the large amount of money needed to create a AAA next gen open world JRPG, especially since DD did not perform particularly well.

This could be the end.....so I'm praying that the game is amazing, which it is very likely to be, unless the F2P mechanics are notorious.

BadWolf

I am sure people would be satisfied with that.

They just don't trust Capcom to do F2P right. Deep Down being F2P had people start worrying as well.

They Deep Down AND Dragon's Dogma are f2p, 4 man party multiplayer games? Wut?

It's pretty meh compared to a lot of other games in the same genre.
Please tell me which ones, as I can think of a single open world game with such an accomplished combat system.

Will there be callouts so I can let my party know that there is strength in numbers? my raid party needs to know this.

"wolves hunt in packs" remover microtransation.

Only 10 dolla!

images

Thats really the only major problem right now.

What you described sounds like a dream but armour and weapons were very important in DD and thats where the F2P bit seems worrying. Also it being cross gen probably dampens the prospect a bit as well.

The director is the same as for Dark Arisen.

That is mostly a copy-paste battle system from DD though, would they do the same here? Would that even work with online without people teleporting all over the place?

I won't be very optimistic until I've seen stuff...

That being said, Itsuno not involved means he's probably working on DMC5, which is only good news.

TheHall

No, it's just the typical GAF kneejerk to F2P.

More DD is always good....if it makes to US/EU

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
it didnt really bomb, it did something like 1.1 or 1.3 million. Capcom consideres anything doing over 1 million a success. They had hoped it would have done something like several million though. So it was under expectations.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and no one would be able to predict such a cult hit, but it has become exceedingly obvious that not originally releasing a PC version was detrimental to the entire product.
At this point, the game isn't being featured as prominently on store shelves and the rest of the sales are cannibalized by the used market. A potential PC version would still be selling hundreds of thousands of copies whenever it would be featured on the front page of Steam.

Just very sad considering a port of the game would have been very cheap due to MT Framework.

For solid numbers, on their site they say Dragon's Dogma sold 1.3mil. They also say the franchise sold 2.2 mil. So 1.3 for Dragon's Dogma, and 0.9mil for Dark Arisen. Those are pretty damn solid sales numbers for a brand new franchise.

G2Vw9WL.png

tHc3G59.png

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

I do agree that a PC release would really bolster platform sales though. It's a perfect game for the PC market.

Top Bottom