• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

convo

Why did you guys get happy by the announement? F2P or not, they just took one of the best offline single player games and turned it online. It's terrible.

What? I always wanted coop to be possible. I was honestly confused that the first games were not.I don't put this kind of experience in the same vain as dark souls, even if it is inspired by it. And there is still the option for pawns. If you are disappointed that it is not a retail game then it is understandable, but it is capcom we are talking about they gotta make something stick to make money.

majik13

If Capcom doesn't do it themselves, I don't blame them. The game bombed in the US, if a recall correctly.

Edit: They should at least make Sony foot the localization bill and then throw it up on NA/UK PSN.

it didnt really bomb, it did something like 1.1 or 1.3 million. Capcom consideres anything doing over 1 million a success. They had hoped it would have done something like several million though. So it was under expectations.

EGOMON

Dragon's Dogma is most probably the only game in recent memory universally loved by everyone I don't recall anyone not liking this game or not praise it. How it didn't sell very well is a mystery to me

Grief.exe

it didnt really bomb, it did something like 1.1 or 1.3 million. Capcom consideres anything doing over 1 million a success. They had hoped it would have done something like several million though. So it was under expectations.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and no one would be able to predict such a cult hit, but it has become exceedingly obvious that not originally releasing a PC version was detrimental to the entire product.
At this point, the game isn't being featured as prominently on store shelves and the rest of the sales are cannibalized by the used market. A potential PC version would still be selling hundreds of thousands of copies whenever it would be featured on the front page of Steam.

Just very sad considering a port of the game would have been very cheap due to MT Framework.

When this come to the west, I will download it day one. And I hope I can buy levels and weapons for my character. Because I don't have time to grind anymore.

I welcome our micro-transaction overlords.

KoopaTheCasual

In the US??? Pretty the original release barely managed 1.5million world wide, and it did well in Japan.

Kuni

F2P? That's a shame.... That's a damn shame... Was wanting to see a Dogma with coop mp and this is quitenthe disappointment. Hope that this model and varients thereof stays the exception and doesn't become the norm :(

Erasus

I never played Dragons Dogma but this sounds right up my alley! :D Ill play it if it comes here. DD looks great from what I have seen.

I mean Im gonna try it since its free

But with Any F2Play game you sit there in anticipation of the moment where they are gonna ask you to open your wallet and for how much

I would rather just PAY for a full and complete game that isn't actively searching and experimenting with the best ways to make money

Hell I prefer the Destiny model to this. At least with Destiny I know exactly what I am getting and dont have to worry about a store page popping up.

unsightly

I don't really understand the appeal of DD. Seems like it can't figure out if it wants to be Dark Souls or Skyrim, kinda failed at both.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Awwwww yeeeeeeeee

I have the biggest shit eating grin right now.

Street Fighter V and this? Take all my money.

I don't really understand the appeal of DD. Seems like it can't figure out if it wants to be Dark Souls or Skyrim, kinda failed at both.

Gameplay wise it is more like Monster Hunter mixed with some open world RPG and some dungeon crawling.

Best I can think of is a more stylized monster Hunter mixed with Dragons Age and some Dungeon crawling as well

majik13

In the US??? Pretty the original release barely managed 1.5million world wide, and it did well in Japan.

Yeah I was refering to WW, I think its listed as 1.3 million. Not sure if that includes anything from Sony doing the PS+ deal as well? probabaly not. Also heard that combined with Dark Arisen it did something like 2 million. But not sure how accurate that info is. (Some other Gaffer mentioned that) But yeah not sure about NA sales, perhaps it did bomb here. But I think they are in a better position with all the good word of mouth it gets. I think it would be bad business to keep such a large game solely in Japan.

TalonJH

It all clicks when you fight your first big monster and you climb up it's back and stab it with your sword.

No way this is going to stay JPN exclusive
I just don't feel like Sony would get involved if they couldn't release it in the west. We're pretty much always told that "there are no plans to release in the west". I work with PR people and the "there are no plans" line is pretty common. I mean, we were also told that "there were no plans" to release the Borderland Pre-sequel on XB1 and PS4.

mollipen

Dragon's Dogma is most probably the only game in recent memory universally loved by everyone I don't recall anyone not liking this game or not praise it. How it didn't sell very well is a mystery to me

I loved the game, but thought the Pawn system was utter garbage (to the point it made me like the game less than I should have). My co-worker hated the game, in part but not limited to the Pawn system's problems.

So no, it's not universally loved!

Zukuu

Banned
They Deep Down AND Dragon's Dogma are f2p, 4 man party multiplayer games? Wut?

It's pretty meh compared to a lot of other games in the same genre.

Niosai

I intentionally didn't play the original game due to worries about fretting over another entryin the series. I might give it a shot now!

If by other games you mean just the Soul series then that's somewhat understandable if open to debate.

Because if there's two things Soul doesn't have, its climbing up big ass monsters and casting big ass spells.

Also, waifus.

They Deep Down AND Dragon's Dogma are f2p, 4 man party multiplayer games? Wut?

If by genre, you mean action-RPG, then I can't think of many games that have a combat system in that genre that beat Dragon's Dogma.

Skilletor

It doesn't play anything like the souls games. The only thing they have in common is fantasy.

To me, it was always an evolution of the two D & D beatemups capcom made.

Top Bottom