• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

Kandinsky

I have been waiting for a DA PC/PS4/X1 remaster to play it, but with these news I doubt it will ever happen, so yeah ordering it as we speak.

Elandyll

Banned
Wow the emotions...

why.gif

I guess the table is set for Sony to swoop in as the savior at E3 to announce "WE ... will ... Publish ... Dragon's Dogma Online in Europe and North America!!" - Crowd goes wild

;)

PS: I do not mean to poke fun at, I simply haven't had the chance to play DD yet so far, and might one day get to it when I find some time between real life+kids+humongous Steam and PS4 backlog

Ichabod

Banned
Withholding lamentation and judgement until I see how Capcom plays the microtransaction card. If its like Warframe, I can deal.

F2P with Microtransactions means you can't do shit without spending money these days. Oh well.

If it weren't F2P you would be spending $60 anyway. So, it's weird to start griping at a game when you can play it for free and only spend money when you really want to, or spend money on something you may want.

I've put tons of hours into War Thunder and Warframe and Loaded and Planetside and puzzle and dragons and have probably spent a combined total over the years of $50. If each game was regular priced it would be $215 or so

guys lets calm down
yes its Capcom but just cause its F2P doesnt automatically make it a bad game
there are good ones out there
you just gotta find em

guys lets calm down
yes its Capcom but just cause its F2P doesnt automatically make it a bad game
there are good ones out there
you just gotta find em

Exactly, there's plenty of good and shitty F2P games. The game plays like Dragons Dogma, that's good news. If the F2P model is terrible, I'll be right with everyone else hating on it. But right now, I'm just happy we're getting the game.

Best case scenario would be a Dota 2/TF2 F2P model of course, but I'd take something like League's model as well. Or really any of the good F2P models out there.

Believe in the E3 Western announcement.

aravuus

No Western release is some bullshit

Literally just opened this thread and fucking almost screamed from happiness and WHAT?????

NO WESTERN RELEASE ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

WHAT THE FUCK

motherfucker i'm even okay with f2p as long as it plays like dd and i won't be forced to pay at any point (no stamina system or anything like that shit) but FUCK YOU CAPCOM

The irony is that most people in the thread didn't read that there are no plans for a release in the west.

Isn't that usually what is said at first? No plans to release on that console. No plans for this, no plans for that.

I'm sure they are gauging reaction and demand overseas before committing anything or shopping a publisher for the western release. Something like that .

MS seriously needs to secure more f2p titles on the Bone.

But this makes sense in Japan as the MS console hasn't got any install base there. Well it has, but it numbers less than 50k owners doesn't it?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There is absolutely no way this doesn't come out in the West. They probably just haven't worked out details and won't make anything official until they do.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why did you guys get happy by the announement? F2P or not, they just took one of the best offline single player games and turned it online. It's terrible.

To all those worried: There is no way this doesn't get released in the West. Even if it's not Capcom that does it, it will get released here some way. Only downside is that there will probably be a decent wait in between JP release and Western.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, shit... that's definitely not the direction I wanted it to take. F2P, too... damn.

I guess I'll wait until there's more to go on before making a decision, but I expect complete and utter disappointment.

The irony is that most people in the thread didn't read that there are no plans for a release in the west.

At the time Eurogamer asked for a quote (and still now) the only official statement was from Capcom Japan and it was a short blurb basically saying "we are going to be releasing details with a Famitsu exclusive later this week." It makes sense that Capcom Europe isn't going to give any details when there haven't even been any details released in Japan. We aren't even supposed to officially know what system its coming out for yet. So "no plans" from Capcom Europe doesn't really mean anything at this point.

Why did you guys get happy by the announement? F2P or not, they just took one of the best offline single player games and turned it online. It's terrible.

Ehhh. Dragon's Dogma was a game that was screaming to be co-op. I mean, I do wish this had a single player option (and it kind of sounds like it does), but it was a no-brainer that the next one would incorporate co-op somehow and a lot of people were asking for it (myself included).

TheHall

Except that everyone who played the original game was bitching about the lack of co-op with friends.

IvorB

Don't be so pessimistic. It could turn out great. People were always moaning about no online for the original anyway. To a starving man, bread is bread. No matter whether you would prefer brown or white.

injurai

Banned
Dragon's Dogma Online a console action rpg that is being shoehorned into an MMO.

Deep Down, a console action rpg that is about playing an action rpg that was shoehorned into an MMO.

Capcom what are you doing?

AndyD

aka andydumi
F2P with Microtransactions means you can't do shit without spending money these days. Oh well.

That's my fear as well. I was hoping for a full game release of DD with coop play and/or MP scenarios a la Dragon Age. Let's hope they take the Valve approach and monetize visual/decorative stuff and not consumables or "time" or pay to win stuff.

Don't be so pessimistic. It could turn out great. People were always moaning about no online for the original anyway. To a starving man, bread is bread. No matter whether you would prefer brown or white.

"That was the best damn bread that I ever had! That wasn't some normal piece of bread, was it? That must of been Wonder Bread!"

Paraphrasing Eddie's starving man cracker bit. :)

OuterLimits

Kind of excited but many things are concerning.

Not sure if this will even come to the West. I think it will but won't get excited until it is official.

Still a cross gen game which actually seems logical since Japan will be the main market for the game and the PS4 is selling like shit there. However, it is a bit of a bummer the game will be limited by a 9 year old console.

Capcom has made dumb decisions in the past. I don't terribly mind F2P, but I certainly am wary when it comes to Capcom. They are struggling financially so I expect them to be pushing microtransactions hard in the game. Hopefully the pricing structure is decent and my expectations are wrong.

Except that everyone who played the original game was bitching about the lack of co-op with friends.

From the way it sounds this isn't just going to be the original with online. They are comparing the size to the original, but not the content. Either way, I was originally hoping the first game would get a multiplayer release, but new content is also perfectly fine, just as long as it's good.

I just don't know if I'm going to even get excited for this until we get more info on what kinds of things microtransactions will actually govern.

finalflame

All these people mad about not wanting to play a free game

F2P model is the bane of gaming. It's utter bullshit. I'd rather pay $60 for a complete game than be stringed along with microtransactions until I've spent $100+ and still am paying to win. This model is fucking terrible.

aravuus

Cause it's literally this or nothing? Not a hard thing to grasp, if this does well, I'm sure they'll at least reconsider a proper DD sequel. Maybe.

Also wtf coop DD sounds amazing?

Muzicfreq

Banned
If Capcom doesn't do it themselves, I don't blame them. The game bombed in the US, if a recall correctly.

Edit: They should at least make Sony foot the localization bill and then throw it up on NA/UK PSN.

Even subtitles would be fine.
next all we need is a few us servers and a few eu servers.

Top Bottom