• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

velociraptor

They can coexist. Here's the official description of DriveClub

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/

Cutting edge graphics is really the only thing that it has in common with GT. This game is heavily based on social interaction and supercars. It's much more in line with the recent NFS titles than GT. At least from the description.

Besides, isn't Driveclub an arcade racer like PGR?

I doubt it will have a driving model anything like the one featured in Gran Turismo 5.

It was reported that they wanted to use the Gran Turismo brand for the title but Kazunori Yamauchi said no.

Its a good thing to say no. Driveclub isn't GT and to think of a title is something creative as well. Driveclub is a perfect name and it is up to Sony and Evolution Studios to promote the game as the next racer out there.

yurinka

Seems that Ami (that hot CM from SCE Liverpool) is now in Evolution too.

As I remember was posted a link to LinkdIn in gaf about the number of Bizarre coworkers who went to Evolution/SCE vs the guys who went to MS. Tried to find yesterday without luck. Can you help me, gaf?
Besides, isn't Driveclub an arcade racer like PGR?
I'd love it to be an arcade, in order to differientiate it form GT as much as possible.

Comparisons to PGR are being made, I assume mostly because of ex-Bizarre folks being involved.

So far (and we haven't seen much, admittedly) the thing from PGR that I'm missing is the city environment. To me, that's as big a part of what differentiated it from from GT and Forza as the gameplay.

We could still see it, I suppose.

Why are people even comparing this to Gran Turismo? Because it has cars and they look good?

It's a racing game from Sony using real cars. The comparisons are inevitable. Once we actually see the game in action and understand how the socially-enabled campaign works, then we'll see the differences.

mr_nothin

Banned
Comparisons to PGR are being made, I assume mostly because of ex-Bizarre folks being involved.

So far (and we haven't seen much, admittedly) the thing from PGR that I'm missing is the city environment. To me, that's as big a part of what differentiated it from from GT and Forza as the gameplay.

We could still see it, I suppose.

All I've been seeing is people saying GT is redundant and asking why do we need it since we have Drive Club. It makes no sense...

Ding-Ding

I hope so too. Lucid Games are making PGR5 though.

I really doubt that now. With Lucid only being 33 members strong, it was going to be a push to develop a full blown PGR title to begin with.

Now that Lucid has been confirmed by Sony's announcement that they are a confirmed PS4 developer, the chances of being a 2nd party under MS publishing, developing PGR5 seem extremely unlikely.

The most logical thought is they will be a developer for PSN, XBLA and probably ios.

If PGR5 is in development, its more likely its being done by another developer

I am very excited about this game. The graphics look fantastic and it seems to really be a game made by people who love cars and racing.

Just thinking about the kinds of events we could do with a GAF club is enough for me to grab this game Day 1.

Hmm...too early to call the OT? lol

Xun

I really doubt that now. With Lucid only being 33 members strong, it was going to be a push to develop a full blown PGR title to begin with.

Now that Lucid has been confirmed by Sony's announcement that they are a confirmed PS4 developer, the chances of being a 2nd party under MS publishing, developing PGR5 seem extremely unlikely.

The most logical thought is they will be a developer for PSN, XBLA and probably ios.

If PGR5 is in development, its more likely its being done by another developer
Just because they're small doesn't mean they aren't at least helping with PGR5.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well that would be quite sad. You're probably right, we have an Evolution employee on the board, I'm sure he'd say if it was 60fps. :p Because why would you hide that fact? Meh. Hopefully it is not 30fps, though.
It's got motion blur so yeah, I'll sayy 30FPS. Motion blur in 60FPS looks kinda stupid so I doubt they'd add it.

But that short video of this looked so, so amazing. I just want to drive in that creamy sunset.

jett

D-Member
Its a good thing to say no. Driveclub isn't GT and to think of a title is something creative as well. Driveclub is a perfect name and it is up to Sony and Evolution Studios to promote the game as the next racer out there.

Gran Turismo: Driveclub.

I think it's just an asshole move to deny your fellow Sony racing developers, struggling developers that is(made out of ex-Bizarre and Sony Liverpool people), the chance to secure at least a modest amount of sales.

I've lost all respect for Yamauchi if the report is factual. Not like I had much for the guy after the standard cars debacle.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I think it's just an asshole move to deny your fellow Sony racing developers, struggling developers that is(made out of ex-Bizarre and Sony Liverpool people), the chance to secure at least a modest amount of sales.

I've lost all respect for Yamauchi if the report is factual. Not like I had much for the guy after the standard cars debacle.
Yeah, it worked fine for Forza Horizon, so they probably thought of doing that cross branding here as well. Don't see why not, but I can understand Yamauchi being fiercely protective over his baby.

Loudninja

Are you kidding me?So they are assholes because they dont wont another dev to use their name?

This game is not GT,and just using the name for sales is silly.

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
Yeah, it worked fine for Forza Horizon, so they wanted to do that cross branding here as well. Don't see why not, but I can understand Yamauchi being fiercely protective over his baby.

Fiercely protective about his 800 asstacular PS2 car models.

Are you kidding me?So they are assholes because they dont wont another dev to use their name?

It's not even theirs. It's Sony's. The guy is just being a selfish dick.

I´m in the other end of the spectrum. Franchise whoring is bad, and they shouldn´t make it. In the future it weakens your brand. There´s no need to call this game GT if it isn´t GT. I would do the same if i was Yamauchi.

Let them create THEIR game.

Loudninja

I´m in the other end of the spectrum. Franchise whoring is bad, and they shouldn´t make it. In the future it weakens your brand. There´s no need to call this game GT if it isn´t GT. I would do the same if i was Yamauchi.

Yeah I am really surprise that people find that acceptable.

Elixist

It's a team based racing game that seems to take place in NFS-style envionments. Why would that make GT6 redundant?

dude they seem very close to the same to me, realistic cars, realistic environments, they even wanted to use the GT name. So this and GT could release at launch and people wouldnt choose 1 or the other? come on now im sure the new GT will have similar social bullshit as well.

FStop7

Banned
dude they seem very close to the same to me, realistic cars, realistic environments, they even wanted to use the GT name. So this and GT could release at launch and people wouldnt choose 1 or the other? come on now im sure the new GT will have similar social bullshit as well.

GT leans toward the sim side of things.

I'm expecting DriveClub is going to lean toward the Forza Horizon side of things.

Franchise whoring is bad but Sony launches glorified demos for 40€ euros with no problem.

This could be at least wear the Gran Turismo as subtitle, I don't know why shouldn't as long as is a quality game.

Not sharing the GT branding is ok in my book but if they dont share car models back and forth then Sony need to really stop giving PD that much freedom because thats pretty dumb.

Elixist

GT leans toward the sim side of things.

I'm expecting DriveClub is going to lean toward the Forza Horizon side of things.

but we dont iknow that, which makes a bad argument for either side. but i think its easy to see
from what we have to look at now, why people like myself and others view having this game and GT from first party redundant.

Endo Punk

I'm glad PD didn't let Evolution use the GT name and I say this as a huge fan of their games particularly the Motorstorm franchise. GT has it's own identity and two similar racing games can exist exclusively on a system. Sony have done this plenty times in the past with shooters and platformers. The idea that Sony should let the names of their popular IPs be used for new games is just stupid imo, what's next? Uncharted: The Last Guardian.

Amagon

This game really impressed during the conference. Whenever the PS4 comes out, I would like to pick up this title.

mckmas8808

Banned

Yamauchi created GT from scratch. Noway he just hands the name out like that without personal involvement.

GT5 already has some social stuff. My point is that GT is a circuit based sim racer, while tihs game at least appears to have an open world feel to it. And at the very least they describe the locations as being "exotic", wich falls more in line with a Test Drive Unlimited environment description than a GT description. It's also a game that's about including every type of car. At one TGS, Kaz made a big deal out of including the SambaBus and Kubelwagen in GT5. That's what the series is about. It doesn't revolve around supercars like this game.

And sure people would likely choose one over the other if they were both out at launch. But if a Crash Team Racing and GT were out at launch, then GT would trounce it as well, because it's GT. It doesn't matter if they're both realistic or if one is cartoony while the other is realistic.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Out of all the PS4 games shown this one impressed me the least, which sucks cause I was very excited to see what it was. The graphics just seem lacking for a PS4 game. Im sure by E3 and definitely launch they will be greatly improved.

If DriveClub, KZ, and the Witness make launch that will be a very impressive lineup
I agree with this statement. Also infamous won't be too far behind and hopefully PlanetSide 2 will be close to launch as well. That'll keep me busy for a while.

I hope they show actual gameplay at e3. I want to be impressed and I like Evolution games. Particularly pacific rift. I want this to be a great game.

Before they showed the F1 vehicles, I got serious Project Gotham vibes, did anyone get the same or am I going crazy?

I honestly thought we were about to see a new PGR be revealed.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Driveclub and Killzone as launch games would be perfect for me.

there is a big possibility for this, Killzone 3 and MotorStorm: Apocalypse got released in 2011, both studio were working on them since then most likely.

for racing games only I'd like Driveclub and RR8 on PS4 launch,but I'm not sure about Namco nowdays.

Soi-Fong

I don't get why people are questioning this game.. If anything I hope this allows developers from both PD and Evolution to bounce ideas off each other.

Collaboration leads to innovation.

We should be happy we have two really good racing developers in Sony's grasps.

DBT85

I wonder if showing so little of the game has garnered Evolution some of the more negative comments from this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more about the game, I just wish an extra 30 seconds of the game had been shown at the event.

I think this game was also the last one from the conference to get a dedicated thread too wasn't it?

Game looks nice but if it is 30fps or you can only drive in first persons view they can go to hell.
Good thing Kaz did let them use GT name if that happens .

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Getting this and Killzone along with my PS4 day 0.

Reminds me of my launch 360 and PD0/PGR3 combo.

Stark

Banned
I wonder if showing so little of the game has garnered Evolution some of the more negative comments from this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more about the game, I just wish an extra 30 seconds of the game had been shown at the event.

I think this game was also the last one from the conference to get a dedicated thread too wasn't it?

Going by the previous post, at least one of the devs don't seem too happy keeping quiet.

I'd love to know more as I look forward to this.

Top Bottom