• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Deadstar

Since pacific rift is the best all time racer, i expect huge things from Evolution. Don't disappoint me.

This game doesn't really do it for me but we'll see. I much prefer the more arcadey racer type like Pacific Rift, which is my favorite racing game of last generation. The levels were absolutely mind blowing. I hope they do a motorstorm game after they are done with this one.

wouwie

I wonder if showing so little of the game has garnered Evolution some of the more negative comments from this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more about the game, I just wish an extra 30 seconds of the game had been shown at the event.

I think this game was also the last one from the conference to get a dedicated thread too wasn't it?

I agree. It's more of a teaser than a full reveal so there are at this point a lot of questions and few answers. The teaser has a mere 10 or 15 seconds actual gameplay and even then, it's difficult to get an idea of how the game looks. But the same could be said about inFamous 2nd son and Knack, who also had little gameplay.

I have been rewatching the trailer a few times and i'm positive at this point. Cars sound great, seem to have a good sense of speed/being in the car and i have a feeling that the graphics will look very nice. Really liked the road texture and cars.

I assume that most of the ps4 games will be fully revealed at E3.

Pacific Rift with a real cockpit view would be a personal dream come true.

that was more or less the 2005 original trailer.
Driveclub, does not excite me as much. For now. But a true 60 fps Motorstorm with physics in a nice setting (not town again, PLEASE) would do it for me.

velociraptor

Driveclub, does not excite me as much. For now. But a true 60 fps Motorstorm with physics in a nice setting (not town again, PLEASE) would do it for me.

I've never really cared for Motorstorm. The retarded (rubberbanding) A.I. is one of the biggest reasons why I'll never play it.

Not much can excite as much as going full throttle across broken ground while in the middle of a packed Motorstorm herd with monster trucks and giant semis inches away kicking up mud.

Not much at all really.

But is this new game sim or arcade? Looks sim, and while that may be less exciting for some, a well modeled physics sim makes for some incredibly deep racing.

Afrikan

Although I'm excited for this game, I was a bigger fan of the Motorstorm series.

it could turn out for the best however. Evolution is huge now...so I'm sure they already have a next Gen Motorstorm in the early planning stages.

if there is a Motorstorm for PS4, it would be their second run at the system, so it would look even that more amazing.

thuway

Gran Turismo: Driveclub.

I think it's just an asshole move to deny your fellow Sony racing developers, struggling developers that is(made out of ex-Bizarre and Sony Liverpool people), the chance to secure at least a modest amount of sales.

I've lost all respect for Yamauchi if the report is factual. Not like I had much for the guy after the standard cars debacle.

If the reports are true, the design ethos behind this game is NOT SIM racing. In all honesty, Drive Club sounds like a sexy title, and it will be great to have a NEW IP in that direction. I also think 60 FPS is the target.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Evolution Studios plus a few new employees from Bizarre making Drive Club? Dream come true. Hopefyully ES has a small second team working on a new Motorstorm as well.

Going by the previous post, at least one of the devs don't seem too happy keeping quiet.

I'd love to know more as I look forward to this.

Might be that the team wish to answer questions from gamers here and elsewhere to clear up any confusion but are not able to do so due to NDA.

Personally I reckon once a game in formally revealed the developer should be free to talk about it as much as they want, even if its next gen.

Mobius 1

Gran Turismo is an extremely valuable brand that has spread outside of just the games.

I'd never dilute it by attaching the name to some other project. I'm sure Kazunori feels the same.

Emwitus

Gran Turismo is an extremely valuable brand that has spread outside of just the games.

I'd never dilute it by attaching the name to some other project. I'm sure Kazunori feels the same.

its the biggest sony game brand. not worth the risk

ZaCH3000

Since pacific rift is the best all time racer, i expect huge things from Evolution. Don't disappoint me.

This post makes me happy. Pacific Rift gets written off so quickly on this board for reasons that are never fully explained. The reality is I purchased it not based off GAFs impressions, or from gameplay footage but because of an impulse. For that reason, Pacific Rift was THE best purchase I made all of last gen.

Seriously, PR if mindblowing. One thing Evolution Studios nails are engine sounds, and hell sound in general. Their music selection matches the tone of the series as well. This will translate into DriveClub.

DriveClub is just the type of racing game I love because it isn't a sim racer like GT but it has the sim racer look. Give me that insane sense of speed, aggressive racing intensity found in PR, incredible engine sounds that exhibit the power of these marvelous machines and improve upon those satisfying destruction physics from the MotorStorm series and DriveClub is a day one purchase without hesitation.

And that is just what I want from the fundamental gameplay aspect which I'm fully confident Evolution will deliver. The "Club" aspect of DriveClub are added bonuses. The presenters enthusiasm has raised my hype for DriveClub, particularly with what they are doing with player challenges. I can't wait to hear more at E3!

kiyomi

One of my more speculative hopes for this game are that the idea of club/team-based racing is that it's somewhat predicated on the feature of being able to bring someone else into your game to help you out, as was mentioned at the PS Meeting. We still don't know exactly how that feature would work, but I'm guessing it might be a little too forward thinking to expect people to be able to take over from another player during an actual race, Le Mans endurance style? It would be exceptionally cool though.

Even if that doesn't materialise, I think the idea around DriveClub is pretty interesting and they could do put a new spin (no pun intended) on competitive racing. Certainly I can see lessons being learnt from DriveClub that might feed into more obvious PS racers.

No.

Do you/we generally know A LOT when a game has JUST been announced? No.

yeah that what I though. never meant to be offensive here but I really don't get why people get excited. I'm a fan of both evo and bizzare but this... just doesn't have enough info to make me excited. Let's wait and see how it drives

Dusky

yeah that what I though. never meant to be offensive here but I really don't get why people get excited. I'm a fan of both evo and bizzare but this... just doesn't have enough info to make me excited. Let's wait and see how it drives

I think people are excited because of its potential. For instance I'm very much liking the idea of team-based racing, if executed right it could be quite the laugh with a few mates.

Mr.Fresh

This game looks great. But im gonna be THAT guy and say I probly won't get it if there is no third person camera.

Edit: I hope there is a demo. Maybe ill like it more then I thought.

Stark

Banned
to quote:

You can choose other camera options if you prefer – but the true first-person-racing view from inside the cars is the most immersive way to experience Driveclub.

Put this in OP?

Got to say basing an entire game around team based racing is a fantastic idea. Do you think that means I can race with friends as a team against computer drivers, or will that be competitive against other people only?

Stark

Banned
Is weather dynamic while you're racing? I remember him talking about selecting and all when making challenges, but that's it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wait, that was the new Ariel Atom in the trailer?

tumblr_maebujvkot1r2uqvsnv.gif

Now I must purchase this. Driving the Atom in PGR 3 and 4 was so incredibly satisfying. Can't wait to blast past all these hypercars in a charged up go-kart.

Wait, that was the new Ariel Atom in the trailer?

[]http://www.abload.de/img/tumblr_maebujvkot1r2uqvsnv.gif[/]

Now I must purchase this. Driving the Atom in PGR 3 and 4 was so incredibly satisfying. Can't wait to blast past all these hypercars in a charged up go-kart.

Where?

I saw a Bac Mono, not an Atom.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Maybe this has been covered, but do you think Sony set this up as a symbiotic relationship with PD. Now they have a western studio to share assets and tools to push things forward at much faster speeds?

Should we expect GT6 with the same cars and game engine in 2014-2015?

There will be a third person camera.

It would be really nice if we can move the camera to the sides (and front) in third person view, so we can see the whole car. Unfortunately this doesn't exist in "Gran Turismo 5", if you use the buttons for side view the camera goes into first person mode and you actually look out of the car which is very wierd.

Coolwhip

Banned
They should change the hands in this game. The only thing I remember from the conference is thinking "plastic people, still in nextgen".

Mascot

If the reports are true, the design ethos behind this game is NOT SIM racing. In all honesty, Drive Club sounds like a sexy title, and it will be great to have a NEW IP in that direction. I also think 60 FPS is the target.

I really did used to believe that by the time PS4/720 rolled around, all games would be running at a rock-solid 60fps as a bare minimum. I look back now and laugh at my own stupidity.

Here's hoping Driveclub manages to squeeze 60fps out of the PS4's creaky old hardware.

Strife91

I really did used to believe that by the time PS4/720 rolled around, all games would be running at a rock-solid 60fps as a bare minimum. I look back now and laugh at my own stupidity.

Here's hoping Driveclub manages to squeeze 60fps out of the PS4's creaky old hardware.

Any console can run 60 fps. It's just a matter if developers want their game to do it or not.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
I would have preferred a new Motorstorm game closer to the original target render of the first game, the one showed in 2005, but this game looks really good. Let's hope we get new info soon, specially about car damage and the like.

Rushy

Evolution Studios plus a few new employees from Bizarre making Drive Club? Dream come true.

We've got a wide range of people working on the handling team ;)

"We expanded our vehicle handling and design team so that together, we have over 50 years’ experience working on the most prestigious racing titles out there, including – WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2 and many more."

Source: http://alturl.com/ng8bx

Not sharing the GT branding is ok in my book but if they dont share car models back and forth then Sony need to really stop giving PD that much freedom because thats pretty dumb.

That i can agree. They should share assets. There's a precedent already, GT5's London track uses assets from the cancelled Getaway PS3 game.

There's a bunch of cars in this trailer that are not on GT. They should be going back in fourth with the models, because it's a win-win situation.

Top Bottom