• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub making 'spectacular progress' release date update due 'in the weeks to come

Just please give me something like this...

pgr43dark8dxu.gif

pgr4gameplayf430scuderpecc.gif

Please.

is that pgr 4?

Hawk269

I'm among those in the target audience of this game. I've played a steady line of arcade-style racers. I'm very picky about the quality of these games, partly a carry-over from when the market was flooded with them. In my experience, 30 fps doesn't detract from this style of play, and the added visual styling can absolutely add to the experience. Even within the last generation, PGR 3 and 4, along with Forza Horizon were outstanding at 30 fps.

Games like Burnout Paradise and Blur are fantastic at 60 fps. I adores 60 fps gaming, but outside of simulation racing, I've never seen a racing title with a consistent 30 fps harmed for that fact.

Drive on.

iAJND9uhUbYcx.gif

While 60fps will always be preferred, like you said, there have been many great racing games at 30fps. Mostly, they are more arcade type of titles, but if done right 30fps can be very good. I do enjoy Forza games at 60fps because they are more sim than arcade like Forza Horizon, which like you said is a fantastic game at 30fps.

I just want this game to come out. It was one of the key titles I bought the PS4 for. Let's just hope that the delay is worth it.

katkombat

Banned
yea, truly the name of this game is the worse thing about it... At least that we know of, everything looked so awesome before it went underground, but FUCKING HASHTAG Driveclub?! Give me a break, what a juvenile name

for real.

And have we not seen ANYTHING since the delay?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I just want this game to come out. It was one of the key titles I bought the PS4 for. Let's just hope that the delay is worth it.

I'm in the same boat as you are. When I first heard the delay, I was bummed, but still picked up a PS4 due to the supply constraints they were predicting. I was hoping it would come out a few months after it launched, but we know how that turned out. ;p

Prototype

hmm, if this game is indeed making spectacular progress, why not show some of it off?

This would be far more reassuring then a statement.

Hawk269

hmm, if this game is indeed making spectacular progress, why not show some of it off?

This would be far more reassuring then a statement.

I would not read too much into the comment of "spectacular progress". I am sure it has gotten better, but what else are they going to say "It has gone to shit and we are working on it"??? Like any company, they are not going to say anything but positive things to keep the public amped for the game.

From what I have seen of the game before they went underground, it was looking pretty damn good. Like I mentioned a few posts above, I just hope the game comes out at this point. I am all for a delay if we get a better game, so let's us all hope that this is the case.

Prototype

I would not read too much into the comment of "spectacular progress". I am sure it has gotten better, but what else are they going to say "It has gone to shit and we are working on it"??? Like any company, they are not going to say anything but positive things to keep the public amped for the game.

From what I have seen of the game before they went underground, it was looking pretty damn good. Like I mentioned a few posts above, I just hope the game comes out at this point. I am all for a delay if we get a better game, so let's us all hope that this is the case.

of course, but maybe they could curb the hyperbole/sensationalism. "spectacular"? i hope so and will glady eat crow if I'm wrong, but using descriptions like that will most likely only let people down in the end.

Isn't the Game Director the one who insisted the game to be in 30fps?

All I can remember is that Rushy commented it was something they were having internal discussions about it. Like the artists that worked on the environments wanted to cram as much eyecandy in as they could, so they would prefer 30fps etc. I don't imagine the delay has anything to do with them being unable to decide what their target had to be. But still, it always seemed kind of odd to me that they were unsure about something like that, so close to release.

Theecliff

Banned
yea, truly the name of this game is the worse thing about it... At least that we know of, everything looked so awesome before it went underground, but FUCKING HASHTAG Driveclub?! Give me a break, what a juvenile name
The official title is Driveclub without the hashtag.

Fredrik

Time to cast your votes, Gaf!

If Evo can implement either 60 fps or dynamic weather, but not both, which one would make you happier?
Definitely 60fps.
I think I've seen every video out there and I still don't see what's the big deal with dynamic weather, I guess it's like Rivals with the sudden storms or something like that and that's cool and all but 60fps is sooo much better for this genre. Imo it's better for the gameplay and also for the visuals (when you're actually playing, not when you look at youtube videos capped at 30fps or when you're fighting the selective screen shot war).
I know lots of people like the weather effects though so my wish is that I can turn it off and and maybe drop the resolution to 720p and lock it at 60fps. I'd be perfectly happy with that. Day 0 if that happens.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I still have faith in Driveclub being this generation's PGR3 / PGR4.

30FPS is fine. Just get the controls and handling down so they are the perfect blend of sim and arcade.
60FPS is always welcome though, but that's a nearly impossible leap if you designed this game to be 30FPS from the start.

Fredrik

I still have faith in Driveclub being this generation's PGR3 / PGR4.

30FPS is fine. Just get the controls and handling down so they are the perfect blend of sim and arcade.
60FPS is always welcome though, but that's a nearly impossible leap if you designed this game to be 30FPS from the start.
They said that they were aiming for 60fps a while after the first reveal so I definitely don't think it would impossible, especially now that they've had more time to optimize the engine and find out more about how to get more out of the hardware.

TheCloser

Banned
Definitely 60fps.
I think I've seen every video out there and I still don't see what's the big deal with dynamic weather, I guess it's like Rivals with the sudden storms or something like that and that's cool and all but 60fps is sooo much better for this genre. Imo it's better for the gameplay and also for the visuals (when you're actually playing, not when you look at youtube videos capped at 30fps or when you're fighting the selective screen shot war).
I know lots of people like the weather effects though so my wish is that I can turn it off and and maybe drop the resolution to 720p and lock it at 60fps. I'd be perfectly happy with that. Day 0 if that happens.
Go buy forza or better yet, build a pc and play project cars at 120 fps. Consoles are not the place for tweaking graphics. I hate that shit on PC and that's why I will always buy the best gpu available(Titan or Titan z not included). It would be extremely unfair if your were racing at 60fps during multiplayer while others were racing at 30. The day I see graphics options on consoles is the day I stop buying them. Imagine some asking movie producers to enable framerate options on movies.

Fredrik

Go buy forza or better yet, build a pc and play project cars at 120 fps. Consoles are not the place for tweaking graphics. I hate that shit on PC and that's why I will always buy the best gpu available(Titan or Titan z not included). It would be extremely unfair if your were racing at 60fps during multiplayer while others were racing at 30. The day I see graphics options on consoles is the day I stop buying them. Imagine some asking movie producers to enable framerate options on movies.
I don't see the problem, the default option can be 30fps+motion blur and if you want you can just change it to 60fps in the options menu. And people on here says that there is no need for 60fps so it shouldn't be unfair if I race in 60 and they race in 30 from their point of view ;) Seriously though, I get that online could make things more complicated but if latency makes it crap in 30 compared to 60 then they could just have the 60fps graphics option change which server they log on to so it's always 30fps-vs-30fps or 60fps-vs-60fps and people can choose whatever they want. There is already a difference when playing games in 3D, this shouldn't be much different imo. DICE had an option in Motorhead to get it running at 25 or 50 fps depending on how many opponents you raced against. Worked perfectly. :)

Raist

Banned
for real.

And have we not seen ANYTHING since the delay?

A few 5-10secs clips on their facebook page. That's it.

They were supposed to released a longer video of a full race (meaning with other cars), but that got cancelled because of "marketing". Then it went dark.

The_Monk

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

Can't wait for a official release date. It's always good to keep the consumer informed. Specially now when the game was delayed and there was other worrying news. Will get the PS+ Version Day one and will upgrade for the full content if they price it right. Unless I can get a physical copy for a decent price.

Has this game been shown to the press outside of the special events? Its crazy how this game was suppose to be done 4 months ago, and now its status is a mystery.

Clockwork5

What kind downgrade? If mean the content I agreed. If there is no social networking then we might have more tracks and cars.

From previews I have seen, the screen is full of your friends avatars, best times, top speeds etc. They pop in, float around and look awful. It seems really distracting and dumb. I just want a next gen racing game. Not a connect via FB game.

iceatcs

From previews I have seen, the screen is full of your friends avatars, best times, top speeds etc. They pop in, float around and look awful. It seems really distracting and dumb. I just want a next gen racing game. Not a connect via FB game.
What's if you can turn the UI off, how do you will feel that?

I hope it will be in the option. It would happen if it is VR title because can't have UI stick on VR, but it seem unlikely a VR title.

Rushy

Rushy has an account here but I'm sure he still won't post.

Anyway, I'm calling it bullshit until they actually show us something to prove that the game still exists.
I'm still here, posting what I can and I can assure you that the whole DRIVECLUB team are working very hard to make the best racing game we can :)

I would like to think the delay was to get it to 60fps, as Rushy did post they were "targeting" that or something on here.

But then I really think that's being too optimistic.

Clockwork5

What's if you can turn the UI off, how do you will feel that?

I hope it will be in the option. It would happen if it is VR title because can't have UI stick on VR, but it seem unlikely a VR title.

Sure if it is only a UI element. These elements have a way of creeping into gameplay though. If the driving and car physics work well, the game looks good and the tracks are legit, I will be happy. I just hope the focus of the game is driving and cars. Not facebook and PSN.

Dinjooh

I'm still here, posting what I can and I can assure you that the whole DRIVECLUB team are working very hard to make the best racing game we can :)

Any chance of you guys doing an explanation for the past 6 months or so, and how development has been?

Much like what Watch_Dogs did when they re-released actually.

Time to cast your votes, Gaf!

If Evo can implement either 60 fps or dynamic weather, but not both, which one would make you happier?

Neither.

GPS track creator / track editor >>>>>> *

Didn't PGR 4 have a track editor with movable barriers? It's happening!

In Rushy Talbot I Trust.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Those games were objectively downgraded, they are worse, and we got nothing in replace of that downgrade, in fact they both look to run worse as well as look worse, that is a net loss, that justifies heavy criticism.

Taking a hit on the visuals for doubling the performance is not even vaguely comparable.

We can agree to disagree then? Because if it takes a graphics hit from what we've seen to get to 60FPS there will be pitchforks that it doesn't look as good as was shown before.

hitting 60 is targeting visuals.

It can be part of it, but I think most people care about other aspects. Because everything is a balance. If 60 can be hit with the visuals already presented, then great. If not, they will sacrifice one part to hit the other.

Top Bottom