• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub making 'spectacular progress' release date update due 'in the weeks to come

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
On GAF it would be almost universally praised, but yeah, maybe elsewhere there would be some backlash.

I actually kind of expect a rebranding when we see it.

Doubtful, because if the game released with a huge downgrade in graphics, but hit a higher framerate... everyone would trash the game as a huge downgrade.

Check Dark Souls 2, or Watch_Dogs threads.

If they want to hook casuals, it's all about content and features... a locked 30FPS that is prettier with more going on would be preferable to more people than a locked 60FPS that sacrificed a lot to get to it.

It's so funny to read these last few years about how all of a sudden 30FPS is so terrible, it's really not. 60FPS would be preferable, yes.. but honestly for me immersion in a game world is about so much more than just FPS.

Raonak

Banned
Im hoping 60fps doesn't happen. The
game looked amazing, would suck if there's a graphical downgrade even if it's for a framerate bump.

StuBurns

Banned
Doubtful, because if the game released with a huge downgrade in graphics, but hit a higher framerate... everyone would trash the game as a huge downgrade.

Oh shit, DS2 and WD have jumped to 60fps? How did I not hear about this... Wait.. That's not... I don't think... No?

AU Tiger

SCEE also confirmed that "DRIVECLUB does have a Game Director at the helm who we will be revealing very soon."

believe said:
Jack-Tretton-E3-2013.png

*Emerges on stage at E3*

"Drive club is done. 1080p/60fps"
"TLG is done and we've also completely overhauled SOC and ICO"

*Produces microphone from inner jacket pocket. Drops - proceeds to moonwalk flawlessly off the stage*

Iacobellis

Sony doesn't have anything lined up for June, and that was a big month in recent years. Gravity Rush, The Last of Us, etc..

Sorry if I'm dense but I still don't see it.

Is the idea that specifically going head to head with a competitor's game of the same genre is an incentive to buy a console for those who haven't bought a console yet? If so, why is that more of an incentive than the game coming out at any other time of the year - why is it better when competing directly against another title?

It seems like a strategy with more ways to lose than to win, and the win scenario doesn't seem like it'd be reap more rewards than just releasing the game when its not directly opposed.
You're not dense. I'm not claiming to know any better than you. Just sharing my thoughts on how I don't see why they'd hurt each other's sales if they launched at the same time, since there aren't many people who would be choosing between the 2. You can only buy games for the console you own, and I'd think the number of people who have both consoles AND would be torn between these 2 games is small.

And I'm not saying launching simultaneously is the best option. But if the game isn't ready to launch sooner, then at the latest maybe they don't want to launch after another game in the same genre. Because by then, many people will have bought an Xbone for FH, with nothing to compete on PS4.

*Produces microphone from inner jacket pocket. Drops - proceeds to moonwalk flawlessly off the stage*
Knowing Jack he'd throw it at the camera.

And I'm not saying launching simultaneously is the best option. But if the game isn't ready to launch sooner, then at the latest maybe they don't want to launch after another game in the same genre. Because by then, many people will have bought an Xbone for FH, with nothing to compete on PS4.
Thanks for the elaboration. I only bring it up since I've seen more than a few posts in DriveClub suggesting that Sony was holding it back specifically to go toe-to-toe against a Horizon 2, and yeah, I just don't get that strategy. Coming out before another game of the same genre? Sure. But even without that option then I'd rather my game came out after a decent interval rather than at the same time as a direct competitor.

More than anything I want it to be fun to play, connecting instally to online races with friends and being able to setup challenges and find other peoples as well. The eye candy and smooth framerate (whether rock solid 30 or 60fps) are merely the icing on the cake for me. I can wait till E3 for an update on this.

Also some realistic damage models would be nice. I really REALLY miss Burnout!!! :(

I still want to see how we can custom design our own challenges in this. Will it be simple like drifting for the longest period around a certain part of the course or will it allow crazier almost game breaking challenges like getting your car stuck in funny parts of the scenery :)

Oh goody, the 60FPS whining again. Per object Motion Blur > 60 FPS. YEAH I SAID IT.

Side note, I just want more peeks! Lemme see "dat spectacular progress". I love every new gif that comes out for this game, give me more!

Gestault

Exactly... haven't they said stuff pretty much exactly like this multiple times now?

Considering the primary information flow for this game is actively restricting information which is supposedly nothing to worry about is a bad sign. It's the opposite of promotion.

viveks86

Time to cast your votes, Gaf!

If Evo can implement either 60 fps or dynamic weather, but not both, which one would make you happier?

If they want to hook casuals, it's all about content and features... a locked 30FPS that is prettier with more going on would be preferable to more people than a locked 60FPS that sacrificed a lot to get to it.

It's so funny to read these last few years about how all of a sudden 30FPS is so terrible, it's really not. 60FPS would be preferable, yes.. but honestly for me immersion in a game world is about so much more than just FPS.

You are not what your tag says you are....

If Evo can implement either 60 fps or dynamic weather, but not both, which one would make you happier?

This is a racer, visuals are king.

You can turn the wheel left / right just fine at 30fps.

Haven't purposefully played a 60fps racer on the PC in ages.

noobasuar

Banned
Can't believe anyone would rather take greater visual fidelity over having a game be 60 FPS.

It's supposed to be a racing game for fucks sakes not a goddamn slideshow.

#DRIVECLUB |OT| ALWAYS BOLD. ALWAYS UPPERCASE. ALWAYS SOON!
Its why, soon after this game releases I'll create my own DriveClub named The Dichotomy Paradox.

Can't believe anyone would rather take greater visual fidelity over having a game be 60 FPS.

It's supposed to be a racing game for fucks sakes not a goddamn slideshow.
Its supposed to be the game they've already shown off several times, without downgrades. If they can do that at 60fps than great.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Oh shit, DS2 and WD have jumped to 60fps? How did I not hear about this... Wait.. That's not... I don't think... No?

We don't know what the FPS would have been in DS2, do we? It's pretty clear it would have been even shittier considering it's not great to begin with.

Same with WD, and we don't know if it's gonna hit 60 (it won't). The thread was long and people were upset.

So yes, if Driveclub sacrificed on the visual side from what HAS been shown considerably, and hit 60FPS there would be a huge backlash from a lot of people.

FPS is just one component to making a game good, some would argue that it's the most.. but I'd argue they are deep in the minority.

Personally, I'd sacrifice FPS for visuals every day all day.. as long as the framerate can hold a steady rate and not be so bad it hurts gameplay. I don't thik 30FPS is in any way unplayable, btw... before you come back that 30FPS sucks.

Dynamic Weather, all day.

Well yu are wrong but your are allowed to be that.

If this comes out anywhere close to Project Cars and isn't 60 FPS it will be ridiculous.

Meh, I'd rather have the increased frame time for more effects, and a game with good per object motion blur looks much better than a game simply running at 60 FPS. God of War 3 was and still is mind boggling in terms of visuals, and it was all due to it's incredible motion blur, giving it that CG like effect.

I'd rather Driveclub be 30FPS with amazing motion blur and CG like look than sacrifice to hit 60FPS. Bring on the weather!

Top Bottom