• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub making 'spectacular progress' release date update due 'in the weeks to come

StuBurns

Banned
We don't know what the FPS would have been in DS2, do we? It's pretty clear it would have been even shittier considering it's not great to begin with.

Same with WD, and we don't know if it's gonna hit 60 (it won't). The thread was long and people were upset.

So yes, if Driveclub sacrificed on the visual side from what HAS been shown considerably, and hit 60FPS there would be a huge backlash from a lot of people.
You're wrong.

And the point of the two games you mentioned was they both ran at 30fps in videos we saw. If DS2 and WD had ran at 15fps, you'd have a point, but they didn't, so you don't.

On GAF it would be almost universally praised, but yeah, maybe elsewhere there would be some backlash.

I actually kind of expect a rebranding when we see it.
Nah I doubt it - it'd be a 50/50 split. Just like there is in any 30/60 fps discussion. Many like the graphical side, many want the fabled 60 fps.

That's why they'd end up with a big backlash on downgrading because that 50% don't care for 60 fps. Or at least, give priority to the graphics.

But hey, here's hoping they can pull off both.

AU Tiger

This is a racer, visuals are king.

You can turn the wheel left / right just fine at 30fps.

Haven't purposefully played a 60fps racer on the PC in ages.

I've got project cars and assetto corsa and have played each of them both locked @ 60 and locked @ 30fps and the difference is noticeable.

Honestly though, I would take better visuals and LOCKED at 30fps over less visuals and locked at 60. It would have to be locked at one or the other because when I unlocked the frame rate of either of the PC sims but limited the max frame rate to 60, even though they never went below 60, that area in between messed with the feel of everything. Stuttering and tearing and lag just completely ruined the experience.

boingball

Well, Sony is saying that they wont announce anything on TLG (while it is also making progress) but here they are saying they will announce something soon. So DriveClub might come out earlier. But I believe it only when I see it.

meanspartan

JpKzc3r.png

Soon™!

Ugh so this makes "The weeks to come" sound just like an announcement of an announcement in which they will announce progress made so far and then announce when they will announce the release date.

Megasoum

Banned
Rushy has an account here but I'm sure he still won't post.

Anyway, I'm calling it bullshit until they actually show us something to prove that the game still exists.

My hype for this game went from 8/10 to 0/10. Just delays after delays...my hype was at the apex when they were releasing those 4 second gifs and trailers, while promising a big reveal "soon"

now I have no hope for this game.

Corto

Rushy has an account here but I'm sure he still won't post.

Anyway, I'm calling it bullshit until they actually show us something to prove that the game still exists.

He's reading though, I'm sure. *friendly waves*

GO BACK TO YOUR STATION! STOP WASTING TIME ON GAF!

Sorry not the director just involved

Hmm well if I know Sony when they don't want to announce the director assume it's M Night Shyamalan

Assume the foliage will attack your car as you drive, that dead racers will haunt your car and that the DS4 will sense your fear level to determine if an unexplained monster eats you for no particular reason

Sony's PR is smart

DC has a few hyped followers but now with all the delays and the articles about delays they are getting more and more awareness...

they're using TLG tactics except it will actually release

right guys... guys?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Time to cast your votes, Gaf!

If Evo can implement either 60 fps or dynamic weather, but not both, which one would make you happier?

Weather. I've played enough driving games at 30fps to be satisfied that it is enough if done well (motion blur etc)

As for timing..well if it isn't coming out now, I'd be tempted to use it as spoiling tactics against forza horizon. Come out too early, and forza gets a clear release slot. Come out head to head or slightly earlier and cast a shadow over it. (This presumes it is a better game, which might be a stretch. I'd put money on it looking better, but FH may play better)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You're wrong.

And the point of the two games you mentioned was they both ran at 30fps in videos we saw. If DS2 and WD had ran at 15fps, you'd have a point, but they didn't, so you don't.

I'm wrong? Doubtful. If a major graphics downgrade happens there will be outrage. 60FPS won't alleviate that at all.

The point of those 2 threads, isn't that they now hit 60, because one doesn't.. and the other probably won't... it was that it doesn't matter. The graphics downgrade was all that mattered.

It's fun to talk framerate, but when push comes to shove, people react over graphics at a considerably higher rate.

The framerate on GTAV sucked, but it was a pretty small minority of people who that really ended up being a problem for, even if that small minority was vocal.

Gestault

I'm among those in the target audience of this game. I've played a steady line of arcade-style racers. I'm very picky about the quality of these games, partly a carry-over from when the market was flooded with them. In my experience, 30 fps doesn't detract from this style of play, and the added visual styling can absolutely add to the experience. Even within the last generation, PGR 3 and 4, along with Forza Horizon were outstanding at 30 fps.

Games like Burnout Paradise and Blur are fantastic at 60 fps. I adores 60 fps gaming, but outside of simulation racing, I've never seen a racing title with a consistent 30 fps harmed for that fact.

Drive on.

iAJND9uhUbYcx.gif

StuBurns

Banned
I'm wrong? Doubtful. If a major graphics downgrade happens there will be outrage. 60FPS won't alleviate that at all.

The point of those 2 threads, isn't that they now hit 60, because one doesn't.. and the other probably won't... it was that it doesn't matter. The graphics downgrade was all that mattered.

It's fun to talk framerate, but when push comes to shove, people react over graphics at a considerably higher rate.

The framerate on GTAV sucked, but it was a pretty small minority of people who that really ended up being a problem for, even if that small minority was vocal.
Those games were objectively downgraded, they are worse, and we got nothing in replace of that downgrade, in fact they both look to run worse as well as look worse, that is a net loss, that justifies heavy criticism.

Taking a hit on the visuals for doubling the performance is not even vaguely comparable.

Raonak

Banned
Can't believe anyone would rather take greater visual fidelity over having a game be 60 FPS.

It's supposed to be a racing game for fucks sakes not a goddamn slideshow.

And since when is 30fps a slideshow? There's plenty of 30fps racers that play fine. This is an arcade racer too.
Leave 60fps for GT7 imo. DC targets visuals and effects, GT targets simulation and perfromance.

Ark

As long as the netcode is good (better than GT5) and it's 1080p with a solid framrate with no drops, I'll buy it day one (or download the PS+ version day one ;)).

And since when is 30fps a slideshow? There's plenty of 30fps racers that play fine. This is an arcade racer too.
Leave 60fps for GT7 imo. DC targets visuals and effects, GT targets simulation and perfromance.

I really hope the game doesn't sacrifice the visuals just to hit 60fps.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ged Talbot is the MSR/ PGR guy right? Would be sweet if he took over. He is too awesome to just be a designer at the studio imo.

TJP

The only Talbot I know is a defunct french car maker.
Who is it then?
Lead designer for Bizarre Creations; MSR, PGR's 1-4 and Blur are testament to why people want him to be the new game director for DriveClub.

hitting 60 is targeting visuals.

I know many feel that way, but it's not what I mean, and I'm sure you realize that.
If DriveClub goes from the current 30fps to 60fps, then it in all likelihood means something else will have to be toned down. The game currently looks gorgeous imo, and I don't think every game needs to be 60fps, even if it is a racer. Then again if DC is going to be Morpheus compatible I guess 60fps is a must.

If they can reach 60fps and still deliver all the visuals they have shown thusfar, great go for it. But I'm sure that if the overall look of DC gets downgraded, many on GAF will be very disappointed.

Hoping they hit 60fps so people can enjoy the game more. I have my 1440p youtube videos with custom motion interpolation to look for and admire when the game comes out.

I know many feel that way, but it's not what I mean, and I'm sure you realize that.
If DriveClub goes from the current 30fps to 60fps, then it in all likelihood means something else will have to be toned down. The game currently looks gorgeous imo, and I don't think every game needs to be 60fps, even if it is a racer. Then again if DC is going to be Morpheus compatible I guess 60fps is a must.

If they can reach 60fps and still deliver all the visuals they have shown thusfar, great go for it. But I'm sure that if the overall look of DC gets downgraded, many on GAF will be very disappointed.

Isn't the Game Director the one who insisted the game to be in 30fps?

Caddle

I knew forza would be brought up. To that jerk up there, I hope you played it, and not sitting at home watching videos.

mekes

I like to think they are PGRifying the game by adding hundreds of cones and a kudos system to every stage of the game.

Hoje0308

Banned
Will it support the G27 wheel/pedals/clutch? If no, no buy.

You're really bringing that up? The devs have said multiple times that it's on Logitech to provide drivers, which they haven't done. It's not a case of them not supporting your wheel, but the people that took your money not supporting the games that actually allow you to use your peripheral.

I was about to say "are you fucking serious"

then I got the joke and realized how embarrassing the title of the game really is

yea, truly the name of this game is the worse thing about it... At least that we know of, everything looked so awesome before it went underground, but FUCKING HASHTAG Driveclub?! Give me a break, what a juvenile name

Top Bottom