• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

My bet few have done better (damn servers I want to see leaderboards), I suspect getting good drifting scores will end up in the FAQ. They are hard. You have to nail the drift AND keep the speed up, and if the exit of a drift segment isn't right then the speed segment falls flat..

Yep. Almost spent an hour on it! Was stuck at 6,600 for 20 attempts or so (6,700 was the final star). And then boom, it all came together.

Oh man! Getting a drift right from start to finish is absolutely orgasmic! So satisfying!

Semper88

The lobbies will match you up with randoms, if the servers ever come back :p

Fear not. Also - add DRIVECLUB-GAF to your PSN friends list and check the people who are friends with it. Hundreds of people to race with!

Thx alot, couldn't find the match making last night. It stated that it was connected to the server so i was like oh shit....

Will add thx!

Yeah - there is no magic applied to the cars. The AI is still providing actual inputs to the driving engine of their cars - and that's why you'll see some crazy behavior on the track, including some wild crashes.

I wonder if this might explain all the pushy-pushy shoving the AIs do. As in, they see you and enter "aggro mode", and they step on it to catch up and try to pass you, but their understanding of the control of the car is too rudimentary (especially if they only have a general "drive car" routine and not something that accounts for different performance characteristics) and thus they overshoot and slam into you.

Yeah I really like the coloured flags, its like in rally games where the guy calls out pace notes. It eliminates a lot of looking at the mini map.

Yeah, very underrated part of the track design. It does make the P2P tracks feel very rally-esque, especially those India ones where you'll drive through a bit of dirt every now and then.

One thing I'd love to see Evolution add to the game is a crazy long tunnel route right through one of the mountains. Something that showcases the huge scale of the ranges they have in the game up close and personal. Much longer than the ones in the game already.

Sweet Jebus, booted this and still got the same welcome message in ma face since pre-load clock hit zero. Just not used to this, every time AAA title drops on PS4 with down servers for days. Coming from X1 I don't have to deal with this type of gabige.

c465a1d8b9d99a4d13c8b9919864a937_zps2dd14487.jpg

nofi

I have to agree on this, playing hudless is very much viable now, beautiful

First thing I did was switch the map off, yep, the road signage is more than clear enough.

Love how the dashboard view switches off the speedometer UI too automatically.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
Photomode, where are you.

ibv99LZ41phVnT.jpg

ixnkIPArf41LB.jpg

icyId4vMWpKgF.jpg

ifbAp1sAy5JZ9.jpg

I hope this doesn't come across as too negative but those shots look nothing at all like the gifs and trailers we've seen that say "capture on ps4" ...

I guess they pulled a forza 5 and sold everyone on pre-rendered 8k downsampled pc footage.

Putty

Sweet Jebus, booted this and still got the same welcome message in ma face since pre-load clock hit zero. Just not used to this, every time AAA title drops on PS4 with down servers for days. Coming from X1 I don't have to deal with this type of gabige.

c465a1d8b9d99a4d13c8b9919864a937_zps2dd14487.jpg

Thank god for that then #phew

Putty

I hope this doesn't come across as too negative but those shots look nothing at all like the gifs and trailers we've seen that say "capture on ps4" ...

I guess they pulled a forza 5 and sold everyone on pre-rendered 8k downsampled pc footage.

Too negative? No, not at all. Pull up a chair and tell us how you're liking the game now you've played it.

Putty

Yeah, very underrated part of the track design. It does make the P2P tracks feel very rally-esque, especially those India ones where you'll drive through a bit of dirt every now and then.

One thing I'd love to see Evolution add to the game is a crazy long tunnel route right through one of the mountains. Something that showcases the huge scale of the ranges they have in the game up close and personal. Much longer than the ones in the game already.

And on the other side, a huge lakeside opens up, with a harbour and seagulls and lashings of Lemon Tops!

There's been some really great suggestions in this thread actually. We should club together in one post and send to Rushy for "evaluation".

ed3dfx

Everyone else? Or just drive by trolls?

Not trolling mate, nice try though. I'm looking forward to playing it and I feel bad for Evo.

The thing that bugs me is how everyone is touting the graphics as the holy grail, those posted screenshots look ok... certianly not what I was expecting, from the trailers. Working in video production myself its pretty easy to spot the differences. I'm more puzzled by the fact you guys don't seem to care.

Not trolling mate, nice try though. I'm looking forward to playing it and I feel bad for Evo.

The thing that bugs me is how everyone is touting the graphics as the holy grail, those posted screenshots look ok... certianly not what I was expecting, from the trailers. Working in video production myself its pretty easy to spot the differences. I'm more puzzled by the fact you guys don't seem to care.

Because we're playing the game and not looking at screenshots.

jetsetrez

I seriously cannot believe servers are down on a game that is basically sold on its community stuff. I thought it was just because I needed to install the update, but nope. Wow.

Business

Everyone else? Or just drive by trolls?

I think you are overreacting. I haven't played the game myself either but the image quality we saw on that pre-release footage is a far cry from that in the screenshots he quoted. Not that it wasn't predictable it most probably was downsampled, but regardless.

...the game is absolutely gorgeous at times, played it then?

ed3dfx

I think you are overreacting. I haven't played the game myself either but the image quality we saw on that pre-release footage is a far cry from that in the screenshots he quoted. Not that it wasn't predictable it most probably was downsampled, but regardless.

Thank you. Of course I make one comment about how the screenshots look nothing like the trailer and everyone starts jumping down my throat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was waiting as many others for the PS+ edition to decide to buy or not the game but without an ETA for the demo I bought the game a few hours ago.

I am a fan of racing games, I am using the Thrustmaster T300 RS and this is my first impressions of the game:

- I believe its the best arcade racing game I have ever played.
- Graphics: Technically are not perfect but definitely are the most beautiful I have ever seen in a racing game. In some stages with all the effects and that perfect lightning I thought I was in a interactive video... Waiting for weather effects!
- Gameplay: Very fun. Very good stage designing. Challenging AI. Clean and fast UI. Waiting for the online part!
- Driving: Very accessible and fun. Even the slower cars are fun to drive. The feedback from the T300 RS is good but I would like a patch so the wheel can be more heavy and give stronger force feedback effects.
- Sound: I found it ok. No opinion for the music as I don't like music while racing. I would like to hear the super/hyper cars, I am hoping the sound will be better than the hatchbacks.

I played only the first event, even the game is very addictive, as I am waiting for the full experience with the online features.

How is the T300 generally, have you tried it with other games on PC or PS3? Have one preordered but tempted to cancel as it is expensive and I can still use my DFGT on PC. But if it feels a lot better than the DFGT at I'll keep it.

M.W.

I'm not overreacting, play the damn game first before spouting nonsense.

Nyx

It's the most beautiful racer I have ever played, not sure why anyone would say the graphics are 'ok'

p3tran

Banned

I dont work in video production, and yet it seems that just a pair of eyes is enough to reach the same conclusion as you.

Prototype

He wasn't sporting nonsense. The game doesn't look as good as it did in some promotional material.

And yes I've played the shit out of it, lvl 25 currently, just finishing up the pro tour with the 458 italia.

Edit. I'd be ghosting times in the Zonda R if the online would fucking work so I could earn club points. :/

Iacobellis

So... What's the best way to approach sharp turns? Is it like Ridge Racer where you let go of the gas and turn? Or does it involve the handbrake as well? And how do you drift?

I literally had a WTF moment the first time I saw a flyover in the loading screen. I couldn't believe that this was the game that had every DC thread gushing over the visuals like something never seen before.

I had another WTF moment when I slowed down to look at some foliage in India to see some of the weirdest aliasing and poor textures. Again, I couldn't believe this was the game people were publicly stroking over in terms of visuals.

I'd even go as far as saying that infamous looks better as a visual experience.

Mononoke

Banned
Wow. I'm really behind you guys, as I've been busy throughout the day and have been playing the game in bursts. I just barely got 40 s stars and finally got to my first sports car race. And holy crap. The game is like, a completely new game racing at these high speeds. Raced my first time in the Lotus, and it's really hard getting used to, given the first 30 + races were in those slow ass box cars. :p

So yeah, this will take a couple tries before I get the hang of the new speed. Also, I'm finding the "clean lap" objective kind of frustrating. No matter what I do, some asshole will always come up behind me and bump me and there goes my clean lap. Grrr.

23qwerty

He wasn't sporting nonsense. The game doesn't look as good as it did in some promotional material.

And yes I've played the shit out of it, lvl 25 currently, just finishing up the pro tour with the 458 italia.

In certain instances like once earlier today when I was playing, it looks almost identical to some of the promotional footage. Usually it just ends up getting close to it instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It wasn't THAT bad, you were able to connect for the most part. DC's servers just....dead..period.

You can still play DC offline so it isn't the end of the world either - just frustrating. FH2 had a few days with no downloadable cars working, and liveries pretty damn broken. And I had at least one day where it would take ages to finish races and get my credits because I assume it was trying to sync with the server.

cyen

Having played a little more since yestarday my opinion stands, if this was a launch game it would be a fine launch game, a year late there is too little SP content, can´t comment on MP because i didn´t even had connected once.

Big biggest grips are:

-little content for a game delayed almost a year (Tour wise)
-bad selection of cars (no japanese?)
-No basic features like replay (i know it will come with a patch but c´mon a replay mode is a standard in any racing game)
-I know that this is a game without costumisation, but why can´t i at least change car colour before a race?
-Low AF and inconsistence IQ
-Penalty system not always fair (i´ve been ramed by AI and i got a 3 second penalty several times)
-AI is a little agressive, sometimes they dont even overtake, just ram you.

High points:

-Good arcade handling
-When all the gods are aligned the game is trully beatifull
-Excelent fantasy track selection, love some of the p2p tracks.
-OST is very very good.

Well, since driveclub doenst live alone in is own dome (like some people commeting are puting it), comparing it to other arcade racing games out there it feels a little content empty, specialy for a game that was delayed for a year.

Since i currently only have a PS4 i wanted this to be a great racing game, because PS4 truly miss a great Arcade Racing game, unfortunably for me, DriveClub is not that game, at least in it´s current state. I think they should have delayed it once again until they had all the planed features that are coming in a patch.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I literally had a WTF moment the first time I saw a flyover in the loading screen. I couldn't believe that this was the game that had every DC thread gushing over the visuals like something never seen before.

I had another WTF moment when I slowed down to look at some foliage in India to see some of the weirdest aliasing and poor textures. Again, I couldn't believe this was the game people were publicly stroking over in terms of visuals.

you shouldnt judge a game out of context.
In a racing game your supposed to, well, race. not slow doen and closely inspect some minor Details noone gives a shit about.
When your actually driving the game Looks phenomenal.

Iacobellis

I agree that the game doesn't look as good as when we got sneak peeks of it, but it's still stunning. The only jarring part to me is the aliasing on vehicles, really. The lighting produced by the head and taillights when racing at night looks too nice.

rafaelr

love the game so far, especially the hot lap events (one more lap, because i´m sure i can take that one turn even better).

Prototype

In certain instances like once earlier today when I was playing, it looks almost identical to some of the promotional footage. Usually it just ends up getting close to it instead.
The aliasing is really bad.
Overcast weather conditions make the game look flat.

The game does have its wow moments for sure but for marcellus Wallace to say it's "nonsense" is bullshit.

viveks86

Not sure why so many people complain about clean laps. Aren't they the easiest objective? Just hang behind the AI for the first lap and then unleash the beast after that. Even if you don't make it to the top, you don't lose the clean lap star. What am I missing?

23qwerty

The aliasing is really bad.
Overcast weather conditions make the game look flat.

The game does have its wow moments for sure but for marcellus Wallace to say it's "nonsense" is bullshit.

It's only really bad in screenshots, how many times do we have to say that in motion, aliasing is next to unnoticeable.
Not sure what your point with the overcast bit is about, because of course certain conditions aren't conducive to it looks the best, just like real life.

cyen

Not sure why so many people complain about clean laps. Aren't they the easiest objective? Just hang behind the AI for the first lap and then unleash the beast after that. Even if you don't make it to the top, you don't lose the clean lap star. What am I missing?

I think i understand why, because when it try to do a clean lap i like to do it competing with my opponents, trying my best to not touch them and not getting of track, but it´s dificult to do it when the AI constantly ram into your car :\

I can do like you are saying but it feels a little cheap.

You can still play DC offline so it isn't the end of the world either - just frustrating. FH2 had a few days with no downloadable cars working, and liveries pretty damn broken. And I had at least one day where it would take ages to finish races and get my credits because I assume it was trying to sync with the server.

I hear you. SP is one thing and I got a decent chunk out of it..now it's time to play against the world, MP, leaderboards..etc.Frustrating, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom