• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

I already have. Those pics look like the game what are you talking about?
Some effects can make a screenshot look poor because you take a still shot of a situation with motion-blur etc. but they can make the game look awesome in motion. Motion in itself can hide some flaws that you otherwise wouldn't.

A lot of games simply look a lot better in motion than in screenshots. That's why people shouldn't focus on screenshots but actual video-footage.

Business

People are quick to label someone a troll here it seems. Anyway the game looks good, I have to admit that the environments are very lush and nicely detailed. Draw distance looks great and the lighting system too. I think it starts to fall short almost everywhere else though.

AAA platform exclusive games can make some people ridiculously defensive. I think everyone wants this game to be great and to look fantastic, and calling someone a troll for pointing out graphical flaws that I think are objective is just a bit sad.

leng jai

Not sure what's up with some of the defensive replies in here. I've played the full game for a few hours and it does fall disappointingly short of the prerelease footage. The IQ is a bit wonky and the track backgrounds very inconsistent.

FireSol

Agreed, engine sound is terrible. Drove an R8 and Evo is trying to crack jokes on me. Or any other sports cars..just not the same. I know guys over at Evo tried and I'm not knocking their effort. Pop in F5 or FH2 + R8 its a whole nother ball game fellaz.

sorry, but F5 is a bad example of how cars should sound, but i can understand why ppl like it

Thread got more active..ehr..oh!!

And still noone answered my question. :(
Oh well. Will get the T80. For the price, I just want a cheap wheel that works well enough; and that seems to be the case.

I'm considering T80 too but the lack of force feedback really worries me. T300RS looks solid enough but the price is ridiculous. I really want to play this game with steering wheel!

It's been stated multiple times since you brought it up, read up my friend.

motion blur and some compression do not make it such a huge difference that the photos look nothing like the actual gameplay.

Seriously can you explain to me why people are showing photos if not to impress people?

Jimrpg

After hearing that line so many times before I bought the game and saw the flat/roughness existed in the game too and that compression had nothing to do with what I was seeing in pics, I have to wonder why the hell people keep saying this shit?

When the guy plays the game and "finds out" that yes, the game looks nothing like the he videos previously shown, the textures are rough and that the aliasing is noticeable to anyone with eyes, what is the next response?

"Yeah, but it's the the best racer I've personally ever seen, sometimes".

I don't know, maybe a lot of people have never played a game with actual clean IQ and good AA, But the game simply is not what it was made out to be visually.

I think there's such a big difference in opinion because of the lighting. The first race you get is India on a clear day and its not exactly the best looker. Then its possible for people to jump around and play any of the tracks with any time of day and any weather system, so people are going to be seeing different things. Its not like Gran Turismo where all the lighting is prebaked and everything looks the same every time.

My question is, how much have people played, have they tried all the settings? Some of the tracks look stunning at the right lighting level.

23qwerty

motion blur and some compression do not make it such a huge difference that the photos look nothing like the actual gameplay.

Seriously can you explain to me why people are showing photos if not to impress people?

I don't know why people are showing screenshots that look terrible?

Have some decent screenshots where any aliasing that is anything more than minor is not very noticeable in motion. And these look nowhere near as good as they did in real time obviously, despite looking pretty good for the most part.

ibjMKSkT9HHntv.jpg

ihtRBUPMWI5r1.jpg

Shaneus

Agreed, engine sound is terrible. Drove an R8 and Evo is trying to crack jokes on me. Or any other sports cars..just not the same. I know guys over at Evo tried and I'm not knocking their effort. Pop in F5 or FH2 + R8 its a whole nother ball game fellaz.
I think game sound when driving from the cockpit view is a little muffled but fine from the other camera views.
All car sounds are recorded with microphones both inside and outside of the car. It's muffled because that's what the microphone picked up when they recorded it.

bombshell

Yeah, I just started and this looks *nowhere near* the pre-release media. That other guy may or may not be trolling, but it's the truth. I'm kind of shocked by how downgraded it looks. Very mediocre textures and aliasing, lots of cheap-looking crosshatched foliage, even the cockpits don't look good so far.

Also, is it me, or is it really weird that in-race music was turned off by default? Seemed to just suck the hype out right off the bat, especially since the sound effects are not good.

Can you point out any recent AAA game where the trailers have not looked better IQ wise than the actual released game?

The actual demo footage of this game from various game conventions did actually look notably worse IQ wise for a long time than the now released game.

GHG

The DF thread exists if people want to blabber on about IQ "concerns".

It would also help to read up on what they had to say about it.

Well the servers are finally up for me and I've been connected for about 15mins now. Still trying to get into my first online match though so pray for me.

cyen

maybe the best looking game on the consoles but Project Cars on the PC looks absolutely amazing in motion and when you're still.

Having played Project Cars on PC i agree, it´s above DriveClub graphics wise, specially because you can downsample it from the game options, spectacular IQ.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm considering T80 too but the lack of force feedback really worries me. T300RS looks solid enough but the price is ridiculous. I really want to play this game with steering wheel!

T100 is a T80 with Force Feedback and only marginally more expensive, so that seems to be what you should be going for here.

Force Feedback doesn't really interest me that much so I went with a T80 because I'm a cheapskate. :D It's a great wheel for the price too, esp the pedals (which in this price range are normally downright shit), good pressure and shape.

-edit: Actually, T100 might not be PS4 compatible from my research just now.

-edit2: No, it's not, my bad!

Cuyejo

You people know there is a reason the aliasing looks better (less jagged edges) when there's movement in this game right?
It's because they are using a temporal solution similar to the one used in Killzone Shadowfall, so screenshots taken while being static wont get as much coverage as the ones taken while racing, this comes with a subtle blur exacerbated by the ever present FXAA and obviously the motion blur. That low AF has no excuse though.
I wonder if they could have applied a variable AA that only activates when you are static so IQ whiners would shut up. Game looks great otherwise. I haven't actually played it though but I have watched several Gamersyde videos which is the next best thing I guess.

strata8

Can you point out any recent AAA game where the trailers have not looked better IQ wise than the actual released game?

The FH2 launch trailer had the same IQ as the final game.

And I don't mean this like "FH2's IQ is so good that it looks supersampled" or something dumb like that. I took a capture and it literally has the same anti-aliasing (and aliasing) as the game itself.

cyen

The FH2 launch trailer had the same IQ as the final game.

And I don't mean this like "FH2's IQ is so good that it looks supersampled" or something dumb like that. I took a capture and it literally has the same anti-aliasing (and aliasing) as the game itself.

I really wished Evolution went with 4xMSAA instead :\

The aliasing 'issue' has taken on a life of its own by people latching on to the phrase as a way to criticise the game :)

It really isn't even an issue at all. Even the DF article, as bad as those articles normally are, didn't find a particular problem there.

Oh, also, the game is REALLY hard for me, being a person who has played almost exclusively arcade racers the past eight or so years. It's going to take awhile for me to get used to the handling.

Me too. I have no idea how I'll manage with the higher difficulties, but I don't care because I'll just take my time. I went digital with this because (like GTAV) I can imagine me going back to this game for years.

And I'm glad you like it, it's nice to see how DC is winning people over when they give it a go.

I hope Rushy and co can take heart from this thread, because they're having to put up with so many disgusting comments from the wider internet. That's not to say I don't have criticisms, but I also have patience, empathy for the pressures (I work for the NHS!) and understanding just how difficult new systems and surprise gremlins can be when they work against you. Hopefully in six months DC will have a solid fanbase, reliable online and a great community, and we'll all forget the birthing pains.

Famassu

Omg dude. Turning a tv sharpness setting to max isn't going to help at all.

I like the game, but there are issues with it. The defense force doesn't need to pull out every time someone says something negative about the game. It's not perfect. It's a 6/10 game imo.

Graphical issues (aliasing, AF)
Lack of cars
Lack of diversity of cars (EU cars only, wtf?)

Lack of modes (race, time trail, drift)
Lack of full livery editor
Online/Social system isn't working
Incompetent, blind AI
Penalty system is horrible
Cars all feel too heavy
None of the bolted affect the awesome racing, which is the core of good racing games. DriveClub isn't trying to be Gran Turismo levels of car-wankery for car enthusiasts. The cars are just meant to offer a few different speed options, not be a showcase of the whole worldwide car industry and that's not a huge flaw for a racing game. 50 cars with the kind of variation (in functionality) DriveClub has is enough.

The online system is obviously suffering from near-launch stress when everyone & their mothers are trying to play online at the same time, so I wouldn't take that as some kind of huge detriment to the game. Most bigger online-focused games suffer from it. As people aren't trying to get online as much and they adjust their number of servers to better handle the load, it should get better. Have some patience and those problems should be ironed out in a week or two. If you can't be patient, then I'd suggest you never buy any big online games day 1 and take a wait & see approach to them until it's confirmed whether there are any problems or not.

I don't see any problem with the AI. It's perhaps a tiny bit too aggressive, but that's preferable to drones driving on fixed lines. They seem a bit more humane and prone to error, instead of the perfect AIs that can do no wrong.

I personally think the weight & handling of the cars is perfect, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

DriveClub is an extremely competent racer. 6/10 means it's barely above average when it's clearly above the average racing game. At its current state it's a 8/10 and with some bug fixes, additions like rain & snow, a few adjustments and them getting rid of the problems plaguing the online, it's easily a 9/10 racing game.

strata8

If Evo are using deferred rendering - which they probably are - MSAA is really difficult to implement and very expensive. Crytek got it working in Crysis 3 but even then it was inconsistent.

Playground can use MSAA because the Forza engine uses Forward+ rendering.

cyen

None of the bolted affect the awesome racing, which is the core of good racing games. DriveClub isn't trying to be Gran Turismo levels of car-wankery for car enthusiasts. The cars are just meant to offer a few different speed options, not be a showcase of the whole worldwide car industry and that's not a huge flaw for a racing game. 50 cars with the kind of variation (in functionality) DriveClub has is enough.

The online system is obviously suffering from near-launch stress when everyone & their mothers are trying to play online at the same time, so I wouldn't take that as some kind of huge detriment to the game. Most bigger online-focused games suffer from it. As people aren't trying to get online as much and they adjust their number of servers to better handle the load, it should get better. Have some patience and those problems should be ironed out in a week or two. If you can't be patient, then I'd suggest you never buy any big online games day 1 and take a wait & see approach to them until it's confirmed whether there are any problems or not.

I don't see any problem with the AI. It's perhaps a tiny bit too aggressive, but that's preferable to drones driving on fixed lines. They seem a bit more humane and prone to error, instead of the perfect AIs that can do no wrong.

I personally think the weight & handling of the cars is perfect, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

DriveClub is an extremely competent racer. 6/10 means it's barely above average when it's clearly above the average racing game. At its current state it's a 8/10 and with some bug fixes, additions like rain & snow, a few adjustments and them getting rid of the problems plaguing the online, it's easily a 9/10 racing game.

Sorry but since it´s a rancing game it really needs cars, at least a good and diverse selection, i dont need 1000 cars, but 50 cars mostly european wont cut it.

So the game could have 5 cars but since the core game is awsome then it´s fine? i´m sorry but i dont agree.

Atcha

The visual effects are outstanding.

so natural !
First, you think that the game is not as beautiful as the pics.
Second, you understand that the track is played in a cloudy environnement.
Third, you step in another track which is much more shiny
four : you are blown away \o/

This game is awesome !

TEH-CJ

Banned

Glad im not the only one. The cars sound pretty bad. I thought evo claimed the cars sound exactly like thier real life counter parts?

23qwerty

Rushy posted some link to FB 34minutes ago, anyone can post it here (fb work block, etc.) thank you :)

It's the facebook post from 7 hours ago, but here you go

"We're just as frustrated as you about the server performance issues right now. We want you to be racing with clubs and having fun playing challenges, not checking facebook updates from us to see if the servers are updated yet.

We'll have more info for you later today (Thursday) so please bear with us while we work through this.

In case you don't already know, the servers are up and running but they are hitting their performance limits, so they won't accept new connections until one of the current online players frees up their space (allowing another to join in their place, which happens automatically and player selection is random).

If and when you get online, you should not have any connectivity issues during the remainder of your session. When you finish and disconnect, you'll free up a space for someone else. This is obviously not ideal, especially given that there are a lot of players waiting to connect, but that's how it's working right now.

The whole team here at Evolution Studios have got their shoulders to the wheel working hard to improve this situation: developing updates and upgrades to the servers - and testing these updates around the clock so that we can get them live. We hope you can enjoy the game offline while we work to improve the server performance and get you connected - and we're sorry that you're having to wait to play the game online as we intended for it to be played."

This may sound strange, but my favorite part of the game is the road feeling, like knowing when your on brick or dirt or pavement. It feels so good.

Yeah, that's the part which reminds me of Sega Rally (Saturn) nothing else since has come close to that feeling of different surfaces under the wheels.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MSAA won't solve issues with sub-pixel aliasing nor things like foliage.

Sorry but since it´s a rancing game it really needs cars, at least a good and diverse selection, i dont need 1000 cars, but 50 cars mostly european wont cut it.

So the game could have 5 cars but since the core game is awsome then it´s fine? i´m sorry but i dont agree.
It's simply a matter of what people want in a racing game.

red731

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I was preparing to get home and play online, but nothing - still a perfect evening with the tour.
Hopefully, when I get home from work today, everything will be sorted...otherwise tour and star colection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom