• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

It's only really bad in screenshots, how many times do we have to say that in motion, aliasing is next to unnoticeable.
Not sure what your point with the overcast bit is about, because of course certain conditions aren't conducive to it looks the best, just like real life.
You can say it as many times as you want, dude I've spent like 15+ hours with game in 2 days.

So Don't tell me what I see and don't see.

madmackem

Sweet Jebus, booted this and still got the same welcome message in ma face since pre-load clock hit zero. Just not used to this, every time AAA title drops on PS4 with down servers for days. Coming from X1 I don't have to deal with this type of gabige.

c465a1d8b9d99a4d13c8b9919864a937_zps2dd14487.jpg

Ive not had servers down for any triple a title so far.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Not sure why so many people complain about clean laps. Aren't they the easiest objective? Just hang behind the AI for the first lap and then unleash the beast after that. Even if you don't make it to the top, you don't lose the clean lap star. What am I missing?

or just get in first place and dont make mistakes.
thats how i did them

Jimrpg

Having played a little more since yestarday my opinion stands, if this was a launch game it would be a fine launch game, a year late there is too little SP content, can´t comment on MP because i didn´t even had connected once.

Big biggest grips are:

-little content for a game delayed almost a year (Tour wise)
-bad selection of cars (no japanese?)
-No basic features like replay (i know it will come with a patch but c´mon a replay mode is a standard in any racing game)
-I know that this is a game without costumisation, but why can´t i at least change car colour before a race?
-Low AF and inconsistence IQ
-Penalty system not always fair (i´ve been ramed by AI and i got a 3 second penalty several times)
-AI is a little agressive, sometimes they dont even overtake, just ram you.

High points:

-Good arcade handling
-When all the gods are aligned the game is trully beatifull
-Excelent fantasy track selection, love some of the p2p tracks.
-OST is very very good.

Well, since driveclub doenst live alone in is own dome (like some people commeting are puting it), comparing it to other arcade racing games out there it feels a little content empty, specialy for a game that was delayed for a year.

Since i currently only have a PS4 i wanted this to be a great racing game, because PS4 truly miss a great Arcade Racing game, unfortunably for me, DriveClub is not that game, at least in it´s current state. I think they should have delayed it once again until they had all the planed features that are coming in a patch.

Yeah this one - they have 176 planned events in the season pass, so that's probably where it all went. Sounds like they are giving the barebones single player so that a) you spend some more money and b) go online and play multiplayer.

At least there are 11 free tracks?

I wished the season pass in Australia was a little cheaper. $20 would be good value, at $37.95 its like the price of a full game/expansion.

jetsetrez

Yeah, I just started and this looks *nowhere near* the pre-release media. That other guy may or may not be trolling, but it's the truth. I'm kind of shocked by how downgraded it looks. Very mediocre textures and aliasing, lots of cheap-looking crosshatched foliage, even the cockpits don't look good so far.

Also, is it me, or is it really weird that in-race music was turned off by default? Seemed to just suck the hype out right off the bat, especially since the sound effects are not good.

Famassu

comparing it to other arcade racing games out there it feels a little content empty, specialy for a game that was delayed for a year.
The game has 55 courses and a pretty robust online system. That isn't "little content empty" in any universe, let alone in comparison to a lot of other arcade racers or even Evolution's past games (Motorstorm had 9, Pacific Rift 16 and Apocalypse had 30+ tracks).

Loudninja

The game has 55 courses and a pretty robust online system. That isn't "little content empty" in any universe, let alone in comparison to a lot of other arcade racers or even Evolution's past games (Motorstorm had 9, Pacific Rift 16 and Apocalypse had 30 tracks).
To be fair its 25 unique tracks still plenty though including the variations.

cyen

The game has 55 courses and a pretty robust online system. That isn't "little content empty" in any universe, let alone in comparison to a lot of other arcade racers or even Evolution's past games (Motorstorm had 9, Pacific Rift 16 and Apocalypse had 30 tracks).

Im not talking about track quantity, it´s great, but im talking about tour events quantity, ill soon be over it, i´m not a MP guy, so i´m left with nothing if i dont buy the season pass (which i wont in the game current state).

Not sure why so many people complain about clean laps. Aren't they the easiest objective? Just hang behind the AI for the first lap and then unleash the beast after that. Even if you don't make it to the top, you don't lose the clean lap star. What am I missing?
Heh, I do the opposite. Figure its easy to get a clean lap when you're way out in front ;p

GHG

Yeah, I just started and this looks *nowhere near* the pre-release media. That other guy may or may not be trolling, but it's the truth. I'm kind of shocked by how downgraded it looks. Very mediocre textures and aliasing, lots of cheap-looking crosshatched foliage, even the cockpits don't look good so far.

Also, is it me, or is it really weird that in-race music was turned off by default? Seemed to just suck the hype out right off the bat, especially since the sound effects are not good.

Play more than the 1st 2 races and turn the music on at 50/60% and SFX max.

Yep. Almost spent an hour on it! Was stuck at 6,600 for 20 attempts or so (6,700 was the final star). And then boom, it all came together.

Oh man! Getting a drift right from start to finish is absolutely orgasmic! So satisfying!

ok man i sat down on the same challenge and finally got 7328, after about 30 tries. Its all about that drift angle isnt it ? along with changing down during the drift to keep the tires spinning...

Loudninja

Yeah this one - they have 176 planned events in the season pass, so that's probably where it all went. Sounds like they are giving the barebones single player so that a) you spend some more money and b) go online and play multiplayer.

At least there are 11 free tracks?

I wished the season pass in Australia was a little cheaper. $20 would be good value, at $37.95 its like the price of a full game/expansion.
The events are over several months.

Its not like its all ready right now.

Palpable

I thought there was supposed to be a driveclub demo on the PS store. I don't see it.

I want to play it before I commit to buying it. The lack of American and Japanese cars has me on the fence.

viveks86

or just get in first place and dont make mistakes.
thats how i did them

Heh, I do the opposite. Figure its easy to get a clean lap when you're way out in front ;p

Show offs :p

ok man i sat down on the same challenge and finally got 7328, after about 30 tries. Its all about that drift angle isnt it ? along with changing down during the drift to keep the tires spinning...

Nice! Pretty much. Plus you need to figure out the speed and exact spot at which to enter the drift. It's real fun. Very accessible, but still quite challenging for those high scores.

benzy

I hope this doesn't come across as too negative but those shots look nothing at all like the gifs and trailers we've seen that say "capture on ps4" ...

I guess they pulled a forza 5 and sold everyone on pre-rendered 8k downsampled pc footage.

The game looks a lot better when you're actually playing it. The aliasing in the environments aren't noticeable on my 55" even when I got up close to it, but the jaggies can be pretty noticeable on the car bodies especially at night. The game could definitely use some AF as well but in general the game looks pretty amazing in motion. The global lighting, shaders, and materials give a very convincing sense of realism that's not found in other racers so I don't think it's hard to believe when some people consider it some of the best graphics they've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1rDq6kKqM

Neil_J_UK

Just managed to connect to the server. I really need to switch to my other account to accept the invite for my club until my friends get the game tomorrow so I can start gaining XP for it, but I just know I won't be able to get back on...

Foshy

The screenshots from playing the game look absolutely nothing like actually playing the game? How does that work?
compression + motion blur i guess. the game looks much better in motion for sure, i'd really say it's the best looking ps4 game yet.

But yeah, it's not quite like the previews. No point in arguing that.

jetsetrez

I will say the handling feels pretty good. Feels a bit like Project Gotham, which is exactly what I wanted. Visuals do look good at times, but very mixed imo. I thought this was going to be the most visually impressive game I'd seen on console so far, and it's definitely not that.

fernoca

Thread got more active..ehr..oh!!

And still noone answered my question. :(
Oh well. Will get the T80. For the price, I just want a cheap wheel that works well enough; and that seems to be the case.

Krisprolls

Banned
It's by far the best looking racer ever on any platform, so it doesn't look that good... compared to which game?

The lighting is in a league of its own. The aliasing you see is barely noticeable in motion.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)

People are quick to label someone a troll here it seems. Anyway the game looks good, I have to admit that the environments are very lush and nicely detailed. Draw distance looks great and the lighting system too. I think it starts to fall short almost everywhere else though.

The screenshots from playing the game look absolutely nothing like actually playing the game? How does that work?

Because in motion with all the motion blur + stuff flying past you at 200 mph + the beautiful real time lighting and dynamic skies + the tons of little track details it looks great.

i hope Polyphony Digital takes come cues from this game, namely using corner flags instead of a driving line.

The flag system won't happen since PD are pretty obsessive with making tracks and the different aspects of that track look exactly like they do in the real world. So they aren't going to put cornering flags all around something like the Nurburgring.

Agreed, engine sound is terrible. Drove an R8 and Evo is trying to crack jokes on me. Or any other sports cars..just not the same. I know guys over at Evo tried and I'm not knocking their effort. Pop in F5 or FH2 + R8 its a whole nother ball game fellaz.

Play the game and find out. It's been said so many times I'm surprised you need me to tell you this.

After hearing that line so many times before I bought the game and saw the flat/roughness existed in the game too and that compression had nothing to do with what I was seeing in pics, I have to wonder why the hell people keep saying this shit?

When the guy plays the game and "finds out" that yes, the game looks nothing like the he videos previously shown, the textures are rough and that the aliasing is noticeable to anyone with eyes, what is the next response?

"Yeah, but it's the the best racer I've personally ever seen, sometimes".

I don't know, maybe a lot of people have never played a game with actual clean IQ and good AA, But the game simply is not what it was made out to be visually.

cyen

Agreed, engine sound is terrible. Drove an R8 and Evo is trying to crack jokes on me. Or any other sports cars..just not the same. I know guys over at Evo tried and I'm not knocking their effort. Pop in F5 or FH2 + R8 its a whole nother ball game fellaz.

I think game sound when driving from the cockpit view is a little muffled but fine from the other camera views.

23qwerty

After hearing that line so many times before I bought the game and saw the flat/roughness existed in the game too and that compression had nothing to do with what I was seeing in pics, I have to wonder why the hell people keep saying this shit?

When the guy plays the game and "finds out" that yes, the game looks nothing like the he videos previously shown, the textures are rough and that the aliasing is noticeable to anyone with eyes, what is the next response?

"Yeah, but it's the the best racer I've personally ever seen, sometimes".

I don't know, maybe a lot of people have never played a game with actual clean IQ and good AA, But the game simply is not what it was made out to be visually.

Some people value AA less than other things, it happens :)
(Especially when the other things are incredible)

Prototype

Fascinating then that so many people agree with me? You sure your TV's sharpness isn't at max?
Omg dude. Turning a tv sharpness setting to max isn't going to help at all.

I like the game, but there are issues with it. The defense force doesn't need to pull out every time someone says something negative about the game. It's not perfect. It's a 6/10 game imo.

Graphical issues (aliasing, AF)
Lack of cars
Lack of diversity of cars (EU cars only, wtf?)
Lack of modes (race, time trail, drift)
Lack of full livery editor
Online/Social system isn't working
Incompetent, blind AI
Penalty system is horrible
Cars all feel too heavy

Excellent sense of speed
Car models are good
Cockpit view is well done
Mini challenges within races mix things up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.