• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullah88

Its good to know that its working on some level - I'll have to dig some more to see whats up on my end. Haven't finished the tour yet though.

certain accolades you can and cant use, for example accolades for cars, i dont think you can use because ive got the mini cooper and venom gt but cant use them

mp accolades are not working yet

Jimrpg

It's basic consumer rights at issue. I let the online issues slide for the first few days, but the fact I still experience them has fucked me right off.

By any legal or moral stance, paying consumers should not be the QA team for new products. They should be fit for purpose and works as advertised before they are sold. The world moved past Caveat Emptor long ago, and consumers have well defined rights and expectations.

Complaining about a newly released videogame that has a core feature fundamentally broken is the exact same thing as complaining if you buy a new car that has engine troubles, or a new TV and the speakers don't work.

That's the other thing, do people want them to delay the game a couple of months to get it fixed?

Sony obviously isn't going to delay it, because they probably settled all their marketing and retailing commitments.

i-Lo

Did you try turning down the SHARP feature on your TV? I dialed mine down from 10 to 7 and most of the aliasing went away and is barely noticeable. Cars look fantastic now.

I calibrate any tv I utilize. One of the primary things included in that is turning the sharpness settings to zero. Furthermore, I have noticed that the amount of aliasing is different for different camera angles, meaning the scenery at speed barely produces noticeable aliasing unlike the more static interior views where the issue can be seen most. I switched to dash-cam view for the best compromise.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
AI ramming you I can agree with somewhat but seriously if you are seeing the timer so much that you think it is an issue then you need to get better at the game. In any case I am sure they will be tweaking things once they get everyone stabilized.

Agree with this. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been reset back onto the.track and half of those were probably voluntary as I spun out so just waited the extra second.

If you're getting the slow down penalty for going off the track then chances are you cut the corner or slammed into the outside wall too fast like you were trying to railride the corner.

Yep I'll probably never get the proper experience any more since the servers never worked and I already completed the tour mode. Would of been way more entertaining doing the tour and competing in a first playthrough.

Although I'm not overly uptight about the servers you make a good point here.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| Lighting done right Online done wrong

CLEEK

That's the other thing, do people want them to delay the game a couple of months to get it fixed?

Sony obviously isn't going to delay it, because they probably settled all their marketing and retailing commitments.

First question - Yes. Release the product when it works.

Second question - If Sony knew prior to launch that the product was not working as advertised, then they would be violating very clear consumer laws to sell it in that state.

I don't think that Sony knowingly released a broken game, but all signs point to Evolution fucking up spectacularly with their testing, back-end infrastructure and capacity planning.

nikos

I think I'm being too nice to people online. Should just race dirty, like everyone else does, to gain and keep positions.

First question - Yes. Release the product when it works.

Second question - If Sony knew prior to launch that the product was not working as advertised, then they would be violating very clear consumer laws to sell it in that state.

Erm, but if that's true then isn't that still the case? It's still on sale on the store with no indication of it not working properly. I'm not sure it really matters what they knew pre-launch anymore, one week later and it's business as usual unless you check their facebook account etc.

CLEEK

What signs?

Evo's statement that they did capacity planning prior to launch, so weren't expecting these issues. If they did any planning, they did an incredibly bad job at it.

Erm, but if that's true then isn't that still the case? It's still on sale on the store with no indication of it not working properly. I'm not sure it really matters what they knew anymore, it's business as usual unless you check their facebook account etc.

If companies sell defective products, or the advertising for products is deceitful, its months/years later that any action is taken against them is settled. There's nothing Sony can do now except admit there are issues and work towards fixing them. Both of which they're doing. They will have to deal with any legal repercussions later.

Shaneus

The lack of online features for the past week?
The servers being under extreme load doesn't point to a lack of testing. How many people should they test with? 500,000?

Having been involved in a number of several non-gaming related software rollouts at my work, it's practically impossible to test for every single scenario. From what I read in posts on here that were paraphrasing Rushy, it was the challenges mode primarily that broke the servers, not the capacity itself. Perhaps they tested how many users could connect, but not thought to get them to set challenges across the entire game first. Not something they necessarily could have seen as being an issue.

I'd hardly call it incompetent.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| How fast do you wanna get disconnected?

The servers being under extreme load doesn't point to a lack of testing. How many people should they test with? 500,000?

extreme load? how many people do you think bought Driveclub? Definitely not GTAV or COD numbers.

Does the online still work? Between Shadow of Mordor and The Evil Within.,I forgot about this game but I would love to get back so I could finish the tour + level up the club.

CLEEK

That's not how capacity planning and testing works. You can simulate as much load as you want by using a variety of tools. You don't need to wait until 500,000 end consumers try to connect to the same server to find out it can't handle it.

The fact the issue with Driveclub is fixed with their one-in, one-out policy, the problem is with concurrent connections. This is absolutely something that should be simulated and tested before launch. Evo fucked up.

Shaneus

extreme load? how many people do you think bought Driveclub? Definitely not GTAV or COD numbers.
When I last checked a few days ago, there were around 50,000 clubs. Each of those needs at least two people in them to be active. So that's at least 100k.

Oh, and GTAV didn't have online 100% working day one either.

Oh, and GTAV didn't have online 100% working day one either.

PiJhaA2.jpg

yeah, everyone knows that.

Yep I'll probably never get the proper experience any more since the servers never worked and I already completed the tour mode. Would of been way more entertaining doing the tour and competing in a first playthrough.

thats exactly right.
I look on playstation live and there is a French (or French canadian) playing online races. Thats something denied to my copy. So if they feel short changed, then I am even more in a hole, and i am 100% sure we will not get extra compensation for being part of the percentage that were selected for NO connectivity .. ever.
Even if things are all perfect for tomorrow the first experience of the full game is missed.

My lord.

That Hennessey Venom hot lap. "The real Driveclub starts here".

I don't think it's at all a stretch to say that everything preceding this hot lap is more or less EASY (barring a couple of the later Drifting events), but holy balls, this actually tested me. I scraped in by a whole 0.023 seconds in the end. BRUTAL.

Just hit a glitch where the guy in the front of the starting line got out a full 20 seconds before everyone else in the race could even move.

Recorded the race so will post soon. Come on EVO...

Having been involved in a number of several non-gaming related software rollouts at my work, it's practically impossible to test for every single scenario. From what I read in posts on here that were paraphrasing Rushy, it was the challenges mode primarily that broke the servers, not the capacity itself. Perhaps they tested how many users could connect, but not thought to get them to set challenges across the entire game first. Not something they necessarily could have seen as being an issue.

I'd hardly call it incompetent.

that wasn't to servers load, Evo said there is undetected bug in the netcode. PSN servers held destiny easily, DC wouldn't stress it at all.

kyser73

Evo's statement that they did capacity planning prior to launch, so weren't expecting these issues. If they did any planning, they did an incredibly bad job at it.

If companies sell defective products, or the advertising for products is deceitful, its months/years later that any action is taken against them is settled. There's nothing Sony can do now except admit there are issues and work towards fixing them. Both of which they're doing. They will have to deal with any legal repercussions later.

Clearly something went wrong with the software, something that couldn't be tested for or wouldn't happen in either a smaller level beta test or in capacity simulations.

So please can you enlighten us on how exactly their testing was wrong.

CLEEK

So please can you enlighten us on how exactly their testing was wrong.

Because online doesn't work! They say they did capacity testing, but then online has been fucked since the moment the game launched due to too many connections for their servers.

certain accolades you can and cant use, for example accolades for cars, i dont think you can use because ive got the mini cooper and venom gt but cant use them

mp accolades are not working yet
Aaaand shortly after this post I unlocked my first usable accolade sticker for completed Single Events. Huzzah.

Slapped that puppy on all of my custom design slots to celebrate but was surprised to see that I couldn't add it to the club design when on one of my cars. I understand that only the club leader can set the design and colors, but for some reason it just seemed weird that I couldn't put the accolades on my own car, ya know?

Are there club specific accolades that you can put on the club design?

viveks86

Clearly something went wrong with the software, something that couldn't be tested for or wouldn't happen in either a smaller level beta test or in capacity simulations.

They didn't expect DRIVECLUB-GAF

:|

Are there club specific accolades that you can put on the club design?

Yes. There are individual accolades and club accolades. Accolades also act as fame multipliers, so they have separated them out.

Because online doesn't work! They say they did capacity testing, but then online has been fucked since the moment the game launched due to too many connections for their servers.

We don't know that exactly for sure, one thing is clear, this game needed an open beta due the importance of the online component itself. There are beta tests used as preorder offers for a stupid amount of games that does'nt need them as much as this one.

Too bad Sony used the PS+ version as the main incentive to get this game instead of a beta access.

Also, this is the second major release by Sony this year that features an important online component, the other being The Last of Us: Remastered, guess what? That game did'nt worked at launch either, and yet to this day it works like crap.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So the Evo vs. DICE comparisons with their respective games doesn't work.

One is a studio that has only worked on large scale multiplayer games their entire careers and their latest/biggest game gets admittedly rushed out to meet publisher demands.

The other is a relatively small racing game studio who became first party at the start of the PS3 era, when online gaming hadn't yet become what it is today, and whose games have never been persistently online with lots of player traffic.

The PS4 by comparison to the PS3 at launch is extremely popular and there is a thirst for racing games right now, so no wonder they were gonna be met with pretty big shoes to fill.

I personally wouldn't resort to calling them incompetent when it's 45 people working on this game and they risked a lot delaying it a full year to make it better.

Shit happens. It's a tough break for the guys.

nasanu

Banned
The fact the issue with Driveclub is fixed with their one-in, one-out policy, the problem is with concurrent connections. This is absolutely something that should be simulated and tested before launch. Evo fucked up.

Evo fucked up for sure, but you did also. Concurrent connections has nothing to do with it, its the load each connection is generating. I can often connect, but I can never do anything at all when I connect. If it was solved by the one in one out policy as you said then when I am connected all should be fine. From what has been said it seems like they are generating much more data than they thought for each connection. Why this was not spotted in the beta is a mystery.

Shaneus

We don't know that exactly for sure, one thing is clear, this game needed an open beta due the importance of the online component itself. There are beta tests used as preorder offers for a stupid amount of games that does'nt need them as much as this one.

Too bad Sony used the PS+ version as the main incentive to get this game instead of a beta access.
Spot on. I don't think that with the extent of online integration into the game there would've been a way to adequately stress the servers (and their software) short of an open beta. I agree that would've been a better incentive than as a PS+ freebie, too.

Hell, even a PS+-sized open beta with limited cars and tracks would've been enough to test everything out thoroughly, I would've thought. But I don't agree there's any way they could've tested anything internally that would give them an accurate real-world portrayal of X number of people hitting everything at launch, regardless if they botched internal testing or not.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
So the Evo vs. DICE comparisons with their respective games doesn't work.

One is a studio that has only worked on large scale multiplayer games their entire careers and their latest/biggest game gets admittedly rushed out to meet publisher demands.

The other is a relatively small racing game studio who became first party at the start of the PS3 era, when online gaming hadn't yet become what it is today, and whose games have never been persistently online with lots of player traffic.

The PS4 by comparison to the PS3 at launch is extremely popular and there is a thirst for racing games right now, so no wonder they were gonna be met with pretty big shoes to fill.

I personally wouldn't resort to calling them incompetent when it's 45 people working on this game and they risked a lot delaying it a full year to make it better.

Shit happens. It's a tough break for the guys.

So it's Sonys fault for not giving them enough support then?

First party. Biggest first party title of the year for Sony. Been delayed a year and shown off at every event. Hype was real. It's a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom