• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

Looks like online is working for me right now. Sent an invite to GAFCLUB, I'm not sure which one of you is part of that one but if there's a place left please accept me! :p

Sorry man. We are running at full capacity :(

Glad that you have finally been able to connect. It never worked for you right?

Late Flag

Maybe if you live in some la-la magical fairy land, everything always goes perfectly, but in the real world sometimes stuff fails and it's pretty childish to get so worked up about it. DriveClub is a pretty full package, they just ran into unanticipated problems. They didn't intentionally release a game with an online portion that wouldn't work.

I don't have money to burn (DriveClub is the second retail game I buy Day 1 for PS4 and only the third retail game overall), but I don't think having to wait for a week or two for the online portion of a game (that I can still play perfectly fine offline) to start working after a troublesome launch is cause for some ridiculous anger and FUCK EVOLUTION DEY WORST DEV EVERRR HURR DURRR reactions they've been getting. It's not like the game is fundamentally broken and can't ever be repaired.

There's a great game underneath the problems and you can probably experience it in full in the near future, so it's not like you've thrown the money away for nothing and I don't see any reason to act like they've scammed people out of money.

And I'm not saying people shouldn't feel disappointed, but some of the reactions are just so ridiculously over the top. I'm not happy myself, but I understand that these things DO happen and have the patience to wait for a while. I can play the single player and some other game(s) while I wait for DriveClub's online to work. Why should I HATE Evolution for stuff that has happened to a lot of other good games in the past? DriveClub has the potential to offer me months of enjoyment for me once they do get the online up & running reliably, so I can wait for a little while until they get their act together.

You're right that this is a good game that will be even better when the online portion gets up and running, but honestly stuff like this simply shouldn't happen. This is the single worst launch of a game that I've ever experienced, period. Granted I wasn't there for SimCity so I'll defer to those who were, but this is so much worse than Battlefield 4, and DICE still gets ripped to shreds over that one.

This is a game that was built around online, social features. None of which are available with anything resembling consistency a week after launch. I haven't been able to play a single online race during this time. It's not hyperbole to say that this situation is completely unacceptable, and the fact that I'm enjoying the tour and want the game to succeed is not a legitimate reason for holding back on the criticism that Evolution richly deserves for the trainwreck that they created.

There is a fantastic game here waiting to get out. That said, Evolution has failed in spectacular fashion to deliver in terms of basic functionality.

1 year delay and no online is just unacceptable. Well, time to move on I guess.

Still saving $ for the T300, hopefully by time I have enough saved up the game won't be so broken. lol

i-Lo

So far and I just started.

Visuals:

Pros:
  • Stunning most of the time and sometimes uncannily photorealistic courtesy of lighting engine.
  • Astounding sense of speed.
  • Great track design (still haven't gone through all tracks).
Cons:

• Aliasing is sometimes very noticeable due to highlighted artifact it produces when edges reflect light. It is distracting.
  • Object pop-in sometimes noticeable.

Sound:

Pros:

• Beautifully produced engine sounds for all camera angles.
  • The menu music is stupendous.
Cons:

• The tracklist while playing game felt awfully short as I listened to same tracks over and over within a relatively short interval
My favourite part:

• Handling. It is so different from what I was expecting and is truly different from what I was expecting given Evo's history and other arcade competitors.

My least liked part:

• Penalty system seems awfully heavy handed.

Finally, I can understand why people have been raging about not being able to play online. A large chunk of what makes the game is missing and it's absolutely disheartening to see frequent 'you're connected' and 'not connected' to social hub. I have yet to get a chance to actually add my club.

Visuals:

Pros:
  • Stunning most of the time and sometimes uncannily photorealistic courtesy of lighting engine.
Cons:

• Aliasing is sometimes very noticeable due to highlighted artifact it produces when edges reflect light. It is distracting.

Sound:

Pros:

• Beautifully produced engine sounds for all camera angles.
  • The menu music is stupendous.
Cons:

• The tracklist while playing game felt awfully short as I listened to same tracks over and over within a relatively short interval
My favourite part:

• Handling. It is so different from what I was expecting and is truly different from what I was expecting given Evo's history and other arcade competitors.

My least liked part:

• Penalty system seems awfully heavy handed.

Finally, I can understand why people have been raging about not being able to play online. A large chunk of what makes the game is missing and it's absolutely disheartening to see frequent 'you're connected' and 'not connected' to social hub. I have yet to get a chance to actually add my club.

I agree with you

I feel compelled to retract a previous post about the A.I. being dicks. I was wrong and didn't give it a fair shake. I'm really enjoying it now and I can't wait for the first online match.

Is anybody rocking accolades on their cars? I still don't get how they work. I have a few level 5 accolades - they've stopped leveling up, but I still can't seem to put any of them on my cars when customizing the design.

I'm missing something.

Shaneus

Should also accumulate over your career.
Oh I know, but I mean that 1,000,000 at the top of the screen, that's not just points from a drift comp per se, but a time trial that lets you do infinite laps, with a focus on drifting.

Great way to build up one's drift "affinity", too.

jet1911

My least liked part:

Penalty system seems awfully heavy handed.

Really annoying. It takes me out of the game. I don't like having points deduced because the AI rammed me off the road. The reset track timer is also pretty annoying, if I"m "off the track" (read 3 feet to the left or right of the road) I'm already penalised by going slower and having a harder time to control my car, you don't have to remove points and shove the 3 seconds timer in my face. Another thing is when you crash sometime your car becomes a "ghost" and it happens to all the cars that pass through you. It looks weird and out of place.

Visuals:

Pros:
Cons:

Did you try turning down the SHARP feature on your TV? I dialed mine down from 10 to 7 and most of the aliasing went away and is barely noticeable. Cars look fantastic now.

Mullah88

Is anybody rocking accolades on their cars? I still don't get how they work. I have a few level 5 accolades - they've stopped leveling up, but I still can't seem to put any of them on my cars when customizing the design.

I'm missing something.

i have the tour accolade on mine

kyser73

Really annoying. It takes me out of the game. I don't like having points deduced because the AI rammed me off the road. The reset track timer is also pretty annoying, if I"m "off the track" (read 3 feet to the left or right of the road) I'm already penalised by going slower and having a harder time to control my car, you don't have to remove points and shove the 3 seconds timer in my face. Another thing is when you crash sometime your car becomes a "ghost" and it happens to all the cars that pass through you. It looks weird and out of place.

That's been a feature of racing games for a while tho - it means you can be deposited directly back on track without having to wait or being immediately knocked off track by cars hitting you.

they have a lot of issues to muddle through. 1 week delays points towards cluster fuck on their end.

Says the networking expert who is fully qualified to comment on how a delay period indicates how messed up something is.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I purchased the game when the PS+ $50 deal went up. I purchased (pre-ordered) it maybe a few days before it was released. When I go to game panel now in PS4 OS, it stilll offers me to purchase the game for $50, and doesn't let me rate the game for example. PSN seems to think that I haven't purchased the game somehow, but the game is fully unlocked when I play it. Pretty strange, and never happened with any other game. I just hope it lets me re-download it if I happen to delete it, or I need to play on a different PS4 or something.

AI ramming you I can agree with somewhat but seriously if you are seeing the timer so much that you think it is an issue then you need to get better at the game. In any case I am sure they will be tweaking things once they get everyone stabilized.

I purchased the game when the PS+ $50 deal went up. I purchased it maybe a few days before it was released. When I go to game panel now in PS4 OS, it stilll offers me to purchase the game for $50, and doesn't let me rate the game for example. PSN seems to think that I haven't purchased the game somehow, but the game is fully unlocked when I play it. Pretty strange, and never happened with any other game. I just hope it lets me re-download it if I happen to delete it, or I need to play on a different PS4 or something.
I'm in the same boat. Haven't had any unusual issues playing the game though - I mean, no more than most by the look of things.

Says the networking expert who is fully qualified to comment on how a delay period indicates how messed up something is.
You don't need to be a networking expert to diagnose this launch as a clusterfuck, and a continuing one. We still have no ETA on full availability, challenges and the PS+ version going up.

Nothing short of a clusterfuck of epic proportions would take a week and counting.

Jimrpg

Maybe if you live in some la-la magical fairy land, everything always goes perfectly, but in the real world sometimes stuff fails and it's pretty childish to get so worked up about it. DriveClub is a pretty full package, they just ran into unanticipated problems. They didn't intentionally release a game with an online portion that wouldn't work.

I don't have money to burn (DriveClub is the second retail game I buy Day 1 for PS4 and only the third retail game overall), but I don't think having to wait for a week or two for the online portion of a game (that I can still play perfectly fine offline) to start working after a troublesome launch is cause for some ridiculous anger and FUCK EVOLUTION DEY WORST DEV EVERRR HURR DURRR reactions they've been getting. It's not like the game is fundamentally broken and can't ever be repaired.

There's a great game underneath the problems and you can probably experience it in full in the near future, so it's not like you've thrown the money away for nothing and I don't see any reason to act like they've scammed people out of money.

And I'm not saying people shouldn't feel disappointed, but some of the reactions are just so ridiculously over the top. I'm not happy myself, but I understand that these things DO happen and have the patience to wait for a while. I can play the single player and some other game(s) while I wait for DriveClub's online to work. Why should I HATE Evolution for stuff that has happened to a lot of other good games in the past? DriveClub has the potential to offer me months of enjoyment for me once they do get the online up & running reliably, so I can wait for a little while until they get their act together.

Yep I really don't like the over reaction too. They've already said they are working round the clock to get it fixed. What else do ppl want them to do, get on their knees and beg forgiveness? Internet culture and keyboard warrior syndrome at it's worst.

CLEEK

Yep I really don't like the over reaction too. They've already said they are working round the clock to get it fixed. What else do ppl want them to do, get on their knees and beg forgiveness? Internet culture and keyboard warrior syndrome at it's worst.

It's basic consumer rights at issue. I let the online issues slide for the first few days, but the fact I still experience them has fucked me right off.

By any legal or moral stance, paying consumers should not be the QA team for new products. They should be fit for purpose and works as advertised before they are sold. The world moved past Caveat Emptor long ago, and consumers have well defined rights and expectations.

Complaining about a newly released videogame that has a core feature fundamentally broken is the exact same thing as complaining if you buy a new car that has engine troubles, or a new TV and the speakers don't work.

CrovaxPSO

I haven't cared all that much about the server issues, but losing access to stuff that's been unlocked from the club really stinks. I wish they were just permanently unlocked.

Korezo

It's basic consumer rights at issue. I let the online issues slide for the first few days, but the fact I still experience them has fucked me right off.

By any legal or moral stance, paying consumers should not be the QA team for new products. They should be fit for purpose and works as advertised before they are sold. The world moved past Caveat Emptor long ago, and consumers have well defined rights and expectations.

Complaining about a newly released videogame that has a core feature fundamentally broken is the exact same thing as complaining if you buy a new car that has engine troubles, or a new TV and the speakers don't work.

Yep I'll probably never get the proper experience any more since the servers never worked and I already completed the tour mode. Would of been way more entertaining doing the tour and competing in a first playthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom