• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweep14

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with all of those points. Like I said, other than image quality, the game looks incredible. There's so many amazing points about it from a visual standpoint that I do feel the image quality degrades that a bit.

Image Quality is not the problem on this game. Screenshot image quality is.

HTupolev

The visuals, which almost everyone seems to be drooling over are not that great.
The visuals aren't great on the small scale; many objects individually lack high frequency detail and lighting/shadowing response, and the image quality is simultaneously grainy and somewhat smeared.

But on a larger scale, the game is crazy impressive. The world looks fleshed out with objects, the lighting across the scene on the whole is mostly convincing, those clouds... And it's all extremely real-timey, soon to feature incredibly cool dynamic weather on top of the real-time lighting and sky.
In motion and excitement, where fine details are not as scrutinized, the wide-scale correctness and richness and dynamicity should dominate and be glorious.

I don't think I'm going to be as blown away as I originally expected to be, but this game is going to look damned good.

you know the answer
Mario Kart 8, obviously.

;)

orochi91

tumblr_m70vbsTdrB1rropv0.gif

you know the answer

Probably Project Cars.

I was considering FH2, but that doesn't come close to DC in the visuals department.
Some poor screen shots aside, DC is on another level when in motion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My only concern with it being a 'standard' racer, is that maybe I won't do huge sessions on it. Whereas with something like forza if I get bored with racing I can change to aimlessly crisscrossing a grey circle on a map looking for a car I won't ever drive to break the tedium.

The relatively straightforward approach might damage it in reviews too, with reviewers finding it hard to say much about it other than the graphics. I hope the social aspects work well and help keep people engaged, but will that be fully up by the time of reviews?

On the positive side, I haven't had a racing game for ages where I spend tons of time on one track with one car, just improving my time over and over. A bit of that is the forced story nature of recent racing games always pushing you to the next thing, making each race almost disposable. Fingers crossed DC will be my score attack racing game, getting mileage out of repeat playing rather than just throwing content at me and hoping some of it sticks.

Ishan

I don't get the hype for this game. The visuals, which almost everyone seems to be drooling over are not that great. The visuals seem to be very inconsistent and there are better looking racing games out already.

For example ? And it's been well discussed this game went for realistic lighting so some videos / scenarios look better than others . Like in real life and when it looks good it looks amazing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Photo mode looks nice, but you know what I'd really like? Being able to adjust the time of day (and possibly season) and weather. So I can park my Ferrari in a nice spot and then adjust the sun so it is just right.

Afrikan

what is the benefit of getting the season pass day 1? or before launch?

If I pre-order the PS PLUS edition for $50 and pre load yada yada....and get the season pass later this week, am I going to be missing out on any savings?

darkwing

what is the benefit of getting the season pass day 1? or before launch?

If I pre-order the PS PLUS edition for $50 and pre load yada yada....and get the season pass later this week, am I going to be missing out on any savings?

Is the $50 ps+ sale permanent?

Photo mode looks nice, but you know what I'd really like? Being able to adjust the time of day (and possibly season) and weather. So I can park my Ferrari in a nice spot and then adjust the sun so it is just right.

You can adjust the time of day, weather as well as the time lapse of the level itself.

Afrikan

Done with my first session with the game for today. Had tons of fun, the only thing this game needs is custom soundtrack! Will try going into MP later to write my impressions on it.
ikXn8ng409GmM.jpg

about this pic... is that a CPU Car or is that you? I'm guessing another car.

if so, I thought someone said that other car's head lights don't project lighting on the environment? I mean there is even footage where that seems to be the case...but here, this car is actually doing it.

also, has Sony ever said anything about improving their capture quality on the system?

benzy

if so, I thought someone said that other car's head lights don't project lighting on the environment? I mean there is even footage where that seems to be the case...but here, this car is actually doing it.

also, has Sony ever said anything about improving their capture quality on the system?

You were probably reading a comment about GT6. All of the opponent cars in Driveclub cast their own dynamic headlights.

CPU car, I was looking behind me.

Afrikan

You were probably reading a comment about GT6. All of the opponent cars in Driveclub cast their own dynamic headlights.

in was in this thread and it was a comment from a gif that showed Cars going into a tunnel. I forget... but I just figured maybe that was from an older/review build or something.

but yes, the poster said like GT6 the same seems to be the case with DriveClub.

eitherway, nice to know that is actually not the case.

Man

Norway looks like a great location. Snowy mountains all the way down to the bottom of the fjord. I also see one of those classical stave-churches.

ShamePain

Banned
in was in this thread and it was a comment from a gif that showed Cars going into a tunnel. I forget... but I just figured maybe that was from an older/review build or something.

but yes, the poster said like GT6 the same seems to be the case with DriveClub.

eitherway, nice to know that is actually not the case.

They cast the lights, but don't cast shadows. Only player's car does.

DOWN

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom