• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

viveks86

Old drift challenges post patch are impossible!

In a few days all will be fair though!

They also plan to rebalance scoring in a future update so that clean drifting can match the old top scores. That's how they plan to make the existing leaderboards competitive without wiping it entirely

Also you guys nailed the slipstreaming, no more magic boost.

So you are saying people can put them pitchforks down?

Merun

@Rushy can we have the black bars at the bottom of the screen fade away after 2-3 seconds? I'd love to record footage of those beautful fly-bys without them :) they can reappear if we press any button.

I was thinking about having a screensaver mode after playing a bit in Japan. Gotta love all the colours of the country.

Whb29

@Rushy can we have the black bars at the bottom of the screen fade away after 2-3 seconds? I'd love to record footage of those beautful fly-bys without them :) they can reappear if we press any button.

The details in this game continue to amaze me - look closely at the first pic - the rain drops actually fall in between the blades of grass. No clipping or simple overlays, they actually made the effort to make the rain drops interact with the environment!

Spacebar

I just picked this up today. Does the season pass unlock all the cars in the garage with a store icon or do I have to buy them individually?

They also plan to rebalance scoring in a future update so that clean drifting can match the old top scores. That's how they plan to make the existing leaderboards competitive without wiping it entirely

So you are saying people can put them pitchforks down?

I'd rather see them wipe it. There will always be someone trying to beat the score of that guy above him on the leaderboards only to discover it was a faked score. Also, people that have put in clean scores will have to up their score as others will surpass them with the new scoring system.

Shaneus

I don't think they would have been aiming for realism with how often they appear. If they were, you would hardly ever see them. I think sometimes you have to ignore realism for the sake of atmosphere and effect.
Yeah, but you hardly see Aurora Borealis either and that's still in there :) Just feels a little too overdone and unrealistic compared to the rest of the lighting, IMO.

On that note though, I did one or two laps of each course last night in dynamic weather with a few different cars, and they were all an absolute blast to play. Evo have outdone themselves again, I honestly do hope they manage to find another location to digitise and release for us (comparatively) worthless peons! I would not argue if we had an Australian one with the Albert Park street circuit and the Great Ocean Road:
hwnxs9w.jpg

o2QXUFn.jpg

zHpBrXh.jpg

I'm surprised not one person has noticed the totally off gamma/brightness levels in cockpit view on all of Japan's new courses.

This is weird cause I tested all of the other courses in the game and even though I've noticed a slightly worse gamma change in the others....Japan by far has the worst gamma levels in cockpit mode.
Hope this gets patched soon but I won't hold my breath cause I seem to be the only one that's noticed so far and I'm sure most people don't really care about it :/

It was the first thing I noticed straight away and the game doesnt look so hot now imho.

Dammit :(

le-seb

Played the game a bit tonight, and these new tracks are fantabulous!

And I was finally able to launch the photo mode while using my wheel! Woot!
But why the fuck does photo mode still depend on controls only available from the DS4 when the game simply ignores any input from my DS4 when my wheel's connected? 😭

The game's aware that a wheel is connected, right?
So what about making it change the controls in case one has been detected so that one standard button cycles through the functions both analogue sticks and the touch pad are normally mapped to, and have the d-pad control them?

Pretty please, Evo, don't let me down!

Also, I've encountered a strange bug during my first race where all sounds would vanish as soon as I'm on track.
Simply restarting the race didn't solve the problem. And getting back to the menu neither.
I could still hear the UI sounds when selecting menus, but all in game sound effects and menu music had vanished.
Finally solved the problem by closing the game and restarting it again.

farmerboy

Finally a good reason why gaming in Australia doesn't suck. Update hit around 9:30 last night, perfect timing.

Leave the ps4 on standby, hit the hay, and when I get home today the update will be waiting for me. Wonderful.

airjoca

I'm surprised not one person has noticed the totally off gamma/brightness levels in cockpit view on all of Japan's new courses.

This is weird cause I tested all of the other courses in the game and even though I've noticed a slightly worse gamma change in the others....Japan by far has the worst gamma levels in cockpit mode.
Hope this gets patched soon but I world hold my breath cause I seem to be the only one that's noticed so far and I'm sure most people don't really care about it :/

It was the first thing I noticed straight away and the game doesnt look so hot now imho.

I noticed that, but only tried one race so I thought I could be imagining things, or it was caused by some particular lighting / time of day combination.

viveks86

Just forwarded a fun little Japan drift challenge. Some of you are already on it. Look me up under friend's challenges if you didn't get it from me.

Putty

Played the game a bit tonight, and these new tracks are fantabulous!

And I was finally able to launch the photo mode while using my wheel! Woot!
But why the fuck does photo mode still depend on controls only available from the DS4 when the game simply ignores any input from my DS4 when my wheel's connected? 😭

The game's aware that a wheel is connected, right?
So what about making it change the controls in case one has been detected so that one standard button cycles through the functions both analogue sticks and the touch pad are normally mapped to, and have the d-pad control them?

Pretty please, Evo, don't let me down!

Also, I've encountered a strange bug during my first race where all sounds would vanish as soon as I'm on track.
Simply restarting the race didn't solve the problem. And getting back to the menu neither.
I could still hear the UI sounds when selecting menus, but all in game sound effects and menu music had vanished.
Finally solved the problem by closing the game and restarting it again.

Rushy is aware of the sound issue and is looking into it.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just wanted to post this in the OT

but after the patch the gamma and brightness is totally off! the blacks are completely washed out. It looks terrible :(

I am not the only one with this issue. Anyway for a patch to fix this?

psychotron

Just wanted to post this in the OT

but after the patch the gamma and brightness is totally off! the blacks are completely washed out. It looks terrible :(

I am not the only one with this issue. Anyway for a patch to fix this?

Just now seeing posts about this. I've only used the outside the car view so I didn't notice earlier. Rushy, what say you?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Only gripe I have and it's a minor one is that all the content added isn't supported in the Accolades. No Japan listed in the Locations, no Cheverlet in the Manufacturers etc. A shame as that's more points one could add to their overall Solo and Club score.

Aside from that, the work Evolution is constantly adding is amazing. I tip my hat to the team for their hard work. Thank you.

I noticed that, but only tried one race so I thought I could be imagining things, or it was caused by some particular lighting / time of day combination.

I've tested almost every track. They've basically altered the gamma/brightness in pretty much every course so now the picture looks more washed out in general but in particular.....ALL Japan courses in cockpit view have a totally washed out picture because of the poor black levels.

psychotron

I've tested almost every track. They've basically altered the gamma/brightness in pretty much every course so now the picture looks more washed out in general but in particular.....ALL Japan courses in cockpit view have a totally washed out picture because of the poor black levels.

Is it only the in-car view?

Hope this gets patched soon but I won't hold my breath cause I seem to be the only one that's noticed so far and I'm sure most people don't really care about it :/

I noticed it straight away. Very grey. I thought it was just my capture card being dumb, as it often likes to send things haywire.

I also noticed the gamma issue when trying out the new tracks earlier today. Everything had a slightly washed-out look to it when racing in cockpit view.

Shaneus

Only gripe I have and it's a minor one is that all the content added isn't supported in the Accolades. No Japan listed in the Locations, no Cheverlet in the Manufacturers etc. A shame as that's more points one could add to their overall Solo and Club score.

Aside from that, the work Evolution is constantly adding is amazing. I tip my hat to the team for their hard work. Thank you.
Huh, that's a good point. Wonder if it'll come with the next (car) update?

Is it only the in-car view?
On all the new Japan tracks, yes...it is blatantly obvious in cockpit/dash cam.

I also noticed slightly worse black levels in almost every other course but Japan+Cockpit View is painfully obvious.

Anyone got screenshots to compare the gamma levels?
Well, we cant compare Japan cause.......Japan is new lol
Tbh, even if you could...in my eyes, it would be pointless comparing cause it's too obvious.

lordxar

Yea its definitely a little washed out in cockpit view on Japan but the other views are fine. Really dig all the new tracks! I don't see why there were wide road complaints, there's some bigger shoulders here and there but wasn't as bad as some made it sound.

viveks86

Well, we cant compare Japan cause.......Japan is new lol
Tbh, even if you could...in my eyes, it would be pointless comparing cause it's too obvious.

Well if it's black levels it should be possible to judge them with screenshots even without comparing. As you said, it would be obvious enough

Merun

Yea its definitely a little washed out in cockpit view on Japan but the other views are fine. Really dig all the new tracks! I don't see why there were wide road complaints, there's some bigger shoulders here and there but wasn't as bad as some made it sound.

The track seems narrower than they appeared on reveal. They really turned great in the end,

Like both point to point tracks, not really a fan of either circuit yet but all of the race tracks seem solid, especially with the KTM in cockpit view, no hud of course and manual transmission. Which reminds me, I'm not a big racing guy in general but I've had Driveclub since launch week and I think I'm finally ready to move to manual if it really does have a noticeable advantage over automatic drivers. I use a controller and 99.9% of the time I race in cockpit view with the hud disabled, any tips and whatnot?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Like both point to point tracks, not really a fan of either circuit yet but all of the race tracks seem solid, especially with the KTM in cockpit view, no hud of course and manual transmission. Which reminds me, I'm not a big racing guy in general but I've had Driveclub since launch week and I think I'm finally ready to move to manual if it really does have a noticeable advantage over automatic drivers. I use a controller and 99.9% of the time I race in cockpit view with the hud disabled, any tips and whatnot?

The biggest advantage I find with manual is downshifting for corners and choosing the right gear rather than let auto choose for you. Makes for faster exits.

viveks86

I'd rather see them wipe it. There will always be someone trying to beat the score of that guy above him on the leaderboards only to discover it was a faked score. Also, people that have put in clean scores will have to up their score as others will surpass them with the new scoring system.

Good points. Let's see what they end up doing. Really curious to find out how this shakes up the global leaderboards. Can't wait for the tour DLC.

Here's a screen I took yesterday from your drift challenge.
mznbhg.jpg

A capture after today's update for comparison.
brvzdn.jpg

Do you see any significant difference? I can't. Looks like the issue is isolated to Japan? I can't really tell from mangochutney's shot either

TEH-CJ

Banned
Is there supposed to be a free car with this update? or is it coming soon?

really loving the new tracks and subtle changes they have made. Also looks like the handling has been tweaked? its easier to spin out of control when accelerating hard around a corner. Anyone notice this?

btw new vid of japan coming soon :)

benzy

Do you see any significant difference? I can't. Looks like the issue is isolated to Japan? I can't really tell from mangochutney's shot either

In the old tracks it looks fine, but Japan's night time in cockpit/dashcam is definitely more washed out and the gamma is off. It's most apparent if you set it to night time, then go from hood view directly into dashcam. The gamma problem doesn't seem to affect 3rd person/bumper/or hood cam, just the cockpit and dash views in the Japan tracks.

Japan chasecam
dvohzd.jpg

Japan Dashcam
wrhzoh.jpg

Japan Cockpit
ozzzyv.jpg

India Cockpit
jbsbhn.jpg

Top Bottom