• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

TEH-CJ

Banned
I think the gamma issue affects the PS4 dynamic range output. Its as if the RGB dynamic range is set incorrectly. I had to double check my tv settings to make sure I didn't accidentally reset my settings.

its definitely apparent though. and it looks like the AA has gotten worse? or is it my eyes? The game looks muddy, for a lack of a better word.

Maybe its because of the washed out gamma? I am not sure, but Its amazing what black levels and gamma can do to the overall picture quality.

you guys know I love driveclub. Just pointing out my observations :)

benzy

Here are gifs of the gamma differences since in screens it's kind of difficult to tell.

Hood vs. dashcam
nevkal.gif

Japan cockpit vs India cockpit
pbovdp.gif

viveks86

In the old tracks it looks fine, but Japan's night time in cockpit/dashcam is definitely more washed out and the gamma is off. It's most apparent if you set it to night time, then go from hood view directly into dashcam. The gamma problem doesn't seem to affect 3rd person/bumper/or hood cam, just the cockpit and dash views in the Japan tracks.

Japan chasecam
dvohzd.jpg

Japan Dashcam
wrhzoh.jpg

Japan Cockpit
ozzzyv.jpg

India Cockpit
jbsbhn.jpg

I see it now. Thanks for these!

I remember TLOU had issues with gamma settings because people didn't have their ps4 RGB set properly. Apparently if you set it to automatic it doesn't always select the right method. Have any of you tried playing around with it on your PS4 and setting to full?

viveks86

I remember TLOU had issues with gamma settings because people didn't have their ps4 RGB set properly. Apparently if you set it to automatic it doesn't always select the right method. Have any of you tried playing around with it on your PS4 and setting to full?

But that should affect other tracks too right?

pbovdp.gif

Shaneus

More Venom goodness. I noticed the streaks on the windshield now, pretty intense!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HypFtan-j1Q
Yeah, the water overall looks much improved and less liquid metal-like. Also the new wiper speeds are fantastic.

I'm pretty much in love with Evo right now. Rushy seems to consider every serious suggestion and implement it if necessary. Possibly the best community service response I've seen with a large-scale retail game.

benzy

Not necessarily, with TLOU it was only a specific section in the game (downtown) that had the problem. I don't pretend to understand how it works or why though

I just tried setting the RGB to full and it makes the blacks really dark, basically giving me black crush on the screen. While the change in gamma between views is less noticeable, it's actually still there if I look carefully.

Wait, where's the option to disable the racing flags?

Set the crowd setting to none.

Drifters

I just tried setting the RGB to full and it makes the blacks really dark, basically giving me black crush on the screen. While the change in gamma between views is less noticeable, it's actually still there if I look carefully.

Set the crowd setting to none.
Yes where is the option (under what context menu) to remove the flags and people?

Shaneus

Holy shit. I was just watching this and this, and I realised that with DC getting as much praise as it has, how is it that something not looking all that different (in PGR4) failed to garner anywhere near as much attention?

People suck.

Still can't believe how good it held up. IMO motion blur in PGR4 still looks better than whatever's used for DC.

Holy shit. I was just watching this and this, and I realised that with DC getting as much praise as it has, how is it that something not looking all that different (in PGR4) failed to garner anywhere near as much attention?

People suck.

Still can't believe how good it held up. IMO motion blur in PGR4 still looks better than whatever's used for DC.

The people who did buy it had their minds blown! Sadly not enough people bought it for a variety of reasons. Such a bummer.

I picked DC up a few days ago, and I have to say it's one of the most fun console racers I've played in years. I've been really impressed. Looks bananas too, but duh, right?

VanWinkle

I started up the game and played the first Japan track. I was just so...happy. It was fun, it was beautiful, it was colorful, and I think it was the best first impression I got of any of the tracks in the game so far.

10896414_10155105598160626_3983759906412016171_o.jpg

10926176_10155105598705626_8526678519444559532_o.jpg

@Rushy can we have the black bars at the bottom of the screen fade away after 2-3 seconds? I'd love to record footage of those beautful fly-bys without them :) they can reappear if we press any button.
I thought the same thing as a sort of screen saver...

I always let my GTA V idle in some forest or desert while I'm working at home, and using the environment panning and soft ambience as a sort of screen saver, and the first time I saw that pre-game mode in DC I was hoping I could use it the same way. The black bars will burn my plasma though haha.

nib95

Banned
To the people having gamma issues, in the mean time when you load up a Japan track and are using cockpit view, if it has the option, just change your TV's gamma output setting from full to limited or vice versa (it can be switched on the fly without needing to go to your PS4 settings). Doing that will correct it, which is at least some form of fix till Evo sort it.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the Japan DLC. Just want to give kudos to the staff at Evolution, thanks for the hard work with this game, it has really turned into a classic racing game in my eyes.

Lol it's hilarious to see some of the ghosts on Japan tracks just driving around at 5 mph and stopping occasionally.

I assume everyone is taking in the scenery :p

I'm having trouble with the Venom hot lap II (using a controller). I'm currently just 0.1 off the 1:20 time. On more than one lap I've had the ghost overtake me on the home straight -- which gets really aggravating. I find it much harder than Venom hot lap I which I did in maybe an hour.

From memory the hardest corner with a controller is the first long left hander with negative camber, after that slowest left hander. You brake and turn in but if you are going a bit too slowly the car will catch the inner wall. If you carry too much speed you wash off that negative camber and lose too much time. With the controller I find it really difficult to find and hold that right steering angle even doing the st vitus dance on the stick.

There are only 2000 people on the global leader board with times better, and I'm really wondering whether the wheel is less frustrating because I feel like I'm fighting to get finesse into the controller rather than fighting to find a better line. It feels like assembling a watch with gloves on.

To the people having gamma issues, in the mean time when you load up a Japan track and are using cockpit view, if it has the option, just change your TV's gamma output setting from full to limited or vice versa (it can be switched on the fly without needing to go to your PS4 settings). Doing that will correct it, which is at least some form of fix till Evo sort it.

Tried both limited and full mate...still had the same problem. One of the other reasons it sticks out like a sore thumb is cause I have a 9G Pioneer Kuro plasma which is known for having good black levels. I'm sure you had one before too right?

Here are gifs of the gamma differences since in screens it's kind of difficult to tell.

Hood vs. dashcam
nevkal.gif

And there ya go...as I said in the first place. The thing is, Ive also noticed a slight change change in gamma in the older tracks, they have slightly worse black levels but....by far the worst offender is all the new Japan courses in cockpit/dash.

Japan cockpit vs India cockpit
pbovdp.gif

leng jai

Yeah, the gamma is definitely washed out during night racing using cockpit view. It's not as bad as it was in the early parts of TLOU. The game looked like it had a white filter going on it was that bad.

Very happy to say that they've tweaked the weather audio again and now you can finally hear the rain and wipers without straining your ears. The rain drops on the wind screen are still a bit soft for my liking but at this point it's down to taste. These are probably my favourite set of tracks so far. Beautiful scenery as usual and very enjoyable to drive. The first track in particular leaves a very good first impression.

This game is edging closer to a 10 for me with every update.

nib95

Banned
Good luck guys :)

Managed to pull a 1:07.069 in not too many tries. Reckon I have probably a 1:05 to 1:06 in me, but I think I'll settle for the time I currently have. I don't think I'll be able to top your time without a wheel or using without using manual (I'm using DS4/Auto). Using manual on a DS4 is especially tricky with the McLaren P1, as you also need to spare buttons for KERS and DRS.

On a side note, there's one chicane just before the bridge that I can't seem to nail as well as you. I always seem to get a corner penalty if I cut it in the same sort of way. I must be off the threshold for penalty by a few inches or something lol.

Got ya! :)

definitely some room on the front end of the run as you can see from my previous best... I kept blowing that corner coming out of the tunnel on my best runs, and you always nailed it

Damn, nice one dude.

thanks man

Well done :) Just seen this while on my way to work, beating it in under an hour and a half didn't give us Europeans a chance!

I've learnt from experience not to expect any time posted on here to last - if the GAFfers don't get ya the lurkers will! (Waves at Bathony, Maki etc)

On a side note, there's one chicane just before the bridge that I can't seem to nail as well as you. I always seem to get a corner penalty if I cut it in the same sort of way. I must be off the threshold for penalty by a few inches or something lol.

Yeah I was getting that when trying the track last night, seemed a daft place to penalise you just when you thought you'd nailed it without catching the rock wall.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, I can confirm that I'm also having the cockpit Japan gamma issue. Switching my TV from Full RGB Range to Normal seems to sort it (though it might make it a touch too dark, not entirely sure), but it's a bit of a nuisance having to do it just for Japanese tracks. TV model is Panasonic VT65 Plasma (ISF calibrated).

Has anyone done a write-up, or a video, on how a newbie could best improve? In DC or in racing games in general. I have been out of touch with the genre since forever.

I feel like I am progressing slowly, but I'm not sure I am learning the right things, or that I'm not missing anything. I have been doing the challenges sent to me or the club (thanks for those!) but at times it seems like I just can't keep up with the ghost, not even from the start.

Also I am at work thinking about racing.

thebloo

Has anyone done a write-up, or a video, on how a newbie could best improve? In DC or in racing games in general. I have been out of touch with the genre since forever.

I feel like I am progressing slowly, but I'm not sure I am learning the right things, or that I'm not missing anything. I have been doing the challenges sent to me or the club (thanks for those!) but at times it seems like I just can't keep up with the ghost, not even from the start.

I would very much like this as well.

nib95

Banned
Dash cam relevant in the rain again.

YES!! I can finally use dash cam in the rain with the Zonda R and other vehicles without being completely blind. I don't know if it's just the wiper speed difference, or if they've actually changed the water on the windscreen, but you can race in dash cam without a huge handicap compared to the other views now. Unless it's placebo, water droplets seem a little bit more dispersed allowing you to just about see through them, whereas before they sort of spooled together more like collective sploshes.

Other improvements.

I also feel like rain puddles bounce lightning light more effectively too.

Lastly, the audio balancing is pretty much perfect now. I'd say the lightning sounds were still a bit muted or subdued whilst in cockpit or dash cam, but in every video I've seen on YouTube of cars driving during lightning storms, it doesn't look like you can actually hear lightning very much, usually not at all. So if anything the balance is probably exaggerated for extra entertainment value.

Kudos again Evo. Lots of great little tweaks. It almost feels as through they're constantly browsing GAF keeping an eye on the things we're commenting on or requesting.

CozMick

Banned
The amount of times ive lost the lead in multiplayer due to being awe-struck by a rainbow in the distance is kinda disturbing.

nib95

Banned

I would very much like this as well.

I do agree this would be a great thing to do. Honestly, for me the most effective training tool for learning to race more effectively (besides real life experiences) was Gran Turismo, and all the License tests, especially the harder one's later down the line. They teach you the fundamentals of racing lines, drafting, effective braking, throttling and all the rest.

xrnzaaas

New tracks look great and I also like that most of them are looong. It's a shame that they weren't appearing in the multiplayer event browser when I was playing yesterday.

Top Bottom