• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

gooey

Neo Member
Is this game actually fun?
I read the Giant Bomb review and Jeff said it didn't play well.
Don't wanna wait for an inevitably massive download if it's meh.

Looking forward to this. It's been recommended by people whose opinions usually align with mine so I'm hoping to get into it.

I think Mario Kart 8 is the only racing game I've played on the current gen consoles. Weird!

No WipEout
No Wave Race
No F-Zero
No Motor Storm
No new IPs that aren't realism fetish racers

I went to the link provided by the OP (thanks OP!) and clicked "download to your Playstation" and it just seems to be caught in some sort of loop so I have no idea if it's working or not...

There is a large amount of people who didn't understand all the negative reviews. Don't expect a Gran Turismo but a fun arcade racer and it is really enjoyable.

Moozo

That review was pure bollocks. The handling is the one thing you CAN'T criticise about Driveclub

I guess it depends on whether or not you agree with Giant Bomb i guess. The point of the release is to try the game and see for yourself.

I love Giant Bomb but Jeff has the strangest taste in games.

A lot of his criticisms were valid to me but some weren't too and they've really supported the game well in the months since.

Give it a shot yourself I say.

Pop

He doesnt even like games.

So yes, download it. It's free, can't hurt to try it.

This is probably my favorite PS4 game so far. It's a lot of fun and it's challenging if you're trying to get all the stars (which I always do).

So far I've gotten all stars on every campaign (even all the DLC releases) and I'm at the highest rank possible. I'm just waiting for the next DLC expansion. Is this upcoming expansion the last one?

Laws00

Driveclub application data
3 hours left was 13 hours

Driveclub
update file
4 hours left was 14 hours

i hope this game is kewl.....i like driving sims

Sintoid

So Having Season Pass + Driveclub Plus Edition means what? You can play the events from the various DLCs (and various track locations)?
For me would be great, I still have to play most of dlc events and having the game installed without having to swap discs is a nice deal

So Having Season Pass + Driveclub Plus Edition means what? You can play the events from the various DLCs (and various track locations)?
For me would be great, I still have to play most of dlc events and having the game installed without having to swap discs is a nice deal

Yeah, I'm a bit confused how one goes from PS+ edition to "complete" edition. Do you have to download both the regular edition and the season pass or whatever?

TMC

Enjoy it everyone! Absolutely love this game and was well worth the price. Speaking of, I need to get back to the newest set of DLC packs.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused how one goes from PS+ edition to "complete" edition. Do you have to download both the regular edition and the season pass or whatever?
There's an PS+ upgrade edition somewhere, I'd quite imagine the game has in-built prompts that take you directly to where you need to go in the store to upgrade.

Loudninja

Don't know if anyone asked
what are the 15 cars?
  • Hot Hatch
    • Volkswagen Golf GTI [club]
    • Mini John Cooper Works GP
    • Audi A1 quattro
  • Sports
    • Bentley Continental GT V8 [club]
    • Mercedes A 45 AMG
    • Lotus Evora S
  • Performance
    • BMW M3 GTS [club]
    • Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale
    • Alfa Romeo 4C
  • Super
    • Bac Mono [club]
    • Audi R8 V10
    • Marussia B2
  • Hyper
    • Pagani Zonda R [club]
    • RUF CTR3
    • Koenigsegg Agera R

Klart

I don't think you understood his question.

There's the Plus edition, there's the regular edition (with Plus discount) & there's the season pass.

To get the "complete" edition is very simple, just buy the regular edition (with Plus discount) & the season pass & you have everything.

His question is whether you can combine the Plus edition & the season pass (which actually has a lot more content than just upgrading from the Plus edition to the regular edition).

Gestault

I don't understand why people are asking for impressions or if it's worth playing when the whole substance of this news is that there's a way to play the game yourself for free.

IaN_GAF

Pretty stoked to finally get to try it. Me and the people I usually game with don't regularly go for driving games so being able to give this a try is absolutely perfect because it looks astonishingly good. I guess the positive thing about the delay would be that the game is now less expensive should I wish to purchase a couple retail copies.

The game is heavily online focused, the ghosts, the Face Offs. Take the online stuff away and it becomes a bit of a dull game.

For that reason I don't think they'd want to have an offline version sitting there for countless months as people'd go 'this is junk, let's move on'.
^. For all the people bitching...it's free!

^. For all the people bitching...it's free!
It wasn't a bitch, and you cut the bit out about me being a supporter of the game.

People were just saying they could have released it months ago, but just an offline version. I simply stated, as an owner of the game since day 1, that the offline version is quite dull - it loses everything the game is about.

Functions fine obviously, looks great, handles great - but it's just barebones. So therefore, if they had have released it in offline mode and then spent a decade bringing it online, people would have formed an opinion that the game is legless and drab after their initial sessions and they'd become tired of going 'THE GRAPHIXXXXXX OMGGG'.

So better to hold back until you can be sure you can bring that online functionality into the game quickly and ensure people's opinion of the game will be the best it can be, so they're motivated to upgrade.

SomTervo

Unfortunately, my worry is hard drive space and bandwidth :(

I want to hear if it's worth playing because both are at a premium for me right now. (Not the case for most folk, I bet, who should just download the thing and try it)

Loudninja

Remember guys:
Starting on Thursday, all PlayStation Plus members can download Driveclub PS Plus Edition and begin playing the offline mode. Also starting Thursday, we will be rolling out online access to the Driveclub PS Plus Edition and will steadily bring more and more players online while continuously ensuring that all game systems are running smoothly. We know that this might be frustrating after your extra wait already, but hope you can understand that we are taking extra precautions to protect your experience when you do get online. We want to make sure we don’t overload the servers as we invite millions of PS Plus members to download the game tomorrow.

As an owner of the full version, my one bit of advice for the PS+ players; If you aren't enjoying it in offline mode, you will not enjoy it online. IMO, the online features add absolutely nothing to the game and more often than not make racing worse. Oh good, another shitty racing line to follow while AI cars block it going 10mph too slow. Ohhh yeah, a drift challenge where I have to hit a button to turn on "drift mode" aka the e-brake, and balance the car with awful, awful drift physics.

Driving fast without mindless AI cars around to ruin the fun, is the very few times this game shines and the online challenge crap is just a distraction with little to no reward. If the driving experience or winning races is not enjoyable to you by itself, save your money. I sure wish I did.

Top Bottom