• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

(replies to nibs...)

Seanspeed, I know you are more on the F1 side than the Gran Turismo side, so let me save you the time and suggest you quickly ignore nibs. He defends GT like it is one of his offspring and it seems it is more of a Sony thing than a GT thing based on his reactions to DC.

You will never win, save your breath keystrokes and move on.

Fevaweva

I expect the reviewer to at least be familiar with what what they are reviewing. If you don't know something as basic a hatchback, I can't really expect you to tell be something about the game I can't feel. e.g how forgiving over and under-steering is.

Jeff, the dude actually playing the game, knew what a hatchback was. Dan, the other one, didn't.

x-Lundz-x

Reviews all over the place, kinda what I expected to be honest. However, maybe having the PS+ edition will help drive sales with people who can try he game for free and like it enough to buy rather than saying no simply because of reviews.

Watching giant bombs quick look and couldn't believe you get a track warning less then 1 second after leaving the track, couldn't even cut corners on a lot of areas which seems bizarre. I am not a sim fan so I like a bit if crash and bash and I don't care if it penalises me in points , but flashing up warnings is bizarre.

Glad both forza and horizons have decent demos so I can easily compare.

c0de

vd5AHXE.jpg

I don't think so

Allison-Brie-Oh-God-Now.gif

How about an amazing handling model and physics, the best sound effects in the business, a truly dynamic lighting and volumetric cloud system, intelligent track design with diverse graduation, elevation and speed differentials, aggressive and intelligent AI, and an on the fly social challenge system coupled with a solid online component?

Haha. Were you paid for this?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Should be a solid free game on PSN+. A friend and I played this and Horizon at PAX and liked Horizon more, looks like that's the general consensus. I'll take it for free though, there's always fun to be had.

alterno69

Banned
Besides Gamespots score it seems to be getting fair numbers according to what i expected.

I just want a driving game that is fun to drive. I have tried every racing game this gen and they all feel so sterile to me. NFS games are more like a Madmax simulator than a racing game, Forza is too sim and boring to me, running through crops in a Lamborgini with the road blocked seems silly to me.

I will try the PS+ version and judge for myself.

At this point i'd kill for a remake of PGR2, the gratest racing game ever made.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Can someone point me towards the review by someone who has at least played a racing game before? If I have to read one more review about the romance and soul of the game, I'm going to have a meltdown.

Yopis

It seems to be the problem most Sony exclusives are having.

Killzone: Ok shooter with great graphics
Infamous: Ok sandbox with great graphics
Driveclub: From reviews sounds like an ok racer with great graphics
The Order: From all the previews I've read it sounds like an ok shooter with great graphics

They need to start focusing on games that have more than just graphics.
Bloodborne looks like a great first step

Will get bad reviews also anything out of Japan is guaranteed 7's in this new climate. Funny how graphics and resolution don't matter anymore good coincidence Microsoft didn't focus on that.

Jo-El

Wow, I didn't expect the reviews to be all over the place like this. I guess I'll stick with the demo for now and see if I want more after a week or two. I'm still really excited to try it out!

Edit: Hmm, even some of the more negative reviews make it sound like I would probably still enjoy it. I really wish they let us preload the demo :p

Subjective

Nah.

Graphics-related, not helping your point.

Diverse graduation? lol

Anyways, subjective.

Debateable and subjective.

Nice, but not new.

I'm glad you like it. It doesn't mean others have to.

God what an awful post. If you disagree at least have some substance to your argument. Saying 'Nah' and 'Debateable' without even debating anything just makes you come across as daft.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This thread is very interesting to read.

I am not suggesting any kind of conspiracy, but it is incredibly strange that, so far, every PS4 AAA exclusive has been taken to the woodshed in terms of reviews. It makes me wonder how Bloodborne and The Order will fare.

This is great, conspiracies everywhere.

Bloodborne will review great, but I wouldn't expect too much from The Order.

Doran902

Does anyone else feel like reviewers are being much harsher this generation? It feels like an incredibly negative industry.

iceatcs

Quite surprise there isn't much lower scores I'm expecting, after I disappointedly found out that most of the features aren't day one, it won't pleasure to the reviewers even after delay.

I think they are very luckily delayed it 8 months. I can't imagine how it will score if it come on Feb.

Some are very surprise like Polygon, because I cannot see how it will score higher than FH2 with that contents. So it isn't about what graphics or contents it had, but more of how it feel on driving and the gameplay.

RK128

Knack was amazing that's why! (lol I feel like I may be the only person who liked Knack T_T)

Well I didn't call it bad :l (mediocre is much better then bad; Sonic 06 and Shadow was bad for example).

I just found the game (at least, what I played of the GS demo) to be quite.....boring :(. If the game was like a Crash game instead of some bizarre Crash/God of War Hybird, I might of liked it more :).

I don't own the game, so maybe I'm wrong here; it might be a good game :D.

Sorry if I bothered you though :(; didn't mean to insult a game you enjoyed.... (I know how that feels, considering I love the Sonic series).

Sorry bro, not into that positive reinforcement gameplay with heavy aim assist. SF is a much better competitive game than both. Campaign is better too though it does have its flaws. Killzone guns are actually fun to shoot unlike those two
Whhops. Miss quote. Disregard

I love review threads. A website is unprofessional and awful if they don't review a game you like positively. You guys wouldn't be criticizing these sites if they liked Driveclub. Face it - Driveclub might just be a decent game at best.

I was hyped for this until I started getting into FH2. Now I have all the racing game I'll need for a while...I'll get around to checking out the ps+ version, eventually

Naudi

Banned
Tell that to Destiny, friend. Anything below an 85 is considered a disaster by most people.

Which is a stupid mentality to have.

Yeah guess so....I'm just weird cause I still play Destiny every day and enjoy it lol

What?
It looks nothing like GT what are you talking about?

What I just said seems like the prevailing point of view. Even from the moment DC was revealed, there were instantly people saying "looks too much like Gran Turismo".

The only real differentiator to a person just glancing at a gameplay video is that the DC tracks are larger and set in open looking environments.

jett

D-Member
you gotta be fuckin kidding me

you just generalized an entire genre with

NOTHING BUT MEDIOCRE AND POORLY CONSTRUCTED POINT TO POINT RACES

you don't like it? good

but don't go around spouting shitty nonsense

As someone that loved Burnout Paradise, that's pretty much the open world racing experience.

LifEndz

Lots of GB's quicklooks are aimed towards people first impressions of a game, where people doing the quick look are new to it as well. It's nothing new.

Maybe giantbomb changed. It used to be the person playing the game was somewhat informed and the other person was not, so the person playing would answer the other's questions. And he doesn't sound new to it at all. He's going on and on about what the devs told him about mechanics of the game, but has no idea about the plus version?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Eh.. The reviews don't seem as bad as many of the posts in here seem to suggest.

What the freaking heck. I was totally digging everyone's reactions as they started playing last night. I have no idea what other reviewers are thinking. I guess I can read some things and shake my head after a little while.

My GameTrailers Review for those who missed it - 8.6 (am I going to be the highest or what?) http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hk4dfa/driveclub-review

That's a pretty good review actually. I'm not referring to the score, as those mean nothing to me. I'm referring to the fact that it actually gave me some insight into the game, both positively and negatively. That felt like a gamers review and not an artists review. I mean that in a good way.

Eh.. The reviews don't seem as bad as many of the posts in here seem to suggest.

It's GAF. You have to take a lot of the comments with a grain of salt.

Will get bad reviews also anything out of Japan is guaranteed 7's in this new climate. Funny how graphics and resolution don't matter anymore good coincidence Microsoft didn't focus on that.

ehrm Demon's Souls got awesome scores, so did Dark Souls, so I don't agree with that

Hugstable

Banned
Wait...You can't tune cars or change the paint jobs?

Nope not much customization from what I've heard and is one of the few things holding me off from wanting to buy the full version. I'm still waiting for more user impressions before I truly make up my mind with this one since there are still so many other games coming out this year I need to be wise with my money, but I really love racing games and have been craving something new and the only racing games I don't like are arcade style and I've never played Open World racer so I never got spoiled on that so Closed Circuit wouldn't be a problem for me.

The PS4 needs a Forza killer like the Xbone needs an Infamous killer. Neither franchise is a big seller. Sony already has the world's most popular racing franchise; they just need to make sure GT7 is good and out by early 2016.

The fact that they put that quote in there is beyond dumb. It raises expectations to much to call something an "XX-Killer", but besides that, they already have Gran Turismo which was the Forza Killer many years before Forza even existed.

Bold One

The last thing anyone should recommend is that reviewers collude to produce reviews from a collective mindset. This diverse environment is exactly what keeps reviews refreshing and relevant.

at no point did I suggest collusion but
there needs to be an industry standard.

Reviews are all over the place for games lately, there is no criteria for objective quality anymore

Top Bottom