• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

T.O.P

Banned
What, racing on nothing but mediocre and poorly constructed point to point races is not for you?

you gotta be fuckin kidding me

you just generalized an entire genre with

NOTHING BUT MEDIOCRE AND POORLY CONSTRUCTED POINT TO POINT RACES

you don't like it? good

but don't go around spouting shitty nonsense

Seanspeed

Banned
How about an amazing handling model and physics
Subjective

the best sound effects in the business
Nah.

a truly dynamic lighting and volumetric cloud system
Graphics-related, not helping your point.

intelligent track design with diverse graduation, elevation and speed differentials
Diverse graduation? lol

Anyways, subjective.

aggressive and intelligent AI
Debateable and subjective.

and an on the fly social challenge system coupled with a solid online component?
Nice, but not new.

I'm glad you like it. It doesn't mean others have to.

Are Gamespot crazy?

How does anything in that game look bland? I don't even have to own it to know that this is plain BS.

Funny thing is their reviewer for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze said the same thing about that game's environments which is crazy to me.

It would've reviewed better if it were 60 fps. A person's psychological mindset plays a big part in how well they perceive games, and whether they're consciously aware of it or not, high framerates illicit a much more positive mental response than low framerates. The (possibly unconscious) negative reaction illicited by Drive Club's low framerate is a major reason for the low reviews -- it caused the reviewers to focus more on Drive Club's negative aspects than the positives, and is also the chief motivator for the nonspecific complaints against the game (e.g. "it lacks passion/magic/etc."). Unfortunately most console developers aren't smart enough to realize this and so we will continue to be saddled with 30 fps games.
\

Explain forza horizon 2 great reviews.

What?
It looks nothing like GT what are you talking about?

The press looks at realistic cars that plays semi-realistically = eh, it looks like GT, except not in race tracks.

I don't always agree with Bruiser, but it's kinda true that there's a partial sentiment of lack of understanding of what DC is as a game. Part of it stems from the press just not being interested in DC, but perception is what it is.

The 'hooks' of DC isn't visually different enough that outsiders will immediately look at it different. NFS has the cops/racer gimmick. DC's Face-Offs, Clubs aren't really as gameplay different like NFS.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why did I pick up a PS4 at launch again, most of its exclusives have been pretty lousy... :(
I am starting to regret my purchase as I have barely touched the thing over the past year.

You could always ask people on Gaf what they thought of the game. They seem to be at complete odds with these reviews.

flkraven

you and your reviewer friends need to have a sit down and really think about what makes a game good and realise that you can't re-invent the wheel everytime you make a game.

start reviewing games for what they are, not what you wish them to be

The last thing anyone should recommend is that reviewers collude to produce reviews from a collective mindset. This diverse environment is exactly what keeps reviews refreshing and relevant.

Liamario

Banned
Hate to be reactionary and I normally only use reviews as a guide, but pre-order cancelled. The game looks great, but money isn't exactly flowing and the review scores sealed the deal for me. Of course, I'll still play the ps plus version and if I like it enough I'll upgrade. Very disappointing reviews :-(

Like Bloodworth said earlier, there's a text version to every GT review

Last
-and best imo-
paragraph:
However, while it’s not as broad in scope as some of its contemporaries, we aren’t finding ourselves getting bored of Driveclub. On the contrary, the more time we invest, the more we just want to keep playing. Driveclub is a focused, thrilling racer for players looking to push themselves and compete in all new territory, working up a sweat as its captivating sights and sounds fill your senses.
in case OP wants to add it.

nib95

Banned
Maybe you need to realize that some people genuinely aren't impressed with the gameplay on offer.

Every review thread, especially one where a game is scoring lower than hype would anticipate, there is a mad push by some to dismiss all opinions that aren't positive. Its amazing how predictable this behaviour is.

Only one or two of the reviews really aren't impressed with the gameplay. And it goes against the dozens of impressions from GAF'ers who got the game early, and the other positive reviews too, yet those are the review most are latching on to.

There are so many videos and streams etc out there of the game, we already know much of the written stuff in the Gamespot review is rubbish. The AI is not monotonous and dumb, nor are they averse to avoiding cars at all, in-fact they're highly intelligent, just extremely aggressive. Watch the Inside Sim racing live demo, or countless other videos, and you can see clear as day, Legend AI aren't messing around.

Footos22

Looks like its lacking in different content and its a bit old school. Choose car choose track, go, that was the main reason forza 5 didnt even hit an 80 on metacritic.

Still excited to try PS+ version.

SgtCobra

you gotta be fuckin kidding me

you just generalized an entire genre with

NOTHING BUT MEDIOCRE AND POORLY CONSTRUCTED POINT TO POINT RACES

you don't like it? good

but don't go around spouting shitty nonsense
Jeez calm down, not everyone experiences Forza Horizon the same way as you do. It's common, no game can be universally liked.

74/100 is pretty good isn't it? So much doom and gloom for a solid racer that seems to be a lot of fun.
Everything under 85 is mediocre.
Or so I'm told.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
So by that logic I should be familiar with modern weapons systems to have a trustworthy and honest opinion on Battlefield 4?

I expect the reviewer to at least be familiar with what what they are reviewing. If you don't know something as basic a hatchback, I can't really expect you to tell be something about the game I can't feel. e.g how forgiving over and under-steering is.

Hugstable

Banned
So, the game that got pushed back a year still isn't amazing :l?

Oh well :); at least their is a the PS+ Version people can try to out see if they like it or not :D.

Really is a shame that it is reviewing so badly :(; Evolution did very solid work with the MotorStorm games, so I hope they don't get shut down because of these scores....

Then again, Studio Japan is still kicking despite Knack being mediocre, so who knows :D.

Knack was amazing that's why! (lol I feel like I may be the only person who liked Knack T_T)

It would've reviewed better if it were 60 fps. A person's psychological mindset plays a big part in how well they perceive games, and whether they're consciously aware of it or not, high framerates illicit a much more positive mental response than low framerates. The (possibly unconscious) negative reaction illicited by Drive Club's low framerate is a major reason for the low reviews -- it caused the reviewers to focus more on Drive Club's negative aspects than the positives, and is also the chief motivator for the nonspecific complaints against the game (e.g. "it lacks passion/magic/etc."). Unfortunately most console developers aren't smart enough to realize this and so we will continue to be saddled with 30 fps games.

This is probably the most bullshit, pulled from my ass information I'll read all day. There is no psychological impact caused by framerates. Where are you getting this from?

mujun

All impressions from those who got the game early or are playing have been extremely positive. Gaming journalism.

It's not like all the people hyping themselves up just before a game release in an OT are prone to hyperbole or anything either. Message boards.

yurinka

Main Spanish reviews (W.I.P. POST):

3D Juegos 8.0/10 (Very good)
http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/analisis/15706/0/driveclub/
If you're looking for a next-gen driving experience you should check DriveClub. Not only due to its prominent visuals, but also for its social aspect that engage us like just a few other games to improve our times again and again. It may lack more variety on its gameplay core and more refinement on its control style, but without any kind of doubt it's a great genre start for the PS4 users.

Vandal.net 8.5/10
http://www.vandal.net/analisis/ps4/driveclub/20530
Not a perfect game, but it's a very good start for an driving exclusive alternative to Gran Turismo. In a couple of months some of our complains will be addressed through free game updates (...) The game improves as you play it more and more.

Hobby Consolas 86/100 (Very good)
http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reviews/analisis-driveclub-para-ps4-87216
Pros: The interativity. Day-night cycle. The motors. The cockpit view. PS+ edition.
Cons: Limited cars list. (Still) no rain or replays. Not too flexible matchmaking. Short Tour Mode.

Meristation 8/10 (Very good)
http://www.meristation.com/playstation-4/driveclub/analisis-juego/1841144
Correctly polished, you'll play for more than a week, even it's possible that in a future you'll come back to play it again. Every aspect of the game is polished. Buy it.

Eurogamer Spain 7/10
http://www.eurogamer.es/articles/analisis-de-driveclub-ps4
The 1st exclusive PS4 racing game driving experience feels fresh even if doesn't really invent anything new. It's really accessible but doesn't fully bet on the arcade way, which sometimes makes its feel that it's on nowhere's land.Even if offering a short amount of content, Driveclub last longer than expected than you may imagine, partly due to spectacular races that find this precise balance that you always want to play,

I don't understand the hype for people who rave about MCC other than nostalgia. How long is that going to last after the first month? It's like PS4 owners bragging about TLOU. X1 has Sunset Overdrive which looks wicked though!

C'mon man, seriously? Take off those rose tinted glasses for a second. A month? You realize that the multiplayer for Halo games are played for YEARS right? Not to mention this is the first time Halo CE will have online MP and we'll be able to play Halo 2 online again. Not to mention Halo 3/4 updated in 1080/60.

On another note these scores are lower than I expected. I thought it would average in the high 70s or maybe even low 80s. I'll still probably try it out once I get my PS4, but this doesn't seem like a competent PGR successor at all.

When I really think about it, MotorStorm was kind of the same way. The first two was amazing looking with beautiful graphics. But the racing itself was pretty thin with brutal AI and floaty/shoddy handling.

But the third one was pretty darn amazing and was the high point of the series.

Perhaps Drive Club can be fine tuned and evolve like MotorStorm. First one was a graphical showpiece. Second took it a step further. And then finally, the third game was the full fruition of the series.

I don't want to be rude and say some remark like " there won't be a sequel," but I'm hoping patches and updates can salvage Drive Club to what it promised.

But you'll notice that Microsoft's two racing games look completely different from one another. The strange thing about Driveclub from the very beginning is how similar it looked to Sony's other first party racer. I've heard lots of members of the gaming press refer to Driveclub as a sim racer, like GT, and I don't blame them for that. Watching a clip of the game would give you no indication it's different.

Wut? DC looks just like GT in the same way FH looks like F5.

The environments in both sets of games (DC/FH v GT/F5) are completely different. They're world's apart.

I personally had a blast with DC. It really struck a chord, so much so I preordered the digital Plus upgrade rather than wait for my mate to get it me for £20 (via SCEE staff sales).

Every PS4 Plus owner should try it out and make your own mind up. I'm almost certain you'll feel differently once you've tried it. I'll admit I was sceptical based on not really liking MS:A (hated the handling) but I was converted

If you're the type of person who enjoys fixed track racing, you'll enjoy DC. If you need open-world type stuff then maybe it's not for you. I just wish the gaming "media" would understand not everyone wants or enjoys open-world; a lot of us prefer a narrower, tighter linear focus.

As for the "Forza Horizon hur-dur's", honestly, what's the point in risking your posting privs just to be a smart-arse about a game you have interest in anyway? This thread is gonna be a "grey"-veyard very soon, I suspect.

I kinda saw this coming with how they've structured updates and pretty much relying just on visuals to hype the game. I'm still enjoying it for what little I've played today. Driving feels great and the game looks amazing at times. That first day-night racing transition is awesome. Hope the weather patch comes along soon.

Looked soulless from the very beginning and the EGX demo was so startlingly mediocre. Really wish I had an Xbone for FH2; can't believe NFS Rivals is still the best racing game on PS4, which isn't saying much.

I agree with that. The concept of this game is just shitty and on top of that i really see no reason to buy a game to release that wants to be a service.

The only appeal this game had on me were the graphics but the gameplay foundation just screamed bland and shallow.

Naudi

Banned
74/100 is pretty good isn't it? So much doom and gloom for a solid racer that seems to be a lot of fun.

We are horribly OT here... yet, no.

Call of Duty and Battlefield gameplay are much better than Killzone's gunplay, at least comparing the latest entries.
Sorry bro, not into that positive reinforcement gameplay with heavy aim assist. SF is a much better competitive game than both. Campaign is better too though it does have its flaws. Killzone guns are actually fun to shoot unlike those two

Top Bottom